• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Don't Eat!

star

Banned
Nov 20, 2013
Experience here

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Jesus didn’t eat pork, in keeping with Old Testament law (Leviticus 11:7 and Deuteronomy 14:8). Muslims also believe pork is forbidden. Christians … well, you get the idea[/FONT]

If you post any more of these videos, or videos like them, you will be banned permanently. This is your final warning. spnadmin

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Christians have no food restrictions:

Acts 11

<SUP> </SUP>Starting from the beginning, Peter told them the whole story: <SUP class=versenum>5 </SUP>“I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision.<SUP class=crossreference value='(E)'></SUP> I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. <SUP class=versenum>6 </SUP>I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds. <SUP class=versenum>7 </SUP>Then I heard a voice telling me, ‘Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.’
<SUP class=versenum>8 </SUP>“I replied, ‘Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’
<SUP class=versenum>9 </SUP>“The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’<SUP class=crossreference value='(F)'></SUP><SUP class=versenum>10 </SUP>This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again.

choochoochan

SPNer
Nov 4, 2013
Christians have no food restrictions:

Acts 11

<SUP> </SUP>Starting from the beginning, Peter told them the whole story: <SUP class=versenum>5 </SUP>“I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision.<SUP class=crossreference value='(E)'></SUP> I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. <SUP class=versenum>6 </SUP>I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds. <SUP class=versenum>7 </SUP>Then I heard a voice telling me, ‘Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.’
<SUP class=versenum>8 </SUP>“I replied, ‘Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’
<SUP class=versenum>9 </SUP>“The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’<SUP class=crossreference value='(F)'></SUP><SUP class=versenum>10 </SUP>This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again.

The NT is a continuation of the OT. In the NT, Jesus said he was not here to change the laws but to reinforce them. Jesus was a Jew, and he in all probability kept to the Kosher diet.

The main argument used by Christians as to why they are allowed to eat whatever they want stems from Matthew 15:

15 Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying, 2 “Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.”

3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; [a] and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’[c] Thus you have made the commandment[d] of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And[e] honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”[f]
10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.”

12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?”

13 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”

15 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “Explain this parable to us.”

16 So Jesus said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”

Truly that talks about eating with unwashed hands. Peter's story is just for Peter and the circumstances during his trip. Even in the Quran, it is permissible to eat the flesh of swine if we have no other choice.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
These same "religions" also warn you..."DONT THINK"...DONT ASK QUESTIONS...DONT INQUIRE...whereas GURU NANAK JI declares.."USE your Creator gifted Brain..Intellect..ASK..and Tell others kicch SUNNEAH..kicchh Kaheyeah..listen..talk..be curious..find out...discover..DONT BE A SHEEP blindly following....thats why Gurmatt and Gurbani calls all thsi DIET stuff prohibitions a MOORAKHS DEBATING OTHER MOORAKHS...

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
The NT is a continuation of the OT. In the NT, Jesus said he was not here to change the laws but to reinforce them. Jesus was a Jew, and he in all probability kept to the Kosher diet.

No kidding. I didn't say Jesus didn't keep Kosher, he probably did. This story by Peter comes after Jesus. Point is, there are no food restrictions for Christians as erroneously claimed by Star.

The main argument used by Christians as to why they are allowed to eat whatever they want stems from Matthew 15:
<SNIP>
Truly that talks about eating with unwashed hands. Peter's story is just for Peter and the circumstances during his trip. Even in the Quran, it is permissible to eat the flesh of swine if we have no other choice.

This translation of Acts 11 is probably more clear:

<SUP class=versenum>5 </SUP>“I was in the town of Joppa,” he said, “and while I was praying, I went into a trance and saw a vision. Something like a large sheet was let down by its four corners from the sky. And it came right down to me. <SUP class=versenum>6 </SUP>When I looked inside the sheet, I saw all sorts of tame and wild animals, reptiles, and birds. <SUP class=versenum>7 </SUP>And I heard a voice say, ‘Get up, Peter; kill and eat them.’
<SUP class=versenum>8 </SUP>“‘No, Lord,’ I replied. ‘I have never eaten anything that our Jewish laws have declared impure or unclean.<SUP class=footnote value='[d]'>[d]</SUP>’
<SUP class=versenum>9 </SUP>“But the voice from heaven spoke again: ‘Do not call something unclean if God has made it clean.’ <SUP class=versenum>10 </SUP>This happened three times before the sheet and all it contained was pulled back up to heaven.
Anyway. Stories. Our eating choices should be informed by reason.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Contemporary (Pauline) Christianity is vastly different from the actual teachings of Yeshua. It's true that Christianity doesn't forbid any foods; there is much evidence (albeit suppressed or forgotten) that Yeshua (Jesus), his disciples and, his early followers and the Christians of the first centuries were indeed strictly vegetarian.
The fact, as Chochoochan correctly points out, is that the laws of the Old Testament were repeatedly given as "eternal". So when Paul and his followers preach the end of those laws, and new laws "in Jesus", it points to the source of the confusion: stuff was made up as they went along, usually to please or benefit whoever was in power during those times.
If anyone needs evidence of the vegetarianism of the early church, I'll provide it.
In the meantime, my polemical observation: all around the world, we find a natural coupling of holiness and vegetarianism.
Waheguru!:winkingsingh:

star

Banned
Nov 20, 2013
yes that's right

Pork prohibited in the Bible
The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible
prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus
“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth
not the cud; he is unclean to you”.
“Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch,
they are unclean to you.” [Leviticus 11:7-8]
Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy
“And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud,it is unclean unto you.

Deleted YouTube reference

choochoochan

SPNer
Nov 4, 2013
So when Paul and his followers preach the end of those laws, and new laws "in Jesus", it points to the source of the confusion: stuff was made up as they went along, usually to please or benefit whoever was in power during those times.
If anyone needs evidence of the vegetarianism of the early church, I'll provide it.
In the meantime, my polemical observation: all around the world, we find a natural coupling of holiness and vegetarianism.
Waheguru!:winkingsingh:

The fact is the current shape of Christianity is anything but the religion preached by Jesus in the NT. It's an amalgamation of certain Christian principles and prevailing cultural practices and religious theologies of Europe at the time, to make Christianity more palatable.

Vegetarianism is not for everyone. I tried to be one and i felt deprived. I hate it when vegetarians assume a holier than thou attitude. I once had a Sikh friend telling me i would be reincarnated as a chicken cos i had chicken curry for dinner.

choochoochan

SPNer
Nov 4, 2013
yes that's right

Pork prohibited in the Bible
The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible
prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus
“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth
not the cud; he is unclean to you”.
“Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch,
they are unclean to you.” [Leviticus 11:7-8]
Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy
“And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud,it is unclean unto you.

Deleted YouTube reference

Those are in the Old Testament, which Christians believe have no hold on them, since the covenant was between God and the Jews. It is believed by some, that the New Testament brought a "new" way, disregarding Jesus' affirmation of the old laws.

choochoochan

SPNer
Nov 4, 2013
No kidding. I didn't say Jesus didn't keep Kosher, he probably did. This story by Peter comes after Jesus. Point is, there are no food restrictions for Christians as erroneously claimed by Star.

You've missed the point i tried to make. Jesus said his role was to affirm the old ways, and not to introduce anything new, which means, the old dietary laws would apply as well. Not a matter of whether Jesus adhered to a kosher diet.

Paul, was an apostle. He was not, if you're a christian, the Son of God. Peter's stories are his own.

star

Banned
Nov 20, 2013
Those are in the Old Testament, which Christians believe have no hold on them, since the covenant was between God and the Jews. It is believed by some, that the New Testament brought a "new" way, disregarding Jesus' affirmation of the old laws.

yes dear brother

--

*calls out* Christian. We need a CHRISTIAN!

this easy

Looking back, what seems strange to me now is not that people would wish to embody Jesus’ values, but that others would criticize them for it. What seems even stranger is that few Christians, in the modern day, match this profile. is that Muslims seemed to embody Jesus’ values better than Christians.

1. Jesus was bearded, as are most Muslims, but only the rare Christian.

2. Jesus dressed modestly. If we close our eyes and form a mental picture, we see flowing robes, from wrists to ankles—much like the loose Arabian thobes and the Indio-Pakistani shalwar kameez, typical of the Muslims of those areas. What we don’t imagine is the revealing or seductive clothing so ubiquitous in Christian cultures.

3. Jesus’ mother covered her hair, and this practice was maintained among the Christian women of the Holy Land up to the middle of the twentieth century. Again, this is a practice maintained among Muslims as well as Orthodox Jews (of which Jesus was one), but not among modern day Christians.
Manners

1. Jesus focused upon salvation and eschewed finery. How many “righteous” Christians fit this “It’s not just on Sundays” profile? Now how many “five prayers a day, every day of the year” Muslims?

2. Jesus spoke with humility and kindness. He didn’t “showboat.” When we think of his speeches, we don’t imagine theatrics. He was a simple man known for quality and truth. How many preachers and how many evangelists follow this example?

3. Jesus taught his disciples to offer the greeting of “Peace” (Luke 10:5), and then set the example: “Peace be with you” (Luke 24:36, John 20:19, John 20:21, John 20:26). Who continues this practice to this day, Christians or Muslims? “Peace be with you” is the meaning of the Muslim greeting, “Assalam alaikum.” Interestingly enough, we find this greeting in Judaism as well (Genesis 43:23, Numbers 6:26, Judges 6:23, I Samuel 1:17 and I Samuel 25:6).
Religious Practices

1. Jesus was circumcised (Luke 2:21). Paul taught it wasn’t necessary (Rom 4:11 and Gal 5:2). Muslims believe it is.

2. Jesus didn’t eat pork, in keeping with Old Testament law (Leviticus 11:7 and Deuteronomy 14:8). Muslims also believe pork is forbidden. Christians … well, you get the idea.

3. Jesus didn’t give or take usury, in compliance with the Old Testament prohibition (Exodus 22:25). Usury is forbidden in the Old Testament and the Quran, as it was forbidden in the religion of Jesus. The economies of most Christian countries, however, are structured upon usury.

4. Jesus didn’t fornicate, and abstained from extramarital contact with women. Now, this issue extends to the least physical contact with the opposite sex. With the exception of performing religious rituals and helping those in need, Jesus never even touched a woman other than his mother. Strictly practicing Orthodox Jews maintain this practice to this day in observance of Old Testament law. Likewise, practicing Muslims don’t even shake hands between the sexes. Can Christian “hug your neighbor” and “kiss the bride” congregations make the same claim?
Practices of Worship

1. Jesus purified himself with washing prior to prayer, as was the practice of the pious prophets who preceded him (see Exodus 40:31-32 in reference to Moses and Aaron), and as is the practice of Muslims.

2. Jesus prayed in prostration (Matthew 26:39), like the other prophets (see Nehemiah 8:6 with regard to Ezra and the people, Joshua 5:14 for Joshua, Genesis 17:3 and 24:52 for Abraham, Exodus 34:8 and Numbers 20:6 for Moses and Aaron). Who prays like that, Christians or Muslims?

3. Jesus fasted for more than a month at a time (Matthew 4:2 and Luke 4:2), as did the pious before him (Exodus 34:28, I Kings 19:8), and as do Muslims in the annual fast of the month of Ramadan.

4. Jesus made pilgrimage for the purpose of worship, as all Orthodox Jews aspire to do. The Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca is well known, and is alluded to in the Bible (see The First and Final Commandment).
Matters of Creed

1. Jesus taught the oneness of God (Mark 12:29-30, Matthew 22:37 and Luke 10:27), as conveyed in the first commandment (Exodus 20:3). Nowhere did he declare the Trinity.

2. Jesus declared himself a man and a prophet of God (see above), and nowhere claimed divinity or divine sonship. Which creed are the above points more consistent with—the Trinitarian formula or the absolute monotheism of Islam?

One wonders what happened between the practices of the first generation of Jesus’ followers and the Christians of modern day. At the same time, we have to respect the fact that Muslims exemplify Jesus’ teachings more than Christians do. Furthermore, we should remember that the Old Testament foretold three prophets to follow. John the Baptist and Jesus Christ were numbers one and two, and Jesus Christ himself predicted the third and last. Hence, both Old and New Testaments speak of a final prophet, and we would be amiss if we didn’t consider that final prophet to be Muhammad, and the final revelation to be that of Islam

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM