• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Think I Could Hear My Computer Laughing At Me

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
My computer right now has a corruption that interferes with the local settings of several software programs that I use. I need to send it in for repair, but I have been reluctant to due so because I am loathe to be without it.

The other night, I was drove home from work in the snow in 30 degree (F) weather, which made for a long and icy commute.

I started my computer, and my little WeatherBug software program running on the task bar reminded me that at 8PM it was 30 degrees. I started to work on sone urgent matters, and while I did, the temperature started falling quickly. When I finished the material, the temperature had fallen to 20 degrees.

I took care of other things, did Simran, played with the cat and...dozed off. I went in to shut down the computer - when I noticed that the taskbar said it was 5 degrees below zero!

5 below!! We just went through an unusually ugly cold snap like that a few weeks ago! I wasn't expecting it to return? 5 below zero means when I arrive home, the inside of my nose freezes just during the walk from the car to the door.

I shuddered at the idea of greeting that kind of cold in the moring, and pondered over what to wear to work. Then, I realized that somethng was odd...I wasn't feeling the bitter drafts that only show up in subzero weather. With suspicion, I turned back to my computer.

The thermometer settings had switched over, by themselves, to Metric.

It was -5 degrees C, not -5 degrees F. -5 C means it was still 20 degrees F. Cold, yes, but not ugly.

I swear I heard laughter coming from the machine....

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
Naturally, nothing happens automatically, ergo, the local settings corruption. It's a bit of a pain - so is being without any computing power at all :down:

But, I will spare Mr. Gates. This time.

This problem lies squarely with Mr. Dell. :D :D :D

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
LOL!

A "kiddie", no, not a kiddie. Not yet, anyway.

A "kitty" though...hmm... that is possible.
wonder if that kitty cat was after the Mouse again?? :rofl!!:

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
LOL!! Thanks so much for your offer! Unfortunately, I know exactly what is causing it. Its an XP profile corruption that was caused by some (ahem) physical damage to the laptop. As a result, my local settings for a few profile-specific apps on two specific user profiles have gotten a bit...interesting, shall I say? :rofl!!:

Hopefully by next week I'll either be at a point in my work where I won't have to be on the darn thing day and night and can mail it in...or...I'll at least be at a point where I can finagle someone else's laptop. :up:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM