• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Desire Vs. Want

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
drkhalsa ji,
Thanks for your frank discussion.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
and Dear KDS ji

What i understand about human mind functioning is !

It has many faces not just two and its true in everybodies atleast all those like me who are not realised in spirtual sense .

About Divorce it does not happen due to compatibity issue , it just happen because of ever changing mind which changes faces everynow and then and also read the faces with changed interpretation now and then

so the both parties the observed and and observer are changing constantly and so bound to have conflict

Divorce happen so often now becuase when you have a chioce you just do it to blame everything on it and try to solve the mess of life .
When dont have a obvious choice you try to adapt and loook for other way outs just like traditional Cultures where still some people consider Divorce as No NO choice .

I ususally get to understand it better in way by thinking that Our own Mind creates so much mess and contradictions in our life but still we dont reject a it and keep on living with it
why/ because we dont have a choice!

Jatinder Singh

you are right we humans have many faces not just 2.But i think we have our natural personality which we hardly show to others.and incase of searching partners i don't think
majority of people show their true colors

2-3 months ago i was watching a tv counselling programme on marriage. while majority of men callers were complaining about misuse of dowry law by wives.majority of women complained about their changed husbands.there complaint was that before marriage their husbands promised them many things like helping their families etc.but after marriage they changed completely.so my point was in reference to example of matching characteristics
by antonia ji that you cannot judge a person by dating him/her for months.it is only after marriage you can judge him/her that how many points he / she got.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
by antonia ji that you cannot judge a person by dating him/her for months.it is only after marriage you can judge him/her that how many points he / she got.

i agree with you my friend!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
begum ji

In the discussion programme of recent ongoing india vs australia one day series one pakistani telephoned indian commentaters and and asked them why in last 50 years
india is unable to produce genuine fast bowler.the reply of chetan sharma(former indian
medium pacer) was that there is big difference between the diet of pakistani's and indians
and it is because of non veg diet pakistani's bowl really bowl fast and indians can't bowl
at that speed because of their vegetarian diet.
.he also said that after he started eating meat his speed also increased.
so the bad effect of meat on health is just a myth propagated by fanatic vegetarians

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
t
he reply of chetan sharma(former indian
medium pacer) was that there is big difference between the diet of pakistani's and indians
and it is because of non veg diet pakistani's bowl really bowl fast and indians can't bowl
at that speed because of their vegetarian diet.

Thank god ! peopel are now really thinking logically after all .
It really shows brighter days for inDia ahead as they are coming out of Cob web .

Thanks for the post !

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
t

Thank god ! peopel are now really thinking logically after all .
It really shows brighter days for inDia ahead as they are coming out of Cob web .

Thanks for the post !

almost all indian sadhus and ayurvedic doctors spread this myth that meat is poison for body and it will destroy your body like smoking.common indian is very well under their impression that it is true

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
kds1980 Ji,

I had started to accept your statement about it being a myth. btw, it all started from the thread "Fools who wrangle over flesh" - that was the first shock to me, but nevertheless true.

In the past, I've read books on the amount of sin created by eating different types of food. The greatest sin - was eating beef and milk producing animals, the least sin was by eating plant life.

But these theories are probably vastly Brahminical in nature - nothing to do with Gurmatt.

begum

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
Sat Sri Akhal to all brothers and sisters here. I feel as if this has all got to do with the 5 vices which includes lust & pride. As a teenager, I can tell you that I have had bad habbits...as most teenagers do, and has struggled for many years. Want is soemthign which must be realistic, but if is something that includes lustful thoughts, then it should be controlled. You must do the right things, and can't even think about doing bad things... desire is lust, want is pride...

Now i have become strong, since struggling with my bad addictions...and now im determined to put a stop to it!

clarkejoey

SPNer
Oct 3, 2007
Belize City, Belize
sat sri akal.

I wonder if this isn't just a choice-of-words question; if there's a technical way of using "desire" and "want" that's over my head, i apologise.

But it seems to me that "desire" is just a way of describing a "want". I might say i'm more entitled to what i "desire", or maybe that because what i "want" is called a "desire" it must be allowed.

I suspect that they are one and the same, unless when we say "want" we mean "need".

In that case, all i really "want" is a place to sleep, a regular supply of food, and peace to pray. Of course, i "desire" a safe and comfortable place to sleep, i "desire" to eat the things i like, and i "desire" the feeling that my prayer brings me closer to God.

Is this what we're discussing?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If everyone knew what are the consequences of wanting something desperately enough - I mean enduring the 'cause and effect' in the later part of the episode - many will re-think their strategy of plunging in first.

But as ClarkeJoey puts it, desiring of basics in order to achieve the peace within is necessary. I'm just rephrasing his words.

Instead of wanting or asking for material gains, it would be natural for one to search for that something, or desire that thing where real peace, real contentment and real progress can be achieved. Most of the time, that desire isn't met on the outside of ourselves.

The nature of the subtlities we are constantly desiring and wanting is on the other side - meaning inside. But how does one look on the 'inside'?

What do we look for ?
How much time will that take?

Many Yogis and Dehdhari Gurus make their students follow them for a life-time. But the truth is so simple and subtle that there is a 99% tendency that you will overlook its simplicity. So when you follow a Yogi, 99% of the time is spent un-learning what the world has taught you.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Referring to the first /second post it is to state that 'want' indicates a 'need' and 'desire' can be a wish or a need.just sharing with Begum ji.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Seeker07,

You remind me of an article about "Emotional Intelligence" where it is stated - Knowing one’s emotions. Self-awareness—recognizing a feeling as it happens. The ability to monitor feelings from moment to moment is crucial to insight and self-understanding. An inability to notice our true feelings leaves us at other's mercy.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
KDS here cannot still accept the concept of Meat Eating even if a Sadhu or an Ayurvedic tells him. What they are telling us is from their spiritual experience just as our Gurus have given us guidance from their personal experiences. Not everyone will benefit from anothers life experience because those that do not are not yet destined to be on the path of Salvation. The influence of Maya is great.

Well sufi saints who follow islam,unani doctors don't say that meat is poison.Does that mean they don't have any spiritual experiences?

is the salvation reserved for handful of indian vegetarian sadhus?

Ek musafir ji you are ready to accept so called spiritual experiances of indian sadhu's
which do not have any proof but you are not ready to accept physical experiances of indian fast bowlers who themselves accepted that they were unable to bowl as fast as pakistani's because of their vegetarian diet.

Jan 6, 2007
UK
You cannot understand what is beyond your capacity to understand.
You cannot learn what is not intended for you.
You can not have what is not in your destiny.

Last edited:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kds ji,

Are you a Sufi Saint ? or a Sadhu ? or have any experience of Ayurvedic practices ? or any knowledge of Spirituality.

There is vast difference between the physical experience of a Indian fast bowler compaired to the spiritual experience of a Sadhu. These two individuals are at the opposite ends of the life line. Your bent if obviousliy with the fast bowler.

Presently you are undergoing a phase of Sadesati. I suggest you clear that first and learn about spirituality before you again ask any questions on a topic that is out of your reach. This does not mean I do not have an answer for you. What ever I say will go over your head. Do not take this as an insult. Three years down the road you will have a better understanding.

Explain to me what you uderstand of the following:
Creation in order to keep a being absorbed in Maya creates conditions around that being which in turn gives birth to a desire. In some cases, this desire travels from the conscious to sub-conscious where it stays until it is reawakened. For some this desire may cease to exist and nothing more happens. When conditions are right this desire resurfaces from the sub-conscious and moves into conscious again. For the others it stays in the conscious. You begin to dwell on this desire, over a period it gives birth to “want”. In order to fulfil your “want” you take action. This want becomes so strong that you are prepared to do anything to fulfil it. This action becomes the cause of imbalance in Nature. This imbalance causes disruption in the plans of Nature. The result of your actions can be good or bad. An action that we consider good can be bad for nature. This becomes Karma because you are the sole cause of it. It is the domino effect. We repeatedly fall into this trap time and again. Why? Firstly, because we do not learn from our mistakes and Secondly, we do not know anything better. We have been participating in this game for so long that all these actions are a natural path for us like a duck takes to water. Ones thinking is de-capacitated by Nature.

This is a lesson from spirituality.

Ekmusafir_ajnabi

Ek musafir ji

do you know you have a very big ego of your spirituality.You beleive that we all other members are stupids and you are the most experianced that's why we all have to accept
what you say.

The lesson in spirituality you gre giving i already heard it thousand's of time in maskeen ji's katha
That it is our subconcious desire's that is the main cause of coming to this world again and again.

On the so called spiritual experianes i just want to say that if you read spiritual experiances of different persons they are quite different.so spiritual experiances cannot be taken as bench mark.Let me give you an example the taksali sants says that they have partakh darshan of guru's.the Nanaksari' says so and AKJ' sants also say so.But still they differences over issues,different maryada's.why can't these sants just sort out their differences by asking guru ji directly.are different guru's giving different darshan to them?

now on the issue of meat.All the prophet that were born in middle east ate meat and said nothing against meat while sants that were born in the fertile environment recommended vegetarian food.what does it prooves.it is quite simple that this issue is totaly an environmental issue.you cannot say that salvation is only reserved for people which are born in fertile climate have birth right over salvation.I am sorry to say but this attituide was mainly responsible for caste system of hinduism where brahmins started beleiving they are superior because they are born in upper caste.

In the end i just want to say if you have spiritualit experiances its good for you.but don't force others to follow your experiances.

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Ekmusafir ji - I don't think spirituality has anything to do with eating meat except that a body should be kept very fit cos spiritual experience starts from this body and that is the end of it. Until and unless you feel it is not very aesthetic to eat meat as it may cause diseases if not properly prepared and otherwise I don't think it interferes with any kind of sprituality.

Cos If spirituality is so much dependent on external factors then what is so great about spirituality ! Why so much of fuss around it.

- And rightly KDS ji eating meat is totally an environmental and aesthetics issue but regarding the correlation between eating meat and energy is concerned I think it is not true . A wrong analysis is done on this cos the only form of energy that our body gets is starch or sugar and its variants which we normally get from carbohydrates or direct sugars. Meats can be rich in carbos but there are many vegetables and fruits which are even richer. Yes meat is a good source of proteins which are required for development of body but there are many legumes and vegetables which are rich source of proteins. here is a good read on meat eating and nutrition. Shattering the Meat and Protein Myth

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear tgill

All over internet newspapers there are hundreds of researches available that are conducted by doctors about what is good for your health and what is bad.one research says that something is good for health the other says that the same thing is bad for health.so the best thing is observe your body and eat what suits you.There are families in india that vegetarians for generations and there is proof that they are more healthy than non vegetarians.japanese people are known for living longer and they are quite non veg.the people that are in sports are advised by their trainers to eat non veg food.please remember sportsmen need optimum level of physical fitness to compete.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
In any discussion participants might want to avoid tactics that undermine the legitimacy of the discussion. Otherwise why have a discussion at all? Unless of course one's goal is to undermrne another person by making a personal attack. For reasons known only to the one who is on the attack.

I am of course referring to the logical fallacy known as

Argumentum ad Hominem
(abusive and circumstantial): the fallacy of attacking the character or circumstances of an individual who is advancing a statement or an argument instead of trying to disprove the truth of the statement or the soundness of the argument. Often the argument is characterized simply as a personal attack.

1. The personal attack is also often termed an "ad personem argument": the statement or argument at issue is dropped from consideration or is ignored, and the locutor's character or circumstances are used to influence opinion.

2. The fallacy draws its appeal from the technique of "getting personal." The assumption is that what the locutor is saying is entirely or partially dictated by his character or special circumstances and so should be disregarded.
To claim that

Presently you are undergoing a phase of Sadesati. I suggest you clear that first and learn about spirituality before you again ask any questions on a topic that is out of your reach. This does not mean I do not have an answer for you. What ever I say will go over your head. Do not take this as an insult. Three years down the road you will have a better understanding... and then to suggest that kds ji doesn't know his own limitatiotns, is ad hominem argument.. Some forum members think this is funny. Why did I think this topic had fizzled out? How naive of me. Fortunately kds1980 remains as always the quintessential gentleman.

Stay in Chardi Kala

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: