• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure How To Take Up Salwar?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
***Could an admin please change the title - they are not patiala salwar, my mistake***

Greetings

So I was given some lovely fabric by auntie at Gurdwara Sahib along with the name and number of a local tailor. I went there with my favourite salwar and kameez and asked her to make the new suit the same dimensions as the one I gave her. I didn't let her measure me (I have space issues and was terribly nervous already).

In hindsight I really should have let her measure me because the salwar are about 1 inch longer than the salwar I gave her as template, which means they're much too long for me (the ones I gave her only just fit me and could probably be made shorter too actually).

So now I have two really lovely suits in every other regard but I can't wear them cos my feet disappear! I don't want to take them to another tailor because my husband already bawked at the cost of getting them made in the first place. And I don't want to tell him they don't fit. *shame*

So, the question is, does anyone know of any videos, or sites with pictures, or just plain text, where I can learn about taking them up?

Many thanks

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What kind are they? Some types are cut on the bias and it affects how you do the hem. And I looked on YouTube and cannot find anything other than how to cut and sew salwar from scratch.

I would also go back to the tailor because she might do it for you for free, or very little money, before taking it on myself.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I have another tailor I might take it to, an old Hindu lady whose daughter takes all her bookings. She seems fair. I won't go back to the new tailor, bad experience.

For me next trick, telling my husband without him blowing a gasket. >.<

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
For ones that are not too long, I roll the top under a few times after tying them fairly tight and that pulls the bottom up a bit. They are usually ok unless they are like 5 inches too long....

The alteration has to be done at the top usually. The top panel down to the pleats has to be undone, and then sewn together further down the leg... its not usually as simple as making a new hem especially if there are beadwork etc at the bottom.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Rolling it up at the waist might actually work for the meantime. Suspenders too LOL! If I pull the waist up under my boobs the salwar fit OK at the ankles lol

They don't have beadwork but they do have a spotty pattern which would mean a whole new hem on each leg - I'll paste a pic later.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Rolling it up at the waist might actually work for the meantime. Suspenders too LOL! If I pull the waist up under my boobs the salwar fit OK at the ankles lol

They don't have beadwork but they do have a spotty pattern which would mean a whole new hem on each leg - I'll paste a pic later.

Yeah you will have to get it altered at the top. I had a few like that... its not a huge task for a tailor but beyond my sewing skills ;) I can make kameez skinner if they are too wide at the waist, and I can sew on the sleeves for ones that come with the sleeves not attached... but salwar is beyond my capability because of those pleats!! I make sure to order specifically salwar 37" in length... (I'm a shorty) so I know they will fit. If you try to just make a new hem, you will lose that pattern at the bottom or at least some of it.... either continue rolling the waist or have them altered by a tailor who knows how to take the top apart.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: