• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Dasam Granth Guru Ji's Bani?

Feb 14, 2006
Giani Iqbal Singh Jathedar of Takht Patna Sahib, through a Hukamnama, has ordered the ex-communication of Prof Darshan Singh, a former Jathedar of Akal Takht, from the Sikh panth. The hukamnama was issued on the letterpad of Takht Patna Sahib after meeting of five Sikh priests presided over by Giani Iqbal Singh.
Declaring Prof Darshan Singh a Tankhaiya, Giani Iqbal Singh has accused him of creating rift among the Jathedars of five Sikh Takhts, namely Akal Takht Amritsar, Takht Damdama Sahib, Takht Keshgarhsahib, Takht Patna Sahib and Takht Nanded Sahib. Giani Iqbal Singh has directed Sikhs all over the world not to have any type of relations with Prof Darshan Singh. They have been asked to socially boycott him. The Hukamnama folllows the strictures allegedly passed by Prof. Darshan Singh against holy Dasam Granth, written by the tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh.

Daily South Asian Free Press, SaFp.ca - Prof. Darshan Singh 'ex-communicated'

The above movie, titled ‘Nimmo’ was released in 1984. While the rest of the Panth was being besieged by the Indian Armed Forces, hundreds of youths had been killed, and thousands imprisoned due to the Dharam Yudh Morcha, Darshan Singh Ragi was busy acting in a ‘Bollywood’ type movie in which he praises Dusht Daman as the previous incarnation of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
Filmed in the scenic foothills on the way to Hemkunt Sahib, the Ragi plays the part of a Sikh parcharik who introduces the trip to Sri Hemkunt Sahib by stating:

“ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਜੀ…ਭਾਗਾਂ ਵਲੇ ਹੋ ! ਅੱਜ ਅਸੀਂ ਮਹਾਨ ਤਪੱਸਵੀ ਦੁਸ਼ਟ ਦਮਨ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਤਪ ਅਸਥਾਨ ਹੇਮਕੁੰਟ ਦੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨਾ ਲਈ ਜਾ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ…”

He then narrates the story stating Guru Teg Bahdur Sahib in his previous life was also a tapasvi, and he was being disturbed by the Rakshahs (demons) that were looking for Durga Devi. Ragi Darshan Singh then states “at that time Guru Gobind Singh appeared as Dusht Daman and eliminated the Rakshahs (demons).”
The Ragi then is shown leading his yatrees to Sri Hemkunt Sahib, while continuously waving his arms and singing the last verses of Charitropakhyaan known as Chaupai Sahib and hiking to the Gurdwara Sahib and the Sarovar.
Compare the above scene to the irrational anti-Dasam Bani outbursts by Ragi from the stages of Gurdwara Rakabganj Sahib in January 2008. One wonders if he is really a Panthic parcharik, a stage actor, or a politician.

Panthic Weekly: Ragi Darshan Singh: A Jathedar from Bollywood ? (Editorial)

The report on Darshan Singh is totally false and fabricated. The opposite is being reported in www.rozanaspokesman.com. His Kirtan Sessions in vancouver Canada were record breaking attendances for 3 days.

Ragi Darshan Singh pushed and booed by Surrey Sangat

Surrey, Canada: Ragi Darshan singh who was in the news since his condemnation of Dasam granth Banis was confronted by Surrey Sangat.

It is reported that during last night in Sikh dominated area of Surrey Ragi darshan singh was invited to perform Kirtan in Singh Sabha Gurudwara. People from sangat led by Balwinder Singh Johal, Balbir singh bains, Jathedar Mohan Singh and Sukhpal Singh placed afew questions on the harmonium of darshan Singh and sought answers for those. But Darshan singh did not give any answer.

In the list of questions included terming of Dasam Granth as a book of lies, disobeying Hukamnamas of Takhat Sri Akal Takhat sahib and Takhat Patna sahib and not agree to five banis of Nitnem.

Also included in singhs questions was a copy of Akal takhat hukamnama that states that do not cooperate with ragi Drashan singh. Ragi Darshan singh did not answer any of these questions. Instead he tried to go away in a van. Sangat made this attempt futile. During this Darshan singh was pushed and hit also. Sangat surrounded his van and slogans were raised.

Joginder Singh, Gurudwara president intervened and calmed the crowd. Then only Ragi Darshan Singh could escape in the van. This was stated by Balwinder Singh Johal in a fax message to Ajit Jalandhar.
Ragi Darshan Singh pushed and booed by Surrey Sangat

Indeed. If he is such an illustrious scholar and person, he seems to have racked up quite a bit of notoriety for himself, made many rude accusations with very little persuasive scholarly substance. Excuse me if I'm underwhelmed by his efforts. He has surely succeeded at heaping kalank on himself. He is a declared heretic. His challenges are mere accusation and defamation. And he has made himself publically despised for them.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das has seen a great army of Granthis and Ragis from missionary collages like the one in Ropar,Nawan shahar,Shahbad Markanda etc.

who are indoctrined to not to have faith in Chaupayee Sahib and Ardas.But in Gurudwara due to fear still carry out the practise of reading them.Further first they say that they are against the Prakash of Dasham Granth Sahib,Then they say that they belive in only Thirteen pages of them.Lastly at last step they say that There is no bani onto Tenth Master.

In the case of Ragi Darshan Singh Ji since the beging he has been pro gyani Bhag Singh Ji Ambala. But due to fear of Sikh majority he use to sing bani of Tenth Master.

In future we will find mnay more such people showing thier true colours.

Is this not irony that while they oppose Charitropakhyan for decption being showin in thme but they themselve decive Sangat and Guru.

Further they will attack bowing to Guru Granth Sahib Ji,Santokh and Prakash,Amrit Sanchar(Saying had Guru Nanak Ji been here then like Janue they would have refused to have Amrit,Das would like to say that Had He been here then he would have writtan same for Missioaries has he would have writtan for Pandas and opposed the binding of Akal with wrong interpetaion of Guru Granth Sahib Ji as he oppsed vedism*),Sikh National Anthem,Sikh Salutation,Guruship to Sikh Panth,any of the aceant text etc. etc.

Das will be happy that such people make thier own Gurudwaras in the line of protestants churches.

Ragi in question usulay rakes up issue of Dasham Granth Sahib only on the time,when there is date of 1984 riots in court(last time it was on 14.5.08).Das finds a conspiracy of Congress to let Sikhs fight over trival matters and be off the real issues(had we are united we would have ruled the world).Supporters of Dasham Granth Sahib,S. S, Maan,Joginder Singh Raqba,Iqbal Singh etc are pro congress.So are opposer like Joginder Sinhu of Spokeman or Sarna(of DSGPC).

From both the side there is plan to divide Sikhs.Sorry state that we fight over non issues.

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ
सलोकु मः १ ॥
Salok mehlā 1.
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਗਡੀ ਲਦੀਅਹਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਭਰੀਅਹਿ ਸਾਥ
पड़ि पड़ि गडी लदीअहि पड़ि पड़ि भरीअहि साथ ॥
Paṛ paṛ gadī laḏī­ah paṛ paṛ bẖarī­ah sāth.
You may read and read loads of books; you may read and study vast multitudes of books.

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਬੇੜੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਗਡੀਅਹਿ ਖਾਤ
पड़ि पड़ि बेड़ी पाईऐ पड़ि पड़ि गडीअहि खात ॥
Paṛ paṛ bėṛī pā­ī­ai paṛ paṛ gadī­ah kẖāṯ.
You may read and read boat-loads of books; you may read and read and fill pits with them.

ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਬਰਸ ਬਰਸ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਮਾਸ
पड़ीअहि जेते बरस बरस पड़ीअहि जेते मास ॥
Paṛī­ah jėṯė baras baras paṛī­ah jėṯė mās.
You may read them year after year; you may read them as many months are there are.

ਪੜੀਐ ਜੇਤੀ ਆਰਜਾ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਸਾਸ
पड़ीऐ जेती आरजा पड़ीअहि जेते सास ॥
Paṛī­ai jėṯī ārjā paṛī­ah jėṯė sās.
You may read them all your life; you may read them with every breath.

ਨਾਨਕ ਲੇਖੈ ਇਕ ਗਲ ਹੋਰੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਝਖਣਾ ਝਾਖ ॥੧॥
नानक लेखै इक गल होरु हउमै झखणा झाख ॥१॥
Nānak lėkẖai ik gal hor ha­umai jẖakẖ­ṇā jẖākẖ. ||1||
O Nanak, only one thing is of any account: everything else is useless babbling and idle talk in ego. ||1||

(Ang 467)

ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਪੜੇ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਗੁਨੁ ਖਰ ਚੰਦਨ ਜਸ ਭਾਰਾ
बेद पुरान पड़े का किआ गुनु खर चंदन जस भारा ॥
Bėḏ purān paṛė kā ki­ā gun kẖar cẖanḏan jas bẖārā.
What is the use of reading the Vedas and the Puraanas? It is like loading a donkey with sandalwood.

ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ ਕੈਸੇ ਉਤਰਸਿ ਪਾਰਾ ॥੧॥
राम नाम की गति नही जानी कैसे उतरसि पारा ॥१॥
Rām nām kī gaṯ nahī jānī kaisė uṯras pārā. ||1||
You do not know the exalted state of the Lord's Name; how will you ever cross over? ||1||
(Ang 1102-1103)

Gyani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen told that if holy text are put on the back of donkey then he does not becomes a learned. So by mere studying texts and not having grace of God,people are misguided and can further misguide ,Akal Bless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear all!

Like a blind may hold wax in hand or throw it away, he does not come to see light through eyes.
Rejecting a Granth or performing rituals around it, one does not come to God's wisdom.

Balbir Singh

Feb 14, 2006
Rejecting a Granth or performing rituals around it, one does not come to God's wisdom.
And neither by rejecting the physical presence of Guru in Panj Piare and Khalsa Panth can you be wise making Zen-style riddles. Rather riddles seek to befuddle, and further divide, confuse and alienate Sikhs from the ordained authority which is both Miri and Piri, spiritual and temporal, Guru in nirgun and sargun saroop. To reject the authority of Akal Takht and Panj Piare is to disconnect from Guru.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

Coming to the Saint's shelter and receiving true Naam, all entanglements with worldly institutions dissolve.

Please listen. Gurdev is singing.

sMq srix sMq thl krI ]
sNq srix sNq thl krI ]
sant sarani sant tahal karee.

DMDu bMDu Aru sgl jMjwro Avr kwj qy CUit prI ]1] rhwau ]
DNDu bNDu A{ sgl jNjwro Avr kwj qy CUit prI ]1] rhwa ]
DhanDhu banDhu aru sagal janjaaro avar kaaj tay chhooti paree. ||1|| rahaa-o. SGGS Ang 822-18.
Business, bondage and all entanglements, other activities, one gets rid of

The true Gurus never suggested visiting any institution and hang up for the rest of life.

Balbir Singh

Suntink

SPNer
Nov 6, 2008
I think it should also be understood that the current day Sri Singh Sahib Prof Darshan Singh Ji has tried many times to explain that one should only follow the teachings of the Dasam Granth which are in accordance to Gurmat. If we are taught by Guru Nanak not to believe in Demi- Gods like the Monkey God Haunuman, then how can we believe in Demi Gods like Kalki. Can we really believe that there is an Avatar named Kalki who will come into the world and save the world? This is written in the Dasam Granth and it is not in accordance to the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji who preached a simple and practical path
:yes::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I think it should also be understood that the current day Sri Singh Sahib Prof Darshan Singh Ji has tried many times to explain that one should only follow the teachings of the Dasam Granth which are in accordance to Gurmat. If we are taught by Guru Nanak not to believe in Demi- Gods like the Monkey God Haunuman, then how can we believe in Demi Gods like Kalki. Can we really believe that there is an Avatar named Kalki who will come into the world and save the world? This is written in the Dasam Granth and it is not in accordance to the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji who preached a simple and practical path
:yes::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::)
How can the Gurus be from the lineage of a mythological charactar? Is Guru Gobind Singh Ji trying to say he doesn't exist??:D

Only the one exist

We presume we exist
This life is not permanent
Guru ji tells us to wake up, but we stay asleep
we see objects to exist, we call this earth home
lost in the magnificent world, life brings meaning
we call false to be true and true to be false
we try to understand what we are not
the more we learn, more there is still to learn
we call to be know as the slave of the One,
who has the right to such a name!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Singh ji

Thanks for the reply. This would also be my answer -- and I can't help wondering why the controversy continues and continues. There has to be more than one subtle point that is not being discussed :confused:. Or I am simply stupid. :)

Singh ji

Thanks for the reply. This would also be my answer -- and I can't help wondering why the controversy continues and continues. There has to be more than one subtle point that is not being discussed :confused:. Or I am simply stupid. :)

aad ji

if there is another subtle pointing being discussed I am not aware of it. Maybe someone else can point it out and it can be discussed.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

Clarification questions. By Guru ji's Bani, do you mean Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj (Nanak XI)? Or do you mean the Bani of one of the Guru's Nanak I through X?

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
No, I said that you know the answer. You know the answer and it is not a simple answer. The answer is not without controversy.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
So Aad ji what do you personally believe?

Anyway, I found these exerpts in the other thread discussing lineages.
ਕਾਲਧੁਜ ਚਤੁਰਥ ਨ੍ਰਿਪ ਸੋਹੈ ॥ ਜਿਹ ਤੇ ਭਇਓ ਜਗਤ ਸਭ ਕੋ ਹੈ ॥੧੧॥
कालधुज चतुरथ न्रिप सोहै ॥ जिह ते भइओ जगत सभ को है ॥११॥
Kaldhuj was the fourth kin, from whon the whole world originated. 11.

ਸਹਸਰਾਛ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਸੁਭ ਸੋਹੈ ॥ ਸਹਸ ਪਾਦ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਤਨਿ ਮੋਹੈ॥
सहसराछ जा के सुभ सोहै ॥ सहस पाद जा के तनि मोहै॥
He had a thousand eyes a thousand feet.

ਸੇਖਨਾਗ ਪਰ ਸੋਇਬੋ ਕਰੈ ॥ ਜਗ ਤਿਹ ਸੇਖ ਸਾਇ ਉਚਰੈ ॥੧੨॥
सेखनाग पर सोइबो करै ॥ जग तिह सेख साइ उचरै ॥१२॥
He slept on Sheshanaga, therefore he was called the master of Shesha.12.

ਏਕ ਸ੍ਰਵਣ ਤੇ ਮੈਲ ਨਿਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਤਾ ਤੇ ਮਧੁ ਕੀਟਭ ਤਨ ਧਾਰਾ ॥
एक स्रवण ते मैल निकारा ॥ ता ते मधु कीटभ तन धारा ॥
Out of the secretion from one of his ears, Madhu and Kaitabh came into being.

ਦੁਤੀਯ ਕਾਨ ਤੇ ਮੈਲੁ ਨਿਕਾਰੀ ॥ ਤਾ ਤੇ ਭਈ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਇਹ ਸਾਰੀ ॥੧੩॥
दुतीय कान ते मैलु निकारी ॥ ता ते भई स्रिसटि इह सारी ॥१३॥
And from the secretion of the other ear, the whole world materialized.13.

This is from Dasam Granth. It definitely dumps the theory of evolution down the drain! :D
I wish I could "secrete" stuff out of my ear! I really need a new computer... :(
on second thought, a computer made of ear wax is probably not a good idea... :D

Suntink

SPNer
Nov 6, 2008
Dear Sir or Madame,
In terms of evolution or how the Universe came into existence, many websites address the Sikh view of this issue. The line of Gurbani below is the general Sikh view, it is not very detailed and may not answer every question. However, a Sikh does not continuously ask questions like “How did the world come to exist?”, or “How did God create the Universe?” A Sikh recognizes and worships God and lives an honest and simple life.

“First, Allah created the Light; then, by His Creative Power, He made all mortal beings.” Page 1349 Line 19

-Devotee Kabir

I believe that this line is a very special line. It definitely does not follow with what is written in the Dasam Granth. I would definitely listen to the Guru Granth Sahib over the Dasam Granth as the Guru Granth Sahib is the official Sikh Guru. A line of Gurbani like this is the Guru’s blessing of sweet molasses.
:wink:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: