• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Sikhism Against People Who Use Their Minds?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
findingmyway ji

When I first joined SPN I had the same frustration. Perseverance reading and study of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji makes this clear:

Gurbani encourages the use of bibek buddhi-our intellect and discerning to understand the message of gurbani so not using the mind is not an option!

"Manmukh" also does not necessarily lead to a life of obsessive lust, greed, pride, anger, and attachment.

Nor does the tuk, mean we should give up our studies and discussions.

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਵਾਚਹਿ ਪੋਥੀਆ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਹਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
Pandiṯ vācẖėh pothī▫ā nā būjẖėh vīcẖār.
The Pandits, the religious scholars, read their books, but they do not understand the real meaning.
mean that scholarship, discussion and debate should be abandoned. But this and other tuks are continually taken from context and tossed about as evidence we should abandon them

It is the mind that seeks

ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਪੁਰਖ ਬਿਧਾਤੇ ਸਰਧਾ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਪੂਰੇ ॥
Anṯarjāmī purakẖ biḏẖāṯe sarḏẖā man kī pūre.
O Inner-knower, Searcher of Hearts, O Primal Being, Architect of Destiny: please fulfill this yearning of my mind.
and the mind that is satisfied

and the mind that finds satisfaction.

ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥
Gāvī▫ai suṇī▫ai man rakẖī▫ai bẖā▫o.
Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

P0TTER

SPNer
Mar 25, 2011
it not only sikhism but every religion hate people who use his/her mind
just for some knowledge and entertainment please watch this old classic,if u can
name is
INHERIT THE WIND
link to commercial download site removed. Spnadmin
For your info...
In the New Testament Christians are urged to be as wise as serpents, but as gentle as doves.
Christians are certainly commanded to use their whole mind, having put on the helmet of salvation.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
This whole thread makes me very uncomfortable. How does gurmukh or manmukh relate to whether you use your mind? Are people saying that the mind should not be used to be a gurmukh (blind faith) or are people saying that not using the mind to follow and focus on the gurbani makes one a manmukh? I am confused!

Gurbani encourages the use of bibek buddhi-our intellect and discerning to understand the message of gurbani so not using the mind is not an option!

This is an interesting point, watching the religious tv channels again the other day, I watched a preacher talking to a large number of people about his definition of gods will. The religion concerned is not important, but it was not a sikh channel. He stated that if everyone followed the rules as set out in their holy book, then they would all go to heaven, where everything was wonderful, and if they did not, they would go to hell, and there was much mention of fire, implements of torture etc. At no point was the subject of 'understanding' mentioned. The message was clear, do these things, go to heaven, do these other things go to hell. The preacher talked about how hard it was to resist doing bad things, but we all had to attempt to shut off that bad voice and listen to the good voice.

Findingmywayji, this is the type of religion that , in my view, does encourage you not to use your own mind. I could have stopped living as a fool years ago, but in my view, that would have been blind faith, what I personally needed was intelligent and reasoned arguments why I would not want to live like that anymore, and that I found here on this forum.

That has been my search, not for some authority to tell me whats wrong and right, but for my mind to develop to a point where things that I could do without even thinking before, now, I have no desire or need to do them anymore. I hope to die in peace doing what I do, not out of fear of hell, or desire of heaven, but because in my heart, I have no attraction for them.

I still drink sometimes, I know that each drink I have takes me further away from the truth, and each absent day helps me get closer, at some point, I will have to make a decision, which is more attractive to me?, I will have to ponder the effects of even the odd drink with my beliefs and attempt to reconcile that as to what I actually am. In time, I will not even have my weekly odd lager, as the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks, this takes understanding faith and a working brain. I personally would rather throw myself off a cliff than adhere to a religion that deep down, was a fight and struggle all the way to the end, blind faith..

P0TTER

SPNer
Mar 25, 2011
I can't help, but reply as a Christian, because that is what I am.
If we look in the New Testament, the thing that Jesus said most of all was "Fear not."
God is Love and Love casts out fear, so as we walk with God we can find strength and hope to do the right thing.
Following rules & regulations is not much fun is it?
Much better to live with the Spirit of God, rather than with the Letter of the Law.
The Bible says, 'The Law kills, but the Spirit brings Life'
Furthermore, as you say... it is not a matter of a 'blind faith'
Faith needs to have substance and according to the Bible, 'Faith is the presence of things hoped for, of things believed in.'
So our walk is with God and we go forward in faith...
We are inspired by God who is perfect; and our walk of faith is accompanied by prayer to Him, to abide with us and help us walk in a way that is pleasing in His sight and pleasing to others.
We live in a world that is constantly changing and we also are constantly changing, but we hope to walk in righteousness and truth, in Peace and Love. :mundabhangra:

Aug 28, 2010
POTTER Ji ,
I agree to your views as revealed in the new testament .In India I have lestened to the discourses of Chritianity and many times I get the feelings of the effects of messages as similar to what we get from our SGGS.
We should bear in mind that tha Basic Principles are everywhere almost same just as Basic laws of science are same all over the world.
We should have first strong understanding of Very fundmental and Basic laws before we make elaborative explanations.But generally we ignore the fundamental and Basic conepts of the philosophy and directly enter into lenghty dialogues leading to nowhere and we all stand again where we start.
I personally listen to the discourses of different religious philosophies and I find that there are persons talking about the fundamentals and Basics only .I find not much difference there.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
From Gurbaani we can know that to become Munmukh or to become Gurmukh is not our choice.One becomes aware of this by the grace of GuRU only then transformation from Munukh to Gurmukh takes place.

Prakash.S.Bagga

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: