• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin To Marry A Divorced Woman Or Man?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guru AMARDASS JI BANNED the SATI RITUAL and actively ENCOURAGED Punar vivah...widow remarriages. The SATI ritual was a clever ceremony concoted by the MALE CENTRIC SOCIETY to GRAB the lands and possessions of the departed..his children would be defranchised once the MOTHER was also DEAD...and the relatives..uncles etc woudl be free to grab all his properties shares in land etc..and the Wily Brahmin woudl demand his share too..In Society then and even NOW...a WIDOW is immediately stripped of ALL RIGHTS..even to the wearing of coloured clothes,,decorating her body lipstick etc and is a completely WORTHLESS HUMAN being even worse off than the household COW which gives MILK...while the widow is a BURDEN. Such a "creature" was easy prey to ????

I find there is no word in Gurbani for a "widow"..for all we know it could be Chuttarr also..since she has been "abandoned" via the death of her spouse..so I am more liklely to beleive that these words sohagann, chuttar, duhagann etc are actually for SPIRITUAL RELATIONS rather than referring to worldly marriage divorce etc..In that case a CHUTARR fits any human who has "abandoned" the Creator...and Sohaggann fits any human who is one with HIM...and du:happysingh::happysingh:haggan is one who is separated from HIM...while STILL ALIVE in THIS WORLD..

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Is it a sin to marry a divorced woman?

Thank you for all the replies...
Sorry for confusing you....
Actually, i am a divorced woman, and last year, my workmate, who is a sikh, said he loves me, and later, we fell in love, and several months later, he said he would never marry me coz its not a right thing to do from his religion....

I believe he was simply trying to take advantage of you...I find it hard to believe he didn't KNOW his "religion" earlier when he said he loved you ??
Its NO SIN to marry someone you love..(really).

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Re: Is it a sin to marry a divorced woman?

I believe he was simply trying to take advantage of you...I find it hard to believe he didn't KNOW his "religion" earlier when he said he loved you ??
Its NO SIN to marry someone you love..(really).

Unless, of course, you're already married to someone else. Polygamy is not a part of Sikhi.

Thanks for the clarification. If Mr. Singh (or whatever) felt that way, it was wrong (I won't say sinful) for him to get involved with you in the first place. Hurting others, especially through dishonesty (whether by commission or omission), has no place in Sikhi. The word "dog" comes to mind, but I dislike insulting our beloved canine companions.

Attachments

• dog-wagging-tail-color.gif
    dog-wagging-tail-color.gif
    28.2 KB · Reads: 384

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
harjinder sister ji
it wont be a SIN to slap him right across his face and keep slapping till he admit his intentions for first telling you a lie and then using the Religion to cover up his deeds.

As Gyani ji pointed out there is no sin to marry a divorced/widowed men or woman anywhere if someone loves you truly.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
harjinder sister ji
it wont be a SIN to slap him right across his face and keep slapping till he admit his intentions for first telling you a lie and then using the Religion to cover up his deeds.

As Gyani ji pointed out there is no sin to marry a divorced/widowed men or woman anywhere if someone loves you truly.

I personally would hold off on the slapping. It's not a sin, but it probably is a crime if he were shameless enough to press charges.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM