• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hair And General Sikh Philosophy Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh
The shabad is only talking about hair when one is completely in love with the Lord and before that people are just using the shabad to say hair is not required in Sikhi because of this shabad. And in this shabad there is only one line that talks about hair rest is about duality and love for the Lord.

'Singh ji!! The shabad is only two lines!!!'

Yes only two lines that you bring up but the whole shabad is more than this. The lines that are above and below it finishes the shabad and the person gets the understanding. Just looking at those two lines misleads a person like you have been mislead; so focused on that one line about hair and trying to prove hair can be cut and forgot to look one line up. Did it ever come to mind to ask yourself has duality and alienation departed from my body and mind? Am I only in love with the Lord or do I still have that duality in my life that from time to time enters me and the lords naam is forgotten even for a millisecond?

Quote:
Either way the shabad does not say keep hair or cut hair.

"You may have long hair or you may shave your head bald" ?? That doesn't tell you that you can have cut or uncut hair?

Read what I wrote above it examples this one line that you cannot understand alone.

Quote:
'There is no need to take the idea of one jyote and use/misuse this idea to claim that there is a universal mandate among all the Gurus to keep hair'

This is not an idea it is a fact because once again the Shabad Guru tells us it is a fact.

Please provide quotes from SGGS that back up your "facts".

I hope this will clear things up for Bhagat ji and Aad ji.

THIRD MEHL: There is One Bani; there is One Guru; there is one Shabad to contemplate. True is the merchandise, and true is the shop; the warehouses are overflowing with jewels. By
Guru.s Grace, they are obtained, if the Great Giver gives them. Dealing in this true merchandise, one earns the profit of the incomparable Naam. In the midst of poison, the Ambrosial Nectar is revealed; by His Mercy, one drinks it in. O Nanak, praise the True Lord; blessed is the Creator, the Embellisher. || 2 || PAUREE: Those who are permeated by falsehood, do not love the Truth. If someone speaks the Truth, falsehood is burnt away. The false are satisfied by falsehood, like the crows who eat manure. When the Lord grants His Grace, then one meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord. As Gurmukh, worship the
Lord.s Name in adoration; fraud and sin shall disappear. || 10 || ang 646

Guru Gobind Singh ji started this discipline he called "Khalsa". He intiated people into this discipline so they could fight oppression!
But Gur Gobind SIngh was smart, what he did was make the Amrit ceremony a ritual (yes a ritual)! This attracted quite a number of people as it seemed very magical to them (and still does). And all Guru Gobind Singh ji really had to do was say was that the water in the bowl would make one(who drinks it) fight millions! And voila!!! We have 21 vs 1000, 40 vs 10000, 2 vs 800 and so on! What power of this simple water and his rebelious discipline!!! It fascinating but it is not to be confused with Sikhism! Well, that's my take on it.’

Thank you for your opinion Bhagat ji. Your opinion clearly shows you do not understand how the Amrit ceremony works and how it is done. But thank you for your opinion I had a fun time reading the fairy tale theories you come up with.

Quote:
Now you tell me which Guru did not say keep hair; keep in mind Ika Bani Ik Gur Iko Shabad Vichaar.

The other 9, even Guru Gobind Singh said keep hair, only to those who were in his new discipline.
About that sentence, please post the whole shabad.

Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji made two orders that day one for the Sikh and the other for the Khalsa. The one for the Sikh said Hukam: A Sikh must keep hair and not smoke tobacco. A Sikh must not have sexual relationship outside the marital bond and cannot eat the flesh of an animal killed slowly in the Muslim way or in any sacrificial ceremony.

Quote:
So how can you say Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji never said a Sikh must keep hair?

'After showing you that shabad by Kabeer ji, I think it's quite obvious how we can say "Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji never said a Sikh must keep hair"'

Read that shabad over and over and over and over and over again until you actually read, understand and apply the first line of the shabad that you presented, here is the line again.

Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

And please don’t tell me to read the shabad over and over again for I understand duality has not departed from me and know this shabad will be speaking to me only when duality and alienation do depart.

Quote:
Because all the Gurus have one jot living in them; there is no difference from any Guru. Please tell us how many jots existed in all the Gurus?

'Ya buddy we all have one jyot in us! Your jyot is no different than the jyot of the Gurus.
Well the Gurus were all different individuals so 10 individual jyots, and one Main Jyot AKA God.'

This is what you think my friend. Please present Gurbani that explains this to back up your claim.

Quote:
Present these facts because Guru Gobind Singh ji gave a hukam to the sikhs and the same hukam went to the Khalsa about keep hair uncut and also Guru Gobind Singh Sahib was intaited in the Khalsa by the Panj Pyare, Which would mean Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji would have to keep his hair and not cut or trim it.

Ok Guru Gobind Singh ji would have definitely started to keep hair when he got intiated. But that doesn't mean he didn't cut his hair before. And it definitely doesn't mean the other Gurus had uncut hair.

Bhagat ji prove it with facts that Guru ji had an hair cut before he created the Khalsa.

Quote:
'This is the same Guru whose did not include his bani in the (Guru Granth Sahib)Adi Granth even when he had the opportunity to do so. '

What do you mean by this, please explain.

She means the so called "Dasam Granth" was not added to SGGS and neither were any of the "rehitnamas".

Aad ji can speak for herself. I would like to hear her take on what she wrote.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Singhji,

Try again!

THIRD MEHL: There is One Bani; there is One Guru; there is one Shabad to contemplate. True is the merchandise, and true is the shop; the warehouses are overflowing with jewels. By
Guru.s Grace, they are obtained, if the Great Giver gives them. Dealing in this true merchandise, one earns the profit of the incomparable Naam. In the midst of poison, the Ambrosial Nectar is revealed; by His Mercy, one drinks it in. O Nanak, praise the True Lord; blessed is the Creator, the Embellisher. || 2 || PAUREE: Those who are permeated by falsehood, do not love the Truth. If someone speaks the Truth, falsehood is burnt away. The false are satisfied by falsehood, like the crows who eat manure. When the Lord grants His Grace, then one meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord. As Gurmukh, worship the

This shabad has nothing to do with keeping kesh.

Singhji,

Try again!

This shabad has nothing to do with keeping kesh.

Who said it does have something to do with hair. This shabad is proving that there was/is only one jot in all the Gurus.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Quote:
'This is the same Guru whose did not include his bani in the (Guru Granth Sahib) (Guru Granth Sahib)Adi Granth (Guru Granth Sahib) even when he had the opportunity to do so. '

What do you mean by this, please explain.

She means the so called "Dasam Granth" was not added to SGGS and neither were any of the "rehitnamas".

Aad ji can speak for herself. I would like to hear her take on what she wrote.

Yes I was referring to the Dasam Granth, which was not added to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj, and neither were the rehitnamas.

As for speaking for myself, my take on what I wrote: It is very difficult for me to believe that any of the Gurus were less than completely wise and compassionate about the suffering that enveloped those around them. Each one, each enlightened one, an embodiment of the same jyote, then would see God within each and every person. Each Guru would also understand how each individual was at his/her own place on the path to inner awareness of Waheguru. None of them, including Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji Maharaj, would cast anyone aside, even a Turk or Mughal, who had sincerely embraced the "dharma." Sometimes our Gurus even took pains to encounter, teach and spiritually embrace their enemy.
We know this to be historically true of the 1rst Guru and 10th Guru. So why would anyone of them cast aside someone who trimmed his beard or his hair?

Sri Guru Gobind Singh declared that Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji was the last and everlasting Satguru. The same Gobind Singh Dev ji did not include his Bani in the Adi Granth. What does that tell you?

I don't want to get lost on a tangent about his perfect humility -- someone is going to say that a great warrior, political leader and poet could not be humble. His actions tell me he was humble. His understanding of the concept of a just war tells me he was dispassionate and put principle above appearances. His resolve in the face of sacrifice - first of the gruesome martyrdom of his father and then of his children and his mother - tell me that his face was always turned toward God. In other words, the Guru was always larger than the pettiness of life.

So now -- you did not answer my other questions Singh veerji. But here are two more. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Dev ji -- described above -- why do you think he "valued" keeping kesh (actually this rehat was formulated by someone else, a close associate) -- but why? Was it because God lives in every hair? Or, was it for a completely different reason?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Who said it does have something to do with hair. This shabad is proving that there was/is only one jot in all the Gurus.

The thread is about Hair. Nobody was arguing about one jyote in all the Gurus. How did you make the diagnosis that we were confused about that?

The thread is about Hair. Nobody was arguing about one jyote in all the Gurus. How did you make the diagnosis that we were confused about that?

The shabad proves that there is only one jot in all the Gurus.(the jot meaning God himself was/is present in them and only one soul that was/is in Guru Nanak Dev ji to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.) Meaning Guru Gobind Singh Sahib jis Hukam for all his Sikh, was/is must keep hair uncut and same goes for all the other Gurus. Then this means all the Gurus must have kept there hair uncut and have the same Hukam none different from Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji's. They adviced there Sikhs to keep it uncut and also kept it uncut themselves.

In an uncertain world and turbulent life, man seeks stability and enlightenment to make sense of the complexities, mysteries and confusion prevalent in his life and the world. Tradition and culture came into being. A set doctrine for all to follow in societies and social circles. This sets our societal expectations of each member of the religion or race and all abide by the laid down statutes.

The maintaining of tresses is traditional in all cultures especially amongst women. The cutting of hair was the mark of a woman set apart or fallen from grace. With transmigration and multiculturalism we strive to hold onto to a fine and noble culture that breeds wise and strong sons and daughters. In witnessing western nations and races shedding all, tradition and social mores in pursuit of emancipation or in the cause of freedom, we find they have gained nothing, rather have increased in moral fibre, and character. High rates of disease and dysfunction are symptoms of a lack and absence of culture and pastoral guidance.

The cutting of hair is not life threatening, but it poses a major change from the path determined by the Guru’s. On foreign shores and in distant lands all strive to assimilate into the traditions of the host nation and maintain the inherent doctrine. Alas the western nations bemoan a lack of identity in the false cause of globalisation. It then becomes a matter of nurturing and indoctrination. Some are blessed with offspring who heed parental advice and others less so.

Cutting hair is not in any way essential, although girls living in these times prefer easy maintenance and being part of the society they live within, this is a poor excuse. Integration into a workplace culture and adopting customary dress and hair fashion at home and amongst family seems the favoured approach.

A critique:

Freedom brings with it the burden of voluntary association; identity is only missing in those who chose not to make one. It is usually missing, in those who enjoy discussing how salsa is overtaking ketchup as the number-one national condiment. But authentic identity is also missing in people who blindly fall victim to legalism.

The inevitable formation of ‘social contracts’ holds together the “state of nature” between men, albeit at times, it is unpleasant, but it is necessary. The larger and more encompassing the social contract… the weaker it is in creating its own self-identity…nevertheless the larger the social contract the more diversity it attracts, the larger the collective conscious, the more peace/culture we share. Promoting cultural homogeny for the argument that it creates identity is man's greatest transgression against culture. (the greatest threat)

On a lighter note, I sternly believe that resolve, a force that creates the ‘human spirit’, naturally yearns to celebrate diversity and promote acceptance. Despite the stockpiles of evidence to the contrary (as being discussed on this page), what is often overlooked is the manner in which culture diverges to create variety and separate collective consciousness/identity with relative tolerance. In an artistic and endless process cultural diversity continues its march and expansion (around the world).

Let us not forget, that it is freedom that produces men of substance and it is freedom that produces men of disgust. By accepting this freedom humanity can live by conviction rather than indoctrination (the authentic life with authentic identity). It is through this freedom (or illusion of freedom, as some would say) we live happier today…take it or fill freedom with negative connotations…you do so at the peril of effecting the natural order in which humanity resides.

The constant pessimist beats at the door and tells us that culture and tradition are no more with globalization…an antiquated and well professed belief from the majority of non-evolutionary thinkers that will have you believe that culture was not designed to be warped, destroyed and rebuilt. (these conservative attitudes ferment the belief that humanity has learnt all its lessons in the past, which prevents them to denote any relevance or importance to the future. They become hopeless nihilists as their faith in existentialist values diminishes.)

They may disengage
They may retreat to asceticism.
They may grow their hair, they may shave it
However, they always start replacing the word ‘innocence’ with ‘ignorance’; to feed their own egos.

PS: I refuse this pessimism

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Singh veerji

The jyot isn't 3 dimensional. Hair is 3 dimensional. Jyot doesn't occupy space and time. Hair does occupy space and time. Jyot isn't maya. Hair is maya. Your answer surprises me.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Hair is not maya, you, yourself make it maya.>>

:happy:

Singh ji

what an answer !!!

are my nails MAYA?

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
I have noted man self absorbed and focused upon the Spirit within, or man merged into global diversity unified as one is akin, a par of equanimity. Both require a dedication and for the mind and spirit to look upon God will as its own will, or the will of mankind unified as one will. Individuation in existentialism is and then is not. The inability to offer a definitive of individualism purely for the sake a misconceived desire or need to appear unique or different is a phase some pass through.

What is culture, but a predefined set of values as a guiding measure and rule for all to abide by toward societal unity and cohesion. Subversives fight against what they refer to as constraints* only to prostrate themselves at the altar of a vicariously deceptive media or some newly formed faddish group promising so called emancipation. Life is a path of personal progressive maturity, gaining understanding and the ability to, at the very least, coexist within families, societies and communities. Demands of an underclass unable or unwilling in their contentiousness to abide by morals and modes of courtesy and etiquette, being indulged by an incompetent media and state rather than told to gain a little sense and maturity. Rights and command are gained by personal endeavour yet we live in times when they are vociferously demanded and given, causing an alarming disparity in society, whereby the virtuous sow and suffer, whilst boorish wrongoers reap and rant ceaselesly ...

The question arise, How do we know all the Guru's kept there hair?

Guru ji has advised his Sikhs to keep hair and so the Gurus lead by example right from the first Guru, Guru Nanak Dev ji. The Gurus always lead by example and this was also shown when Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji took amrit from the Panj Pyare. Whatever the case the Gurus always lead by example. When Bab Budha ji passed away Guru Hargobind gave his shoulder to the bier showing the Humility that existed in the Gurus. Furthermore, when Guru Arjan Dev ji was put on the hot plate he also lead my example showing us how much love toward the Lord he had and we too should love and devote our lives for the Lord in the same way. God's will is what the Gurus lived by and they advised us in the same way to keep hair along with other teachings. Its well understood that hair is sacred in Sikhi and it should be kept as God has made it, otherwise Guru Gobind Sahib ji would have given the Khalsa Panth 4 Kakkar and his Hukam for the Sikh would have not included - Sikh must keep hair. Also hair has more to do than just identity because if it didnt then Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji would have just said wear a pagg and the 4 Kakkar and still the Khalsa Panth will be distinctive and same goes for the Sikh they would just wear the pagg and look distinctive. But that is not the case he advised his Sikhs to keep hair because of identity and spirituality.

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Read what I wrote above it examples this one line that you cannot understand alone.
Read my analysis on the shabad before and after.

Will post again for everyone's convenience.
Originally Posted by BhagatSingh
ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ
कबीर प्रीति इक सिउ कीए आन दुबिधा जाइ ॥
Kabīr parīṯ ik si*o kī*ė ān ḏubiḏẖā jā*ė.
ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥੨੫॥
[Kabeer says when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.
Then Kabeer goes on to give an example of such duality and alienation.]

भावै लांबे केस करु भावै घररि मुडाइ ॥२५॥
Bẖāvai lāʼnbė kės kar bẖāvai gẖarar mudā*ė. ||25||
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

And there you go, its simple, if you are in love with god, the duality and alienation on your mind such as keeping long hair or short hair, depart.
Somone else may come along as say it differently but that is the meaning.

[You wanted to look at shabads before and after, so here they are.]

Before that:
कबीर ता सिउ प्रीति करि जा को ठाकुरु रामु ॥
Kabīr ṯā si*o parīṯ kar jā ko ṯẖākur rām.
Kabeer, be in love with only that one, whose Master is the Lord.ਪੰਡਿਤ ਰਾਜੇ ਭੂਪਤੀ ਆਵਹਿ ਕਉਨੇ ਕਾਮ ॥੨੪॥
पंडित राजे भूपती आवहि कउने काम ॥२४॥
Pandiṯ rājė bẖūpṯī āvahi ka*unė kām. ||24||
The Pandits, the religious scholars, kings and landlords - what good is love for them? ||24||

After that:

ਕਬੀਰ ਜਗੁ ਕਾਜਲ ਕੀ ਕੋਠਰੀ ਅੰਧ ਪਰੇ ਤਿਸ ਮਾਹਿ
कबीर जगु काजल की कोठरी अंध परे तिस माहि ॥
Kabīr jag kājal kī koṯẖrī anḏẖ parė ṯis māhi.
Kabeer, the world is a room filled with black soot; the blind fall into its trap.
ਹਉ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਤਿਨ ਕਉ ਪੈਸਿ ਜੁ ਨੀਕਸਿ ਜਾਹਿ ॥੨੬॥
हउ बलिहारी तिन कउ पैसि जु नीकसि जाहि ॥२६॥
Ha*o balihārī ṯin ka*o pais jo nīkas jāhi. ||26||
I am a sacrifice to those who are thrown in, and still escape. ||26||

He teaches good things but they are not related to what we are discussing.
First he says be in love, and gives example of what NOT be in love with. [24]
Then he says that when you are in love, things like long and short hair don't matter. [25]
Then he goes onto to say how the blind(the ones who are not in love), fall into the trap of maya, duality and alienation
He then says,"
I am a sacrifice to those who are thrown in, and still escape. " [he praises them] [26]

Thank you for your opinion Bhagat ji. Your opinion clearly shows you do not understand how the Amrit ceremony works and how it is done.

where are you getting this from? I never said anything about how its done. how it works is a whole chapter on its own.

But thank you for your opinion I had a fun time reading the fairy tale theories you come up with.
Well, they are never as good as your "fairy tale theories". :)

Read that shabad over and over and over and over and over again until you actually read, understand and apply the first line of the shabad that you presented, here is the line again.
Try following your own advice. By reading half a shabad the full shabad cannot be understood. And before you say I haven't understood the shabads before and after," Read my analysis on the shabad before and after. "

And please don’t tell me to read the shabad over and over again for I understand duality has not departed from me and know this shabad will be speaking to me only when duality and alienation do depart.
So you are not in love with God?

Ok Guru Gobind Singh ji would have definitely started to keep hair when he got intiated. But that doesn't mean he didn't cut his hair before. And it definitely doesn't mean the other Gurus had uncut hair.
Bhagat ji prove it with facts that Guru ji had an hair cut before he created the Khalsa.
Singh Ji I never said "Guru ji had an hair cut before he created the Khalsa." I said, "But that doesn't mean he didn't cut his hair before."
Do you see a difference?!?

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Love is a sacred spirit of honour. Our first love is for The Waheguru, and then for our earthly creators, our parents. To honour ones parents is our first and primal duty. It is said the relationship or bond between God and his devotee is as the union of spouses. In that it requires dedication based upon an understanding of all attached responsibilities each have to one another and to society. Understanding and perfecting this working relationship creates heavenly unions. Selfishness or the inability to perceive the others angst or emotion burden when one is consumed by its need or purpose creates anger, resentment and inevitably a closing of the hearts door to the partner. The relationship continues but the spiritual bond is broken.

The issue of hair has arisen because modern Sikhs have a moral dilemma of cultural dualism. A need to retain and honour ones traditional mores whilst integrating with the host nation. One can accord as much respect for the host nation as it holds for its own moral and spiritual welfare. If Sikhs found themselves surrounded by Godless heathen atheists then all the more or allegiance to our traditions remains firm. The cutting of hair is not such a contentious issue. It is one of loyalty to a culture writ by our forebears. ‘Waffa se manzil payenge’ with fidelity to the one, man will gain his Eden. Fidelity, the ability to overcome the need to ingratiate oneself with others in lieu of popularity or heightened esteem is a wrongful stance. To ones conscience and beliefs one must be true. Without a firm fidelity and moral courage mankind falls in danger of becoming as a dog searching for crumbs and token gestures at the door of those he deems as benefactors.

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh ...

Well, they are never as good as your "
fairy tale theories".
clip_image001.gif

Bhagat ji you called taking Amrit ceremony, Khande-di-pahul, a ritual, back this statement up with proof that it is a ritual. Actually don’t even attempt to because you will fail no matter what. You can spend your whole life trying to prove it is a ritual and you will still fail. But go ahead and give it a shot.

What does it mean to be in love with God?

Bhagat ji, you did not answer my question that I asked you in post 95. Here’s the question again and look back to post 95 to read the Gurbani.

Question: Read the Gurbani that I have posted below then tell me if one does not need the Guru.?

It has already been proven that a Sikh must keep hair. So please tell me what you are trying to prove here?

Well, they are never as good as your "
fairy tale theories".
clip_image001.gif
Bhagat ji you called taking Amrit ceremony, Khande-di-pahul, a ritual, back this statement up with proof that it is a ritual. Actually don’t even attempt to because you will fail no matter what. You can spend your whole life trying to prove it is a ritual and you will still fail. But go ahead and give it a shot.

What does it mean to be in love with God?

Bhagat ji, you did not answer my question that I asked you in post 95. Here’s the question again and look back to post 95 to read the Gurbani.

Question: Read the Gurbani that I have posted below then tell me if one does not need the Guru.?

It has already been proven that a Sikh must keep hair. So please tell me what you are trying to prove here?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM