• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ek Onkar -Translation

mwadera

SPNer
Feb 9, 2006
Sat sri Akal to every one,

Can anyone translate "ek onkar" for me. I mean can anyone explain the meaning of each Line... I will be very grateful to you all.

Regards
Monica

ek onkar satnam kartapurakh
nirmoh nirvair akaal murat
ajuni sabham
guru parsad jap aad sach jugaad sach
hai bhi sach nanak hose bhi sach
soche soch na ho wai
jo sochi lakh waar
chhupe chhup na howai
je laai har lakhtaar
ukhiya pukh na utari
je banna puriya paar
sahasyanpa lakh woh hai
ta ek na chale naal
ke ve sach yaara hoi ae
ke ve kude tutte paal
hukum rajai chalna nanak likheya naal

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Re: ek onkar- Translation

Fateh ji.

Kindly look in the following forum:
Jap Ji Sahib

You will find beautiful explanations by Amarpal ji, NamHari Kaur ji, japjishaib04 ji...

hopefully that will give you more information.

PS: There are a few mistakes in the first pauri you wrote, you may like to look at the correct words too.

Regards, Arvind.

Last edited by a moderator:

mwadera

SPNer
Feb 9, 2006

Sat Naam Arvind Ji,

Thanks for your reply but my problem is i don;t know punjabi much so there was mistake in listening n writing ek onkar, so i could not find it translation too.

It will be greate help if you can translate it or can just copy pastethe understanding here.

Its my starting to understand Sikh philosophy, please help.

Regards
Monica Wadera

Arvind said:
Fateh ji.

Kindly look in the following forum:
http://www.sikhism.us/japji-sahib/
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/japji-sahib/
You will find beautiful explanations by Amarpal ji, NamHari Kaur ji, japjisahib04 ji...

hopefully that will give you more information.

PS: There are a few mistakes in the first pauri you wrote, you may like to look at the correct words too.

Regards, Arvind.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada

Monica ji,

Guru Fateh parvaan karo ji.

I am putting the links to relevant contents here:
http://www.sikhism.us/japji-sahib/4467-gifts-of-japji-pauris.html
http://www.sikhism.us/japji-sahib/5378-japji-sahib-pauri-1-guru-granth.html

"Ek-onkar satnam.......................... hosie bhi sach" is called Mool mantar from where Guru Granth Sahib ji starts.
After that first pauri is there i.e. "Sochai soch naa hovayee...................nanak likhiya naal"

I will find some audio links for you so that you can download and listen to that.

Also to mention, harsimiritkaur ji is doing great job in coming up with phonetics for correct pronunciation... I could not find her work on this site regarding mool mantar and first pauri though.

If this does not help, let us know. will copy/paste the complete understanding here, instead of links.

Regards, Arvind.

Sep 12, 2006

pls tell me the meaning of......

ek onkar satnam kartapurakh
nirmoh nirvair akaal murat
ajuni sabham
guru parsad jap aad sach jugaad sach
hai bhi sach nanak hose bhi sach
soche soch na ho wai
jo sochi lakh waar
chhupe chhup na howai
je laai har lakhtaar
ukhiya pukh na utari
je banna puriya paar
sahasyanpa lakh woh hai
ta ek na chale naal
ke ve sach yaara hoi ae
ke ve kude tutte paal
hukum rajai chalna nanak likheya naal

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

Dear Manish Mahajan.

Welcome to this form!

I am providing one of the popular Translation of the Gubani you asked for . It is the First Bani /Opening part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib . I hope it helps

ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ

ੴ सति नामु करता पुरखु निरभउ निरवैरु अकाल मूरति अजूनी सैभं गुर प्रसादि ॥
ik-oNkaar sat naam kartaa purakh nirbha-o nirvair akaal moorat ajoonee saibhaN gur parsaad.
One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace ~

ਜਪੁ
॥ जपु ॥
jap.
Chant And Meditate:

ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ
आदि सचु जुगादि सचु ॥
aad sach jugaad sach.
True In The Primal Beginning. True Throughout The Ages.

ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥
है भी सचु नानक होसी भी सचु ॥१॥
hai bhee sach naanak hosee bhee sach. ||1||
True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True. ||1||

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ
सोचै सोचि न होवई जे सोची लख वार ॥
sochai soch na hova-ee jay sochee lakh vaar.
By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.

ਚੁਪੈ ਚੁਪ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਲਾਇ ਰਹਾ ਲਿਵ ਤਾਰ
चुपै चुप न होवई जे लाइ रहा लिव तार ॥
chupai chup na hova-ee jay laa-ay rahaa liv taar.
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.

ਭੁਖਿਆ ਭੁਖ ਉਤਰੀ ਜੇ ਬੰਨਾ ਪੁਰੀਆ ਭਾਰ
भुखिआ भुख न उतरी जे बंना पुरीआ भार ॥
bhukhi-aa bhukh na utree jay bannaa puree-aa bhaar.
The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even by piling up loads of worldly goods.

ਸਹਸ ਸਿਆਣਪਾ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਇਕ ਚਲੈ ਨਾਲਿ
सहस सिआणपा लख होहि त इक न चलै नालि ॥
sahas si-aanpaa lakh hohi ta ik na chalai naal.
Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.

ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ
किव सचिआरा होईऐ किव कूड़ै तुटै पालि ॥
kiv sachi-aaraa ho-ee-ai kiv koorhai tutai paal.
So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥
हुकमि रजाई चलणा नानक लिखिआ नालि ॥१॥
hukam rajaa-ee chalnaa naanak likhi-aa naal. ||1||
O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||

Jatinder Singh

mwadera

SPNer
Feb 9, 2006

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for links and translation. I read it and now when i listen to it it gives me meaning too.

thanks a lot...

regards
Monica

vaapaaraa

SPNer
Jul 15, 2004

Here is a translation from Sant Teja Singh

IK OngKaar
There is but One all embracing and all-powerful Divinity, Who manifests Himself first in the shape of the sacred word(OngKaar), and then through the whole created Universe. He is the One-in-All and the All-in-One. He is the Eternal Reality.

SatNaam
Eternal and True is his name (Satnaam)

Karta
He is the Creator, and has the power of independent self-creation. He permeates the whole creation.

Purakh
He is the only male element in the Universe and all else is female.

NirBhau
He is above all fear

NirVair
free from all thoughts of enmity.

Akaal Moorat Ajoonee Saibhang
He is immortal, free from birth and rebirth, and can be realized in every created thing. He is self-existent.
The whole universe is dependent for its existence on Him but he is self-existent; the Generator of all, without any one to generate Him.

Gur Prasaad
He can be realized through the grace of the Guru: - The Teacher who is God conscious, and sees Him both within and without.

you can download the whole book of translation at http://www.westernssa.com/resources/docs/JapJiSahib-ATranslation-Sant Teja SIngh.pdf
Index of /resources/docs
I find this translation although not explained line by line or word by word is more accurate.

The whole meaning of Mool mantra is really very deep. If you do understand punjabi audio. I suggest you listen to this
japji katha by Giani Thakur Singh here

G U R M A T V E E C H A R . C O M - Giani Thakur Singh Ji (Damdami Taksal wale) Katha

In it Guru Ji explains to the siddhas why was the need for this, when we already had other mantras like om (ong,aum)

In short, we have a really priceless gift given to us, and it is superiour to everything .... try reciting
IK OongKaaar SatGur Prasaad for a while and you will feel.
OngKaar is the very form of God.

May Guru Ji bless you

Aug 28, 2010
Re: ek onkar-Translation

MONIKA JI
GUROO FATEH PARVAN JI;
THIS REFERS TO YOUR REQMT OF TRANSLATION OF THE VERY FIRST SYMBOL OF SGGS JI''WE FIND DIFFERENT TRANSLATIONS LIKE IK ONKAAR/EKONKAAR/EKOMKAAR.WE MUST LOOK FOR ITS CORRECT TRANSLATION FROM WITHIN SGGS JI.THIS IS GIVEN AS SINGLE WORD "EKANKAARU". THIS WORD IS GRAMTICALLY SINGULAR AND ITS PLURAL IS "EKANKAAR". THE FOLLOWING TRANSLATION MAY PL BE GIVEN A THOUGHT
EKANKAARU IS SATiNAAMU
IS KARTA PURUKHU
IS NIRBHAU
IS NIRVAIRU
IS SWAMBHOO
IS GUR
IS PRASADi

kennymevrick

SPNer
Sep 1, 2010

Well If you want to full translation of this then I recommended to use Google translator this is the best for any type of translation I also tell my friend she know all the meaning of this Sikh mantra.

May 24, 2008

Monica ji,
"Ek-onkar satnam.......................... hosie bhi sach" is called Mool mantar from where Guru Granth Sahib ji starts.
After that first pauri is there i.e. "Sochai soch naa hovayee...................nanak likhiya naal"
Regards, Arvind.

Arvind Ji ,
The Moolmantar finishes at GURPARSAAD . From there onwards the Baani " JAAPU " starts which we respectfully refer as Japuji Sahib .

Aug 28, 2010

Ref:VERY FIRST SYMBOL OF GURBAANI
It is very very important symbol in the whole of Gurbaani.Truely speaking the whole understanding of Gurbaani is based on knowing the correct meaning of this important SYMBOLikonkaar
We have been given varied pronunciation to this SYMBOL.Generally accepted pronunciations are EK ONKAAR or IK ONKAAR.But in SSGji its pronunciation is different which should be given a due consideration .This pronunciation is visible as EKANKAARU/EKANKAAR.
EK ONKAAR or IKONKAAR are two separate words whereas EKANKAARU/EKANKAAR is a single word pronunciation.So there is difference in the meanings of the words EK ONKAARor IK ONKAAR and the word EKANKAARU/EKANKAAR.
This is impotant to understand.
when we make use of pronunciation as EK ONKAAR or IK ONKAAR we give its meaning as
GOD IS ONE. But when we would pronounce this as EKANKAAKU/EKANKAAR now the meaning is not what we know as GOD IS ONE.

So as per SGGS ji the correct pronunciation is EKANKAARU/EKANKAAR and its meaning is
SHABADU GUROO JOTi and this has been reffered as GUR .

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010

Ref: EKANKAARU/EKANKAAR....
From Gurbaani it can be observered that the word ONKAAR is not the PRIME WORD of the Sikh Philosophy.
GURU NANAK DEV Ji pronounced the concept of SHABADU GUROO and SHABADU GUROO JOTi as the Basic Concept of Gurbaani.Before GURU NANAK DEV Ji No one ever gave this concept.Therefore it is utmost important for us to know this Basic Concept of Gurbaani.
Let us understand the difference in the concept of the words ONKAAR and EKANKAAR.
In Gurbaani nowhere is being reffered ONKAAR as EK or IK ONKAAR .On the other hand we come across EKANKAAR as IKu EKANKAARas given in Sukhmani Sahib
KAEE BAAR PASREO PASAAR,SADAA SADAA IKu EKANKAAR pp276
...................................................................................
To get to know the meaning of any compound word Such as ONKAAR or EKANKAAR ,the word is Disected into two meaningful words.But this Disection should be as per Rule of Grammer of Disection of Compound words.
Accordingly The Disection of the words is as onder

ONKAAR is Disected as ONG+KAAR and
EKANKAAR is Disected as EKONG+KAAR

The word EKANKAAR can not be Disected as EK+ONGKAAR.
IT would thus be of great interest to consider the Disection of the word EKANKAAR as EKONG+KAAR to get the meaning as SHABADU GUROO JOTi{The Waves of THE WORD GUROO}that is reffered as GUR .And this GUR is PRASAADi.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010

FINDING MYWAYS Ji,
Divine GReetings,
THE WORD GOD IS GRAMATICALLY SINGULAR{NOUN}.It automatically means ONE GOD.The word GOD need not to be mentioned as ONEGOD.Where is such need to say?
PL give a thaught to this aspect of the word GOD.
With best wishes
Prakash.S.Bagga

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!

FINDING MYWAYS Ji,
Divine GReetings,
THE WORD GOD IS GRAMATICALLY SINGULAR{NOUN}.It automatically means ONE GOD.The word GOD need not to be mentioned as ONEGOD.Where is such need to say?
With best wishes
Prakash.S.Bagga

Hindus believed in several Gods so Guru Ji was making sure that we know that there is only one ultimate God. Muslims will also argue that their God is superior to any God other people believe in. Guru Ji was telling us that no matter what name you use, it is the same ONE GOD. Historically this was unique and very important for people to understand as then they could behave more like brothers and sisters as they are all children of the same God. It also is a way of stopping the idol worship that the Hindu faith follows as there is only one God, not a multitude of them.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

FINDING MYWAYS Ji,
Divine GReetings,
With best wishes
Prakash.S.Bagga

prakash s bagga ji

To tell the truth, it has been next to impossible to follow what you are saying. And I am not alone in this concern.

A few posts back it seemed you were advocating the view that there is a plurality of Gods. Now you are saying there is only one, and therefore there is no need to say ONE GOD.

If there is one god then why bother if a person says God or One God. In one instance it is a proper name, in another instance a core idea is mentioned with the word ONE. It is still one and only one.

You are not teaching. You are confusing people. Sometimes the issues you raise make no difference in the depth of devotion someone will reach. And devotion not grammatical propriety is what it is about. Not only that but the human mind is capable of scanning discrepancies, and also finding the ideas that span or bridge these differences.

We have covered the OOO//U matter more than is necessary on other threads. Some would say that the aunkar is not even pronounced so why make a big deal from this. Now we are on to Ik Oankaar versus Ekankaar versus some other versions of same - bad transliterations of the Gurmukhi characters. They are all lousy transliterations. Vichaar is not being helped along.

Now if someone wanted to get really technical then that person would say that ek ankaar, ek onkaar and ik oankaar are wrong. All completely wrong based on rules of phonetic transfer. It should be eik oan kaar (and it would sound in English, I don't know about another language, something like this, ehk ohahn kar) Grammar is only partially understood through pronunication. p/s "eik" represented by a number 1. And that gets us over a big hurdle.

Let's move on with clarity.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM