• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Insulted In Front Of Gurdwara Sangat!

sukhpaal

SPNer
Jul 3, 2005
TORONTO
Dear sikhnet memebers,
I really dont know how to begin but let me make this simple. I have been attending xxxx Gurdwara for many years, did some powerpoint projects where youth loved them. Then also did naam simran which i really was not aware of.
As with most sikhs, i let myself go and repeated 'waheguru waheguru '
I got better and better with Guru's kirpa. However during which time i felt energy in my hand which started to play with me. And this happened everytime i did naam simran which indicates something good. Many times i hid it.

Now many other youths join me, which has increased to a member of 12-15 persons mostly girls. Even our Gurmant teacher is surprised where i get this
'team' from' which is of course guru's kirpa.

Now we encourage each other and look forward to every naam simran.
On other hand...the hand has started playing even more by even opening itself
and facing Gurbani ji. Many times i tried controlling it but cannot- so i let my free and join waheguru ji.

Today, July 01/05, one or two younger girls decided to sit with me since there was less room they sat on male's side. (in Gurmat class in presence of Gurbani ji male/female may sit together but not main hall.
Naam simran was finished and one sikh father abruptly spoke on mic and announced that there is a guy 'put his hand down or else well put his hand down for him'. He said 'that guy is sitting with a bunch young girls'.
Then two Sikh men came up and one yelled ' hey bhagat man what is your problem?' in front of sangat.

I put my head down and closed my eyes. Meanwhile the girls moved away...youngest one is 13 which in many cases is allowed.

The sikh man on mic announced 'we had this kind of nonsense before and dont want it again'. ( incident 2 years back when a sikh man use to play with arms and legs in naam simran then formed a cult- who then made false claims of his powers, however was later threatened to stop and finally left Canada)

All sangat was looking at me...i closed my eyes and controlled my anger.
'okay they have right to inform girls to move away and go to man's side but they could have asked me nicely to come to another room and explain why my hand moves'. They did not need to inform whole sangat and 'attack' me!
This is an insult and embarassment. All 15 persons felt anger and shock since they announced it during the naam simran!

The girls questioned 'i have seen man shaking as if in electrical shock during naam simran why not stop him?'

Some have uncontrollabe head movements like as in 'heavy metal concert'.
I also questioned 'what about baba Fareed who hung himself while in bhagti? the crows thought he was dead, why did Sikhs accept that?'

'what about babaji nand singh who tied his hair to a tree so he couldnt sleep and perfomed bhagti- why do our sikhs accept that'?

So my hand movement which is not controlled by myself, which causes no harm is a direct violation?

Sikh history shows examples of various ways naam simran was perfomed.
Near river, upside down, shaking, head movements, body movements etc....

Today my uncontrollable way was directly insulted. I was insulted. They should not have announced infront of whole sangat! They could have questioned me alone. Making threats like 'we will come and put it down for you during the naam simran and not right'.

I informed one Gurmat class teacher 'no wonder we are losing the youth, our sikhs only like to complain!' They should be happy that a team of 12-15 are attending gurmat class and naam simran.

Most girls have become veggie, dont drink and look forward to naam simran every Tuesdays and Fridays.

I have informed Gurmat teacher 'i will not attend since i have insulted in front of whole sangat and so will the 15 team members that come with me'

'we would rather go to church at least we dont get this kind of treatment and no wonder our Sikhs wonder why our youth is changing faiths'.
I am not asking for us to dance!

yes we abide by the rules of Gurdwara as in dress and speech code.
But today i feel so embarassed.

would love top hear from your point of view!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: