• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

From Bahai To Sikhism

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
At the risk of being blunt, it takes more to be a Sikh than outward appearances, or even constant presence at a Gurdwara, none of these people this wonderful lady interacted with were Sikhs.

How can you change this? by following the teachings of Guru Nanakji, specifically, treating the entire human race as equal, giving love to all, and staying clear of superstition and ritual.

I find it hard to accept such behaviour from people that are supposed to be ambassadors of Sikhism.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Harry ji, is your criticism of Dr Yogi Kaur's story, or of the so-called Sikhs she interacted with?

I'm sorry to say, I can relate to a lot of what she says in her story. Sikhi is a lonesome road. But that's ok, true sangat is between Waheguru ji and the Sikh. The company of all the Saints one needs is squarely within Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

For the old timers: I wonder where Lionchild is today...?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
I guess I need to consider myself lucky because here in Mexico City ( Gurdwara of Tecemachalco) The hukamnama is given in Punjabi, English and Spanish. The comunity is truly, warm, inviting and helpful. We have been welcomed into the homes of many members.
A point about learning Punjabi. While it's always best to read anything written, prose, poetry, holy scriptures etc. in the original language It's better to read a translation than not read at all. I understand that Guru Nanak intention in writing in Punjabi , rather than Sanskrit, was so that everyone could understand. If he were alive today he may have written in English so his message would reach the most people possible.:singhbhangra:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think there is more to Sikhi than counting the number of things you have to do as a Sikh on your fingers. It is more about wisdom.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥
Siree Raag, Third Mehl:

ਸੁਣਿ ਸੁਣਿ ਕਾਮ ਗਹੇਲੀਏ ਕਿਆ ਚਲਹਿ ਬਾਹ ਲੁਡਾਇ ॥
Listen, listen, O soul-bride: you are overtaken by sexual desire-why do you walk like that, swinging your arms in joy?

ਆਪਣਾ ਪਿਰੁ ਨ ਪਛਾਣਹੀ ਕਿਆ ਮੁਹੁ ਦੇਸਹਿ ਜਾਇ ॥
You do not recognize your own Husband Lord! When you go to Him, what face will you show Him?

ਜਿਨੀ ਸਖੀ ਕੰਤੁ ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ਹਉ ਤਿਨ ਕੈ ਲਾਗਉ ਪਾਇ ॥
I touch the feet of my sister soul-brides who have known their Husband Lord.

ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਜੈਸੀ ਥੀ ਰਹਾ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੇਲਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥੧॥
If only I could be like them! Joining the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, I am united in His Union. ||1||

ਮੁੰਧੇ ਕੂੜਿ ਮੁਠੀ ਕੂੜਿਆਰਿ ॥
O woman, the false ones are being cheated by falsehood.

ਪਿਰੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਸੋਹਣਾ ਪਾਈਐ ਗੁਰ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
God is your Husband; He is Handsome and True. He is obtained by reflecting upon the Guru. ||1||Pause||

ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਕੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਛਾਣਈ ਤਿਨ ਕਿਉ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਇ ॥
The self-willed manmukhs do not recognize their Husband Lord; how will they spend their life-night?

ਗਰਬਿ ਅਟੀਆ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਜਲਹਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ॥
Filled with arrogance, they burn with desire; they suffer in the pain of the love of duality.

ਸਬਦਿ ਰਤੀਆ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਤਿਨ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
The happy soul-brides are attuned to the Shabad; their egotism is eliminated from within.

ਸਦਾ ਪਿਰੁ ਰਾਵਹਿ ਆਪਣਾ ਤਿਨਾ ਸੁਖੇ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਿਹਾਇ ॥੨॥
They enjoy their Husband Lord forever, and their life-night passes in the most blissful peace. ||2||

ਗਿਆਨ ਵਿਹੂਣੀ ਪਿਰ ਮੁਤੀਆ ਪਿਰਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥
She is utterly lacking in spiritual wisdom; she is abandoned by her Husband Lord. She cannot obtain His Love.

ਅਗਿਆਨ ਮਤੀ ਅੰਧੇਰੁ ਹੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਿਰ ਦੇਖੇ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
In the darkness of intellectual ignorance, she cannot see her Husband, and her hunger does not depart.

ਆਵਹੁ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਸਹੇਲੀਹੋ ਮੈ ਪਿਰੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥
Come and meet with me, my sister soul-brides, and unite me with my Husband.

ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਪਿਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੩॥
She who meets the True Guru, by perfect good fortune, finds her Husband; she is absorbed in the True One. ||3||

ਸੇ ਸਹੀਆ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥
Those upon whom He casts His Glance of Grace become His happy soul-brides.

ਖਸਮੁ ਪਛਾਣਹਿ ਆਪਣਾ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਆਗੈ ਦੇਇ ॥
One who recognizes her Lord and Master places her body and mind in offering before Him.

ਘਰਿ ਵਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਆਪਣਾ ਹਉਮੈ ਦੂਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥
Within her own home, she finds her Husband Lord; her egotism is dispelled.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋਭਾਵੰਤੀਆ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥੪॥੨੮॥੬੧॥
O Nanak, the happy soul-brides are embellished and exalted; night and day they are absorbed in devotional worship. ||4||28||61||

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
ਗਿਆਨ ਵਿਹੂਣੀ ਪਿਰ ਮੁਤੀਆ ਪਿਰਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥
She is utterly lacking in spiritual wisdom; she is abandoned by her Husband Lord. She cannot obtain His Love
peacesign

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM