• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Harleen Kaur Nottay: Britain's Next Top Model?

dilraj7447

SPNer
Apr 18, 2009
Well,

Very apparently , it looks to promote the designer clothes to Sikh Guys. The guy in the picture and the model show were not real Sikh Guys .

If you actually want to discuss the SIKH MoDELLING then those guys would flaunt their gatka skills , their well built strong bodies not naked but in a decent manner only ofcourse sikhs are known strong fighters whom enemies have feared. Look at Baba Deep singh jee Long and Well Built . One SUch Example. Look at This link :

http://www.sikhnet.com/news/2009-mr-singh-international-competition-announced

These are SIkh Models.

Well Can you tell me who have promoted this site ? I wish to know the names of the persons who have started this site ?

One other reply to one of the singhs . Writing in front of this Laptop is a way of communicationg and discussing things related to our culture. defintely, the need should be that we people after discussion should involve like minded people , meet and start doing action. We can be teach each other many things ans also other sikh guys and girls . Is anybody willing to come forward ...Lets start on weekends to meet if we all belong from some nearby areas, carry out some surveys on the areas to be focussed for preaching or imparting Sikh education or taking help of some people who know animation to teach our small children the sikh history get it telecast on PTC small children like POGO .CN watch Chota Bheem hanuman , But do they know bhai Matidas Jee or bhai taru jee ...We need to use todays media and other soucres to work out things in the most easy manner from the children.

Thanks .

:khanda3:

Feb 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I personaly don't like the whole thing. I'm not a big fan of the whole modeling scene whether it be with men or women. In many cases doing those types of jobs causes a person to lower their morals and standards and pushes them more towards a babylonian exsitence or in other words a life atached to maya. I see it as bringing down the already patheticly low moral fabric of our western societies. As for her telling people to follow their dreams, well, I agree people should do that but I also believe people should seriously sit down and examine what their dreams are and how they will effect the world around them. For example, if it was my dream to become the biggest and most powerful drug dealer in North America is that really something I should try and pursure? I don't know, I may only be 21 years old but I'm very "Old Fashioned" as it were. Anyways, thats just my 2 cents worth. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
Sat Naam Saadh Sangat

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep Singh ji
You are right this time. SikhChic is for a diverse group, just as I said in my previous post. It is not a liberal site, as you said in one of your previous posts. I will post the web profile for its visitors after I read all the new threads for today. :)

Added later. At this link are the statistics describing the typical web audience for SikhChic. They should give us a sense as to whether youngsters are likely to form the wrong impressions from this information http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/sikhchic.com

Well sikhchic is certainly not an orthodox site.The discussion about Harleen is also going on sikhchic and look what one person has written in it.

B. (London, United Kingdom), July 16, 2010, 6:19 PM.
If having cut your hair is not an issue, then why were we told to keep it?

I don't know whether this person is he/she and falls in which age Group

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kanwardeep Singh ji Glad you are backing off a little bit. The statistical audience profile is a view of the "typical." There will be precocious young people who like to read more sophisticated information that can be found in SikhChic. The question you quoted is actually an excellent question for a youngster to pose to adults because if B is a youngster then B is simply saying - If you are what you say you are, then give me an answer that makes sense.

You know when I was 10 years old I was already reading Time Magazine and asking my parents to explain sex scandals in the British government and was a lesbian was. And they just answered. And that was 54 years ago. They were/are not liberals and they promoted education over glamor -- to a ridiculous extent. However, my parents did not ever hide reading material or protect me from reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dilraj ji

In your above post you asked who was promoting "this site?" I am not sure what site you are referring to. I can find out if you let me know.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
I personaly don't like the whole thing. I'm not a big fan of the whole modeling scene whether it be with men or women. In many cases doing those types of jobs causes a person to lower their morals and standards and pushes them more towards a babylonian exsitence or in other words a life atached to maya. I see it as bringing down the already patheticly low moral fabric of our western societies. As for her telling people to follow their dreams, well, I agree people should do that but I also believe people should seriously sit down and examine what their dreams are and how they will effect the world around them. For example, if it was my dream to become the biggest and most powerful drug dealer in North America is that really something I should try and pursure? I don't know, I may only be 21 years old but I'm very "Old Fashioned" as it were. Anyways, thats just my 2 cents worth. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
Sat Naam Saadh Sangat

I was also going to write about a career in drug dealin but then deleted what I wrote...... the point is, yeah some Sikhs may decide to make a living in crime but to be honest with you I would not go around seeking fame from it but just stay under the radar.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
Well sikhchic is certainly not an orthodox site.The discussion about Harleen is also going on sikhchic and look what one person has written in it.

I don't know whether this person is he/she and falls in which age Group

I wrote that:

Harminder: "This is in response to "Joti Kaur" - simply having long hair does not make one a Sikh. I have never had long hair, but I consider myself a Sikh. I know some people who are Amritdhari Sikhs who certainly do not live their lives according to the ideology promoted by our Gurus. Physical appearance does not always correlate to a person's belief and values systems. What is important - in my humble opinion - is that the key values of our religion (hard-work, charity, remembering God) are followed. "

B: "I think Harminder and the others are confused ... basically yes, you are not a good person merely because you keep your hair unshorn, and you may not be a good person if you cut you hair. You are confusing the notion of keeping hair and being good or bad. One thing is clear though, that Sikhism is not only defined by your actions but also your outer appearance which includes keeping your hair to preserve your God-given gifts. If having cut your hair is not an issue, then why were we told to keep it?"

What I was trying to get at, is if Harminder does not believe keeping hair is that important then why did the religion instruct us to keep our hair.... which is kind of challenging her to speak against Sikhism..... winkingmunda (check mate!)

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
What about this Sikh model? What do forum members have to say. He was a well publicized image following the 2009 Mumbai fashion extravaganza held every year. In fact the promotional material states the Sikh presence was definitely felt that year.

In some ways he is presenting a very different picture - he is keshdhari or so it appears. Like Harleen is he seeking publicity? Is it OK for him to be a fashion model? Is he a good or a bad role model for youngsters? Has he abandoned Sikh values? Do we know if he will take off his clothes if he is asked to do so?

Full story at this link
http://fateh.sikhnet.com//sikhnet/news.nsf/NewsArchive/8085193843C0592F87257420004FD365

I picked this up at Sikhnet which is also a Sikh site.

There is says ?'Moreover, it also signified that being a Sikh doesn't hinder you from being a model and sporting the latest fashion. The line is meant for the more fashion conscious consumer,' he added."

Just some thoughts.:happykaur:

So is this a fake Singh? His paagh looks cool, might copy it......... any way lets just say he is a real Singh I would say that he is a good role model..... you see, some like him would be the perfect example of a modern Sikhs.... being cool and trendy which goes to show you how Sikhs can be cool, attractive etc etc and its not only the monay Sikhs that have these traits as portrayed by the media. So girls will say, yah man he is hot where can I find Singhs like him and all of a sudden Singhs are popular again.

So this model would be doing Sikhism a favour in a postive direction..... I know some of the hardcore Sikhs here would say that I am wrong because you should not be vain, try and look good, stay humble but then if this model is not acceptable then the only avenue people will find is to chop the hair off to escape your critism for going in the right direction but with a modern touch..... winkingmunda

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
badshah ji

My purpose in posting this picture was to ask for more reflection about some of the red herrings and assumptions that tend to be made when we read stories like those about Harleen and Mandira. I have no opinion about whether the Singh is a real Singh a real Sikh or a good role model, because I DON'T KNOW THIS MAN PERSONALLY.

So is this a fake Singh?

Please do not try to read my thoughts. I have no idea whether he is a fake Singh or not.

His paagh looks cool, might copy it......... any way lets just say he is a real Singh I would say that he is a good role model..... you see, some like him would be the perfect example of a modern Sikhs.... being cool and trendy which goes to show you how Sikhs can be cool, attractive etc etc and its not only the monay Sikhs that have these traits as portrayed by the media.

What you are saying is indeed the point of the article about this Singh

So girls will say, yah man he is hot where can I find Singhs like him and all of a sudden Singhs are popular again.

So this model would be doing Sikhism a favour in a postive direction..... I know some of the hardcore Sikhs here would say that I am wrong because you should not be vain, try and look good, stay humble but then if this model is not acceptable then the only avenue people will find is to chop the hair off to escape your critism for going in the right direction but with a modern touch..... winkingmunda

You have addressed exactly the issue that I was hoping would be addressed. That imho is one of the key discussion points relevant to Sikhi in the story about Harleen Kaur - of course not the only relevant point - but an important one.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
badshah ji

My purpose in posting this picture was to ask for more reflection about some of the red herrings and assumptions that tend to be made when we read stories like those about Harleen and Mandira. I have no opinion about whether the Singh is a real Singh a real Sikh or a good role model, because I DON'T KNOW THIS MAN PERSONALLY.

You have addressed exactly the issue that I was hoping would be addressed. That imho is one of the key discussion points relevant to Sikhi in the story about Harleen Kaur - of course not the only relevant point - but an important one.

Yah but Harleen is doing the opposite to the fake Singh/real Singh..... From a Sikhism point of view she represents comformation to what other people need her to look like and therefore plays the victim, but the fake Singh/real Singh represents yeah I am Singh, I am hot and porud - yeaaaaah!

With regards to whether the Singh man had to take his clothes off...... this topic goes back to an old way of thinking and that is if that Singh model was pictured in just his boxer shorts, with a muscular sexy body with naked women all around him - he would be called a stud! If a girl like Harleen did the same then she would be called a {censored}!

However Harleen is the right person for her job because just imagine if that was a proper Sikh girl wearing 5K's going naked in hot lingerie then I am sure she would be shot dead..... so the point is although Harleen is a Sikh she does not represent proper Sikhism and therefore has everything going for her without any backlashs, so she she stiop crying and good luck to her! This is why Sunny Leone also gets away with what she does.... lol!winkingmunda

***Also I think girls get called sluts for getting naked and virtually doswoened especially form people of Indian culture is because if you look at the past women would be seen as the honour of many socities and when people wanted to take over and area then invading party would take their women for themselves or rape them to crush the mood of the men. Thats why women in Indian culture are expected to keep high values for themselves. However this is changing as now parents are having their arms twisted by their children and now even grandparents of some people are saying hey this is england and sex out of wedlock is okay, cutting hair is okay, getting naked is okay....

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
badshah ji

I have no opinion about whether the Singh is a real Singh a real Sikh or a good role model, because I DON'T KNOW THIS MAN PERSONALLY.

.....but you do not know that Harleen either..... we do not need to know them since I think at the moment we are only talking from a outward appearance point of view....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
badshah ji

Maybe I was too subtle. I did not think so.

Yah but Harleen is doing the opposite to the fake Singh/real Singh..... From a Sikhism point of view she represents comformation to what other people need her to look like and therefore plays the victim, but the fake Singh/real Singh represents yeah I am Singh, I am hot and porud - yeaaaaah!

True.

With regards to whether the Singh man had to take his clothes off...... this topic goes back to an old way of thinking and that is if that Singh model was pictured in just his boxer shorts, with a muscular sexy body with naked women all around him - he would be called a stud! If a girl like Harleen did the same then she would be called a {censored}!

No. I asked that question because of the number of times it was suggested that Harleen Kaur would take her clothes off if she had to/was asked to. Does anyone know that for a fact? Or is that jumping to conclusions based only on personal prejudice? I thought she was modeling underwear, not going stark naked.

However Harleen is the right person for her job because just imagine if that was a proper Sikh girl wearing 5K's going naked in hot lingerie then I am sure she would be shot dead.....

What is a proper Sikh girl? You may be making my point for me. Though I am not sure if you are being facetious or actually agree that condemnation based on unfounded assumptions is a good thing? What in the article and conversation to follow leads up to the image of a "proper Sikh girl wearing 5 k's going naked in hot lingerie?" What is your motivation to say that? These are just questions. I am curious. It is pretty clear that Harleen is not a traditional Sikh girl. But what is a "proper Sikh girl?"

so the point is although Harleen is a Sikh she does not represent proper Sikhism and therefore has everything going for her without any backlashs, so she she stiop crying and good luck to her!

This is where I see some room for thought. Does she really have everything going for her. Is there really no backlash?

Thanks. Don't read too much in the way of my personal beliefs when responding to my questions. All I am doing is weighing what I am reading and asking if we are having a serious discussion about models and role models.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
badshah ji

Maybe I was too subtle. I did not think so.

Thanks. Don't read too much in the way of my personal beliefs when responding to my questions. All I am doing is weighing what I am reading and asking if we are having a serious discussion about models and role models.

What is a proper Sikh girl?

Proper SIkh guy or girl is one that represents Sikhism from a outward and inward way.... its the full package!

"What in the article and conversation to follow brings us to the idea of a "proper Sikh girl wearing 5 k's going naked in hot lingerie?"

Its not anything in the article but a way of explaining that since Harleen is not an amritdari Sikh she can do her modelling job.... the point is that if you whole heartedly have solid values in SIkhism then you will not compromise your belief for a modelling job and thats why you will probably never see a proper Sikh girl modelling nude/in lingeire or you will change yourself to not properly represent Sikhism and therefore be able to do such a job.....

For example lots of Singh want to do naughty stuff so they trim their beards and now no longer properly represent SIkhsim....

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
A long time ago, I knew a drug/alcoholism counselor named Larry Something who had a theme he kept hammering on: "If your inside and outside don't match, you're going to have big problems." I think this is relevant here.

Only the young lady can know if her inside and outside match. I do not feel I have the right to judge whether she is a Sikh or not, based on the SRM, which I accept, even when I disagree with it. For me, my inside and outside matching includes 5 kakkars, although, of course, people don't generally see my kechera.

I can say that I don't like the larger community pointing to a scantily clad woman and saying "That's a Sikh." I also do not like people pointing at drug gangs in lower BC and saying, "They are Sikhs." I especially do not like people pointing to spousal abuse, "honour killings" and forced marriages and saying "Those are Sikhs." Equally, it hurts me deeply when people point to men - it's always Singhs in this case - brawling with erstwhile kirpans in gurudwaras while the rest of the world looks on smirking, "Those are Sikhs." These are larger issues in our community that need to be addressed, as well. Since they really are being addressed, I see no harm in a discussion of Bhenji Harleen Kaur Nottay.

My personal opinion of her? I think she looks like an anorexic bobbed-hair toothpick. She is far too skinny for me to see any feminine beauty in her body. Her face is classically beautiful in the Punjabi mold, although again, a bit gaunt. I would personally like to see what she looks like under all the paint. I suspect there is a true beauty lurking in there.

(I know models need to be thin and globbed with cosmetics. I also know that I don't need to like that look. And I don't!)

But what do I know? I'm an old fuddy-duddy of 58 stuck in the 1960s. And a fat fuddy-duddy at that!

icecreamkaur

Last edited:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep Singh ji Glad you are backing off a little bit. The statistical audience profile is a view of the "typical." There will be precocious young people who like to read more sophisticated information that can be found in SikhChic. The question you quoted is actually an excellent question for a youngster to pose to adults because if B is a youngster then B is simply saying - If you are what you say you are, then give me an answer that makes sense.

You know when I was 10 years old I was already reading Time Magazine and asking my parents to explain sex scandals in the British government and was a lesbian was. And they just answered. And that was 54 years ago. They were/are not liberals and they promoted education over glamor -- to a ridiculous extent. However, my parents did not ever hide reading material or protect me from reality.

The problem is not so simple as you mentioned.The answer for gay, lesbian are simple but answer why to keep uncut hair for sikh or why is it necessary
is not simple. parents themselves are confused about it
Sikhism has maintained one position and that is not to promote
any role models which are clean shaven or not to promote any profession where it is necessary to cut hair.That is why we hardly see article on acheivement of clean shaven sikhs.I don't even know how many male and female sikh models are working in Indian modelling industry because no one care about it and neither they ever mention that they are sikh models

Actually it is well known fact and fear among sikh masses that the day they start making casual approach towards uncut hair then not even 1% of sikh youths will maintain it.

And just tell you the fact that few months back I educated my 65 year old father what is a lesbian icecreammunda

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The problem is not so simple as you mentioned.The answer for gay, lesbian are simple but answer why to keep uncut hair for sikh or why is it necessary
is not simple. parents themselves are confused about it
Sikhism has maintained one position and that is not to promote
any role models which are clean shaven or not to promote any profession where it is necessary to cut hair.That is why we hardly see article on acheivement of clean shaven sikhs.I don't even know how many male and female sikh models are working in Indian modelling industry because no one care about it and neither they ever mention that they are sikh models

Actually it is well known fact and fear among sikh masses that the day they start making casual approach towards uncut hair then not even 1% of sikh youths will maintain it.

And just tell you the fact that few months back I educated my 65 year old father what is a lesbian icecreammunda

Kanwardeep Singh ji

Perhaps, I was not clear. The point of my comment about being free as a child to read and ask questions about lesbians had nothing to do with Sikhism's stand on lesbians and gays. This was my response to the idea that young people would be influenced by "liberal" articles in SikhChic. It is dangerous to put information into heavy wraps and think that you are protecting young people by doing so. They will grow up, they will find out, and without any exposure they run a greater risk: To continue life as an ostrich or become fanatics - one way or the other.

I am aware of the SRM stating that one should not dishonor the hair. Which authorities said "not to promote" cutting hair? Emphasis on the word "promote." Which authorities said not to promote professions where it is necessary to cut hair? Are there authorities in Sikhism who have the power and agenda to control the news and limit the flow of information? I did not think so. But if there are please do tell me who they are.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I am aware of the SRM stating that one should not dishonor the hair. Which authorities said "not to promote" cutting hair? Emphasis on the word "promote." Which authorities said not to promote professions where it is necessary to cut hair? Are there authorities in Sikhism who have the power and agenda to control the news and limit the flow of information? I did not think so. But if there are please do tell me who they are.

I am unable to get your point If sikhism says that not to cut hair then how could anyone linked to sikhism could promote cutting hair.It becomes totally contradictory

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am unable to get your point If sikhism says that not to cut hair then how could anyone linked to sikhism could promote cutting hair.It becomes totally contradictory

Kanwardeep Singh ji

Yes... I am asking 1 very specific thing.

Who are the authorities who are speaking against promoting the cutting of hair and seeking professions where one has to cut one's hair. That is not a difficult question.

The SRM forbids dishonoring the hair. A person of average intelligence can figure out that they are in for a backlash if he/she chooses to dishonor their hair. Who are the authorities?

dilraj7447

SPNer
Apr 18, 2009
sikh philosophy .net.....I see people putting up their views on this site. Only Discussions.

Can the promotors of this site or we all who are actively involved in all these discussions come forward to take some action . We need action or practical work more than these discussions.

I find nobody coming up with practical action :

Can the promoters of this site come forward ?

Can we or somebody amongst us learn more about sikh history to devlop some animated serials for children focussing on People like Baba Deep Singh jee , Bhai Mati das Jee.

When children will know the importance of hair , meaning of preserving their religion . the next generation will have these things in the blood. DO you know about MADRSAS concept ? Children are taught their from the beginning about jehads and then that thing goes in the blood .We can imbibe good things our sikh history culture via the media.

I am trying to teach my child about sikh history. He has more influence of choota bheem on POGO rather than my verbal teachings of sikh history.

WHen I showed him bhai mati das jee on the photo , only then he understood what i meant.

SO , we need to work out rather than discuss amongst a few individuals. the need is to reach masses and classes of sikhism.
khandaa

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: