• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

God's Attributes

elsiebill

SPNer
Sep 26, 2005
is it impossible for people to comprehend god, when no attributes are given to an all knowing single spirit.
All religions have attached attributes to their gods sothat their religion is easier to swallow.
It seems that human kind is unable to accept a god without human characteristics. We have to have saints, angels, inspired people to be able to accept the life force we do not seem to comprehend.
God and religion seem to have a problem. The destinction between the 300 religions is that if you do not believe in the attributes that I invenved you will have no place in the "true" religion.
Maybe that tolerance is to leave all attributes out of it all and realise that life was created but not the man made conceptions.

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Interesting point.

I think you may be onto something. But human nature, being what it is, always tries to fathom these things. I am completely biased but I do think the Sikh Gurus did try and basically describe some attributes of God but went on to say that "it" really is unfathomable in the end.

But this may be a temporary state, as Guru Gobind Singh described our life as being a spark from a larger fire (i.e. God) and that ultimately the spark falls back into the fire or we merge back into the great lifeforce that created us in some form.

Metaphysics. I guess we are all trying to make sense of this ocean of life in our own unique ways.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Fellow friends

both of you have written interesting post.= thanks for that

In sikhism our Great Guide/Guruji made an attemp=t to describe attribute of god but I like the "mool mantar" a lot personally
This is also op=eneing statement of sikh Living Guide/Scripture that is Guru Granth sahib

<> siq nwmu krqw purKu inrBau inrvYru Akwl mUriq AjUnI sYBM gur pRswid ]
ik oNkaar sat naam kartaa purakh nirbh-a-o nirvair akaal moorat ajoonee saibhN gur parsaad.
vwihgurU kyvl iek hY[ s`cw hY aus dw nwm, rcnhwr aus dI ivAkqI Aqy Amr aus dw srUp[ auh infr, kInw-rihq, Ajnmw qy svY-pRkwSvwn hY[ gurW dI dXw duAwrw auh prwpq huMdw hY[
There is but one God. True is His Name, creative His personality and immortal His form. He is without fear sans enmity, unborn and self-illumined. By the Guru's grace He is obtained.

more more detail disscusion can try this.=.=.=.=.=.=

Mool Mantar - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Respected Saadh Sangat Ji,

And Guru Ji's grace is obtained by living truthfully and faithfully the way Guru Ji is Prescribing.

forgive me please

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
The attributes are perfectly quantified and defined by blessed beings having gained God Consciousness. God* is a powerful spiritual energy manifesting in all virtue, omniscient wisdom, pure love, peacebility, and an all encompassing person transcending all races, classes, creeds, and religious divisions and barriers. The Adi Granth and mool mantra are odes to the attributes of The Supreme Soul. It is mans personal task to define his God, yet mankind are aware of the attributes of The Great Creator of the Cosmos.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM