• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General How To Keep Your Chunni On Your Head

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hullo,

So I went and purchased a salwar kameez yesterday right. That's good.

However, I neglected to take note of the fabric the chunni/dupatta was made of.

Turns out it's very silky, and slides off my head within a couple of movements unless I wrap it around my neck tightly.

Do any of you Kaurs have a hint as to how to wear it / how to keep it on?

And please, no comments about wearing a dastaar instead, that is not the question I'm asking and I am aware of some people's views regarding this already.

Thank you!

Dec 8, 2005
Toronto
Re: How to keep your chunni on your head?

Hi,

Nice to know.

While shopping for chunni I always try to keep in mind the stuff, whether it will be easy to handle or not. But still sometimes it does happen with me that I end up buying such stuff.

In that case it is quite difficult to wear it properly even if I wear it quite tight around my neck so I use simple hair-pins to stabilise it. Also if you are not comfortable with what you are wearing you can't concentrate.

So I don't mind using hair-pins to stabilise my chunni. I have seen other ladies too resorting to the same method. Also there is no hard & fast rule regarding how to wear your chunni as what is more important is that you are covering your head properly.

I think this will help.

Thanks & regards,

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Thank you for your reply. :)

I will definately try to remember to take care with which fabric I buy in future!!!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Hmm, so I was having a look around you tube today, and I found this video about how to wear a dupatta. I grabbed mine, and had a bit of a play.

The style used in the video was to put it over your head, hook it behind your ears, bring one side across the front of your neck and then over the top of the back part of your head (so it's back where you started, only wrapped around your neck/head) and then tucking the end in under your chin.

It looks like quite a Muslim way of wearing it, but boy, it's not going anywhere!

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not this style is "acceptable" for a Sikh to wear, since it does look quite a bit like hijab?

Gee I wish I could find a picture of the style!

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Thanks kds1980.

It has been a while. So much has changed in my life, I've gone from owning my own home to renting a place in a mining town 2300kms from home.

I'm ashamed to say that in that time, Sikhi took a back seat. Now things have settled down again and I'm back on the learning track.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Hmm, so I was having a look around you tube today, and I found this video about how to wear a dupatta. I grabbed mine, and had a bit of a play.

The style used in the video was to put it over your head, hook it behind your ears, bring one side across the front of your neck and then over the top of the back part of your head (so it's back where you started, only wrapped around your neck/head) and then tucking the end in under your chin.

It looks like quite a Muslim way of wearing it, but boy, it's not going anywhere!

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not this style is "acceptable" for a Sikh to wear, since it does look quite a bit like hijab?

Gee I wish I could find a picture of the style!

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Every style of wearing dupatta on head is acceptable in sikhism.It is only some people who want to differentiate themselves that's why they wear different style.If you feel comfortable
in style you like then you should wear it.

Thanks kds1980.

It has been a while. So much has changed in my life, I've gone from owning my own home to renting a place in a mining town 2300kms from home.

I'm ashamed to say that in that time, Sikhi took a back seat. Now things have settled down again and I'm back on the learning track.

Good to know That you are back on learning track.If possible then please stay on spn.
Spn is now a much more interesting place.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Ishna

Kds ji is right in saying anyway of wearing a chunni is OK. But I know what you mean about the wrap-around-the-neck solution. There doesn't seem to be an ideal answer -- but what about letting it hang loose on your shoulders and secure it to your hair with a couple of hat pins?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Just to bring a thread full circle in case any other newbie Kaur comes along with this question...

Best method I've found to keep any chunni / dupatta on my head is to clip it to my hair with little hair claws. I tie my hair near the crown of my head (were you'd put a regular pony-tail) and just pinch the fabric of my chunni with some of my hair right in front of the tie and clip it. I use 2 clips, one on either side of my pony-tail. It works with your hair down or in a plait but make sure you get enough hair or the claw clip will just slide off.

But most recently I've discovered bonnet caps and underscarves being sold at a Muslim stall at a market which gives the chunni something to seriously cling to.

But nothing beats a super comfy cotton chunni anytime!

Sat Sri Akal!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM