• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Food: The Ultimate Secret Exposed

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
What a load of bull...
I mean its always good to continue to refine our understanding of what we eat but this is bull and nothing more.

Complicated terms that no one understands, that he is just using to scare people. People are already scared of what they don't understand, this is just taking advantage of that.

Also, some terms people just don't have good feelings about like viruses and bacterial FECES. They don't mean the same thing when scientists use the terms. Viruses can be engineered to be beneficial, and bacterial FECES is more akin to something like cow's MILK.

Girl's age of onset of puberty has been decreasing ever since our living standards inreased. Is it fat? Is it something in the water? NO, its proper nutrition and healthy conditions.

Europeans were not educated on genetically modified organisms. They ignorantly fought off something that could provide nutrition to third world countries.

etc etc

Anyways, video is really biased. He is probably right here and there but you can't tell in all that muck.

Vikram Singh ji, I would find more videos that hold opposite viewpoints and see how they compare. Perhaps even an interview of a scientist or two, who specialize in microbiology.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
On one point. The foisting of genetically altered seeds on farmers in the developing world, by companies like Montsanto, has led to documented increases in farm bankruptcies in both India and Africa.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many more stories like this one both in TEHELKA and in the press at large.

Will They Get Our Bellies?
[/FONT]

MARIE-MONIQUE ROBIN has laid bare the criminal DNA of Monsanto. Enough reasons to throw it out, says PM BHARGAVA

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO MONSANTO Marie-Monique Robin Tulika Books 373 pp; Rs 675

FOOD BUSINESS is the biggest business in the world and whoever controls it controls the world. That this is what Monsanto and its patron, the US Government, want to do is the message that comes out strongly in this extremely wellresearched book. The route to food domination will be through genetically manipulated (GM) seeds, pesticides and weedicides..

Historically, this is a logical follow-up of a host of dangerous toxic chemicals that Monsanto has been making one after the other — polychlorinated biphenols that cause cancer, dioxins that lead to chloracne, the deadly weedicide Round-Up (glyphosate), GM bovine growth hormone that produce painful mastitis in cattle, and genetically modified organisms such as GM corn, GM soya and Bt cotton, of which a variety of health hazards are now being increasingly documented in reliable scientific literature.

All this was preceded by Agent Orange, the defoliant used extensively by the Americans in Vietnam, contaminating more than 3,000 villages and defoliating between five and 10 million acres of plants and trees. I saw the consequences of this in 1982 while directing, under UNESCO, the first international scientific course after the war in Hanoi. I was taken several hundred kilometres south by Vietnam’s health minister. The surrealistic picture of mile-after-mile of denuded trees still haunts me.

Robin clearly brings out the {censored}tail of techniques that Monsanto has used to incur often irreversible damage to plant and animal life, including humans, and done so under the garb of humanitarian action such as making the world produce enough food to take care of its bourgeoning population. This deadly {censored}tail, all to maximise the company’s profits, includes lies, falsification of data, suppression of information, false advertising claims, shady scientific work, contamination of the environment, bribery, threats to whistle-blowers, controlling the media, victimisation of farmers, and control of the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in its own country through collusion of the US Government.

In fact, we in India have evidence of it all — evidence that has inexorably led to an indefinite moratorium on the release of Monsanto-Mahyco’s Bt brinjal.
Monsanto’s propensity for criminal and unethical acts is built into its genes
This book gives us enough reasons to throw Monsanto out of India in national interest and freeze the assets of such companies if they don’t behave — which, as the book brings out, they are unlikely to do. The propensity to indulge in criminal, illegal and unethical acts, like the ones I have mentioned above, is built in their genes. With its corruption status, India is unlikely to fare better than Indonesia where Monsanto bribed more than 140 government officials to have its Bt cotton released without an environmental risk assessment. Yet, there is hope with what we did with Monsanto-Mahyco’s Bt brinjal, and the fact that even the US could not have Monsanto market its Round-Up Ready wheat.

If our government does not learn a lesson from Robin’s book, it must lose the right to govern the country.

Dr Bhargava is a molecular biologist and was a Supreme Courtappointed observer of GEAC, India’s GM regulatory body

What is at stake with GMOs and Monsanto?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
The digger Journalist Marie-Monique Robin

Marie-Monique Robin, 50, is a French investigative journalist who won the Albert Londres prize for her exposé on organ transplants. Her work on Monsanto was first released as a documentary. She spoke to Samrat Chakrabarti from France. Excerpts:

How did you begin researching Monsanto ?
Some years ago I went to India to tell the story of bio-piracy, such as patenting of neem by an American company. In Punjab I met with farmers’ organisations that told me you should do something on Monsanto. I asked them why, and they said, “We Indian farmers would like to know more about this company and why it’s buying up all the major seed companies in India.” Everywhere I went, I heard about this company called Monsanto. And so I began researching. It was incredible to discover its criminal past. With GM organisms (GMO), too, it was the exact same criminal process at work — lying, concealing, falsifying.

Have you been threatened by Monsanto ?
During my investigation I was very afraid, knowing that Monsanto uses litigation to intimidate people. Every part of the documentary and book has been reviewed by a lawyer and I was sure I would win any case — but to win I might have to sell my house. Then something quite incredible happened. When the documentary and book released in France, it got a huge following on the Internet, which made it counter-productive for Monsanto to come after me. I showed my documentary in the Congress and equivalent bodies in France, Canada, Paraguay, Brazil, Argen tina, Luxembourg — and it had a huge impact. Scientists couldn’t dismiss my story because the core of my investigation was to show that there was nothing scientific about the principle of substantial equivalence (that says that a GMO plant is the same as a non-GMO plant). It was a Monsanto invention to introduce GMOs as quickly as possible into the market without any health or environment assessment. This hit Europe like a bomb since it was the reason for GMOs there. Now Europe does not allow it and my earnest hope is that India does the same, because it’s a disaster. There were two things that moved me the most in my investigation — one was how Monsanto is destroying communities in the US by making farmers spy on each other to prevent patent infringement, and the other was the farmer suicides in Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh where Bt cotton was introduced. Farmer suicides is nothing new, neither in India or even here in France, but there is no doubt in my mind that Bt cotton was a great contributor in pushing Indian farmers into the debt trap that led to these suicides.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From Tehelka Magazine, Vol 7, Issue 30, Dated July 31, 2010

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main46.asp?filename=hub310710willtheyget.asp
[/FONT]​

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
Bhagat singhji,there is very good site regarding G.M. Food and it effects
50 Harmful effects of Genetically Modified (GM) Foods Check that
[FONT=arial black,avant garde][FONT=arial black,avant garde]http://www.raw-wisdom.com/50harmful.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
One more web-page regarding G.M. Product, lot of information
Eight Foods that Could be Disastrous for Your Health

A genetically modified (GM) crop has been found thriving in the wild for the first time in the United States. At the recent Ecological Society of America conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, researchers broke the news that transgenic canola is growing freely in parts of North Dakota.

GM crops have spread from cultivated land to the wild in several countries, but they have not previously been found in uncultivated land in the United States.

The scientists behind the discovery say this highlights a lack of proper monitoring and control of GM crops in the United States.

"The extent of the escape is unprecedented," says Cynthia Sagers, an ecologist at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, who led the research team that found the canola (Brassica napus, also known as rapeseed).
Sagers says the discovery of plants that are resistant to two major herbicides shows that "these feral populations of canola have been part of the landscape for several generations."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...0/gm-crop-escapes-into-the-american-wild.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Another note to add on this topic.

ConAgra is one of the biggest purveyors of GM seeds. When the North American Fair Trade Agreement or NAFTA was negotiated with Canada and Mexico, the US got the better end of the deal on the export of corn stock. ConAgra sold GM corn seed to Mexico - and part of the deal was to buy the fertilizers too. This caused a major disruption in the farming economy of Mexico. Corn has historically been a major source of income for Mexican farmers. In time Mexican farmers found they could not cultivate their own seed stock per agreements with ConAgra, and at the same time were bound to buy GM seeds and fertilizers from ConAgra. Crops grown from GM seed are basically sterile. They do not produce seeds that can be used for planting in the next year. As in Punjab Mexican farms collapsed and farmers went bankrupt.

NAFTA is perhaps one of the most compelling reasons for the influx of illegal immigrants into the southwest United States. They simply had no source of income and were desperate. Now we are looking at radical changes in immigration policy and law enforcement on the border, which in the case of Arizona has been found to be inhumane and unconstitutional. What is more - The story of how Mexican immigrants have been victims of extortion, unsafe passage, and even death at the hands of immigration agents working on the wrong side of the law has been told many times. And citizens in states like Arizona admit that the tide of illegal immigration has been influenced by the imbalance in NAFTA. At the same time they shrug and say - Well the US simply was better at striking a deal. To the winner belongs the spoils.

The situation is so bad that now interfaith groups have taken this very topic of GM food stocks on as an item for advocacy.

The moral of this story. These are wars that are being fought and food is the weapon. Poor people are the primary victims. In the end we have victimized one another. Not something to take lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
One more information regarding this

An international advocacy organization based in Canada, ETC Group has been monitoring corporate power in the industrial life sciences for the past 30 years. The report reveals that:[/FONT]

From thousands of seed companies and public breeding institutions three decades ago, 10 companies now control more than two-thirds of global proprietary seed sales
From dozens of pesticide companies three decades ago, 10 now control almost 90% of agrochemical sales worldwide
From almost 1,000 biotech start-ups 15 years ago, 10 companies now account for three-quarters of industry revenues
The top 10 pharmaceutical companies control 55% of the global drug market[/FONT]

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
World's Top 10 Seed Campanies

1.Monsanto US
2. Dupont US
3.Syngenta (Switzerland)
4.Groupe Limagrain France
5.Land o' Lakes US
6.Kwsag Germany
7.Bayers Corp Science Germany
8.Sakata Japan