• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sufism From The Triple Flame

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

I have been reading The Triple Flame by Bawa Muhaiyaddeen. I guess because I'm interacting so much with Sikhs and learning about Sikhi, I suddenly see how Bawa ji says many things the same way a Sikh would. In the books, they usually refer to these as "Tamil" terms, but they seem to go beyond that. They typically relate to the dharma paths.

For instance:

When we say God, we mean a Being who has neither wife nor child. He has no birth. He has no end. He cannot be destroyed. He has neither beginning nor end.* He is a precious supreme jothi, a light, a power of might and radiant light, a Being with no family ties, a Being who has no temple or church. (page 16, The Triple Flame, Bawa Muhaiyaddeen)

Part of that paragraph is Mul Mantar! Did anyone notice that? Also Bawa refers to an-Nur (Divine Light in Arabic) as Jothi. Again a Sikh term for the Divine. I suspect what is termed Tamil may be where I will keep finding these surprises. Does anyone know if there is a Sikh presence in Sri Lanka? That is where he was from.

I asked earlier for a sign regarding how my spiritual path should go. I have to say I still feel pulled in two directions, but I hope with enough trust in the Divine, it will all unfold as the Beloved wills it to. Perhaps now I am putting down a foundation. I sense that is why I must trust the process and just keep gathering the Light from the sources that speak the One Truth like this.

Please don't feel I'm trying to turn people Sufi or anything. Its not that at all. Bawa ji's teachings are like this. They speak on many levels and I feel they are teaching me as much about Sikhi right now as they are about Sufism. Bawa was/is like that. I am hoping others will be able to offer input on Bawa's teachings from the Sikh perspective.

Nam Jiwan :tablakudi:

Aug 28, 2010
If one really gives a thought of FLAME as common message too found in other
faiths then one should realise that any FLAME is Genderfree.Therefore any such FLAME should not be refered as HE or SHE.

In Gurbanee it is all about this FLAME with its complete description in terms of Word GuRu/GuR and such description is not available in any other scriptures of the world.

One should try to grasp this unique concept as envisaged in SGGS ..

Prakash.S.Bagga

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Would you elaborate? How do you experience it as intuitive? I do also, but I don't limit the Divine by saying something is or isn't God's way. I know many ppl who have gotten very clear signs. I'm typically not one of them though. mundahug

Nam Jiwan

The Spiritual path is intuitive so don't look for signs.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
If one really gives a thought of FLAME as common message too found in other
faiths then one should realise that any FLAME is Genderfree.Therefore any such FLAME should not be refered as HE or SHE.
Are you using Flame to represent Divine Light? I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

In Gurbanee it is all about this FLAME with its complete description in terms of Word GuRu/GuR and such description is not available in any other scriptures of the world.
I agree that no other scripture (I don't think of Guru Granth Sahib as a Scripture, but as a Living Light, so to speak). Is that what you mean also?

I think it is always important to be sensitive to people of other religions because Sikhi sees all religious paths as valid. What you see in Guru Granth Sahib, others might see in the Quran or Bible or Zohar or Bhagavad Gita. It doesn't make Guru Granth Sahib less worthy; it just acknowledges others who walk different paths respectfully. I may not have even understood you correctly.

One should try to grasp this unique concept as envisaged in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ..

True, but there is so much spiritual nourishment in the world. I am deeply nourished by Rumi, for example.

Aug 28, 2010
Are you using Flame to represent Divine Light? I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

I agree that no other scripture (I don't think of Guru Granth Sahib as a Scripture, but as a Living Light, so to speak). Is that what you mean also?

I think it is always important to be sensitive to people of other religions because Sikhi sees all religious paths as valid. What you see in Guru Granth Sahib, others might see in the Quran or Bible or Zohar or Bhagavad Gita. It doesn't make Guru Granth Sahib less worthy; it just acknowledges others who walk different paths respectfully. I may not have even understood you correctly.

Yes It is THE DIVINE LIGHT being refered as TRIPLE FLAME.I think TRIPLE FLAME referes to the FLAME which is uniformly expanded in THree Loks
and in Gurbanee this is properly refered as TRIBHAVAN JOTi.

In my opinion there are effective and visible effects of THIS DIVINE LIGHT in almost every religion.But Gurbanee takes us beyond these effects and in domain where one can connect oneself with this PURE and PERFECT
DIVINE LIGHT as SINGLE WAVE OF THE WORD GuROO as source of this
DIVINE LIGHT.

There are /can be number of paths to connect with this DIVINE LIGHT.The importance is thru which path one is graced is predestined.

Ultimately every incidence of ones life is PRE-SET.One should understand this with open mind.

Prakash.S.Bagga

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Yes It is THE DIVINE LIGHT being refered as TRIPLE FLAME.
I
I didn't know that. Interesting! 0:)

think TRIPLE FLAME referes to the FLAME which is uniformly expanded in THree Loks
and in Gurbanee this is properly refered as TRIBHAVAN JOTi.
What is "Three Loks" & "Tribhavan Joti"? Would love to know more. I didn't get any helpful results with I googled it.

In my opinion there are effective and visible effects of THIS DIVINE LIGHT in almost every religion.
After all, the Light is revealing itself. That's my perspective, at least.

But Gurbanee takes us beyond these effects and in domain where one can connect oneself with this PURE and PERFECT
DIVINE LIGHT as SINGLE WAVE OF THE WORD GuROO as source of this
DIVINE LIGHT.
I agree its very pure. I wonder if each religion reflects a certain aspect of the Light for the people's needs. I think Islam is most complex and seems to be a testing of the will, but Guru Granth Sahib simplifies it, but that is only on the surface. Underneath it all, Guru Granth Sahib is filled with an infinite Ocean.

There are /can be number of paths to connect with this DIVINE LIGHT.The importance is thru which path one is graced is predestined.
I think a lot about the way predestiny & free will seem impossible to blend, but I suspect its easy for the Divine. We probably miss a lot of what is happening "behind the scenes" so to speak. And I have a feeling free will is part of our destiny. In the Light, a different scene must be happening. What appears to be happening on earth, but the Light world is doing something completely different with it. Wahe!Guru!

Nam Jiwan :happymunda:

Aug 28, 2010
I fully appreciate the views that "Predestiny and Free will seem imossible to blend"
In fact one should realise it is under the influence of FREEWILL one is unable to reakise ones TRUE SELF.
The free will is the Basic cause of all confusions and is nothing but HAUME.
One should see what change can take place the moment one makes his FREE WILL
Zero.
When FREE WILL becomes Zero it is only the Predestiny operating and that the real will of TRIPLE FLAME.

Prakash.S.Bagga

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
_/|\_ Sat Nam

Prakash ji and SPN ji

In fact one should realise it is under the influence of FREEWILL one is unable to reakise ones TRUE SELF.

So does the ability to sacrifice free will lead to fulfilling our True destiny? Or is overcoming the free will that is destiny itself? Is the destiny of each of us to overcome free will? Or is there more than that?

Nam Jiwan animatedkhanda1

Aug 28, 2010
_/|\_ Sat Nam

Prakash ji and SPN ji

So does the ability to sacrifice free will lead to fulfilling our True destiny? Or is overcoming the free will that is destiny itself? Is the destiny of each of us to overcome free will? Or is there more than that?

Nam Jiwan animatedkhanda1
From Gurbanee one learns that there is no personal ability to sacrifice FREE WILL.
It is the Grace of GuRu only that can make any one to get rid from the influence of FREE WILL.
It is the very first task SatiGuRu does for anyone for paving the clear way for the SABADu to get seeded within the heart.From here is the start of actual and real spiritual journey for enjoying the union with TRIPLE FLAME.
Prakash.s.Bagga

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Prakash ji

From Gurbanee one learns that there is no personal ability to sacrifice FREE WILL. It is the Grace of GuRu only that can make any one to get rid from the influence of FREE WILL.

You opened my eyes to this. I kept blaming myself for my attachment to having things go my own way. Now I see why Nanak prays for the grace of Guru. Thank You!

Could you point me to parts of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib that says this most clearly? It is written on almost page though, isn't it?

Nam Jiwan :)

Aug 28, 2010
Sat Nam _/|\_

Prakash ji

You opened my eyes to this. I kept blaming myself for my attachment to having things go my own way. Now I see why Nanak prays for the grace of Guru. Thank You!

Could you point me to parts of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib that says this most clearly? It is written on almost page though, isn't it?

Nam Jiwan :)

There are several Quotes in Gurbanee conveying the same message.
You may have perusal reading of this Sabad as
ਗਉੜੀ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਨਹ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਮਨਮਤਿ ਝੂਠੀ ਸਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਸਗਲ ਬਿਗੂਤੇ ਭਾਵੈ ਦੋਇ ॥ ਸੋ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਧੁਰਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਐਸਾ ਜਗੁ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਜੂਆਰੀ ॥ ਸਭਿ ਸੁਖ ਮਾਗੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਬਿਸਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਅਦਿਸਟੁ ਦਿਸੈ ਤਾ ਕਹਿਆ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੇਖੇ ਕਹਣਾ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੀਸੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਸੇਵਾ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਏਕ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥੨॥ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਾਂਗਤ ਦੁਖੁ ਆਗਲ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਸਗਲ ਵਿਕਾਰੀ ਹਾਰੁ ਪਰੋਇ ॥ ਏਕ ਬਿਨਾ ਝੂਠੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਤਾ ਦੇਖੈ ਸੋਇ ॥੩॥ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਬੁਝਾਏ ॥ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਏ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਵਸਾਏ ॥ ਸਾਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਏ ॥੪॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 222}
ਤਨ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਚੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਭਾਉ ॥ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਨਿਜ ਠਾਉ ॥ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਰਾਇਣ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਰਾਉ ॥ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਤਾ ਬੂਝੈ ਨਾਉ ॥੫॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਸਰਬ ਜੰਜਾਲਾ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਕੁਚੀਲ ਕੁਛਿਤ ਬਿਕਰਾਲਾ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੇ ਚੂਕੈ ਜੰਜਾਲਾ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਲਾ ॥੬॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਏਕ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਏ ॥ ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਾਸੈ ਸਾਚਿ ਸਮਾਏ ॥ ਜੰਮਣੁ ਮਰਣਾ ਠਾਕਿ ਰਹਾਏ ॥ ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਇਹ ਮਤਿ ਪਾਏ ॥੭॥ ਕਥਨੀ ਕਥਉ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਓਰੁ ॥ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਛਿ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਨਾਹੀ ਦਰੁ ਹੋਰੁ ॥ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਭਾਣੈ ਤਿਸੈ ਰਜਾਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਕਹੈ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥੮॥੪॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 222-223

Prakash.S.Bagga

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM