• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Judaism Hallelujah

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hallelujah, Halleluyah, and the Latin form Alleluia are transliterations of the Hebrew word הללויה (Standard Halleluya, Tiberian Halləlûyāh) meaning "Praise Yah".[

Source: Wikipedia

I think Hallelujah has the same place in Judaism as Waheguru in Sikhi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Interesting...hadn't thought of it that way before but makes sense. But I guess the practical application will be different.....

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I don't know about how Jews use the term Hallelujah but I've always thought the terms had a similar connotation, too.

I often sing 'Waheguru' to the tune of the Leonard Cohen song Hallelujah. Same number of syllables. Perhaps it is something to do with naad or something. Got no idea what the actual song is about so apologies, I just like the chorus!

KD Lang sings Hallelujah @ The Logies May 2010 - YouTube

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Psalm 150

• v1 *Hallelujah!
    Shout, "You are the best" to God the *LORD.
    Do it in his *temple. Do it in the skies.

• v2 Shout, "You are the best" to him because he is very strong.
    Shout, "You are the best" to him because he is very powerful.

• v3 Sing, "You are the best" to him with music.
    Use *horns and *harps and *guitars.

• v4 Sing, "You are the best" to him with music.
    Use dancing and *drums, *strings and *pipes.

• v5 Sing, "You are the best" to him with music.
    Use big and small *cymbals.

• v6 Everything that is alive, shout to the *LORD, "You are the best".
    *Hallelujah!

Source: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pose+hallelujah+jews&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I don't know about how Jews use the term Hallelujah but I've always thought the terms had a similar connotation, too.

I often sing 'Waheguru' to the tune of the Leonard Cohen song Hallelujah. Same number of syllables. Perhaps it is something to do with naad or something. Got no idea what the actual song is about so apologies, I just like the chorus!

KD Lang sings Hallelujah @ The Logies May 2010 - YouTube

Leonard Cohen is one of my favourite singers. I have seen his concerts many times. A great poet too.I introduced him to my daughter Jaskeerat when she was a teenager and she loves him too.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
Haleluyah

If you visit a Moslem or Yemenite Jewish or Sefardic wedding, you will hear the women "lalalalallala" covering their mouths shouting. The Ethiopian Christians also did this when King Halisalasi would enter.

Halel means to shout like this

Halelu is the command for you (plural) to do this

Yah is the shortened version of Yhwh tetragrammatation name of God.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
As Harsimiritkaur has said, 'Hallelujah' in translation is really saying: 'shout ye praise to Yah'. As such, the word really comes a little closer to 'Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal' than to 'Waheguru', although both are expressions of praise.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM