• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It Possible For Poor Sikhs To Wear Turban

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Also kelly mocking and teasing of sikhs because of turban is something that is not unexpected.The whole world has unwritten rule that if you look different you are an object of fun for people.The recent india australia cricket series is perfect example of this when indian crowd specifically targeted an australian player who has dark skin,lond trinidad hairstyle and he wear something white on his lips, by calling him monkey faced.These are same indians who shout racism racism but this time indians are exposed as racists.Now
Indian cricket team is going to australia and aussies have already threatened for payback.

So wherever sikhs will live chances are they will be teased and mocked by majority.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
i really don't like the subject line of this thread.

just because american police makd a point to prosecute hate crimes and you see them on the news doesn't make them commonplace. since 9/11 there have been a very small number of very highly publicised attacks on sikhs. the number of actual attacks is so small it's really sad that people actually use it as an excuse to not keep their identity.

solution?

don't cut your hair, that's for sure. take amrit, carry kirpan, know how to defend yourself if someone does harm you. do your nitnem daily, do ardas, do seva, be an upstanding citizen. nitnemi sikhs radiate peace, no one could attack such a person.

I see Kelly's answer to make perfect. If someone made a similar comment about Malaysia, my country - I would defend in a similar fashion.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
so what's your solution?

1)Sikhs should be mentally and physically strong.mental strongness is much more important .

2) all sikhs should try to spread sikhism and create awaraeness about sikhism.It is a must and do and die situation for sikh identity.

3)The sikh who cut their hair because of this problem should not shunned down rather they should be approached and asked why they cut their hair and if possible try to help them

Oct 31, 2006
:shutup:Here is the news of attack on sikh taxi driver

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sikh taxi driver assaulted in Seattle- Hindustan Times
In what the police say may have been a hate crime, a Sikh taxi driver was brutally assaulted in Seattle by a passenger.
The 48-year-old driver, Sukhvir Singh, is in a hospital for kidney and respiratory damage caused by the attack over the weekend.

The suspect, 20-year-old Luis A Vazquez, was released from custody on a $25,000 bond on Monday. He was yet to be charged, the Seattle Times has reported.

According to the police, Singh picked up the suspect in a drunken state at a football stadium on Saturday evening. Shortly into the cab ride, the fan began yelling obscenities at the driver, using racial slurs and calling him an "Iraqi terrorist".

At some point, the man began hitting the driver in the head and neck. After a while, Singh stopped the cab and got out. But the passenger followed him and continued to hit him.

The Sikh Coalition, which fights racism against Sikhs, has condemned the attack and urged prosecutors to charge the alleged attacker with hate crime.

In a statement, the Coalition quoted Singh as saying: "I am in a lot of pain and don't understand why someone would do this to me. I love America and hope that in my case justice will be done."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now please don't mind or get offended but my question is that possible for sikhs which are not so educated or rich and doing jobs like taxi or truck driver to wear turban.
Its easy for rich and resourceful sikhs to preach that all sikhs should wear turban but what about these people.The conflict between america,europe and islamic world is growing.
They see pictures of bin laden and other islamic terrorists in turban and whenever any one
of their soldier dies they will retalitae as there are many crazies in this world.So is it possible for them to wear turban if yes then what is the solution.

please comment
Sat Shri Akal
We should educate our community in English countries regarding our religion and train them how to handle such situations. I am from New Zealand and a Pharmacist, but work as Bus driver part time. The same treatment I get from English ppl. But I tell them that I am a Sikh from Punjab but not a muslim. Moreover we should have more than two kids as we are minority in India and World. More kids means our religion and people would no longer be in minority in future. Educate other people aswell and aware them who we are. Thanks

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Sat Shri Akal
We should educate our community in English countries regarding our religion and train them how to handle such situations. I am from New Zealand and a Pharmacist, but work as Bus driver part time. The same treatment I get from English ppl. But I tell them that I am a Sikh from Punjab but not a muslim. Moreover we should have more than two kids as we are minority in India and World. More kids means our religion and people would no longer be in minority in future. Educate other people aswell and aware them who we are. Thanks

Sat sri akal and welcome to spn

Thank you for sharing your experiance with all of us.The best solution is we should try to spread sikhism in whole world.If local people of other countries will embrace sikhism then
this problem will also reduce.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Moreover we should have more than two kids as we are minority in India and World. More kids means our religion and people would no longer be in minority in future. Educate other people aswell and aware them who we are. Thanks

Welcome to SPN !

Totally Agree with your point . There is no reason for sikh to restrict their children no to two /or one obviously if they can afford

In the recent religion based concensusu in India Sikh have least Fertility among all the religions and muslims have highest fertility which means sikh poulation is shrinking in India and its much faster then we think it is

In Punjab two main reason : Family control measure have been very succesful. even in the remotest villages its very difficult to find any househould with more than two kids ( in poor community and so called lower caste community situation is different )

The reason is punjabis love for the SONS in preference to Daughters . In the past peopel used no family control and would go for as many many kids in hope to have atleast one SON in family ( I had a friend in my high school who had 9 sisters and he was the youngest kid , the tenth and the last one!!!)
But now punjabi are just killing all the girls and just geting their boys

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Welcome to SPN !

Totally Agree with your point . There is no reason for sikh to restrict their children no to two /or one obviously if they can afford

In the recent religion based concensusu in India Sikh have least Fertility among all the religions and muslims have highest fertility which means sikh poulation is shrinking in India and its much faster then we think it is

In Punjab two main reason : Family control measure have been very succesful. even in the remotest villages its very difficult to find any househould with more than two kids ( in poor community and so called lower caste community situation is different )

The reason is punjabis love for the SONS in preference to Daughters . In the past peopel used no family control and would go for as many many kids in hope to have atleast one SON in family ( I had a friend in my high school who had 9 sisters and he was the youngest kid , the tenth and the last one!!!)
But now punjabi are just killing all the girls and just geting their boys

Dr.khalsa ji

What are you saying.Do you think it is possible. with more and more women opting for career do you think that sikh women will be ready to produce more kids.Also what about the fathers they have to work tirelessly to support their family.With today's world's lavish lifestyle its nearly impossible.For more kids both parents have to make lot of sacrifices
like previous generations.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear KDS ji

Your point is very valid !

I am just suggesting it people who can afford it economically and other wise also ( which includes personal preference , life goals etc)

I have many sikh collegues who are doctors and are willing to go more kids just because they can afford it .

You would be suprised to know that In UK many pakistani migrants deliberately go for more KIDS why ? then Government is going to give your more support in terms of big housing benifet and more other benefits . So my point here is that its just perception diffrenece . Modern perception is less / no kids lot of time to shape up your life and more happiness while some people just feel happy rearing thier dozen kids

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Dear KDS ji

Your point is very valid !

I am just suggesting it people who can afford it economically and other wise also ( which includes personal preference , life goals etc)

I have many sikh collegues who are doctors and are willing to go more kids just because they can afford it .

You would be suprised to know that In UK many pakistani migrants deliberately go for more KIDS why ? then Government is going to give your more support in terms of big housing benifet and more other benefits . So my point here is that its just perception diffrenece . Modern perception is less / no kids lot of time to shape up your life and more happiness while some people just feel happy rearing thier dozen kids

Muslim families all over the world has lot of kids irrespective of whether government give support or not.As far as supporting is concerned its the rich people who have less kids rathen than middle or lower class.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
As far as supporting is concerned its the rich people who have less kids rathen than middle or lower class.

This is what I am pointing at
rich ones or who can afford should have more kids

Apr 4, 2007
Muslim families all over the world has lot of kids irrespective of whether government give support or not.As far as supporting is concerned its the rich people who have less kids rathen than middle or lower class.

this is very true. islam teaches that God will care for them, no matter how many kids they have. they're supposed to populate the earth. so are christians, but in modern times only some christian sects (catholics, mormons) still practice this...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
this is very true. islam teaches that God will care for them, no matter how many kids they have. they're supposed to populate the earth. so are christians, but in modern times only some christian sects (catholics, mormons) still practice this...

The future belong's to these communities.Many countries are facing crisis of low birth rate but their aged population is increasing so obviously they will import people from countries where there is excess working population.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: