• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India India's Deadly Secret

OneD10s

SPNer
Nov 27, 2011
Hi everyone,

http://news.yahoo.com/video/tech-15749651/india-s-deadly-secret-27566497.html

Came across this video which was quite interesting. Its only about eight minutes long. The gist of it is how the people of India are sadly getting rid of their babies if they are girls (some very extreme ways).

One of the main reasons for this is finance, a girl costs more to the family. This is the Indian culture and am I right saying dowry is apart of the Hindu and Muslim religion (I may be wrong). I know dowry is not apart of Sikhi as it says this in Sri Guru Grath Sahib Ji.

But is dowry practiced by Sikhs? It may be one of them sad things that Sikhs participate because it has come from the Indian culture. Also I was a bit upset about the report when they were talking about dowry, the clips were immediately of Sikhs and a sikh wedding, it made the report look as if Sikhs believe in dowry when it is says in our scriptures it is not. It may be very misleading for people who watch it and can not differentiate that Sikhs are different from Indians (In my opinion).

The conclusion of the report was that there are no women for men, and the people of India know this but do not seem to be doing anything about it.

It will be interesting to know what you people think of this, I am thinking about writing a letter to Yahoo about this misleading report.

OneD10s

SPNer
Nov 27, 2011
You mean Sikhs in and from India are big on dowry. Again this mad Indian/punjabi culture that is attached to Sikhi.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I would not bother D10sji, 'Sikhs' are big on dowry,
Harry Haller veer ji what dowry you received at your wedding? Generalization must start from self to others or else is finger pointing in all four directions including the innocent bystanders! I got nothing and I refused as well as made sure no body even thought about it.peacesign

A great Salok by Sheikh Farid ji in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji with my translation/understanding outside quotes,
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਬੁਰੇ ਦਾ ਭਲਾ ਕਰਿ ਗੁਸਾ ਮਨਿ ਹਢਾਇ
फरीदा बुरे दा भला करि गुसा मनि न हढाइ ॥
Farīḏā bure ḏā bẖalā kar gusā man na hadẖā▫e.
Fareed, answer evil with goodness; do not fill your mind with anger.
ਫਰੀਦ! ਤੂੰ ਮੰਦੇ ਦਾ ਚੰਗਾ ਕਰ ਅਤੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਮਨ ਅੰਦਰ ਰੋਹ ਨਾਂ ਲਿਆ।
ਮਨਿ = ਮਨ ਵਿਚ। ਨ ਹਢਾਇ = ਨਾਹ ਆਉਣ ਦੇਹ।

ਹੇ ਫਰੀਦ! ਬੁਰਾਈ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਨਾਲ ਭੀ ਭਲਾਈ ਕਰ। ਗੁੱਸਾ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਨਾਹ ਆਉਣ ਦੇਹ।
Farid, do good to the bad, don’t let mind get angry
ਦੇਹੀ ਰੋਗੁ ਲਗਈ ਪਲੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਇ ੭੮॥
देही रोगु न लगई पलै सभु किछु पाइ ॥७८॥
Ḏehī rog na lag▫ī palai sabẖ kicẖẖ pā▫e. ||78||
Your body shall not suffer from any disease, and you shall obtain everything. ||78||
ਤੇਰੀ ਕਾਇਆ ਨੂੰ ਕੋਈ ਬੀਮਾਰੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗੂਗੀ ਅਤੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸਾਰਾ ਕੁਝ ਪਰਾਪਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਵੇਗਾ।
ਦੇਹੀ = ਸਰੀਰ ਨੂੰ। ਨ ਲਗਈ = ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗਦਾ। ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ = ਹਰੇਕ ਚੀਜ਼। ਪਲੈ ਪਾਇ = ਪੱਲੇ ਪਈ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਸਾਂਭੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ ॥੭੮॥

(ਇਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ) ਸਰੀਰ ਨੂੰ ਕੋਈ ਰੋਗ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਹਰੇਕ ਪਦਾਰਥ (ਭਾਵ, ਚੰਗਾ ਗੁਣ) ਸਾਂਭਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ ॥੭੮॥
Body does not get sick, all stays well

Another one perhaps less related,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦੁਨੀ ਵਜਾਈ ਵਜਦੀ ਤੂੰ ਭੀ ਵਜਹਿ ਨਾਲਿ
फरीदा दुनी वजाई वजदी तूं भी वजहि नालि ॥
Farīḏā ḏunī vajā▫ī vajḏī ṯūʼn bẖī vajėh nāl.
Fareed, the world dances as it dances, and you dance with it as well.
ਫਰੀਦ! ਜਿਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਸ਼ੈਤਾਨ ਨਚਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਹੀ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਨਚਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤੂੰ ਭੀ ਇਸ ਦੇ ਸੰਗ ਹੀ ਖੇਡਦਾ ਹੈਂ;
ਦੁਨੀ = ਦੁਨੀਆ, ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਲੋਕ। ਵਜਾਈ = ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰੇਰੀ ਹੋਈ। ਨਾਲਿ = ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ।

ਹੇਫਰੀਦ! ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਲੋਕ (ਵਾਜੇ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ) ਵਜਾਏ ਹੋਏ ਵੱਜ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ, ਤੂੰ ਭੀਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਹੀ ਵੱਜ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈਂ, (ਭਾਵ, ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਨਚਾਇਆ ਨੱਚ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈਂ)।
Farid, world is playing as played, you are so playing to
ਸੋਈ ਜੀਉ ਵਜਦਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਅਲਹੁ ਕਰਦਾ ਸਾਰ ੧੧੦॥
सोई जीउ न वजदा जिसु अलहु करदा सार ॥११०॥
So▫ī jī▫o na vajḏā jis alhu karḏā sār. ||110||
That soul alone does not dance with it, who is under the care of the Lord God. ||110||
ਕੇਵਲ ਉਹ ਜੀਵ ਹੀ ਨਾਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ, ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਰਖਵਾਲੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।
ਜਿਸੁ = ਜਿਸ ਦੀ। ਸਾਰ = ਸੰਭਾਲ। ਅਲਹੁ = ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ॥੧੧੦॥

ਉਹੀ (ਭਾਗਾਂ ਵਾਲਾ) ਜੀਵ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਵਜਾਇਆ ਹੋਇਆ) ਨਹੀਂ ਵੱਜਦਾ, ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਸੰਭਾਲ (ਰਾਖੀ)ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਆਪ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ (ਸੋ, ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਉੱਠ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਯਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਜੁੜ, ਤਾਕਿ ਤੇਰੀਭੀ ਸੰਭਾਲ ਹੋ ਸਕੇ) ॥੧੧੦॥
Such person does not play who the creator so cares

Sat Sri Akal. mundahug

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ambarsariaji,

I can only speak for my background, my 'wedding' has not been blessed by Anand Karaj, so no the dowry angle did not enter, however, let us not pretend that our religion is not a culprit in this matter, it is as common in Sikhi as it is in any Indian religion

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ambarsariaji,

I can only speak for my background, my 'wedding' has not been blessed by Anand Karaj, so no the dowry angle did not enter, however, let us not pretend that our religion is not a culprit in this matter, it is as common in Sikhi as it is in any Indian religion
Veer Harry Haller ji just one comment.

Religion NO, culture YES.

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Ambarsariaji,

Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

In our joint family of 6 men, we all brought the girls home with the suits and the jewellery they wore during Lavan which were all given by our family to the brides. I was the only one among the 6 who got married outside India, in Los Angeles and my Mum sent the stuff for my then wife to be Harsimran. This was the the prerequisite set forth by our family no matter how well off the families were.

However, when the 8 girls in the joint family got married. They were given everything the sisters wanted but many of the grooms' families refused the offerings because of our previous actions with the men in our family.

So, Ambarsaria ji is right. It is not the religion but the culture. All my nephews and nieces who got married in the US, Canada and UK; the rules have remained the same and no one is complaining or bickering about it, but to the contrary.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
OMG just because the guru ji said were not allowed to do blah blah, some people still do it!:23_2_72: just like were not allowed Alcohol, I can gurantee more than 60% of Sikhs drink Alcohol xD but Dowry is still in "Punjabi" culture, and so is the caste system, even though the guru ji rejects it, most people don't want their jatt sons to marry chamar girls no offense..

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
OMG just because the guru ji said were not allowed to do blah blah, some people still do it!:23_2_72: just like were not allowed Alcohol, I can gurantee more than 60% of Sikhs drink Alcohol xD but Dowry is still in "Punjabi" culture, and so is the caste system, even though the guru ji rejects it, most people don't want their jatt sons to marry chamar girls no offense..
Whatever your religion, once you find a sense of respect and piety, you may have stones to throw. Right now it is just a bunch of dis-respectful nonsense in most of your posts and, "I know all attitude". This will take you far in worldly affairs but not in spirituality.

Which Guru ji taught you the dis-respectfully and turd disturbing way you are posting. I would like to know lol.

Good luck.Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM