• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Four Hours A Day On Computers 'can Double Heart Disease Risk'

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Four hours a day on computers ‘can double heart disease risk’

Just four hours a day in front of a computer or television could double your risk of a heart disease and thus increase your chances of premature death, a new study has claimed.

Researchers at the University College London have found that people who work on computers or watch television for four or more hours a day are 125 per cent more likely to suffer a major heart problem, often leading to death, than those who spend two hours or less.

And the study also found there is also a 48 per cent increase in deaths from any cause among people who spend too much time staring at a screen, the Daily Express reported.

Even exercise could not make up for the damage caused, say the researchers.

According to the researchers, inflammation and metabolic problems caused by long periods of inactivity could be to blame for the increased risks —— prolonged sitting could cause a 90 per cent reduction in a vital enzyme, lipoprotein lipase, that helps prevent heart disease.

Dr. Emmanuel Stamatakis of University College London’s public health department, who led the study, said: “Our analysis suggests that two or more hours of screen time each day may place someone at greater risk for a cardiac event.

“People who spend excessive amounts of time in front of a screen are more likely to die of any cause and suffer heart—related problems.”

The researchers have advised people who work in front of a computer to reduce their risk by taking breaks for a brief walk every 20 minutes.

Stamatakis said: “Standing and moving about results in at least 50 per cent more energy expenditure than sitting down so such approaches may also be very promising for tackling the obesity epidemic.

“A totally feasible and realistic redesign of the workplace and home environments can easily convert long periods of time during the workday that currently are strictly sedentary into a mixture of sitting, standing and light intensity activity. This would be an excellent start.

“TV watching should be a key target of public health interventions. Heart disease and poor health in general is not only the result of high cholesterol, diets high in fat, smoking and low exercise.”

http://www.thehindu.com/health/medicine-and-research/article1080435.ece?homepage=true

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I am SAFE..I have a Gurbani Class evrey hour or so...Thanks to Guru Ji...and then again..NO one is ever safe from the hooded scythie.....He comes smashing down all closed doors and even walls of steel...fall before him...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

Yes.. the "hooodie scythie" cannot be ignored. From my own experience...this is my situation...following a 2 year period when I was working on an accreditation project at work and was on the computer almost constantly, weekdays and weekends, often without taking time out for meals, and only 4 hours for sleep. My health deteriorated dramatically and I knew the entire time it was the sitting, abnormal posture, lack of exercise, constant stress with either the technology,, constant stress of deadlines, or the difficulty of the project in many spheres. Eyesight, blood pressure, heart rate, energy level, circulation...now all shot. Of course this is not to blame "computers" because any other episode that restricted a healthy lifestyle, using any other kind of equipment, would have the same result. So the tip to break every 20 minutes is really important.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM