• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It More Important To Believe In God Or To Be A Sikh

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Now you are talking about something else altogether I am afraid. Information is the basic thing to carve a different path.

Having said that, you are trying the same trick as you did in the other thread where your distorted and edited my thought.

Please read the whole discussion and try to contextualise it. Do not pick and choose some sentences which is disingenuous.
I'm sorry but I think you are misreading my assertion.. I don't say that they are similar. But rather the distinction is itself a demonstration of difference.. by explicitly rejecting the ideas associated with abrahamic religions is in itself a implicit recognition of those ideas..

By saying 'that's not what I believe' inherently demonstrates a recognition of the'other' and therefore show's influence.. you conflating my use of the term influence to mean sikhi is a derivative of abrahamic religions which is not at all what I am saying

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Now you are talking about something else altogether I am afraid. Information is the basic thing to carve a different path.

Having said that, you are trying the same trick as you did in the other thread where your distorted and edited my thought.

Please read the whole discussion and try to contextualise it. Do not pick and choose some sentences which is disingenuous.
Your original assertion was that abrahamic religions have nothing to do with sikhi.. being a pedant I took exception to that articulation.. since clearly sikh philosophy developed in relationship to Islam and rejected many of its manifestations.. it even uses some of the lingua franca associated with Islam to articulate it's difference.. the words Allah, Rahim appear in bani frequently.. so clearly it is relevant and guru sahib's were aware of abrahamic religions

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I'm sorry but I think you are misreading my assertion.. I don't say that they are similar. But rather the distinction is itself a demonstration of difference.. by explicitly rejecting the ideas associated with abrahamic religions is in itself a implicit recognition of those ideas..

By saying 'that's not what I believe' inherently demonstrates a recognition of the'other' and therefore show's influence.. you conflating my use of the term influence to mean sikhi is a derivative of abrahamic religions which is not at all what I am saying

I am sorry, I have no idea what you are implying.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Your original assertion was that abrahamic religions have nothing to do with sikhi.. being a pedant I took exception to that articulation.. since clearly sikh philosophy developed in relationship to Islam and rejected many of its manifestations.. it even uses some of the lingua franca associated with Islam to articulate it's difference.. the words Allah, Rahim appear in bani frequently.. so clearly it is relevant and guru sahib's were aware of abrahamic religions

I don't think I changed it. It still remains the original assertion. I am sorry, I never said Guru Nanak did not know anything about the Abrahamic religions. They are parts of the SGGGS, our only Guru.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
To be a Sikh, you pretty much believe in the existence of God. But people will argue how to be a Sikh, like I'm Sikh but cut hair, yet believe in God inside me. But there are people who are not Sikhs (Jews, Hindus, Christians, etc.) who also believe in God.

If it was proven that there is no God, would you continue to live life as a Sikh, like keep the 5ks?

Or

Would you still believe in God, if it was proved that one of the other religions was correct and Sikhism was wrong?

Truth comes first.

Which is why Nanak shunned the false aspects of the religion he was born into, regardless of angering his parents, family members and community. Why Satguru Gobind Ji and his kids refused to become muslim regardless of being faced with torture and death.

They shunned false religious aspects and followed the Truth- which is God.

Now people have attempted to turn Truth(God) into a money making excuse ('Sikhs using Guruwarras as a business, the false schemes, politics, fights, ego of outer dress and uniform instead of practicing internal purity and more), filled it with rituals and ego and tried to ruin what the Gurus gave up their lives to preserve.

So Truth Seekers have had to again, shun the rubbish and follow the Truth.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think it's that important if you believe in God..a creative force...waheguru...allah..or whatever you want to call it...

One thing you know for sure is that YOU exist...so you have something to investigate lol...

Personally I think it's more important you start to investigate who YOU are...WHAT you are...from a physical perspective and then beyond...

Are you just a physical body...blood/organs etc...what about your consciousness...does it die with the body...etc etc..do you cease to exist without the body...

Thankfully I found through Sikh it is possible to really investigate it...

Know yourself and you.ll come to understand the rest i.e the creative force...the universe...beyind...everythjng...

Jan 25, 2018
I don't think it's that important if you believe in God..a creative force...waheguru...allah..or whatever you want to call it...

One thing you know for sure is that YOU exist...so you have something to investigate lol...

Personally I think it's more important you start to investigate who YOU are...WHAT you are...from a physical perspective and then beyond...

Are you just a physical body...blood/organs etc...what about your consciousness...does it die with the body...etc etc..do you cease to exist without the body...

Thankfully I found through Sikh it is possible to really investigate it...

Know yourself and you.ll come to understand the rest i.e the creative force...the universe...beyind...everythjng...

Chaz,

I got your part about believing in God, but when finding about yourself, in your opinion is it only through Sikhi this can be done, or can other religions be right? And the part where you said you've found it, I assume you're referring to the "soul". Could you share what you found?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chaz,

I got your part about believing in God, but when finding about yourself, in your opinion is it only through Sikhi this can be done, or can other religions be right? And the part where you said you've found it, I assume you're referring to the "soul". Could you share what you found?

Firstly, don't refer to the soul as being some kind of seperate entity to YOU (Ego, your temporary Character)...
YOU are the SOUL...your body is temporary...from ashes to ashed ...dust to etc etc etc ...
YOU will continue to exist once the Body comes to an end :)

I guess that's one thing i learn't....well...obviously my body hasn't come to an end lol...as i'm typing this message but you'll come to know of this through first hand experience if Waheguru so wishes....

Sikhi Says stop looking for Waheguru on the outside...to look within you...
I think Jesus also said that the kingdom of God is within you....
Sikhi says that only through this human body can you have direct experience of Waheguru...the Body contains 9 physical opening...and one Hidden...one must seek this hidden door...ask for His grace to take ones attention/mind to it...

I'm pretty sure the Human body existed before any naming of religions...so our potential to have this experience has always been there...
Budhists 'look within' and seek experience...within this lifetime..
Sufi's try to do the same, in this lifetime...
Sikhi inspires one to do this...

We can all rergardles of whatever religion we call ourselves make progress in this....as long as we know what direction to look (within)....and we can do it whilst alive and in this body...
BUT, our own efforts, or perceived efforts (ego) can only take us so far...eventually we will have to submit to His will, hopefully as we seek within we mingle with the Shabad and it pulls us deeper within revealing all that there is...the ONE...

As i'm finding though, Desires, Ego, Lust etc etc grab hold of you to keep ones attention on the outer world...Maya wants to keep you focused on this world... :) .....

Nevertheless, at least i know it is 100% real...and that i'm looking in the right direction...and boy is it 'out of this world'...and seemingly endless in possibilities..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM