• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Diet And Nutrition

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Do you want a six pack :}{}{}: or do you just want to get in shape?
Well, you've come to the right place!

They say abs are made in the kitchen. :)
They also say shape is made in the kichen.:rofl!!:
No, but having a nutritional diet is a great way to get into shape, along with some good ol' exercise.
Like this guy -
2784694493_98252f4a68_o.jpg

ironman+singh.jpg
This image may have been edited without the discretion of the author...random mumbo jumbo... results after following the meal plans provided, may vary.

Here's where you come in Randip Singh ji! :yes: Take it away!!!

And I don't know why I always start threads in the Sikh Youth section.:p

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I propose we split the Topic into various areas concerning diet:

• Diets Containing Meat and Health
  • Ovo-Lactose Diets and Health (Milk and Eggs)
  • Vegetarian (No Eggs) Diets and Health
  • Vegan Diets and Health
  • Supplements
Lets kick off with the essential for maintaining a good body. What are they? For example Proteins (Amino's - Types), Carbohydrates, Sugars.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
List of essential nutrients

See also: dietary minerals
The body's requirements vary widely. At one extreme a 70 kg human contains 1.0 kg of calcium but only 3 mg of cobalt.[10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_nutrient

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Sugars are cabohydrates lol
Monosaccharides are the major source of fuel for metabolism, being used both as an energy source (glucose being the most important in nature) and in biosynthesis. When monosaccharides are not immediately needed by many cells they are often converted to mosre space efficient forms, often polysaccharides. In many animals, including humans, this form is glycerol, expecially in liver nad muscle cells.

Proteins:
Most microorganisms and plants can biosynthesize all 20 standard amino acids, while animals, (including humans) must obtain some of the amino acids from the diet.[14] Key enzymes in the biosynthetic pathways that synthesize certain amino acids - such as aspartokinase, which catalyzes the first step in the synthesis of lysine, methionine, and threonine from aspartate - are not present in animals. The amino acids that an organism cannot synthesize on its own are referred to as essential amino acids. If amino acids are present in the environment, microorganisms can conserve energy by taking up the amino acids from their surroundings and downregulating their biosynthetic pathways.
In animals, amino acids are obtained through the consumption of foods containing protein. Ingested proteins are broken down through digestion, which typically involves denaturation of the protein through exposure to acid and hydrolysis by enzymes called proteases. Some ingested amino acids are used for protein biosynthesis, while others are converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis, or fed into the citric acid cycle. This use of protein as a fuel is particularly important under starvation conditions as it allows the body's own proteins to be used to support life, particularly those found in muscle.[24] Amino acids are also an important dietary source of nitrogen.

Fats
Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble, meaning they can only be digested, absorbed, and transported in conjunction with fats. Fats are also sources of essential fatty acids, an important dietary requirement.
Fats play a vital role in maintaining healthy skin and hair, insulating body organs against shock, maintaining body temperature, and promoting healthy cell function. They also serve as energy stores for the body. Fats are broken down in the body to release glycerol and free fatty acids. The glycerol can be converted to glucose by the liver and thus used as a source of energy.
The fat content of a food can be analyzed by extraction. The exact method varies on what type of fat to be analyzed—for example, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are tested quite differently.
Fat also serves as a useful buffer towards a host of diseases. When a particular substance, whether chemical or biotic—reaches unsafe levels in the bloodstream, the body can effectively dilute—or at least maintain equilibrium of—the offending substances by storing it in new fat tissue. This helps to protect vital organs, until such time as the offending substances can be metabolized and/or removed from the body by such means as excretion, urination, accidental or intentional bloodletting, sebum excretion, and hair growth.
While it is nearly impossible to remove fat completely from the diet, it would be unhealthy to do so. Some fatty acids are essential nutrients, meaning that they can't be produced in the body from other compounds and need to be consumed in small amounts. All other fats required by the body are non-essential and can be produced in the body from other compounds.

Vitamins

Vitamins are essential for the normal growth and development of a multicellular organism. Using the genetic blueprint inherited from its parents, a fetus begins to develop, at the moment of conception, from the nutrients it absorbs. It requires certain vitamins and minerals to be present at certain times. These nutrients facilitate the chemical reactions that produce among other things, skin, bone, and muscle. If there is serious deficiency in one or more of these nutrients, a child may develop a deficiency disease. Even minor deficiencies may cause permanent damage.[25]
For the most part, vitamins are obtained with food, but a few are obtained by other means. For example, microorganisms in the intestine—commonly known as "gut flora"—produce vitamin K and biotin, while one form of vitamin D is synthesized in the skin with the help of natural ultraviolet in sunlight. Humans can produce some vitamins from precursors they consume. Examples include vitamin A, produced from beta carotene, and niacin, from the amino acidtryptophan.[14]
Once growth and development are completed, vitamins remain essential nutrients for the healthy maintenance of the cells, tissues, and organs that make up a multicellular organism; they also enable a multicellular life form to efficiently use chemical energy provided by food it eats, and to help process the proteins, carbohydrates, and fats required for respiration.

This is all from wikipedia BTW.

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
I'm sorry but that individual is not a Sikh (please I am not being blasphemous here), he is actually a south United Statian and uses steroids. His full biography can be found on bodybuilding.com and his picture has been distributed before.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I'm sorry but that individual is not a Sikh (please I am not being blasphemous here), he is actually a south United Statian and uses steroids. His full biography can be found on bodybuilding.com and his picture has been distributed before.
lol ur not, we knew that already. His kara looks fake. :wink:

Does he wear a turban and keep a beard though?

uresunny

SPNer
Mar 8, 2008
good to see u al guys, eager to get in the shape, but its very easy to search it on the internet,,,,, but it exactly the opposite, wen it comes the get those six packs, .... be practile,
http://www.orkut.co.in/Home.aspx
check out my pics, here, then u ll see a real surd vid six packs, hehehe not some fake pic, :happy:

Moderators Request:
uresunny Ji,

Could you repost your second pic sunny 1 by down sizing it first. I could not do it from my end. Thanks.

From namjap

Attachments

• ATgAAAAT41xPQ5djhJOeWrlxI416PAfkDew_6F3AQhM0BdiGWOFiItdyyY5PZUJazLLr8Eq_3TODWhglCGgpNOLOQJoKAJtU.jpg
    ATgAAAAT41xPQ5djhJOeWrlxI416PAfkDew_6F3AQhM0BdiGWOFiItdyyY5PZUJazLLr8Eq_3TODWhglCGgpNOLOQJoKAJtU.jpg
    24.5 KB · Reads: 1,008

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

• Vegan Diets and Health
  • Supplements
Lets kick off with the essential for maintaining a good body. What are they? For example Proteins (Amino's - Types), Carbohydrates, Sugars.

Randip ji

I was waiting to see how the thread unfolded. But actually -- I am all for several threads on the above topics and will probably start them myself. And once long ago wanted DrKhalsaji to contribute his medical expertise. But he said he didn't know very much about diet regimens :wink: This thread looks like it is going to be about personal experiences, testimonies, , chap-chat, tips, hints for being in shape based on member experiences, etc.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

• Vegan Diets and Health
  • Supplements

Randip ji

I was waiting to see how the thread unfolded. But actually -- I am all for several threads on the above topics and will probably start them myself. And once long ago wanted DrKhalsaji to contribute his medical expertise. But he said he didn't know very much about diet regimens :wink: This thread looks like it is going to be about personal experiences, testimonies, chap-chat, tips, hints for being in shape based on member experiences, etc.

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Nutrition in Ayurveda

Sat Nam everybody!

I´m back from my holidays and have a question about nutrition in ayurveda. I spent one week in a yoga ashram and a doctor who is trained in ayurvedic medicine gave me a dosha diagnosis. I turned out to be pitta in constitution but more kapha in my condition right now. However, I happen to have problems from each side. I read somethings about how to selfheal yourself trough right nutrition, taking in or avoiding certain food according to your dosha.
In this enquiry I found out that foods that decreas kapha will increase pitta and vice versa. If I should avoid both to get some benefit there isn´t much left to eat for me. :8-:)

Now my question: Does anyone of you know something more about ayurveda and is able to help me with that?
Thank you in advance.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Re: Nutrition in Ayurveda

Sat Nam everybody!

I´m back from my holidays and have a question about nutrition in ayurveda. I spent one week in a yoga ashram and a doctor who is trained in ayurvedic medicine gave me a dosha diagnosis. I turned out to be pitta in constitution but more kapha in my condition right now. However, I happen to have problems from each side. I read somethings about how to selfheal yourself trough right nutrition, taking in or avoiding certain food according to your dosha.
In this enquiry I found out that foods that decreas kapha will increase pitta and vice versa. If I should avoid both to get some benefit there isn´t much left to eat for me. :8-:)

Now my question: Does anyone of you know something more about ayurveda and is able to help me with that?
Thank you in advance.

Well I read about ayurveda and one thing I learnt is that best thing is just be your own doctor.Try to Eat food that suits you Not the one you read in books.Also Majority of Ayurvedic doctors are Vaishnav hindu's so they mix their vegetarianism with Diet
and tell you that non veg is posion.That make's ayurvedic theory incomplete because a doctor should be open minded and should not be biased.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

svea ji

A quick answer to your question. I am also kapha/pitta -- with periodic outbreaks of too much pitta. So similar problems as you have. There is a kapha/pitta diet. Let me see if I can root it out.

You can send a private message to forum member snowleopard ji who has formal training in aryuvedic diet and health. :) Make sure you tell her that I am the one who sent you so she has a context for the question.

YOu can scroll to page 128 on this link to find out a little about it. The trick is to balance which of the doshas is out of balance. Also there are seasonal aspects to balancing each of the doshas, with different diet regimens.

The link
http://books.google.com/books?id=Xs...X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA129,M1

I would like to get a few threads started on this as well because aryuveda is uncanny in its ability to pin-point dietary issues.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
good to see u al guys, eager to get in the shape, but its very easy to search it on the internet,,,,, but it exactly the opposite, wen it comes the get those six packs, .... be practile,
check out my pics, here, then u ll see a real surd vid six packs, hehehe not some fake pic, :happy:
Hehe nice six pack, have a pic with all the hair on your six pack? put it up if you do. :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

svea ji

A quick answer to your question. I am also kapha/pitta -- with periodic outbreaks of too much pitta. So similar problems as you have.

You can send a private message to forum member snowleopard ji who has formal training in aryuvedic diet and health. :) Make sure you tell her that I am the one who sent you so she has a context for the question.

I would like to get a few threads started on this as well because aryuveda is uncanny in its ability to pin-point dietary issues.

Then I guess we can't use it....:whisling:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Moderators Request:
uresunny Ji,

Could you repost your second pic sunny 1 by down sizing it first. I could not do it from my end. Thanks.

From namjap

wow cool body. You are a credit to the the Sikh ideal. Well done :thumbup:

uresunny

SPNer
Mar 8, 2008
here they r, i ll soon upload my new pics, . m trying to get back in shape, soon, ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: