• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hard Talk How Many Sikhs Have Married Out Of Caste/race?

Have You Married Out of Your Caste/Race/Tribe? Why or Why Not?

• Yes

Votes: 113 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 181 61.6%

• Total voters
i just think love is more important then religion or caste, if you happen to meet someone who you just click with then you should go for it, if it happens to be a person of the same religion and caste as you then awesome cos everyone is happy, if not then still follow your heart i say, because if you believe there is a god then why would he present you with your soul mate and not want you to be with them!

Mothers, fathers, friends, children and spouses-no one is the support of anyone else. For each and every person, our Lord and Master provides sustenance. Why are you so afraid, O mind? || 2 || The flamingoes fly hundreds of miles, leaving their young ones behind. Who feeds them, and who teaches them to feed themselves? Have you ever thought of this in your mind? || 3 || All the nine treasures, and the eighteen supernatural powers are held by our Lord and Master in the Palm of His Hand. Servant Nanak is devoted, dedicated, forever a sacrifice to You, Lord. Your Expanse has no limit, no boundary. || 4 || 5 || ang 10

braveheart

SPNer
Jul 28, 2008
If two people are in natural love then they must choose each other as their life partners , irrespective of any social differences.
Sikh Gurus strongly discarded the discarded the tradition of dividing the humans based on caste system .
Sikhism is based on human equality and to follow the universal laws of nature and to keep this spirit and faith , innumerous sacrifices by brave sikh people have been given.
Being born as a human being is better than being born as animal but being born in a Sikh generation is the grace of God.

I am proud to be born from Sikh parents .
Pyaar bhari "sat sri akaal " to all of Sikh brothers and sisters.
"waheguru ji ka khalsa , waheguru ji ki fateh "

gautam25

SPNer
Jul 6, 2008
I am writting on a blog for the first time.... though i read all you guys all the time... i am punjabi Hindu... i just want to ask one thing when Sikh girl who beilves in her religion follows it with all her will.. and does get married out of cast (of her own choice)... and the guy who she is married support her in every way he can and same does her spouse.. but when these guys will have kids what will happen, i belive people can follow any relgion that they want because it is a belief... that come from within a person... problem comes when that belief or religion becomes a discipline or social way of life or politics. My belief starts and ends at three things Ek Onkar, Seva, and your family (parents, siblings, wife, kids) ...
Please tell me my friends ... what will happen in the life of these people what can they say to their kids and how should grandparents from either sides react to it

Jun 1, 2008
SAT SRI AKAL ,
Gautam ji thanks for ur question which is infact a good one. guru nanak says -beliefs come to mind through mind itself .so it is a personal choice as to which religion to follow nd which not. as far as inter-religious marriages r concerned the kids must hav freedom for their religion it is not always there that the kids follow the religion of their father there r cases of sikhs(SIKH PIONEERS) marrying christian girls nd their kids developing as christians the reason being that mothers hav a greater influence on their kids.

so the point here is that one has the freedom for his religion like wise kids must hav theirs.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am writting on a blog for the first time.... though i read all you guys all the time... i am punjabi Hindu... i just want to ask one thing when Sikh girl who beilves in her religion follows it with all her will.. and does get married out of cast (of her own choice)... and the guy who she is married support her in every way he can and same does her spouse.. but when these guys will have kids what will happen, i belive people can follow any relgion that they want because it is a belief... that come from within a person... problem comes when that belief or religion becomes a discipline or social way of life or politics. My belief starts and ends at three things Ek Onkar, Seva, and your family (parents, siblings, wife, kids) ...
Please tell me my friends ... what will happen in the life of these people what can they say to their kids and how should grandparents from either sides react to it

Gautam ji

Actually I know more than a few Hindu/Sikh married couples. And sometimes it is the father's religion that determines the religion of the children; other times it is the mother's religion. I have seen this both with older people of my generation, and with younger people in their 20's and 30's. It is curious -- but it seems that individual families work this out using their own sense of family rules. Another pattern -- very often the Hindu partner will attend gurdwara on a regular basis. Often this is something that comes up because the person had a Sikh grandparent who was very influential -- could be either a grandmother or a grandfather -- and so as a child the Hindu went to gurdwara and continues to do so into adulthood.

I don't really think that there are dependable ways to predict what religious path a person who is in a mixed-religion marriage will follow. At different stages of life, different solutions may make sense, and others not.

Now the thread is about mixed caste and mixed race marriages. So caste and race can make things more complicated when both partners are Sikhs, but the ability of families and individuals to negotiate values and beliefs makes a difference. Being inflexible and unable to discuss things is a problem no matter what.

Simmi

SPNer
Nov 17, 2006
Bahrain
Hi,

I think marriage is between two different people and not between religion. Marry a person whom you love not because he is sikh or non sikh.

uresunny

SPNer
Mar 8, 2008
sasikal g,,,,,, caste dont matter, m not married, but my sis is maaried in diffrent caste,, . and it was arranged by my parents,
, but geetting married out of religion, is one thing hard to swallow,. . i ll try , not to get married out of my religion,,,,,,, :D

toot_roberts

SPNer
Aug 5, 2008
i still stand by what i said before that it is fine to marry outside of religion, you can't help who you fall in love with and if you believe in god then you must believe that god has brought 2 people into each others life for a purpose.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i still stand by what i said before that it is fine to marry outside of religion, you can't help who you fall in love with and if you believe in god then you must believe that god has brought 2 people into each others life for a purpose.

I don't know about USA or other western countries.But in India in inter religious marriages
it is majority of times are women who end up giving up their religion.If a Hindu girl marries a muslim man she start practising islam and vice versa.Same is true for other religions.

So net result of inter religious marriage favours man and women end up as losers of their religion and kids normally take's their father's religion.That's why inter religious marriages are harshly opposed by girl's parents if they are religious.

toot_roberts

SPNer
Aug 5, 2008
in the case of inter-religion marriages i don't think that the religion of either parent should be enforced upon the child, i think that they should learn about the religions but that ultimately it is up to the which (if any) they decide to choose.

May 5, 2008
Maryland
I feel any two people can marry, if they can live happily thereafter.

Now to live happily without creating problems for each other, and fighting over lifestyle, religious preferences, money spending habits, eating habits, going out and 100's of things over which 2 people can disagree.

Small issues like your favorite color or favorite perfume, don't really matter, but then social lifestyle, religion, faith, culture, your festivals, family culture are somethings, differences there can create problems.

So same religion may solve many of these problems, if both follow say Sikhism, now the caste, I used to believe that for a Gursikh caste doesn't matter, and if both are Amritdhari, they are Khalsa, and hence shouldn't care about the caste.

But, off late, looking at my Indian friends, I realize that with different castes, come different lifestyle and habits. So in Indian conditions even caste matters. Same religion and caste help both husband and wife understand each other better.

Also, not only caste, there are other things that make a lot of difference, even if both the boy and the girl belong to same faith/caste:

Education: both are same caste, but 1 is educated, the other 1 is not, you can't marry in such a case, so no caste, better marry a person from other caste.

Money Matters: Highly unlikely, that a rich family marries their son/daughter in a poor family, even if they are same religion/caste.

City/Village: A family living in city, won't adjust to the living conditions in villages (esp Indian villages) even if they are a Rich Landlord.

So basically, marry anywhere, any caste, any faith, if you can live happily thereafter.

For me, I want my wife to be Gursikh, have a religious mindset, I don't care about caste, but only nature. And, if the other person can get along with you, you guys compliment each other. go ahead and marry.

Most Indian Parents, want their kids to marry within their caste. So, if one can't go against their parents, you can't marry inter caste. I guess Sikhism tells us not to fight with parents.

So many people do a fake marriage I heard, just to get the visa or citizenship abroad.

No one is perfect, so check out your preferences, you feel the there are more positives than negatives, that's a green signal.

just some thoughts that came to my mind

bhul chuk maaf

Guru Ji Mehar karan
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

toot_roberts

SPNer
Aug 5, 2008
my parents are both fairly religious (mum more than dad) but i don't think that they tried hard enough to instill religion in me, they did not even try hard enough to teach me punjabi as i was growing up, now that i am older they turn around and expect me to be a religious girl who speaks perfect punjabi and marries into a sikh family, when the truth of the matter is that i am not really that religious, i would probably not even consider myself to be a follower of hte religion but like the confort and security i get when i call myself a sikh as i do still respect the religion a lot and would love to follow it but i feel it is a little late in my life now, i have fallen in love with a non-indian non-sikh guy, we both believe that there is a god out there but are not followers of any particular religion, when we do have children i will send them to the gurdwara to punjabi class so that they can learn the language and possibly some of the religion too but i do not want to control them too much and will let them make up their own mind as to whether or not the decide to follow it.

Singh1312

SPNer
Oct 17, 2008
Dasuya,Hoshiarpur,PUNJAB
Sat sri akal,

Iam a punjabi sikh guy, jado v koi marriage di gall karda hai,,uh sab ton pehlan ihi question puchda..."Tuhadi Caste ki hai?"...ih ik common scene hai punjab vich. har koi lecture kar dinda is gall te ki Casteism da sikhism naal koi relation nahi,,,,par practically isnu koi nahi implement karda apni life vich,,,,,........ Guru ji ne har sikh nu apne name naal "Singh te Kaur" laun lai keha ,par asi us singh ya kaur de piche apna surname laa ke Guru ji da hi niradar kar rahe haan........

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, Canuck Singh! Interesting points! Just came across something you might find yourself interested in. A friend sent me this link: Zeitgeist - The Movie
I took a look at it; it is about 2 hours long. Had some interesting ideas, and evidently there is an addendum to it, and more info may be found at The Zeitgeist Movement
However, in the addendum movie, they seek to debunk religion in general, which is rather sad. At any rate, the point is that in the addendum movie they talk about the world becoming basically one race, and that is why I brought it up. Check it out; let me know what you think. I have yet to visit the site; shall keep you posted as well.
Cheers!
Wahe Guru
KulwantK

Sat Nam, Canuck Singh! Interesting points! Just came across something you might find yourself interested in. A friend sent me this link: Zeitgeist - The Movie
I took a look at it; it is about 2 hours long. Had some interesting ideas, and evidently there is an addendum to it, and more info may be found at The Zeitgeist Movement
However, in the addendum movie, they seek to debunk religion in general, which is rather sad. At any rate, the point is that in the addendum movie they talk about the world becoming basically one race, and that is why I brought it up. Check it out; let me know what you think. I have yet to visit the site; shall keep you posted as well.
Cheers!
Wahe Guru
KulwantK

Its a good movie to expose what the monetary system is and how the ones that run it are using any means necessary to keep it in power. The Zeitgeist Movement is great, but it also has flaws in it. What they say about religion is in my opinion somewhat true. But overall they have generalized religion and mislead the viewer in this part.

The head leaders of Sikhi are creating division among Sikhs by letting the caste system continue in Sikhi. Separate Gurdwaras are being built for separate caste. What is needed is unity in Sikhs first, and then we can move into the world and create unity. The head authorities (sgpc) are misusing their power and are influenced by the monetary system and politicians that only look to maximize profit for there expenditures and power system.

Anpreet

SPNer
Nov 18, 2008
I have always been against the caste system and never believed in it. However my family want me to marry a fellow jatt. I have had various debates/arguments with them but I still get told that I must marry a jatt. I get so stressed out about this because I feel I am not being true to myself and as a sikh I feel I am failing.

If anyone has any advice regarding my situation please do share. There are times when I get really upset about this and just dont know who to turn to.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I have always been against the caste system and never believed in it. However my family want me to marry a fellow jatt. I have had various debates/arguments with them but I still get told that I must marry a jatt. I get so stressed out about this because I feel I am not being true to myself and as a sikh I feel I am failing.

If anyone has any advice regarding my situation please do share. There are times when I get really upset about this and just dont know who to turn to.

Dear Anpreet

If your family want's That you should marry a jatt and you will find a good jatt sikh who share similar views as you have then I don't think there is anything wrong in it.But If You already have someone in your life who is non jatt sikh then situation is different

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: