• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How To Handle Fallen Kes?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Let's return to the topic of "kes" and how to dispose of fallen kes.

With regard to the disposal of a dead body, the Sikh Rehat Maryada says this, in Section 4, Chapter 11, Article 19

c. However young the deceased may be, the body should be cremated. However, where arrangements for cremation cannot be made, there should be no qualm about the body being immersed in flowing water or disposed of in any other manner.

Rules about the disposal of dead bodies are liberal. So, why not also for hair? Therefore, I would surmise that there should be "no qualm" about the disposal of kes be it cremation, in bodies of flowing water or " in any other manner."

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Hair falls out at the rate of about 100 hairs or more per day on average. It is impossible to account for every single hair as they fall out. Even if you wear keski / dastaar, when you take it off, when you wash, when you comb, you will inevitably lose some. That cycle of hair loss is perfectly normal and part of nature. We can honour kesh by keeping it, and isn't part of that honour also acknowledging that it's part of our biology that it will fall out as new hair comes to grow in and replace it?

Our whole body is in a constant state of renewal... cells from everything from our skin, to organs etc are always shedding and renewing. Hair is no different.

I think when it's fallen off on its own, its ok to dispose of how one sees fit as it's no longer part of the body anymore.

It is for that reason that I don't believe that any sort of ritual needs to be done when it's no longer part of my body. And anyway, ritual in general is discouraged is it not?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I do not know if this will be publishable here on SPN, but I hope it is because, for some reason, it reminds me of this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=582803225122302&notif_t=notify_me

I am, however, a bit slow, so I'll answer about kesh. I have always saved my kesh removed from my kangha in a small wooden box and disposed of them as I would any dead part of my body, by burning them. Now, however, I live in a situation where this is not possible. I have been simply tossing them into the recycle bin. I'm not sure if they're really recyclable or not, but it's only a small amount. My kesh in the drain or on my clothes or the floor or anywhere else, I leave to themselves.

If I have a point to make here - and I'm not certain I do - it is that what I do with dead kesh is immaterial. While they are alive and a part of my body, I hold them sacred and love and care for them. When they are dead, they are just dead.:grinningsingh:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I was pondering the very point Akasha made in an earlier post before actually reading it here. We do lose hair all day long, sometimes we aren't even aware that a strand has fallen here or there. Combing through the drain, or carefully gathering each strand from a comb or brush, simply won't account for all of it. All this in spite of the awareness that accounting for dead body parts is of no consequence. That is more of a job for forensic investigators looking for trace evidence. Thanks Akasha ji. You put that into perspective very nicely.

sandeep17oct

SPNer
Nov 26, 2011
Spnadmin ji, Gyani ji

Can I go off on a tangent on rituals, please, please, please.......:mundakhalsaflag::winkingmunda::winkingmunda::winkingmunda::winkingmunda::winkingmunda::winkingmunda:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sandeeo ji

If you are not going to stay on topic, then the answer is NO. And I do not see anything in what Akasha said that pertains to rituals. So don't go there either. Thanks.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM