• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin As A Sikh To Have More Than One Wife ?

Dec 8, 2005
Dear VEERJI

SSAkAL

I want to ask if it is a sin as per Sikh religion to have more than one wife.

If it is so where is it given in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

If I am not mistaken it was some where on this post which said that some of our Guruji had more than one wife.

In case it is not a sin then will the Sikh chiefs get a similar waiver for sikhs.

Please dont qoute law ; I know under the Indian law it is not pemitted.

My question is a religious one and not a legal one.

laws are man made religious are divine made.

love

hps62:cool: :star: :wah:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Re: Is it a SIN as SIKH to have more than one wife ?

If Sikh men can have more than one wife, and women are totally equal to men, can Sikh women have more than one husband?

Would you be comfortable sharing your wife with another man, or men? If not, then consider that her perspective might indeed be similar.

Dec 8, 2005

No what I meant was if the wife did not object to it.

That is it was with her conscent like the way Dharmander bhajii did it would it then also be a sin.?

In any way you have given me a modern world logical answer which is a standard.

I was looking for a scriptual answer and not todays world answer.

regards

hps62

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Okay I can see how my reponse was not what you're looking for.

I am now also interested in what gurbani has to say regarding polygamy, for men and for women.

Personally, one-sided polygamy bothers me. In fact, it right annoys me.

I hope you find the answer to your question.

Dec 8, 2005

Dear brother

SSAKAL

Since no one has given me a answer to my question ?

I shall tell what is weighing on my mind and why I wrote this post:--

I feel there can be no common code of conduct for all Sikhs thru out the world.

You will have to adapt to the land where you live.

Here In India there is a game plan to convert certian states like Utttar pardesh and Assam to Muslim states .

This will mean they too will become like Kashmir where our YOU WITH YOUR HINDU brothers shall be driven out .

Next after being driven out as in Kashmir ; they will come to us in Punjab crying like before in days of Guruji to save them.

Imagine if kashmir is eating into your army resource then what willl two muslim state do.

India would sink and so with it your Punjab.

What will happen to your beloved Golden Temple if India sinks. Vultures are sitting out to destroy it as it is posing a great threat to the muslims by its teaching of one common God.

Who unlike other religion believe that there is only one GOD and his name is Allah.
We say that there is certianly one God but who is called by different name in different civilizations.

The same ruins that other Gurdwara suffer today in Pakistan (From where you have been driven out of your ancestreal home mercilessly).

Same fate shall befall Golden Temple sooner or later if these two states fall .

At least Golden temple shines again in India today to give its spiritual guidance and fragrance to you in all the distant land.

Which you all fondly come from abroad to visit.

It is in this context I suggested that we can adapt few of their tactics of survival which I have discussed at this site under post :-

Indian muslim a sucess story:- lessons for Sikhs

Having more than one wife is a temporary abberant step in that direction so the smart and sucessful amongst us can have more of his genome by more number of Kids. It is certianly nota permanent way. We are adopting to the harsh realities of life.

Let us not get cowed down by our past leagacy. It is full of blunders and mistakes it is just the raw courage that saw us thru the bad days of 1600. It is high time that we started using our Brains besides the Brawn ( of which we have plenty see the latest Akal Takth brawl ) now that we are an adolescent religion 500 years young .

Bubbling with enthusiasm and youthfulness and rearing to go due to our young religion.

We have arrived on the beautiful planet called Earth.

Once the threat goes of the Calipathe ( the dirty job is already being done by USA and Israel armed forces) we can start living the normal way the rest of world lives. I sincerly wish we could join this war of enduring freedom.

Now some would wonder why after 1980 should we bother about this threat to other Indian State.

Let me say that the 1980's can be compared to two brothers ( Punjabi ) fighting over the Indian Pie .

Just like Reliance brother fought over there father's empire.

No brother budged from his share not even a penny.

Did one of the brother give up on his share of Reliance Pie. No and why should he.

The other brother of our's has used all the dirty tactics they could do by their close influence on Power in Delhi.

Riots , Golden temple invasion and Scorched earth policy in Punjab to demoralise us and send us scurring away to our Western friends for shelter.

After all they think they are the smarter bloke .

Just like the Jews considered themselves when christianity was being born.

What did the Jews do to Christ? They just crucified them.

That did not stop the Christian as becoming the greatest religion on modern day earth.

We Sikhs should also get rightfully our share of the Indian Pie and I can promise you that their are a lot of Indians who feel that Sikhs must get there share of Indian pie.

Dont get affected by the action of few competitive Indians.
There are a lot of Indians who love you.
Dont squander away the good will after all it has been made after a lot of sacrifices.

How else do you expalin the current SIkh PM and chief of Army staff.
It will take generations for you to get these posts in UK , Canada or USA pie.
In the Islamic world it will take you a millenium but you shall there also get your share of pie. ( After all RAJ KAREGA KHALSA ).

After all we Sikh have made the maximum sacrifice for our motherland India.

Mother India is quite fair even though few of her children want to corner it all to themselves ( no names ).

Under Sonia Gandhi stewardship lot of neglected chidren of India are getting there share of Indain Pie.

We in Punjab are in certian ways what Greek civilization is to the western civilization.

Giving up your share of Indian Pie would be like a coward running away.

Some of your competitor who do not want you to have a share of Indian Pie will jeer at you with snide remarks of the 84 riots .

Dont let it bother you .

I have told you that Sikhs must be prepared for more Genocides/holocoust / to the extent even Jews did not see through out the world.
As to the reason why this shall happen especially in religious driven countries like the Indian and Islamic ones .
The answer is that you espounge a FUNDAMENTAL TRUTH which is blasphemous to many of entrenched vested interest through out the globe.

For only after these holococuast the Truth will dawn on this beautiful planet of ours so fearlessly say the truth

" That there is only one God for all of us and he loves all his children"

So remember in our fight amongst the brother ( Punjabi ) for Indian pie since 1980 :

Let the Muslim not be the smart one to take away pie from all of you in form of two vital states of Assam and Uttarpardesh.

Guard these states ferociously the way you guard your Punjab.

See to it that Uttar pardesh and Assam is not lost to medievieal forces out of the Oil rich foolish land called Arabia.

Just Ponder what I have written. It will start making sense with time .

I am happpily married but this threat weighs down on my mind heavily in INDIA.
There for this post is an adhoc temporary waiver on a single wife.

WGKWGF

love

hps62

bopadum

SPNer
Jun 8, 2006
I live in everything

Maharaja Ranjit Singh is sometimes looked down on for having 21 wives. I am a supporter of him and would say that the day you can do what he did maybe you too will be able to have 21 wives. Also these wives were political marriages. Same with the Guru in question, he did not marry her, she devoted herself to him (I don't think an anand Karaj was done - unless somone knows otherwise)-slight difference.

In old times people got married younger and leaders sometimes had to CLAIM more than one woman. As with Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Maharani Jindan was his wife, others were political arrangements.

Obviously outdated rituals/ideals - and as Sikhism is a modern evolving religon its culture does not allow more than one wife - due to its commitment on equality. Is it in any book? I don't know, but I suppose the equality argument someone pointed out earlier is a good one (can A wife have more than one husband?) Guru Nanak Dev Ji made a point of being a house holder along with being religeous unlike the other religons at the time.

So - If you can get rid of the muslim oppression you fear, claim back all of original Punjab from Afganistan to Tibet then I am sure along the way with the amount of husbands lives that would be lost due to your actions you would end up having to look after more women than just your wife.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

which gurus had more than one wife?
guru gobind singh ji? Nope he only had one, i read an article on it that it was a misunderstanding

Mar 26, 2006

dear HPS62 veerji

amazing post ...u r a true KHALSA and a true son of India ...just unbelivable ...there are gems in this forum like u and vijay praaji and i never feel to walk out of this forum ...although i do get upset over vijay veerji's postings at times ...but veera this is amazing ..i just keep admiring yor thoughts ..

We should progress our country our Panth everything should....i really wish to see those days of glory when the country shall be clean of all the Mlechchas ..CAN I HAVE YOR PERSONAL EMAIL...IF U WISH U CAN MAIL ME ..MY MAIL ID IS nihangkhalsa@yahoo.com

Lets all come together ...as usual i would say TOGETHER WE SHALL MAKE A DIFFERENCE

JO BOLEEEEEEE SOOOOO NIHAAAAAAL ......SSSSSSSSSSSAAAATSRIIIIAKAAAAAAAALLLL

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

Dear Bro,
Raj Ji,

when ever yourself are upset on das's post do inform das by posting the reson of displaesure as reply to it.

Das will try level best to refrom himself or to remove any misunderstanding.As Sikh das has to be leanrer for whole life.So feel free to point mistakes by das and give him power to reform them.

Mar 26, 2006

saadh sangat, satsriakaalji vijay veerji...i understand u try yor best ...but the worst times when u dint even raise a word against sugmad...he maybe a hindu or a keshdhaari ...but no one has any rights to slander...and as a khalsa we never should ...i do not like islamic teachings but that doesnt mean i hate them...i would tell them ..'brothers u can go for namaaz as many times as u wish but pls care for the country and its feelings ' i dont like slandering avatars and calling others fools .for no reason especially if their roots r frm the same Sanatan dharam ...let people follow God as their wish my request is let us what we can do ..our aim is ONE KHALSA IN EVERY HINDU HOUSEHOLD FRM KAHSMIR TO KANYAKUMARI ...and a true khalsa not just a swaroop...well i like all the people here...especially u and our veer Hps62.....i feel have been intelligent and really closer to sikhi in a right way there are certain things as such i mentioned above ...Live and Let live ...if some one wants to see the Akaal Puraakh in a form let him do so ...Murats may not be always approved espcially in the Vedas and but obvious in our Panth too but they r the 'baisakhi' OF THE people who want to come closer to Akaalraj karega khalsa

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh
saadh sangat, satsriakaalji vijay veerji...i understand u try yor best ...but the worst times when u dint even raise a word against sugmad...he maybe a hindu or a keshdhaari ...but no one has any rights to slander...and as a khalsa we never should ...i do not like islamic teachings but that doesnt mean i hate them...i would tell them ..'brothers u can go for namaaz as many times as u wish but pls care for the country and its feelings ' i dont like slandering avatars and calling others fools .for no reason especially if their roots r frm the same Sanatan dharam ...let people follow God as their wish my request is let us what we can do ..our aim is ONE KHALSA IN EVERY HINDU HOUSEHOLD FRM KAHSMIR TO KANYAKUMARI ...and a true khalsa not just a swaroop...well i like all the people here...especially u and our veer Hps62.....i feel have been intelligent and really closer to sikhi in a right way there are certain things as such i mentioned above ...Live and Let live ...if some one wants to see the Akaal Puraakh in a form let him do so ...Murats may not be always approved espcially in the Vedas and but obvious in our Panth too but they r the 'baisakhi' OF THE people who want to come closer to Akaalraj karega khalsa

Brother,

We have a sense of brother hod towrads Hindu Brthern so may be some time we are harsh.

Reason for Sugmad being harsh lies in his reading Dasham Granth.

Well das reconeds you to visit site
Sri Dasam Granth Sahib

and read Triya Charitar 266.And writer is Guru Patshah.

Mar 26, 2006

saadh sangat, satsriakaalji
vijay veerji is triya charitar in dasam granth i went to page 266 it went to this
[SIZE=-1]Previous[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sri Dasam Granth Sahib; Displaying page of 2326 Home[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Next[/SIZE]
ਸਾਗੜਦੰ ਸੰਖੰ ਨਾਗੜਦੰ ਨਫੀਰੰ ॥ ਗਾਗੜਦੰ ਗੋਮਾਯ ਗਜੇ ਗਹੀਰੰ ॥
सागड़दं संखं नागड़दं नफीरं ॥ गागड़दं गोमाय गजे गहीरं ॥
The conches, clarionets and the drums resounded.

ਨਾਗੜਦੰ ਨਗਾਰੇ ਬਾਗੜਦੰ ਬਾਜੇ ॥ ਜਾਗੜਦੰ ਜੋਧਾ ਗਾਗੜਦੰ ਗਾਜੇ ॥੪੧॥੧੧੮॥
नागड़दं नगारे बागड़दं बाजे ॥ जागड़दं जोधा गागड़दं गाजे ॥४१॥११८॥
The trumpets and musical instruments produced their sounds and alongwith their resonance, the warriors thundered.41.118.

ਨਰਾਜ ਛੰਦ ॥
नराज छंद ॥
NARAAJ STANZA

ਜਿਤੇਕ ਰੂਪ ਧਾਰੀਯੰ ॥ ਤਿਤੇਕ ਦੇਬਿ ਮਾਰੀਯੰ ॥
जितेक रूप धारीयं ॥ तितेक देबि मारीयं ॥
All the forms of demons created with the spilling of the blood of Rakat Beej on ground, were killed by the goddess.

ਜਿਤੇਕ ਰੂਪ ਧਾਰ ਹੀ ॥ ਤਿਤਿਓ ਦ੍ਰੁਗਾ ਸੰਘਾਰ ਹੀ ॥੪੨॥੧੧੯॥
जितेक रूप धार ही ॥ तितिओ द्रुगा संघार ही ॥४२॥११९॥
All the forms that are going to materialize, will also be destroyed by Durga.42.119.

ਜਿਤੇਕ ਸਸਤ੍ਰ ਵਾ ਝਰੇ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਹ ਸ੍ਰੋਨ ਕੇ ਪਰੇ ॥
जितेक ससत्र वा झरे ॥ प्रवाह स्रोन के परे ॥
With the showering of weapons (on Rakat Beej), the currents of blood ooxed out (from the body of Rakat Beej).

ਜਿਤੀਕਿ ਬਿੰਦੁਕਾ ਗਿਰੈ ॥ ਸੁ ਪਾਨ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਕਰੈ ॥੪੩॥੧੨੦॥
जितीकि बिंदुका गिरै ॥ सु पान कालिका करै ॥४३॥१२०॥
All the drops that fell (on the ground), the goddess Kali drank them all.43.120.

ਰਸਾਵਲ ਛੰਦ ॥
रसावल छंद ॥
RASAAVAL STANZA

ਹੂਓ ਸ੍ਰੋਣ ਹੀਨੰ ॥ ਭਯੋ ਅੰਗ ਛੀਨੰ ॥
हूओ स्रोण हीनं ॥ भयो अंग छीनं ॥
The demon-chief Rakat Beej became bloodless and his limbs became very weak.

ਗਿਰਿਓ ਅੰਤਿ ਝੂਮੰ ॥ ਮਨੋ ਮੋਘ ਭੂਮੰ ॥੪੪॥੧੨੧॥
गिरिओ अंति झूमं ॥ मनो मोघ भूमं ॥४४॥१२१॥
Ultimatley he fell down on the ground wavering like the clound on he earth.44.121.

ਸਭੈ ਦੇਵ ਹਰਖੇ ॥ ਸੁਮਨ ਧਾਰ ਬਰਖੇ ॥
सभै देव हरखे ॥ सुमन धार बरखे ॥
All the gods were pleased (to see this) and they showered the flowers.

ਰਕਤ ਬਿੰਦ ਮਾਰੇ ॥ ਸਬੈ ਸੰਤ ਉਬਾਰੇ ॥੪੫॥੧੨੨॥
रकत बिंद मारे ॥ सबै संत उबारे ॥४५॥१२२॥
Rakat Beej was killed and in this way the goddess saved the saints.45.122.

ਇਤਿ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਟਕੇ ਚੰਡੀ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰੇ ਰਕਤ ਬੀਰਜ ਬਧਹ ਚਤੁਰਥ ਧਿਆਇ ਸੰਪੂਰਨਮ ਸਤੁ ਸੁਭਮ ਸਤੁ ॥੪ ॥
इति स्री बचित्र नाटके चंडी चरित्रे रकत बीरज बधह चतुरथ धिआइ स्मपूरनम सतु सुभम सतु ॥४ ॥
Thus the Fourth Chapter entitled "The Killing of Rakat Beej" of Chandi Charitra of BACHITTAR is completed.4.

rajsikh

SPNer
Aug 1, 2005

If Sikh men can have more than one wife, and women are totally equal to men, can Sikh women have more than one husband?

Would you be comfortable sharing your wife with another man, or men? If not, then consider that her perspective might indeed be similar.
Miss Ishna Gentleman asked about marrying to more than one woman ,he did not asked about sharing it with someone.
so your second question about sharing is irrelevant.

rajsikh

SPNer
Aug 1, 2005

Okay I can see how my reponse was not what you're looking for.

I am now also interested in what gurbani has to say regarding polygamy, for men and for women.

Personally, one-sided polygamy bothers me. In fact, it right annoys me.

I hope you find the answer to your question.
Again qrong answer,he did not asked your opinion,he is asking about whether it is sin or no.
well if oneside polygamy bother you u can ask your husband for his permission to have multiple husbands

rajsikh

SPNer
Aug 1, 2005

I think your priority should be to know about the legality of your step first.then if it is perfectly legal in your place of residence.
if it is legal then u should think about,second reason what you really need another wife for,well if u beleive in GOD then take in to acoount this fact that your first wife stand to lose her half right to be with you all the time,in that case u are doing a SIN by depriving her of half right.
but as u said if your wife agree with you then still you need to make sure she is 100% happy with your decision.
and then i dont think it is a sin ,as you doing it with your wife's permission and she is gladly giving away her 50% right to be with you.
Personally i dont think Dharmendra's wife was 100% happy with what he did.
Any way Congratulation in advance for your second marriage.

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh
saadh sangat, satsriakaalji
vijay veerji is triya charitar in dasam granth i went to page 266 it went to this
[SIZE=-1]Previous[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sri Dasam Granth Sahib; Displaying page of 2326 Home[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Next[/SIZE]
ਸਾਗੜਦੰ ਸੰਖੰ ਨਾਗੜਦੰ ਨਫੀਰੰ ॥ ਗਾਗੜਦੰ ਗੋਮਾਯ ਗਜੇ ਗਹੀਰੰ ॥
सागड़दं संखं नागड़दं नफीरं ॥ गागड़दं गोमाय गजे गहीरं ॥
The conches, clarionets and the drums resounded.

ਨਾਗੜਦੰ ਨਗਾਰੇ ਬਾਗੜਦੰ ਬਾਜੇ ॥ ਜਾਗੜਦੰ ਜੋਧਾ ਗਾਗੜਦੰ ਗਾਜੇ ॥੪੧॥੧੧੮॥
नागड़दं नगारे बागड़दं बाजे ॥ जागड़दं जोधा गागड़दं गाजे ॥४१॥११८॥
The trumpets and musical instruments produced their sounds and alongwith their resonance, the warriors thundered.41.118.

ਨਰਾਜ ਛੰਦ ॥
नराज छंद ॥
NARAAJ STANZA

ਜਿਤੇਕ ਰੂਪ ਧਾਰੀਯੰ ॥ ਤਿਤੇਕ ਦੇਬਿ ਮਾਰੀਯੰ ॥
जितेक रूप धारीयं ॥ तितेक देबि मारीयं ॥
All the forms of demons created with the spilling of the blood of Rakat Beej on ground, were killed by the goddess.

ਜਿਤੇਕ ਰੂਪ ਧਾਰ ਹੀ ॥ ਤਿਤਿਓ ਦ੍ਰੁਗਾ ਸੰਘਾਰ ਹੀ ॥੪੨॥੧੧੯॥
जितेक रूप धार ही ॥ तितिओ द्रुगा संघार ही ॥४२॥११९॥
All the forms that are going to materialize, will also be destroyed by Durga.42.119.

ਜਿਤੇਕ ਸਸਤ੍ਰ ਵਾ ਝਰੇ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਹ ਸ੍ਰੋਨ ਕੇ ਪਰੇ ॥
जितेक ससत्र वा झरे ॥ प्रवाह स्रोन के परे ॥
With the showering of weapons (on Rakat Beej), the currents of blood ooxed out (from the body of Rakat Beej).

ਜਿਤੀਕਿ ਬਿੰਦੁਕਾ ਗਿਰੈ ॥ ਸੁ ਪਾਨ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਕਰੈ ॥੪੩॥੧੨੦॥
जितीकि बिंदुका गिरै ॥ सु पान कालिका करै ॥४३॥१२०॥
All the drops that fell (on the ground), the goddess Kali drank them all.43.120.

ਰਸਾਵਲ ਛੰਦ ॥
रसावल छंद ॥
RASAAVAL STANZA

ਹੂਓ ਸ੍ਰੋਣ ਹੀਨੰ ॥ ਭਯੋ ਅੰਗ ਛੀਨੰ ॥
हूओ स्रोण हीनं ॥ भयो अंग छीनं ॥
The demon-chief Rakat Beej became bloodless and his limbs became very weak.

ਗਿਰਿਓ ਅੰਤਿ ਝੂਮੰ ॥ ਮਨੋ ਮੋਘ ਭੂਮੰ ॥੪੪॥੧੨੧॥
गिरिओ अंति झूमं ॥ मनो मोघ भूमं ॥४४॥१२१॥
Ultimatley he fell down on the ground wavering like the clound on he earth.44.121.

ਸਭੈ ਦੇਵ ਹਰਖੇ ॥ ਸੁਮਨ ਧਾਰ ਬਰਖੇ ॥
सभै देव हरखे ॥ सुमन धार बरखे ॥
All the gods were pleased (to see this) and they showered the flowers.

ਰਕਤ ਬਿੰਦ ਮਾਰੇ ॥ ਸਬੈ ਸੰਤ ਉਬਾਰੇ ॥੪੫॥੧੨੨॥
रकत बिंद मारे ॥ सबै संत उबारे ॥४५॥१२२॥
Rakat Beej was killed and in this way the goddess saved the saints.45.122.

ਇਤਿ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਟਕੇ ਚੰਡੀ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰੇ ਰਕਤ ਬੀਰਜ ਬਧਹ ਚਤੁਰਥ ਧਿਆਇ ਸੰਪੂਰਨਮ ਸਤੁ ਸੁਭਮ ਸਤੁ ॥੪ ॥
इति स्री बचित्र नाटके चंडी चरित्रे रकत बीरज बधह चतुरथ धिआइ स्मपूरनम सतु सुभम सतु ॥४ ॥
Thus the Fourth Chapter entitled "The Killing of Rakat Beej" of Chandi Charitra of BACHITTAR is completed.4.

Dear Brother,

Das did not talk of Ang or page 266 but Triya Charitar number 266.It is Charitar of Ran Khamb Kala.

It is thought provoking for idolworshipper by offedning thier faith in detieis.

Sri Dasam Granth Sahib

and there is not translation as yet but if you could read Gurmukhi or Nagri,you may get some idea but in case of doubt das can help you.

If you can read Gurmukhi then translation is there on another site and das can provide you that.

Sep 7, 2006

Dear hps62

It is not necessary that yours whimsical thoughts be answered. SGGS will not tell you as to when you should go to bed or for that matter that you should not fall sick.There is something known as Common Sense.I think it is only that is required to get the answer yourself.
Let Sikhism , that is left, not be put to shame .Dear sir.You seem to be fairly well read man.

Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: