• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Disadvantages Of Eating Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Propagandist nonsense.

Why are vegetarians so obsessed with what meat eaters eat?

Why don't they just mind their own business instead of bashing meat eaters all the time?

I could post here promoting the benefits of eating meat here too........how would you like that?

Infact I will!!

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Sikh Faith,

Please stop fighting over whether one should eat meat or not. Our Gurus never ate meat and they have never encouraged anyone to eat meat either. There are numerous references against eating meat in the Holly Granth Sahib.

Eat what you wish but I say this from my own experience that if you are a soul progressing towards enlightenment or have the desire to do so, then abstain from eating meat because it becomes a hurdle in the the path spirituality and one shall pay dearly for these acts.

Jo karan ge so Bharen ge (I am doing it)

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Sikh Faith,

Please stop fighting over whether one should eat meat or not. Our Gurus never ate meat and they have never encouraged anyone to eat meat either.

Not true, no one knows what the Guru's ate…..however, the Bedi's and Sodhi's (direct descendents of the Guru's), are not vegetarians.

There are numerous references against eating meat in the Holly Granth Sahib.

No there are not!!!

There are no such refrences, but Brahmanical influences have spun some lines to state a certain diet. Sikhism leaves meat eating and vegetarianism up to the individual conscience. See:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/essays-on-sikhism/8828-fools-who-wrangle-over-flesh.html

Eat what you wish but I say this from my own experience that if you are a soul progressing towards enlightenment or have the desire to do so, then abstain from eating meat because it becomes a hurdle in the the path spirituality and one shall pay dearly for these acts.

Nonsense……spirituality has nothing to do with meat eating. If that were so Jesus would be a devil.

Jo karan ge so Bharen ge (I am doing it)

If that is what you are doing then why are you making judgments against those who follow a different diet from yours? If you expect people not to question your diet and your spirituality then do not question other peoples.

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
leave this ********...dont you all see that this is tearing us apart from inside? we have so many different factions ranging from eating meat or not to kashera length...brahmical influences are the reason for most of our problems so let us deal with these "holy men" who have had the sole purpose of assimilating sikhism into hinduism...whether you eat meat or not is not effecting your spiritual side and it is your own choice...please stop this ongoing debate because im sure everyone is sick of it
as an edit id like to remind everyone of the corruption the descendants of the guru's have fallen into and would wonder whether they would actually be a proper sikh as they use people's stupidity and ignorance for their own selfish greed. as well as their ego of calling themselves guru's so their stance on eating meat or not is essentially nullified concerning this discussion

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Ranjit Singh ji,

One will have to draw a conclusion from your argument (Manmat) that either you are not sikh or if you were one by association then you do not yet understand the message of our beloved Gurus'.

If the decendants of Sodhi's and Bedi clans are non-vegeterians how does that reflect on our Guru's way of live and teachings. Do doubt our Guru's? Are you in a position to judge them?

I am attaching the hard work of one "Davinder Singh" who has toiled to compile the following excerpts from Our Gurus under the title "Diet and Spirituality. I now seek his permission to put this article on the board " for all those non-believers" (Wise guys) :

DIET AND SPIRITUALITY
slok mÚ 1 ] kil hoeI kuqy muhI Kwju hoAw murdwru ] kUVu boil boil Baukxw cUkw Drmu bIcwru ]
ijn jIvMidAw piq nhI muieAw mMdI soie ] iliKAw hovY nwnkw krqw kry su hoie ]
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, people have faces like dogs;
they eat dead animals for food. They bark and speak, telling only lies;
Dharma and Vichaar have left them. Those who have no honor while alive,
will have an evil reputation after they die (sggs 1242).
You kill living beings, and call it a righteous action.
Tell me, brother, what would you call an unrighteous action?
You call yourself the most excellent sage; then who would you call a butcher? (sggs 1103)
By drinking, one's intelligence departs, and madness enters his mind;
he cannot distinguish between his own and others’ —
he is struck down by his Lord. By drinking, he forgets his Lord,
and he is punished in the Court of the Lord (sggs 554).
The truest of the true burn away the bonds of the world,
and eat a simple diet of grain and water (sggs 467).
<><><><>
A mind that is attached to sense pleasures can never stay firm on spiritual heights. Out of all physical senses of man's body, the sense of taste (i.e., tongue!) is the most difficult to control. This is why people go out of their way to justify their heinous habits or Vaasnaa of indulgence in gratification of this sense. However, one of the most important disciplines necessary for linking with God is the control of the tongue exercised both in the areas of food and speech. The edict of the Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS) is that without its control it is impossible to follow the path of devotion and become one with Waheguru, God.
· ] ijhvw suAwd loB mid mwqo aupjy Aink ibkwrw ]
Jihvaa suaad lobh mad maato upjai anik bikaar - You are intoxicated with the tastes of the
tongue, with greed and pride; countless sins spring from these (sggs 616).
· Ye rasnaa too anras laag rahee teree piyaas na jaayi. Piyaas na jaayehorat kitaai jichar Hari raas payi - O my tongue, you are engrossed in other tastes, but your thirsty desire is not quenched. Your thirst shall not be quenched by any means, until you attain the subtle essence of the Lord (sggs 921).
· Jitnee bhookh an ras saad hai titnee bhookh phir laagai - The more one feels hunger for other tastes and pleasures, the more this hunger persists (sggs 167).
· Mithiyaa rasna bhojan an swaad - False is the tongue which enjoys delicacies and tastes (sggs 269).
Material researchers (modern scientists) study and analyze the foods according to their physical properties and how they react on the physical body. However the spiritual scientists, who from ancient times delved in the spiritual science of foodstuff, consider the vibratory nature of food in determining what is uplifting, stimulating, stultifying or harmful when consumed. Hence, the aim of the true devotee is to purify himself of material contamination by nurturing his mode of goodness through pure and spiritually uplifting means. He knows that even the food he consumes, and also the manner in which he partakes of it, has its effect on the body and consciousness according to its vibratory quality.
Therefore, regulation of diet, company, sleep, etc., is recommended in the scriptures for the sincere seekers of Truth. Which is, for example, eat light and less. For that reason, a true Giani always eats light and less (Saatvic), as well as sleep less! Thus, he neither tortures his body, nor pampers it with sense gratification. Overeating or wrong eating is the enemy of meditative mind; eating insufficiently, on the other hand, leads to physical and mental weakness. Similarly, oversleep dulls the nervous system; not enough sleep produces a tendency to sleep against one's will. All of this is undesirable to the seeker of Truth. Baabaa Nanak Says:
· Kali hoyee kutte muhee khaaj hoyaa murdaar: In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, people have faces like dogs; they eat dead animals for food (sggs 1242).
· Seel sanjam such bhannee khaanaa khaaj ahaaj - Humility, self-control and purity have run away; people eat the uneatable, forbidden food (sggs 1242).
· Saad sahaj kari mann khelaaiaa. Tai sahi paasahu kahan kaaiaa. Mithaa kari kai kaurhaa khaaiaa - In relishes and pleasure, people play their mind games. When they approach You, O Lord, they will receive admonitions. They think it is sweet, so they eat the bitter (sggs 1243).
Overeating, fasting, eating dead-animals, drinking, smoking, sleeping too much or too little, etc., is for those who are in the mode of ignorance or passion. Simply put: Give the body its due, neither pampering nor abusing or torturing it, and then forget the body! In a natural way (Sahaj), thus, as the inner consciousness becomes spiritualized through progress in devotion, selfless work, study of scriptures, and meditation on the Naam the body also becomes spiritualized; then its material demands gradually diminish, spontaneously.
· Bin naavai mann tek na tiakaee Nanak bhookh na jaaee... - Without the Name, the mind has no firm support; O Nanak, its hunger never departs. The Guru has revealed the shop and the city within the home of my own heart, where I intuitively carry on the true trade. Sleep little, and eat little; O Nanak, this is the essence of wisdom (sggs 939).
· Alap ahaar sulbh see nidraa daya ke maakhan cheet - Eat less, sleep less, and keep your mind soft like butter with compassion (Paatshaahee 10).
· Naaty-ashnatas tu yogo sti na caikaantam anashnatah..... - There is no possibility of one's becoming a Yogi, O Arjuna, if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much or too little (Gita 6:16).
· Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God (Bible, Methew 4:4).
Undesirable diet and Naam Simran do not go hand-in-hand. Therefore, for a sincere devotee, it's not even worth thinking much about foods, let alone eating much! Because, if one subjects his body to overeating, not eating enough, or consuming undesirable diet (dead-animals, alcohol, smoking, etc.), he cannot meditate! Thinking of relishes and pleasures is indicative of bondage, sense-slavery, body-consciousness, or "I-am-the-body" idea. The only reason we are placed on earth is to transcend the sense-slavery!
· Jag mahi aaiaa so parvaan. Gurmukhi apnaa khasam pashaan - By becoming Gurmukh if you realize your Lord, then your coming into this world is approved (sggs 867).
However, in order to transcend material consciousness or sense-slavery so that our coming into this world is approved, we are urged to become Gurmukh (spiritual being). And to become Gurmukh we need every help we can get — we need to regulate everything in life including diet, company we keep, and so on. Until we become Self-realized, everything we do is in sense gratification. Why pour more fuel on blazing fire! Therefore, if we want to ascend ourselves to the more uplifting mode of goodness and beyond, we have to get into the habit of eating good, thinking good, speaking good and doing good. Otherwise body and mind will end up becoming a depository of sensual trash!
This is why the Gurbani compares all sensual pleasures with a "mirage", an illusion. Why? Because the cause of Jeeva's bondage is enjoyment of sense gratification. Accordingly, we are warned throughout the Gurbani not to indulge in sense pleasures. Instead, we are urged to use the tongue in repeating the Naam.
· Harichandauree chit bhram sakheeye mrig trisnaa dram chhaayaa. Chanchan saath na chaaltee sakheeye ant taji jaavat maya. Ras bhogan ati roop ras mate in sang sookh na paayaa - Maya is a mirage, which deludes the mind, O my companion, like the scent-crazed deer, or the transitory shade of a tree. Maya is fickle, and does not go with you, O my companion; in the end, it will leave you. One may enjoy pleasures and sensual delights with supremely beautiful women, but no one finds peace in this way (sggs 803).
Our needs are few, while our wants are almost limitless. However, instead of ministering only to our needs, in spiritual ignorance we create limitless wants and then spend rest of our life pursuing the false pleasures. Slowly but surely, we then become slave of our senses. In this context, this article will attempt to reflect on the following:
· Deep-Rooted Habits
· Material Nature
· 'Bhakh' And 'Abhakh'
· "Kill Your Ego, Not Other Beings": Says The Gurbani
· Effects Of Diet On Human Behavior
· Claiming To Be Equal To The Master
· On Vedas And Animal Sacrifice
· The Higher Taste: Moving From Animal To Divine Consciousness
Deep-Rooted Subconscious Habits
Instinctive mind is a bundle of habits or Vaasnaas. It is nothing but a collection of ever changing desires, notions or feelings arising from contact with gross objects. New habits are built into us from childhood. Some remain conscious and others enter our subconscious. Due to our habitual identifications with different objects, deep-rooted subconscious habits are most difficult to overcome.
A great one has said: "The power of habit is all supreme in the life of man. Many people go through life mentally making good resolutions, without ever succeeding in following what is wholesome. We usually do not do what we wish to do, what only what we are accustomed to do. That is why materially minded persons find it difficult to be spiritually minded even when they try hard. So also spiritual persons find it difficult to be materialistic even when they associate with materially minded people. It is not easy for vicious men to be good and it is hard for noble men to be mean."
Thus, the man is ruled by his deep-rooted subconscious habits. These habits, in turn, form tendencies, moods, and desires. Early habits formed in the childhood create significant influence on our growing up. These habits are generally formed watching parents, other family members, teachers, friends, etc. At early stage, if we are not taught to form spiritual habits, we are sure to form evil habits. Later on, the other factors that influence shaping our habits include environment and association. For example, undiscriminating association with the world creates bad habits in us.
· Jih karnee hovahi sarmindaa ih kamaanee reeti - You have made it your habit to practice those deeds which will bring you shame (sggs 673, ln 10).
· Kabir Ram na dhiyaayiyo motee laagee khor - Kabeer, I have not meditated on the Lord; such is the bad habit I have developed (sggs 1368).
Mind is slave to routine, customs, and habits. Once mind becomes accustomed to a habit, it then likes to go on doing it. Eventually, habits become like "grooves" in which actions run. More a habit is indulged in, it becomes much easier for the mind to run in that groove. After more repetitions, it begins to enjoy it. After that, the mind never wants to leave these beaten grooves or path. Some of these grooves are the results of impressions of our past lives, and some are the results of actions of this life.
Once a desire comes up, the mind becomes agitated and finds no peace till the desire is fulfilled. In order to fulfill a desire, the first thing mind does is it brings itself into the action and establishes a groove or habit. Once a groove is established, like a locomotive, it does not want to leave the track (or groove ) on which it is set. All this is because man feels that he can gain everlasting happiness from never-lasting material objects!
Material contamination of our mind begins with bad habits such as taste for intoxicants, craving for foods not conducive to spiritual progress (dead animals, egg, fish, etc.), illicit sex, gambling, stealing, and so on. In fact bad habits such as illicit sex, gambling, and stealing are all linked to consumption of intoxicants and undesirable foods. As the saying goes: "We are what we eat"!
Hence, what we eat and drink has tremendous effect on an ordinary person's mind and body. For example, consumption of food such as meat (dead animals) and intoxicants are generally very pleasing to an out-going mind indulged in material life. Conversely, such a diet has certainly no appeal to a sincere spiritual aspirant. Thus, diet is a function of an individual's choice based upon his goal in his life, that is, does one want to become God conscious and go back to his Source, or, does he want to live merely a nonsensical life? God has given us the free will to choose between these two. By the way, there is no mid-way!

This is all from SGGS that you cannot find.
I am not imposing this on anyone. Choice is yours.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Ranjit Singh ji,
One will have to draw a conclusion from your argument (Manmat) that either you are not sikh or if you were one by association then you do not yet understand the message of our beloved Gurus'.

Firstly HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF MANMAT!!

The only Manmat here is by Brahmanical people like you. You have contaiminated Sikhism with your Hindu Vaishnav agenda. I am normally polite to people here but since you have seen fit to accuse me, I will reply in kind.

If the decendants of Sodhi's and Bedi clans are non-vegeterians how does that reflect on our Guru's way of live and teachings. Do doubt our Guru's? Are you in a position to judge them?

The only person judging them is you by saying they ate a specific diet. I can provide historical sources that confirm that some Guru's were vegetarian and some were not, but I will not.

As for the descendents......this gives us a clear idea of what the traditions were within the clan.

Again do not make accusations against me.

I am attaching the hard work of one "Davinder Singh" who has toiled to compile the following excerpts from Our Gurus under the title "Diet and Spirituality. I now seek his permission to put this article on the board " for all those non-believers" (Wise guys) :

I can demonstrate clearly how incorrect Devinder "Singh"'s work is just from the first few lines of it.

The Sant-Mat propaganda posted by Ekh Musafir Ajnabi start with:

In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, people have faces like dogs;
they eat dead animals for food. They bark and speak, telling only lies;
Dharma and Vichaar have left them. Those who have no honor while alive,
will have an evil reputation after they die (sggs 1242).

This is clearly a mistranslation. There is no mention of "dead animals":

Again, let us put this into context:
salok mehlaa 1.
kal ho-ee kutay muhee khaaj ho-aa murdaar.
koorh bol bol bha-ukanaa chookaa Dharam beechaar.
jin jeevandi-aa pat nahee mu-i-aa mandee so-ay.
likhi-aa hovai naankaa kartaa karay so ho-ay.
Shalok, First Mehl:
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, people have faces like dogs; they eat rotting carcasses for food.
They bark and speak, telling only lies; all thought of righteousness has left them.
Those who have no honor while alive, will have an evil reputation after they die.
Whatever is predestined, happens, O Nanak; whatever the Creator does, comes to pass.
Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji

At first glance one notices that this paragraph is clearly a metaphor for people who behave like dogs. The dog is a scavenger, hunts in packs, fights within its pack, eats practically anything it can find etc etc. This entire Ang talks about people greed and those that lack honour when they are alive.
The second point to note is the mistranslation. Murdaar is not the word for meat. Murdaar is a reference to people who are dead. In other words people are acting so much like dogs that when people have died they gather round to get as much as they can. A good analogy would be inheritance, where is some instances people try and contest them or try and grab for themselves as much as they can. In India, it has not been unusual to murder siblings of inheritance disputes. In fact the word Murder in the English language has come from the word Murdaar.

If you wish to propagate falsehoods, then at least use verifiable sources, or you will be challenged. It sickens me to the stomach when people like you try and make the great Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji into a cheap a-la-carte menu of what we can and cannot eat...............this is no better than Sharia Law.

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Ranjit Singh ji,

Your outburst shows the spiritual state of your your mind. It is a scientifically proven fact that "You are what you eat". You can twist the Gurus word to justify your actions/views.

I still stand by the following:

................if you are a soul progressing towards enlightenment or have the desire to do so, then abstain from eating meat because it becomes a hurdle in the path spirituality .........................

Material contamination of our mind begins with bad habits such as taste for intoxicants, craving for foods not conducive to spiritual progress (dead animals, egg, fish, etc.), illicit sex, gambling, stealing, and so on. In fact bad habits such as illicit sex, gambling, and stealing are all linked to consumption of intoxicants and undesirable foods. As the saying goes: "We are what we eat"!
Hence, what we eat and drink has tremendous effect on an ordinary person's mind and body. For example, consumption of food such as meat (dead animals) and intoxicants are generally very pleasing to an out-going mind indulged in material life. Conversely, such a diet has certainly no appeal to a sincere spiritual aspirant. Thus, diet is a function of an individual's choice based upon his goal in his life, that is, does one want to become God conscious and go back to his Source, or, does he want to live merely a nonsensical life? God has given us the free will to choose between these two. By the way, there is no mid-way!

My spiritual journey is complete with the blessings of my GURU'S. I have nothing to gain from this argument of words.

As Bhagat Kabir ji said " Gyani ke hum Guru hain, Moorakh ke hum Daas".

However, I will offer you one piece of advice. Write on your practical experiences and not on hearsay or what someone else says. Seek the blessings of our beloved Gurus for the vision and guidance.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Ranjit Singh ji,

Your outburst shows the spiritual state of your your mind. It is a scientifically proven fact that "You are what you eat". You can twist the Gurus word to justify your actions/views.

You are some piece of work :rofl!!:

You accuse me of Manmat then have the ordasity of accusing me of outbursts.

The only person here twisting here is you, and I have adequately illustrated that by exposing your mistranslation and misreprepresentation. No need for further debate or argument.

...and it RANDIP Singh not Ranjit.......the difference between light and victory.

I still stand by the following:

My spiritual journey is complete with the blessings of my GURU'S. I have nothing to gain from this argument of words.

As Bhagat Kabir ji said " Gyani ke hum Guru hain, Moorakh ke hum Daas".

However, I will offer you one piece of advice. Write on your practical experiences and not on hearsay or what someone else says. Seek the blessings of our beloved Gurus for the vision and guidance.

I need no advice from people like you.

You claim to be A Sikh.....then act like one and learn instead of imposing your view on others.

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006
Propagandist nonsense.

Why are vegetarians so obsessed with what meat eaters eat?

Why don't they just mind their own business instead of bashing meat eaters all the time?

I could post here promoting the benefits of eating meat here too........how would you like that?

Infact I will!!
why is it that meat eaters are always so defensive of vegetarians and call them brahmins! we are trying to help u meat eaters from the goodness of our heart, what are u doijg for us? trying to corrupt our spirituaity and chances of merging with Waheguru? we're doing seva, we have nothing to lose, u have everything to lose, if u turn out to be wrong, this will hang over ur head for many more lifetimes. if we are wrong, it wont make a difference! lol, i really hope all u who argue against this know what ur doing because ur potentially false words may effect MANY people and their chances of salvation.......

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
"The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom. What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin? It was the habit of the gods to kill the rhinoceros, and make a feast of the burnt offering. Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night. They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom. O Nanak, what can be said to the blind people? They cannot answer, or even understand what is said. They alone are blind, who act blindly. They have no eyes in their hearts. They are produced from the blood of their mothers and fathers, but they do not eat fish or meat." - Guru Granth Sahib (Page 1289)

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
It's okay to eat meat if you are a Sikh.

Rehat Maryada:

The undermentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided

1. Dishonouring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one's spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

Sikh Reht Maryada, The Definition of Sikh, Sikh Conduct & Conventions, Sikh Religion Living, India

See, only religious prepared meat is forbidden in Sikhi.

The last time I remember, Sikhs believe everything has a life including plants. So technically speaking, you are also killing a life when you eat your vegetables.

Lions only eat meat; Brahmin only eats vegetables. So are you a Sher (Lion) or Brahmin? Seriously, people need to stop “Hinduization” the Sikh religion.

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
the jatt is a name given to a section of people who are farmers to show them their state in society. It shows them who is higher and who is lower. The guru's preached that there should be no caste system and that all humans are equal in this sense. Anyways, the caste system was formed from hindu mythology on which body parts humans where created from a hindu God. Truly when you say you are a Jatt or a Khatri, or chamar w/e you're falling into believing their mythology...:advocate:
excerpt from wikipedia : search caste

The original meaning of caste, which was also known as varna, was determined by one's spiritual qualities and occupation according to the Vedas. Over time, the caste system became a traditional, hereditary system of social stratification.
The traditional hereditary system of social stratification of India, in which all social classes exist in thousands of endogamous groups is termed jāti. The jati system, usually with politically and economically derived hierarchies, has been followed across the Indian subcontinent with regional variations across India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal. Different religious denominations have traditionally followed different kinds of jati stratification. While the prevalence of the jati system has declined significantly over the course of the twentieth century, remote and rural areas of the subcontinent continue to subscribe to jati and jati segregation.
Caste, on the other hand is a theoretical construct of the Brahmin scholars to describe and categorise (varna) the complex social arrangement of which they were themselves a part. In the absence of any other better word, Varna was translated as caste by the Europeans, with its connotations of racial purity (see Casta). Contrary to popular belief, historically there was a great deal of mobility and intermingling between Indian castes, other than Brahmins, largely based on economic or political status of the concerned group.
The Brahmins were enjoined by their scriptures and texts, including the Manusmriti, to live in poverty and to shun possessions and temporal power and instead devote themselves to study and teaching of scriptures and other knowledge, pure conduct and spiritual growth. In fact, they usually subsisted on alms from the rest of the society, including the so called backward caste of "Shudras". This is an important point in understanding the difference between caste and class[2]. Caste became an important element of Indian politics after the British used the entirely theoretical construct of varna, now caste, as the basis of classifying the Indian population, especially the Hindus, in the population censuses of late 19th Century. This became more specific in the 1901 Census, because the Indian population, not being aware of what the Brahmins thought of them, by and large did not understand what was meant by "caste" and gave their occupation, religion, education etc as their "caste"[2] . In the 1901 Census, the people were asked to slot themselves, or were slotted by enumerators, as members of the specific castes of Brahmin, Khshatriya, Vaishya, Shudra etc . This was ostensibly done to simplify an otherwise difficult to slot society, with subtle hierarchies, for the purposes of better statistical manipulation.
Thus,a purely theoretical construct of "varna" or "caste" now became a living entity and got embedded in the minds of intellectuals and common people alike as an "ancient" system of social segregation.
It did not take much time to become a significant political issue in India and members of certain castes often form Votebanks that subscribe to special interest political parties.

The Indian caste system, prevalent also among local Muslims and Christians, exhibits some differences from those of other countries. Elsewhere, the separation between one group and the other is usually along racial lines[citation needed]. Within India, that is not so. Nor is there any discernable dichotomy (white/black or high/low) because the caste system forms a continuum that defies such ready definition. While many lower-caste people live in conditions of great poverty and social disadvantage, many upper-caste Brahmins too are poor and now disadvantaged politically. Efforts by the Indian government to emancipate the lower castes with affirmative action like reservations in education, jobs and promotions have achieved some success, although the benefits have tended to be cornered by the well-off "Creamy Layer" of lower castes.
The concept of 'upper' and 'lower' caste is therefore a matter of social standing and assimilation rather than anything based on wealth or influence [citation needed]. Even in this age, some castes do not allow other caste members, whom they consider to be "lower" to touch them, and would have washed themselves or their possessions if they had been touched by someone from a "lower" caste [citation needed]. In some parts of India, there was the practice of defining the physical distance one should keep from persons of another caste. As a result of this, children who attended a school where children of lower castes were present had to bathe in running water before returning home. In some parts of the world, as well as in India, such discrimination still exists, though it is punishable by law and unconstitutional in India. The Indian constitution was drafted by Ambedkar, himself of low-caste origins, who is regarded as an emancipator of the Dalits.
Loss of caste could occur if individuals strayed from the norms of behavior expected of them; for instance, if one married a person belonging to another caste[citation needed]. Despite the prosletysing efforts of Christian missionaries, the fact is that converts rarely achieve emancipation from the caste system to gain an equal social standing with people of privilege. Even among converts, matrimony between members of different castes is rare, although it is not unknown.
A detailed analysis of the caste system, Castes in India: Their Mechanism, Genesis and Development in India[3] was presented by Dr. B. R. Ambedkar in his doctoral paper at the Columbia University.
[edit] Mythical origin of castes

Main article: Purusha sukta
This is a unique verse as it is the only one in the ancient Brahminical Veda scriptures that has a mention of Varna. This may seem rather strange, given the preponderence of caste in India. But once we recognise that the Indian society was Jati based and the Varna system was a later Brahminical interpretation of that society, this anomaly becomes understandable.
In the Puranas, it is said[citation needed] that the creative force of the universe, Brahma, created some humans from his mouth — they became reciters of the Veda and became the Brahmins. Then he created other humans from his arms, they became the Kshatriyas, bearers of arms, the warrior and ruling class. Brahma then created some from his abdomen, who became the Vaishyas or merchants. Finally, Brahma created humans from his feet. They served the other castes even as the feet serve the man; they came to become the Sudras (manual labourers and artisans). Thus, the whole universe is held to be one organic entity, the body of the almighty.
Most scholars are agreed that the caste system was not rigid, including in the early vedic times[citation needed]. Change of one's caste could be effected by all except Brahmins, by changing one's vocation and acquiring new skills, or gaining economic or political power[citation needed].
[edit] Jāti

Main article: Jāti
Major castes were subdivided into hundreds of sub-castes or jātis. Castes were based on occupation [citation needed]. Endogamous marriage (including polyandry) and other association within caste was strongly enforced.
  • Sub-castes within a group of jat ("birth" as opposed to varna) were called jāti [citation needed]
  • Jāti members were allowed to marry only with their jāti [citation needed].
  • People were born into their jāti; this status couldn't be changed, unless through marriage or under rare circumstances. [citation needed]
  • Each jāti was part of a local system of interdependence with other groups, involving occupational specialization, and was linked in complex ways with networks that stretched across regions.
For example, in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, states of South India, castes based on occupation would include: asari (carpenters), thattar (goldsmiths), muusaari (coppersmiths), karuvar (ironsmiths), ambattar (clothes-washers), parayar (cobblers) and so on.

J.A.T.T

SPNer
May 7, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Umm I find it funny how you search "caste" on Wikipedia instead of Jatt.

"The Jat people (IAST: Jāṭ, Hindi: जाट, Punjabi: ਜੱਟ جاٹ, Urdu: جاٹ‎) of Northern India and Pakistan, are descendants of Indo-Aryan/Indo-Scythian tribes.[1] [2] [3]

Jats were designated in a British report as a Martial Race[4]. 'Martial Race' was a designation created by officials of British India to describe "races" (peoples) that were thought to possess qualities such as courage, loyalty, self sufficiency, physical strength, resilience, orderliness, hard working, fighting tenacity and military tactics. The British recruited heavily from these so-called 'Martial Races' for service in the colonial army[5]."

Jat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, let's not get off topic here.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
what a scare tactic....what IF you are wrong ?? Same is used to force superstitious people to read raagmaala..What if it was Gurbani and you didnt read it ??

Diet is a NON ISSUE. Period. All this spirituality nonsense under the guise of "diet" is sheer nonsense of the worst kind. Those who "reveal" they are more spiritual etc JUST ...because they eat grass..got to read Gurbani properly...so many EXAMPLES given of such behaviour. IF abstaining from SEX could lead to spirituality..what about the SEXLESS ?? IF bathing alone led to spirituality..what about FROGS ?? If shaving alone led to spirituality..what about SHEEP ?? IF wondering in forests led to spirituality..what about Deer and other wild animals ?? Again and again GURBANI REVEALS the SECRETS of Real Spirituality..but the foolish sink into one sinkhole after another...now they still have SANTS/BABAS claiming they are CELIBATE ( and so more spiritual than you and me married householders ), we still have MONI BABAS who claim silence elads to spirituality...and we have the grass eaters who claim eating grass leads to spirituality....Grass is for cows and goats and sheep...( and North Koreans) Civilised people the world over eat what they like..BUT with MODERATION.

2. JEEBH da swaad..i have heard countless grass eaters saying..wah weah this KHEER is heavenly... this Makee dee roti and saag was so relishing..dont the grass eaters put spices and salt and condiments and massals in their daals and sabzees to MAKE for JEEBH DA SWAAD ??

Sorry folks..diet is a NON ISSUE. Stick to Gurbani for spirituality..nt what we eat or dont eat.

Gyani jarnail Singh

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM