• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

God Being Nirgun And Sargun

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
After reading the last several comments in the thread I am still left with this question. Why do we as humans stubbornly strive to define the Divine using the constructs of human intelligence? In other words, explain something that is far greater than all of creation combined in naturalistic terms? Naturally we describe our personal experiences using very personal labels of language and thought -- what else can a human do? But to describe the experience should not be confused with finding the reality.

Voltaire said, If God did not exist then man would have created Him. That is what we are doing when we try to grasp His consciousness in terms of our rational consciousness. That is what we are doing when we use scientific and rational constructs to understand. Should we not rather admit how feeble we are and depend on His reach to bring us home?

The Hebrew and Christian Bibles say that God created us in His own image and likeness. But what we instead do is create God in our own likeness one faith at a time.

No doubt that Gurbani will mean different things to each of us at each level of our experience. But that is precisely the point. The meanings we create are created by a camel-like mind, beautiful camel-like minds says Guru Nanak Dev ji, but our minds are always wandering aimlessly. Our experiences are woefully fallible. Our science is inadequate. Our reason is deficient.

So, I cannot say that each and every understanding suffices. It is too easy to remain stuck in the creations of the camel-like mind, our own intellect. This is not dogmatism but an admission that there work to do, and more to the journey.

ਮੁਕਾਮੁ ਤਾ ਪਰੁ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਲੋਕ ॥੧॥
mukaam thaa par jaaneeai jaa rehai nihachal lok ||1||
This would be known as a lasting place of rest, only if they were to remain stable and unchanging. ||1||

ਦੁਨੀਆ ਕੈਸਿ ਮੁਕਾਮੇ ॥
dhuneeaa kais mukaamae ||
What sort of a resting place is this world?

ਕਰਿ ਸਿਦਕੁ ਕਰਣੀ ਖਰਚੁ ਬਾਧਹੁ ਲਾਗਿ ਰਹੁ ਨਾਮੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
kar sidhak karanee kharach baadhhahu laag rahu naamae ||1|| rehaao ||
Doing deeds of faith, pack up the supplies for your journey, and remain committed to the Name. ||1||Pause||

ਜੋਗੀ ਤ ਆਸਣੁ ਕਰਿ ਬਹੈ ਮੁਲਾ ਬਹੈ ਮੁਕਾਮਿ ॥
jogee th aasan kar behai mulaa behai mukaam ||
The Yogis sit in their Yogic postures, and the Mullahs sit at their resting stations.

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਵਖਾਣਹਿ ਪੋਥੀਆ ਸਿਧ ਬਹਹਿ ਦੇਵ ਸਥਾਨਿ ॥੨॥
panddith vakhaanehi pothheeaa sidhh behehi dhaev sathhaan ||2||
The Hindu Pandits recite from their books, and the Siddhas sit in the temples of their gods. ||2||

ਸੁਰ ਸਿਧ ਗਣ ਗੰਧਰਬ ਮੁਨਿ ਜਨ ਸੇਖ ਪੀਰ ਸਲਾਰ ॥
sur sidhh gan gandhharab mun jan saekh peer salaar ||
The angels, Siddhas, worshippers of Shiva, heavenly musicians, silent sages, Saints, priests, preachers, spiritual teachers and commanders

ਦਰਿ ਕੂਚ ਕੂਚਾ ਕਰਿ ਗਏ ਅਵਰੇ ਭਿ ਚਲਣਹਾਰ ॥੩॥
dhar kooch koochaa kar geae avarae bh chalanehaar ||3||
-each and every one has left, and all others shall depart as well. ||3||

ਸੁਲਤਾਨ ਖਾਨ ਮਲੂਕ ਉਮਰੇ ਗਏ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਕੂਚੁ ॥
sulathaan khaan malook oumarae geae kar kar kooch ||
The sultans and kings, the rich and the mighty, have marched away in succession.

ਘੜੀ ਮੁਹਤਿ ਕਿ ਚਲਣਾ ਦਿਲ ਸਮਝੁ ਤੂੰ ਭਿ ਪਹੂਚੁ ॥੪॥
gharree muhath k chalanaa dhil samajh thoon bh pehooch ||4||
In a moment or two, we shall also depart. O my heart, understand that you must go as well! ||4||

ਸਬਦਾਹ ਮਾਹਿ ਵਖਾਣੀਐ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਤ ਬੂਝੈ ਕੋਇ ॥
sabadhaah maahi vakhaaneeai viralaa th boojhai koe ||
This is described in the Shabads; only a few understand this!

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਵਖਾਣੈ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਮਹੀਅਲਿ ਸੋਇ ॥੫॥
naanak vakhaanai baenathee jal thhal meheeal soe ||5||
Nanak offers this prayer to the One who pervades the water, the land and the air. ||5||

Guru Nanak, Sriraag, Ang 64

The conversation is never futile if it leads to further considerations of Nanak's prayer.

Antonia ji,

Guru Fateh.

I love your thoughts and your inner quest in the post. It is beauitful and quite introspective.

Our Guru urges us through this beautiful Shabad that you have mentioned above to make the best of this life of ours, not by being idle but by being useful to the society, to the strangers and last but not the least, to the near and dear ones.

By holding a hand of those who feel directionless and helping them find it. By offering the shoulder when someone needs a solace. By offering love without expecting anything in return and by loving in such a way that breeds understanding and acceptance within which at times may make us walk on the path fulll of broken glass.

One's life in this world only feels fulfilled when one remains in Chardi Kala against all odds, then only one has passed the Gurmat test of life.

So Antonia ji, may Ik Ong Kaar give you enough strength and courage to stay in Chardi Kala because you know what it means when Guru Amardas says in Anand Sahib,

" Khanneio tikhi, valon niki etei marg janah".

Sikhi is not just a high wire event but Sikhi is a high wire way of life.

Now the question occurs that if Sikhi is a high wire life, which means walking on a tight rope is the only journey a Sikh has, then what about the safety net in case a Sikh tumbles which is natural and this tumbling does not happen only once in our lifetime but many times?

Gurbani says," Mera Satguru rakhvala hoa".

Ik Ong kaar is my safety net so that is why I am able lead this walking on a high wire life.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Antonia ji,

Guru Fateh.

I love your thoughts and your inner quest in the post. It is beauitful and quite introspective.

Our Guru urges us through this beautiful Shabad that you have mentioned above to make the best of this life of ours, not by being idle but by being useful to the society, to the strangers and last but not the least, to the near and dear ones.

By holding a hand of those who feel directionless and helping them find it. By offering the shoulder when someone needs a solace. By offering love without expecting anything in return and by loving in such a way that breeds understanding and acceptance within which at times may make us walk on the path fulll of broken glass.

One's life in this world only feels fulfilled when one remains in Chardi Kala against all odds, then only one has passed the Gurmat test of life.

So Antonia ji, may Ik Ong Kaar give you enough strength and courage to stay in Chardi Kala because you know what it means when Guru Amardas says in Anand Sahib,

" Khanneio tikhi, valon niki etei marg janah".

Sikhi is not just a high wire event but Sikhi is a high wire way of life.

Now the question occurs that if Sikhi is a high wire life, which means walking on a tight rope is the only journey a Sikh has, then what about the safety net in case a Sikh tumbles which is natural and this tumbling does not happen only once in our lifetime but many times?

Gurbani says," Mera Satguru rakhvala hoa".

Ik Ong kaar is my safety net so that is why I am able lead this walking on a high wire life.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Tej ji

There are no failures in His eyes. He created his Creation and rejoices in it. We fail in our own eyes. The message from the eye to mind and the sense that mind makes of it sustains duality and with that the pain and fear of our inadequacy. It is easy to say this, to write it down. Much more difficult to live and act completely in consciousness. Believe me when I say this -- I am an expert at living in duality. Because it is so difficult, it is tempting to resort to constructing theories of His nature and remaining stuck in our intellects. Wish I had a way out, but for now staying close to Gurbani will have to be the means for the journey.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji

If that is all there is to Sikhism then Sikhs are social workers in disguise. Do you really think that the concepts of Sargun and Nirgun excuse Sikhs from being intellectually responsible?
I dont thats all there is to Sikhism, I was speaking about this concept particularly. But in my view, being a Sikh means being a good social worker.
[Social work is a discipline involving the application of social theory and research methods to study and improve the lives of people, groups, and societies. ...]

I think the concept of Sargun/Nirgun allows the intellect to expand. It does not excuse Sikhs from being intellectually responsible. Those who answer things with "God" are excusing themselves from being intellectually responsible.
I think Sargun/Nirgun basically ends the "Is there a God debate?". It satifies both theists and atheists, allowing humanity to move to more important things including being more intellectually responsible, and social work like I mentioned in previous post.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

I don't know about ending the "Is There a God?" debate. It has been going on for thousands of years. It didn't end when Guru Nanak Dev ji talked about nirgun and sargun. It did not end when the ideas of nirgun and sargun were propounded in the Vedas long before Guru Nanak Dev ji. So it will probably continue after we are dead and gone.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Antonia Ji,
Debates happen whenever two sides disagree.
But you're right.
However, I think this concept was never too popular. People want definite answers and this concept doesn't provide that. It is also seemingly contradictory, human mind isn't fit for that.
This is why it allows intellectual thought, whereas, a definite answer like "This is God and this is hwo he is." doesn't.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I have a few thoughts reading this. They may or may not be relevant. They are personal.

After the events of November 1984, which to me included the murder of several family members, I failed the chardi kala test pretty badly. For a bit over 20 years, I lived life in a fog. I fled family and sangat. I broke most of the taboos of a Khalsa. I threw away all of my kakkars. To outsiders it looked like I did OK. I held jobs, supported myself, got remarried, did all that was expected of me and no one guessed that I was in a pretty deep state of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). But it was all very mechanical.

Eventually, slowly, I began to awaken just a bit, just enough to see how crazy I had become. Just enough to remember about something called "chardi kala." Just enough to get homesick for my home among the Sikhs, my sisters and brothers.

Then I had a major stroke and died. I can't say much about that except that I learned two things: Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj (Guru Papa Ji) does not easily give up on his children and that each of us has inside an infinite well of this chardi kala stuff, sometimes buried deeply and seemingly unaccessable, and there. Personally, I believe it is a gift given when we are blessed with Amrit and which we cannot lose.

From this long and difficult exile and an equally difficult return, I have learned - just for myself - that these intellectual debates/arguments/discussions are very interesting, and unproductive. Perhaps it is better for me to leave threm to those Singhnis and Singhs who are more advanced than I.

The only thing of any value I can add to this discussion - I hope it is of value to someone - is that when my chardi kala was unavailable to me, I fell and fell and fell and was gently and lovingly caught and gently and lovingly nursed back to spiritual health and given the resources to regain much of my physical health as well. I was caught and restored and have become a better person than I could have become otherwise. In an odd way, I must be grateful to Akaal Purakh for what I experienced in November 1984 and after because I can see growth through this that I doubt could have happened any other way.

I doubt this has much to do with nirgun/sargun, and I wanted to say it anyway.

Regarding nirgun/sargun, may I suggest that "panentheism" might be relevant. Maybe.

Chardi kala to all! :ice:

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
i think this is a very complex suject to understand God our creator with 5 senses.
krqy imq nw jwny kIAw[
ipqw jnm ik jwnY pUq[
our 5 senses are so limited that they pick up only 10% of data from the universe. This creation itself is illusion it is Maya.
whatever our senses will pick up will be illusionary data. it is not the truth.
God has given 6th sense which is our intution which we hardly use as our mind talks us out of it. our mind does not like to be subordinate. it wants to controll. Ego in our mind drives our body in which ever direction it wants us to take.
Understanding God's Nirgun Saroop or what God was before creating the universe seems very difficult for meto comprehend an ordinary mortal like me. I do not have superconsciousness as our Guruji's had in which state they wrote Gurbani. therefore for me to comment on Gurbani also seems to be a very difficult task
However i enjoy God's creation and also the unseen and Formless God. i may not be able to define completely what is Nirgurn saroop but i know this is aboe 3 gunas of Maya. Although God residss in His creation He is nirlep un attached and above Maya.
i enjoy God's Nirgun Saroop when i consider that when i was a sperm of my father & ova of my mother which are both half the seeds , God united two half seeds & made them fertile and it became a whole seed as they contain 23 pairs of chromosomes.
it is God who ordered their conception, it is that formless God who crafted my body & your body in 9 months in my mothers uterus. i love Him because He is the first cause of my creation.
i love Him when i wonder How He has filled one seed with the potential of producing millinons of seeds from one tiny seed. in one seed of a mango How many orchards of mango He has placed only He knows & He has made us to know that . How abundant is every thing for us to enjoy.
That is why i do not count the trees or go into the history How the seed was first created. whether it was the fruit first of the seed first. whether it was the egg first or the chicken first. let intelectuals work that out. i am not an intelectual. i am an ordinary man with ordinary intelligence. qUM smrQ vfw myrI mq QoVI rwmu]
Mahanbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

NIrgun/Sargunhas been a constant topic in theology from ancient times. It continues as a constant in all religions.

There was a Catholic mystic, Bonaventure, a Franciscan, who in trying to describe these ideas used the term "Footprints of God." He taught that the Divine footprints were everywhere. This was back in possibly the 12th or 13th Century CE. Bonaventure was accused of heresy in the Catholic Church. Eventually he was exonerated. But back then it was a hot topic. I think it may still be.

So it may not be as popular as a discussion of our favorite rock musicians. For the small group who find it interesting, we have forums like SPN who encourage discussions like this.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Mai ji

You have stated in the context of your own powerful story these words:
From this long and difficult exile and an equally difficult return, I have learned - just for myself - that these intellectual debates/arguments/discussions are very interesting, and unproductive. Perhaps it is better for me to leave threm to those Singhnis and Singhs who are more advanced than I.

But if we take your recommendation to heart, then we should close down all religious forums and walk away from all discussions of religion. Or should we only talk about those aspects of a religion that are not spiritual or theological because they are more productive? Why are these discussions "unproductive?" If they are unproductive then why do they continue? Could it be that for some people they nourish a part of the psyche and soul that yearns to contemplate something that is more vast than creation itself? Why do nitnem or sehaj path if we have not thought seriously about the words of our Gurus?

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
I have a few thoughts reading this. They may or may not be relevant. They are personal.

After the events of November 1984, which to me included the murder of several family members, I failed the chardi kala test pretty badly. For a bit over 20 years, I lived life in a fog. I fled family and sangat. I broke most of the taboos of a Khalsa. I threw away all of my kakkars. To outsiders it looked like I did OK. I held jobs, supported myself, got remarried, did all that was expected of me and no one guessed that I was in a pretty deep state of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). But it was all very mechanical.

Eventually, slowly, I began to awaken just a bit, just enough to see how crazy I had become. Just enough to remember about something called "chardi kala." Just enough to get homesick for my home among the Sikhs, my sisters and brothers.

Then I had a major stroke and died. I can't say much about that except that I learned two things: Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj (Guru Papa Ji) does not easily give up on his children and that each of us has inside an infinite well of this chardi kala stuff, sometimes buried deeply and seemingly unaccessable, and there. Personally, I believe it is a gift given when we are blessed with Amrit and which we cannot lose.

The only thing of any value I can add to this discussion - I hope it is of value to someone - is that when my chardi kala was unavailable to me, I fell and fell and fell and was gently and lovingly caught and gently and lovingly nursed back to spiritual health and given the resources to regain much of my physical health as well. I was caught and restored and have become a better person than I could have become otherwise. In an odd way, I must be grateful to Akaal Purakh for what I experienced in November 1984 and after because I can see growth through this that I doubt could have happened any other way.

I doubt this has much to do with nirgun/sargun, and I wanted to say it anyway.

Regarding nirgun/sargun, may I suggest that "panentheism" might be relevant. Maybe.

Chardi kala to all! :ice:

thanks mai ji
what a beautiful discription of happened to you.
you have infused Chardi Kala in each one of us.
This Chardi Kala is every thing.
Recently i got heart attack but this Chardi Kala has made me more healitier than i was before. physically i still have Angina pain every day with all the medication but i do not suffer. spirtually i feel i am on top of the world.
This is grace of Waheguruji. Our Faith in Him makes us strong & keeps us in Chardi Kala.
Thanks for writting that note. it was like a fresh air.
Regard
Mahanbir Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tej ji

There are no failures in His eyes. He created his Creation and rejoices in it. We fail in our own eyes. The message from the eye to mind and the sense that mind makes of it sustains duality and with that the pain and fear of our inadequacy. It is easy to say this, to write it down. Much more difficult to live and act completely in consciousness. Believe me when I say this -- I am an expert at living in duality. Because it is so difficult, it is tempting to resort to constructing theories of His nature and remaining stuck in our intellects. Wish I had a way out, but for now staying close to Gurbani will have to be the means for the journey.

Antonia ji,

Guru Fateh.

Perhaps I was not able to express myself properly and I do apologise for that. Tumbles are not failures. They only show that we are not perfect and falling down is part of the learning process. It is not how often we fall but how quickly we get up, dust off and carry on which strengthens the spirit of Chardi Kala within. And the spirit of Chardi Kala is with how much dignity we are able to wear the robe of sadness and suffering when we are being tested on every turn of our lives. Thanks to Gurbani which not only gives birth to this dignity but also nurtures it.

Tejwant Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
"There are no failures in His eyes. He created his Creation and rejoices in it. We fail in our own eyes. The message from the eye to mind and the sense that mind makes of it sustains duality and with that the pain and fear of our inadequacy. It is easy to say this, to write it down. Much more difficult to live and act completely in consciousness. Believe me when I say this -- I am an expert at living in duality. Because it is so difficult, it is tempting to resort to constructing theories of His nature and remaining stuck in our intellects. Wish I had a way out, but for now staying close to Gurbani will have to be the means for the journey(quote aad0002 Ji)

aad Bhain Jio
Every word of your quote is applicable to many and I am one of them, it is singing loud into my ears that regardless I remain in denial, truth keeps smiling at me, reading them is like breathing the idea in which actually I need. Yes only Gurbani connects to the truth you have just expressed. Many thanks :)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Antonia ji, you said;

But if we take your recommendation to heart, then we should close down all religious forums and walk away from all discussions of religion. Or should we only talk about those aspects of a religion that are not spiritual or theological because they are more productive? Why are these discussions "unproductive?" If they are unproductive then why do they continue? Could it be that for some people they nourish a part of the psyche and soul that yearns to contemplate something that is more vast than creation itself? Why do nitnem or sehaj path if we have not thought seriously about the words of our Gurus?

I think you overlooked some key words in what I wrote
just for myself

I mean that most sincerely. I encourage you to delve deeply into these meanings and share with me and the rest of us the jewels you find there. I stand in awe of those whose minds can comprehend these concepts. I would encourage these spiritual/intellectual discussions for those who can profit/learn/grow from them. I will, of course, keep reading them. (I have an inquiring mind, after all.) I have learned some things are productive for me right now and some are not. Just for myself, for now - this may change in the future as I grow, I get more out of naam-jap and the like than I do from these discussions. Just for myself.

I am, however, I'm afraid, enamoured with my own words and simply do not resist the impulse to write them.

Love and chardi kala to all! :ice: (That's fat-free frozen yogurt, not creamy dreamy ice cream, btw.)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Dearest Antonia ji,

And please let me add apropos your earlier comment

I fall down 20 times a day so I guess.​

Is that all? Anyway falling down doesn't matter. What matters is that you have learned to get back up, brush yourself off, look at what each fall can teach you, then, with a smile on your face and love in your heart skipped off to the next stumble. Be gentle with yourself, please. (Maya won't be.)​

Ain't life grand!​

Chardi kala! Again and always! :ice:​

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: