• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Diet And Nutrition

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Not necessarily, it depends. Cardio before and after have differeing effects:

http://www.outlawfitnesshq.com/cardio-before-or-after-weights

Thanks, that's a very good link. This Josh guy sounds pretty good and seems to explain the false myths quite clearly.
I go to the gym and always leave confused when I start asking questions, as 1 week I will hear something good and then change my routine and then the next, I will hear the opposite.
My personal trainer normally seems quite neutral, he will reference people that do things both ways, but he usually favours the ones done his way!!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Thanks, that's a very good link. This Josh guy sounds pretty good and seems to explain the false myths quite clearly.
I go to the gym and always leave confused when I start asking questions, as 1 week I will hear something good and then change my routine and then the next, I will hear the opposite.
My personal trainer normally seems quite neutral, he will reference people that do things both ways, but he usually favours the ones done his way!!

Lucky get a routine that suits you.

My routine is as follows

1st Day - Chest

- 15 minutes run....run 1 mile in under 10 mins.

-flat - bar or barbell
-incline
-decline
-flat flyes
-pull over

x 4 x 10

2nd Day - Back

- 15 minutes run....run 1 mile in under 10 mins.

- Deadlift
- seated row
-lat pull down
-bent over row
-reverse cable cross over
-best over dumbell flyes

x 4 x 10

3rd Day Shoulders

- 15 minutes run....run 1 mile in under 10 mins

-dumbell press (seated)
-behind the neck press
-standing dumbell flyes followed by upright rows (giant set)
-cable flyes.
-front raise

x 4 x 10

4th day Arms

- Bent bar curls
-straight bar curls
-45 degree seated twisting dumbell curls
-close grip bench
-lying tricep extension
-cable - pull downs with varing bars

x 4 x 10

5th Day Legs

- Squats with bar
-lunges
-leg press
-leg extension
-leg curl

x 4 x 10

You can have a day's rest in between

I do stomach every day.

For recovery I recommend recovery xs from www.myprotein.com

Also here is a directoryy for exercise with illustrations:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
well done if you are vegetarian too, as it is evenn more difficult to gain muscle. By vegetarian you mean no eggs either?

I think this is quite an old school thought about putting on muscle is more difficult for vegetarians.

from what i understand, When you eat meat it contains complete protein (all essential amino acids). when you eat meat, your digestive system has to break down the protein into all the individual aminos which then move through the body.

When you eat vegetables that contain protein, your getting the same amino acids, but a couple may be missing, so you mix the tupe of vegetables/fruit/bread etc that you eat, and you end up with the same indiviual amino's in your bloodstream.

Also, the amino acids in many fruit and veg come as 'individual amino acids' so your body doesnt need to break them down like with meat protein strands. the amino acids are already free amino acids. therefore better for your digestive system.

just from my undersdtanding....i'm not an expert :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Un-cooked food

An uncooked fresh apple already contains the exact amount of digestive enzymes required to digest the apple. When we eat an uncooked apple, our digestive system doesnt need to provide any digestive enzymes to digest the apple, the apple already provides this. therefore we feel light, fresh and our digestive system is calm and relaxed.

If we cook the apple, all digestive enzymes are destroyed by the heat. When we eat the cooked apple, our body has to send a lot of blood to our digestive system to provide the enzymes that are required for digestion. As a result we feel tired (less blood to the brain) and feel lethargic. much more work required by the body to digest and less blood in other areas of the body that would normally be there repairing, re-generating etc.

The more uncooked food we eat, the better our overal health.
if our diet is predominately cooked heavy food like meat, our digestive system is over-worked and our health deteriorates.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I think this is quite an old school thought about putting on muscle is more difficult for vegetarians.

from what i understand, When you eat meat it contains complete protein (all essential amino acids). when you eat meat, your digestive system has to break down the protein into all the individual aminos which then move through the body.

When you eat vegetables that contain protein, your getting the same amino acids, but a couple may be missing, so you mix the tupe of vegetables/fruit/bread etc that you eat, and you end up with the same indiviual amino's in your bloodstream.

Also, the amino acids in many fruit and veg come as 'individual amino acids' so your body doesnt need to break them down like with meat protein strands. the amino acids are already free amino acids. therefore better for your digestive system.

just from my undersdtanding....i'm not an expert :)

It's not old school.

Let me give you an example:

Whey the by product of curdled milk has always been used by the old boys. Now its whet isolate this and whey isolate that.

Creatine is used by all athletes. It's ONLY found in red meat, or supllement form. I prefer to use natural diet whever I can hence I will use red meat.

In terms of digestion it depends what you are trying to do. If you want a slow break down and stay full, then read meat is best. Hell the plains Americans ate this all the time. The reason why they were so fit was their activity levels. The old boys knew this as well and I remember my grandfather talking about "Kharaak" in red meat.

If you want protein that breaks down more easlily then fish/chicken is very lean. Eggs and egg whites are excellent.

Other proteins that are fairly good are nuts but contain a lot of fat.

Vegetables and fibre are good too. Vegetables steamed preferably.

The key is balance. Whatever you eat make sure you have balance. If your a lacto-vegetarian make sure you supllement more to get the things you are missing in your diet. Ovo-lacto vegetarians tend to be Ok, but may need some creatine.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Here's the diet of Hrithik Roshan if you want that sort of look. Notice that Steak is in there. Red meat is very much current school:

http://www.motleyhealth.com/celeb/hrithik-roshans-workouts-and-diet

Hrithik Roshan’s Diet
While working with Kris he radically changed his diet. He started eating healthy carbohydrates (broccoli, sprouts, spinach with a little rice or pasta) as well as oatmeal and salads. For protein he had around 00 grams of lean meat each day (steaks, turkey, fish). He eats a lot of eggs (7 egg whites and 2 yolks a day). During his training he also consumed a lot of protein supplements as well as glutamine and multivitamins, which are vital for ensuring that the body functions optimally at all times.
His snacks are healthy now, even after his training is complete. He often eats pancakes made from protein powder and banana splits with protein powder and yogurt.
Hrithik Roshan was so impressed with the knowledge and the results that Kris Gethin delivered to him that he has vowed to take this information and educated all of India. This may sound extraordinaty, but it is a feat that only a Bollyood megastar could possibly achieve.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
It's not old school.

Let me give you an example:

Whey the by product of curdled milk has always been used by the old boys. Now its whet isolate this and whey isolate that.

Creatine is used by all athletes. It's ONLY found in red meat, or supllement form. I prefer to use natural diet whever I can hence I will use red meat.

In terms of digestion it depends what you are trying to do. If you want a slow break down and stay full, then read meat is best. Hell the plains Americans ate this all the time. The reason why they were so fit was their activity levels. The old boys knew this as well and I remember my grandfather talking about "Kharaak" in red meat.

If you want protein that breaks down more easlily then fish/chicken is very lean. Eggs and egg whites are excellent.

Other proteins that are fairly good are nuts but contain a lot of fat.

Vegetables and fibre are good too. Vegetables steamed preferably.

The key is balance. Whatever you eat make sure you have balance. If your a lacto-vegetarian make sure you supllement more to get the things you are missing in your diet. Ovo-lacto vegetarians tend to be Ok, but may need some creatine.

Sorry Ji,

I was referring more to a vegetarian diet compared to a meat diet.

Yes, meat will digest slower, but thats because it requires lots of blood and enzymes from your white blood cells, so it is very taxing for your body...you want more blood providing the amoni acids to yout muscles and cells rather than be pumped into your digestive system to digest the food.

So for overall heath, good skin, good cell repair, organ function, having a digestive system that is not overworked is best. and having as many raw foods helps keep your digestive system work efficiently as raw food already have the digestive enzymes in them.

Slow digesting proteins are good in that they supply a nice amount of proteins to aid muscle regeneration, but even if you get too many amino acids quickly (more than the body needs), the liver will store the amino acids (amino acid pool) and release them as and when required.

Any amount of Red meat is bad for you...results from a long-range study showed even eating it once a week severely damages your health
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17345967

Nuts are a good source of many of the amino acids, and most only contain 'good fats' these fats are 'used' by the body and generally wont be 'stored' by the body. and also lower cholesterol.

ofcourse balance is key...but my original points were geared towards keeping healthy on a vegetarian diet.

god bless all.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Sorry Ji,

I was referring more to a vegetarian diet compared to a meat diet.

Yes, meat will digest slower, but thats because it requires lots of blood and enzymes from your white blood cells, so it is very taxing for your body...you want more blood providing the amoni acids to yout muscles and cells rather than be pumped into your digestive system to digest the food.

So for overall heath, good skin, good cell repair, organ function, having a digestive system that is not overworked is best. and having as many raw foods helps keep your digestive system work efficiently as raw food already have the digestive enzymes in them.

Slow digesting proteins are good in that they supply a nice amount of proteins to aid muscle regeneration, but even if you get too many amino acids quickly (more than the body needs), the liver will store the amino acids (amino acid pool) and release them as and when required.

Any amount of Red meat is bad for you...results from a long-range study showed even eating it once a week severely damages your health

Nuts are a good source of many of the amino acids, and most only contain 'good fats' these fats are 'used' by the body and generally wont be 'stored' by the body. and also lower cholesterol.

ofcourse balance is key...but my original points were geared towards keeping healthy on a vegetarian diet.

god bless all.

I've read that study, and it confirms what I am saying i.e. red meat can be eaten as part of a balanced diet:

Victoria Taylor, a dietitian at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Red meat can still be eaten as part of a balanced diet, but go for the leaner cuts and use healthier cooking methods such as grilling.
She suggested adding more variation to your diet with "other protein sources such as fish, poultry, beans or lentils."

and this is too a daily diet not a balanced diet:

They said that during the study period, adding an extra portion of unprocessed red meat to someone's daily diet would increase the risk of death by 13%, of fatal cardiovascular disease by 18% and of cancer mortality by 10%. The figures for processed meat were higher, 20% for overall mortality, 21% for death from heart problems and 16% for cancer mortality.

Only crazy people would eat red meat everyday. Only crazy people would eat nuts everyday. Only crazy people would eat sugar everyday...etc etc.

What I am saying is you can eat red meat in balance. Let me give you another example. Too many vegetables in contrast can give you digestive problems:

http://summertomato.com/too-many-ve...-digestive-problems-caused-by-healthy-eating/

too much fruit as well can be bad:

http://drbenkim.com/articles-fruit.html

Too many nuts are bad for you:

http://chriskresser.com/another-reason-you-shouldnt-go-nuts-on-nuts

The key always is a balanced diet:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx

For me I eat red meat no more than twive a month. That has to be organic and grass fed.

Vegetables and fruit everyday, but ususally with protein like chicken, fish or egg whites.

I used to bench over 150 kgs and Squatted 200kg's. It seemed to work for me :) icecreammunda

I'm over 40 and still regurlarly bench 100 kilo's and run over 15 miles a week. I have cut down on squat but deadlift 100 kilo's too.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I've read that study, and it confirms what I am saying i.e. red meat can be eaten as part of a balanced diet:

Victoria Taylor, a dietitian at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Red meat can still be eaten as part of a balanced diet, but go for the leaner cuts and use healthier cooking methods such as grilling.
She suggested adding more variation to your diet with "other protein sources such as fish, poultry, beans or lentils."

and this is too a daily diet not a balanced diet:

They said that during the study period, adding an extra portion of unprocessed red meat to someone's daily diet would increase the risk of death by 13%, of fatal cardiovascular disease by 18% and of cancer mortality by 10%. The figures for processed meat were higher, 20% for overall mortality, 21% for death from heart problems and 16% for cancer mortality.

What I am saying is you can eat red meat in balance. Let me give you another example. Too many vegetables in contrast can give you digestive problems:

http://summertomato.com/too-many-ve...-digestive-problems-caused-by-healthy-eating/

too much fruit as well can be bad:

http://drbenkim.com/articles-fruit.html

The key always is a balanced diet:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx

For me I eat red meat no more than twive a month. That has to be organic and grass fed.

Vegetables and fruit everyday, but ususally with protein like chicken, fish or egg whites.

I used to bench over 150 kgs and Squatted 200kg's. It seemed to workd for me :) icecreammunda
Yup, i don't dissagree.

up until 3 years ago, i used to be a full on meat eater...i had my george forman grill (no need for anyone to cook for me lol )...pop into tesco, get a whole load of meat/fish etc and eat it everyday.

in the end the george forman got the best of me and i got sick of eating meat...decided to come of it for a couple of weeks and havnt had any since (been three years) - actually thats a lie... i have a portion of fish now a week...but thats it.

From my own experience i started eating more raw fruit and veg - whey protein shake (once a day) - lots of nuts....lentils, beans...
and i didnt notice any negatives with putting muscle on...had more energy...felt lighter...less bloated...overall much healthier.

enzymes keep your body ticking...the more your body has to waste on diesting your food on extremely heavy and cooked food, the quicker your enzyme stores deplete....this ends in disease.

but you seem to be doing ok with the balance...
but theres people out there who have cooked meals morning, lunch and dinner and very little raw food...this is baaaad :)

god bless

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Yup, i don't dissagree.

up until 3 years ago, i used to be a full on meat eater...i had my george forman grill (no need for anyone to cook for me lol )...pop into tesco, get a whole load of meat/fish etc and eat it everyday.

in the end the george forman got the best of me and i got sick of eating meat...decided to come of it for a couple of weeks and havnt had any since (been three years) - actually thats a lie... i have a portion of fish now a week...but thats it.

From my own experience i started eating more raw fruit and veg - whey protein shake (once a day) - lots of nuts....lentils, beans...
and i didnt notice any negatives with putting muscle on...had more energy...felt lighter...less bloated...overall much healthier.

enzymes keep your body ticking...the more your body has to waste on diesting your food on extremely heavy and cooked food, the quicker your enzyme stores deplete....this ends in disease.

but you seem to be doing ok with the balance...
but theres people out there who have cooked meals morning, lunch and dinner and very little raw food...this is baaaad :)

god bless

I agree on the bloatedness.....too muc meat messes you up.

If you must eat meat then ALWAYS organic. The rest is pumped full of crap. Also the same with beg and fruit ....always organic. Find a good butcher.

Eat frequently but small amounts.

Steam stuff. With sabjee my Mum's steams the veg then adds to cooked Toorkaah to coat. You keep all the nutrients although veg is a little harder.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I agree on the bloatedness.....too muc meat messes you up.

If you must eat meat then ALWAYS organic. The rest is pumped full of crap. Also the same with beg and fruit ....always organic. Find a good butcher.

Eat frequently but small amounts.

Steam stuff. With sabjee my Mum's steams the veg then adds to cooked Toorkaah to coat. You keep all the nutrients although veg is a little harder.

Good advice :)

steaming is great for retaining as much vitamins and minerals...

BUT and there's always a but lol

any kind of cooking kills the digestive enzymes found in the food...so our body has to use the limited amount of enzymes we are born with...when this store starts to run out...expect health issues, organ failure, bad skin regenration, slow healing of damage. etc etc

enzymes are the key to prolonged and healthy life...
lose your enzymes and your health deteriorates. for us that means too many cooked meals and not a higher amount of raw food and our enzymes become depleted...every process in our body requires a good supply of enzymes

http://healthylifetube.com/article.php?ID=28

of course we cannot live by just eating raw food..some of our meals will be cooked...but that still puts our bodies under major stress to digest.

enzyme supplements can be taken when we eat a cooked meal to help, and have a good supply of raw fruit and veg. if you do this, you'll feel the difference pretty much emmediately and the long term effects, well, it means a healthier body for longer.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Some perfect points there. I can now agree and understand all the good points for eating raw food. I do need to increase my intake, as I haven't been too good.
This is a good useful thread, because all I keep busy with is gym, and after work out I try and be sensible with diet, spend evenings doing either gurbani,meditation,music with some kirtan, reading and a few movies here and there- that is my SAD busy life!!!!

All the negative effects on health are mostly self inflicted, I believe, in reference to diet.
Some very good and useful points from Randip ji and Chazji.

The problem with me is that I will start doing gym sessions religously for a while, like 7 days continuous of 3-4 hrs total/day. Then after a week, I will foolishly stop and reward my self with all the naughty foods like nachos, popcorn, fries, chips(crisps) with dips, cans and cans of cola, energy drinks, ginger ale....etc.. This happens for about 3-4 days to a week and then I go back to the hardcore workout week.

In all honesty, i find that I keep repeating this cycle. I just can't seem to get a maintenance. What I did lately was switch to diet or lite fizzy drinks, so as to bring down the calories. BUT, guess what ??
Yes, I noticed I am just consuming far more in quantity.
Are these coke zero, max and diet drinks that bad for you ?
I would rather have lucozade, but they don't do it here in North America. They have this similar glucose drink called gatorade but it's nowhere near the lucozade back there.

The meat and veg are pretty much all local and organic here, and the fruit is either very local or from california but very fresh, I mean the bananas only last 2-3 days after purchase because they are more fresh and natural without too much preservative crap sprayed on them. Saying all this, there is just too much junk available to snack on and that's my big downfall.

In terms of drinks etc.. I would be grateful if someone could suggest alternatives besides Water!!!!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Some perfect points there. I can now agree and understand all the good points for eating raw food. I do need to increase my intake, as I haven't been too good.
This is a good useful thread, because all I keep busy with is gym, and after work out I try and be sensible with diet, spend evenings doing either gurbani,meditation,music with some kirtan, reading and a few movies here and there- that is my SAD busy life!!!!

All the negative effects on health are mostly self inflicted, I believe, in reference to diet.
Some very good and useful points from Randip ji and Chazji.

The problem with me is that I will start doing gym sessions religously for a while, like 7 days continuous of 3-4 hrs total/day. Then after a week, I will foolishly stop and reward my self with all the naughty foods like nachos, popcorn, fries, chips(crisps) with dips, cans and cans of cola, energy drinks, ginger ale....etc.. This happens for about 3-4 days to a week and then I go back to the hardcore workout week.

In all honesty, i find that I keep repeating this cycle. I just can't seem to get a maintenance. What I did lately was switch to diet or lite fizzy drinks, so as to bring down the calories. BUT, guess what ??
Yes, I noticed I am just consuming far more in quantity.
Are these coke zero, max and diet drinks that bad for you ?
I would rather have lucozade, but they don't do it here in North America. They have this similar glucose drink called gatorade but it's nowhere near the lucozade back there.

The meat and veg are pretty much all local and organic here, and the fruit is either very local or from california but very fresh, I mean the bananas only last 2-3 days after purchase because they are more fresh and natural without too much preservative crap sprayed on them. Saying all this, there is just too much junk available to snack on and that's my big downfall.

In terms of drinks etc.. I would be grateful if someone could suggest alternatives besides Water!!!!

People think the government want us to be healthy.
The drug industry is a business...an unhealthy population and disease brings in more money.

Goverment raises health scares and "diet" products are advertised everywhere....look a little deeper and what do they use for sweetener in almost every diet product (fizzy drinks, canderel, chewing gum etc) a substance called Asparteme.... research on this and you'll realise it's a poison linked to soooo many diseases...

Diet products = less fat on our body, but the possibility of developing more disease due to this one substance.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Same with flouride in our water supply...a poison (which by coincidence attaches to our pineal gland and stops it from functioning).
A functioning Pineal gland is linked to activation of the spiritual eye (third eye) - do the government know something? do they not want a population of 'awakened' spiritual god conscious beings.... afterall god conscios beings will be harder to control than a diseased and sick population that requires medicine after medicine and a population that lives in fear...

Interesting stuff...

Jul 18, 2007
London
What are you views on Intermittent Fasting?

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Seems to be all the rage but has a kind of logical explanation of going without food for a specified period?

I've tried a few days so far of going without food for approx 16 hours (9pm-1pm.

As I always wanted to reduce the amount of times I was eating! Sometimes it felt like a full time job.

The lifestyle of eating like this isn't that bad actually, my training is still good full of energy and I just about start to feel hungry before the fasting period ends.

Just thought its worth a try to change things up.

Your thoughts would be brillaint.

Thanks

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
What are you views on Intermittent Fasting?

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Seems to be all the rage but has a kind of logical explanation of going without food for a specified period?

I've tried a few days so far of going without food for approx 16 hours (9pm-1pm.

As I always wanted to reduce the amount of times I was eating! Sometimes it felt like a full time job.

The lifestyle of eating like this isn't that bad actually, my training is still good full of energy and I just about start to feel hungry before the fasting period ends.

Just thought its worth a try to change things up.

Your thoughts would be brillaint.

Thanks

Fasting is good for you every now and then, but make sure you drink water, and at least eat something in the morning.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM