• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Does Everyone Understand The Prayers At The Gurdwara

Harwinder

SPNer
Apr 4, 2011
Ok many people go to the gurudawara and i am sure most do understand what they prayers that are being said mean. Those people who really dont understand what the prayers mean what should they do about it? Not go any more? Shuold Gurudawars start teaching more about what jaap ji saib means or reahras saib mean.

Should Gurudawars have classes every sunday teaching the meaning of gurubani and patt?

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Many Gurdwara's do have classes to improve understanding. People tend to send their kids but adults do not seem to want to participate themselves. That is not the fault of the Gurdwara. Increasing number of Gurdwara's are also displaying the shabads and hukamnama on a big screen so the sangat can follow it. The English translations are not great but they are a starting point and you can always write down the shabad then look it up later.

The responsibility to learn and understand lies with each and every one of us. With the internet there are now many resources that allow us to do this so it is easier than ever to educate ourselves. Once we do that we can help at Gurdwara to share and explore that learning further as the Gurdwara can only host lessons if there is someone to teach japposatnamwaheguru:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The BUCK STOPS HERE..at MY FEET is how we should all look at this. Each of us has to take the bull by its horns...we must each make the effort to learn Gurmukhi..speak Punjabi, study Gurbani..teach others, interact with others to learn and un-learn and RELEARN..a continous process for which the Gurdwara is a HUB..a DWAAR...DOORWAY to the GURU.
By itself a "Door" is pretty useless...WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT...for it to be of any use !!..and IF possible..if you are the door-keeper...please try and open it WIDER rather than shut it...so more sangat can get IN !!

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
I don't even think the gyanis reading the bani understand some of the stuff that they are reading. To understand bani, you need to have understanding of the languages used, such was the education of gyanis in Gurus times. Punjabi and hindi is a start, sanskrit is also important.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Ok many people go to the gurudawara and i am sure most do understand what they prayers that are being said mean. Those people who really dont understand what the prayers mean what should they do about it? Not go any more? Shuold Gurudawars start teaching more about what jaap ji saib means or reahras saib mean.

Should Gurudawars have classes every sunday teaching the meaning of gurubani and patt?

I think we are going to need English speaking Gurudwara's in teh West, maybe a King Jame the 1st type translation of Bani.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
You could say the Dr Sant Singh Khalsa translation is already the KJV of Gurbani.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
You could say the Dr Sant Singh Khalsa translation is already the KJV of Gurbani.

This is the WORST ONE...if there ever was a "worst" title.
Hes taking everything at surface level...no understanding of metaphors, depth of language etc...just words at word value..Roti meri kaath ki is wooden bread type of translation...Manmohan singh is way baove him if we disregard the archaic english vocabulary he labours under..

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Yes indeed but no one said the KJV was the most accurate translation either - just happens to be the most widely used one, al la Dr Sant Singh Khalsa.

I was lucky in that Hew's translations were among some of the first I ever laid eyes on. I think they rock the kazbah and went a very, very long way to planting the seed of thirst in this little Sikh.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Yes indeed but no one said the KJV was the most accurate translation either - just happens to be the most widely used one, al la Dr Sant Singh Khalsa.

I was lucky in that Hew's translations were among some of the first I ever laid eyes on. I think they rock the kazbah and went a very, very long way to planting the seed of thirst in this little Sikh.

Incidently I don't think theer is anything else I agree with Hew Mcleod on :p

I think Gyani ji has a point, while many understand Gurnbani, their command of English and English literature is basic. Dr Sant Singh maybe guilty of this.

Apparently Dr Gopal Singh and Pritam Singh Chahil have degree attributes in English, which may have helped them. As well as Hew Mcleod.

Aug 28, 2010
ANY one interested in understanding Gurbanee,One should learn grammar of Gurbanee words first.Otherwise ,

Read...Listen...and Sing Gurbanee for the grace of GuRu.

Prakash.s.Bagga

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
ishna Ji..such things happen in religion too....you know the SONY BETAMAX sytem of recording videos was much much better than the PANASONIC VCR sytem...BUT SONY lost out because of marketing gimmicks of Panasonic...so the world popularised an INFERIOR Tape system... The KJV Bible gained popularity due to the Misdeeds of the POPE in ROME...and the Sant Singh Khalsa version has gained the same due to the Misdeeds of the SGPC in Amrtisar...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
What language do you think was used for prayer by the Christians?

Over HERE in MALAYSIA we have Churches that conduct in Chinese, Tamil, Punjabi, MALAY and many more....one goes to a church where one understands what the heck is being said...and the most visible problem with the Malay version is the Mulsims claim a MONOPOLY on the word ALLAH....which the christians disclaim because its an Arabic word..commonly used by Christians..blah blah blah...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Over HERE in MALAYSIA we have Churches that conduct in Chinese, Tamil, Punjabi, MALAY and many more....one goes to a church where one understands what the heck is being said...and the most visible problem with the Malay version is the Mulsims claim a MONOPOLY on the word ALLAH....which the christians disclaim because its an Arabic word..commonly used by Christians..blah blah blah...

Excellent point Gyani ji,

Shabad. Koi Bole Ram Ram {I} {Punjabi Gurbani} - YouTube

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009

One could easily use tools such as the Library or the Internet to Learn Just about Anything these days.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM