• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Forced To Wed: 'They Think They're Doing What's Best For The Child'

Should Canada continue to rescue young women and men forced into marriage?

• Yes! Forced marriage violates fundamental human rights.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No! Cultural differences must be respected.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Governments should never interfere with family decisions.

• Undecided. Sometimes there may be good reason to force someone into a marriage.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No opinion. I have never really thought much about this issue.

• Total voters

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
No, it would not make sense to join a religious discussion and expect you to change your mind. But that was not my intention. If my intention were to try to convert you, then I'd be no better than a christian who tells me I'm going to hell (which is what I grew up hearing). The whole point of this forum is for people to share their opinion, and I have shared mine. I am not trying to convert you, but to (as Professor Richard Dawkins would say) raise your consciousness. I know you are not going to change your mind, because as devout as you are now, I have been that devout at some point in my life, so I know exactly (or at least close to) what you're thinking.

I just put in my two cents like everyone else. Just because it differs from your opinion doesn't mean that I must be the one that wants to change everyone. My opinion is simply that forced arranged marriages is a barbaric practice and it is astonishing it still happens. Humanity has failed us and human stupidity has once again triumphed.

Ahh then please forgive me if my words were rash or harsh.

I agree with you about forced marriages. I also am of the opinion that human stupidity does us a lot of harm, but I think that each one of us should be allowed to live as we please(in accordance with the law), but I do not agree that such stupidity has triumphed, as I still see lots of good in the majority of people around.

My main problem is how to contend with these two seemingly contradictory belifes. As I say I like Athists, the vast majority of my friends are non Theists of some kind, and I certianly do place a high value on the power of rational thought, I have even read Dawkins(you know you must always keep that mind open).

Once again please forgive me, it seems I totaly misjudged your intent.

Oct 16, 2009
I find this quite strange Sikh Royalist ji,

What is a tribe, how does one know what tribe one belongs to?

Does not marrying out of the tribe cause corrupt genetic materials due to not enough veriaty in the genepool?(Do tribe members share the same genes?)

What law takes precidance?

Please understand that I ask these questions due to my own ignorance of the subject, and in no way wish to upset anybody.

brother lee,

brother i guess i have already made a wrong statement in my last post.i posted without even thinking once that Sikhism comes first i am ashamed.well i think this is not the right place to discuss such matter will surely let you know but at the right place.

Atheist

SPNer
Nov 22, 2009
No worries. You make a good point though...two seemingly contradictory beliefs. But are they contradictory? There are good people and bad people in every religion and there are good and bad atheists. In other words, I would contend that a good person is a good person, regardless of their religious beliefs or non-beliefs. You like both religious and non-religious people because they are good people. To me, this means you don't need religion to be a good person. So even though a religious person and non-religious person disagree on the existence of god, they may still share good qualities, which is why you're friends with both.

Now, the useful-ness or non-useful-ness of religion and the existence of god is quite another topic which I'd be more than willing to discuss :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM