• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Death Is A Sorrow But So Is Birth Isn't It ? Jamman-maran Is A Dukh!

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Original ji,

I agree with most of what you said. Just a few points need to be clarified.

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I described Sat as objective truth because its validity doesn’t depend on anyone’s belief in it. I wasn’t giving a definition to Sat. Sat is its own definition.

Secondly, your statement here:

beyond time n space and since mind [rational] and the five senses [emperical] cannot transcend time n space knowledge of it cannot be had.

I am not saying the Divine can be comprehended by the mind or reduced to empirical observation. I am saying that understanding is obtained through objective experience. This is done by silencing the mind so that the consciousness can sit in the Sunyata undisturbed.

Nothingness cannot be described or thought of. To do so makes it something. It can only be experienced.

P.S. I am keen to learn as much as I can about the Black Prince and the end-times of the Sikh Raj. Unfortunately, I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Hence my limited participation on this forum as of late. Perhaps we can continue the conversation at a future point in time.

All the best.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Original ji,

I agree with most of what you said. Just a few points need to be clarified.

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I described Sat as objective truth because its validity doesn’t depend on anyone’s belief in it. I wasn’t giving a definition to Sat. Sat is its own definition.

Secondly, your statement here:

I am not saying the Divine can be comprehended by the mind or reduced to empirical observation. I am saying that understanding is obtained through objective experience. This is done by silencing the mind so that the consciousness can sit in the Sunyata undisturbed.

Nothingness cannot be described or thought of. To do so makes it something. It can only be experienced.

P.S. I am keen to learn as much as I can about the Black Prince and the end-times of the Sikh Raj. Unfortunately, I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Hence my limited participation on this forum as of late. Perhaps we can continue the conversation at a future point in time.

All the best.

Thank you !

You're on the path - slowly but surely all will come to pass, but for now, allow me the liberty to converse generally.

First n foremost, attend to your obligations [whatever is on your plate] and deal with them accordingly. For a Sikh, an obligation over inclination is recommended -.duty bound [hukam].

And, secondly, your writings have a Buddhist ring to them? Absolutely beautiful if you ask me, because I initially got hooked to Buddist philosophy at an early age due to my martial arts school. And, it wasn't until late in life when on home turf [sikh thought] that I got to know the truth.

An observation on my part re quote "This is done by silencing the mind so that the consciousness can sit in the Sunyata undisturbed" Sherdil.

As a reflection, consider, consciousness to be "all" aliveness, living infinitely, now, today, every moment, tomorrow, yesterday [ad sach, jugad sach, havi sach, Nanak hosi v sach] ? Consider further, it is we who are in the consciousness [sat], the ever present, omnipotent. Realisation of it is becoming more n more transparent as if cloud dissipating by the piercing rays of the sun and as a result, we are elevating in our "self, our being" and becoming, and being enveloped by the subtleness of it All. Sehaj, the component part of our being goes into auto drive, the journey's cruise control takes over and effortlessly do the mind, unperturbed, enjoys vacation.

Now that is just "my" way of showing you something. Please be advised, I have no inclinations to indoctrinate or sway anyone from their chosen path. However, from a Sikh perspective it is helpful, in my view, to understand Nanak's philosophy from that of Gautma Buddha. Why ? Because Buddha, a prince who in early life enjoyed life to the max and later constructed his philosophical thought upon the premise "suffering", whereas Nanak, constructed his on the concept that life is to be "celebrated". Although, the destination re spiritually is pretty much complimentary, but the journey is more enjoyable if you're in Nanak's camp. And, the proof is in the pudding - Sikh as a "particular" social group is always fattah chucking.

Enjoy the day !

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Thank you !

You're on the path - slowly but surely all will come to pass, but for now, allow me the liberty to converse generally.

First n foremost, attend to your obligations [whatever is on your plate] and deal with them accordingly. For a Sikh, an obligation over inclination is recommended -.duty bound [hukam].

And, secondly, your writings have a Buddhist ring to them? Absolutely beautiful if you ask me, because I initially got hooked to Buddist philosophy at an early age due to my martial arts school. And, it wasn't until late in life when on home turf [sikh thought] that I got to know the truth.

An observation on my part re quote "This is done by silencing the mind so that the consciousness can sit in the Sunyata undisturbed" Sherdil.

As a reflection, consider, consciousness to be "all" aliveness, living infinitely, now, today, every moment, tomorrow, yesterday [ad sach, jugad sach, havi sach, Nanak hosi v sach] ? Consider further, it is we who are in the consciousness [sat], the ever present, omnipotent. Realisation of it is becoming more n more transparent as if cloud dissipating by the piercing rays of the sun and as a result, we are elevating in our "self, our being" and becoming, and being enveloped by the subtleness of it All. Sehaj, the component part of our being goes into auto drive, the journey's cruise control takes over and effortlessly do the mind, unperturbed, enjoys vacation.

Now that is just "my" way of showing you something. Please be advised, I have no inclinations to indoctrinate or sway anyone from their chosen path. However, from a Sikh perspective it is helpful, in my view, to understand Nanak's philosophy from that of Gautma Buddha. Why ? Because Buddha, a prince who in early life enjoyed life to the max and later constructed his philosophical thought upon the premise "suffering", whereas Nanak, constructed his on the concept that life is to be "celebrated". Although, the destination re spiritually is pretty much complimentary, but the journey is more enjoyable if you're in Nanak's camp. And, the proof is in the pudding - Sikh as a "particular" social group is always fattah chucking.

Enjoy the day !

Sunyata means void. In Buddhism, it is a seen as a state of mind in which you empty yourself of yourself. In Sikhi, Sunyata is the reality behind the illusion of Maya. The mind creates the illusion through a sense of self and non-self, and through empirical observation. Going back to the Ocean and the Sky. It sees both but it doesn’t understand that they are one in the same. Going beyond site, touch, smell, sound, etc. the true reality emerges. That is Nothing.

Gurbani speaks of the Sunn / Sunyata. The One sat in this Sunn in the primordial beginning. When it was pleasing to the One, the creation sprang forth. The One is still whole and the Sunn is still permeating underneath the illusion.

You say you are not here to sway anyone either way, yet you distinguish yourself as the authority on who is in “Nanak’s camp” and who is not. Maybe it is not “Nanak’s camp” you are describing. Maybe it is “Original’s camp”.

Take care.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Sunyata means void. In Buddhism, it is a seen as a state of mind in which you empty yourself of yourself. In Sikhi, Sunyata is the reality behind the illusion of Maya. The mind creates the illusion through a sense of self and non-self, and through empirical observation. Going back to the Ocean and the Sky. It sees both but it doesn’t understand that they are one in the same. Going beyond site, touch, smell, sound, etc. the true reality emerges. That is Nothing.

Gurbani speaks of the Sunn / Sunyata. The One sat in this Sunn in the primordial beginning. When it was pleasing to the One, the creation sprang forth. The One is still whole and the Sunn is still permeating underneath the illusion.

You say you are not here to sway anyone either way, yet you distinguish yourself as the authority on who is in “Nanak’s camp” and who is not. Maybe it is not “Nanak’s camp” you are describing. Maybe it is “Original’s camp”.

Take care.
Sherdil Ji

I use the term "Nanak's camp" to express subjectivity on the matter to hand and never an objective authority. That, I suppose comes naturally to me because of evolutionary traits, such as, culture, environment and genetics. I apologise for any inadvertent bias on my part which may have as a result conflicted with your natural disposition.

Many thanks

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I use the term "Nanak's camp" to express subjectivity on the matter to hand and never an objective authority.

You tend to use these phrases to validate whatever it is your writing

That, I suppose comes naturally to me because of evolutionary traits, such as, culture, environment and genetics.

so does my huge fascination with the baser things in life, if you ask me, the reasons above do not justify any opinion or way of life. I would go so far as to say that I only really started to grow, in my opinion, when I rejected culture and environment, and accepted my genetics.

I apologise for any inadvertent bias on my part which may have as a result conflicted with your natural disposition.

why apologise? You are biased, hugely, you have no wish to push forward the boundaries, to join the renaissance that is going on within Sikhism, so be proud of that bias, speak for those that value faith more than advancement.

you may think this is a critical post, far from it, you are what you are, if what you are is a firm believer in your way, and you have absolutely no interest in anything else, then stand up and be proud and be counted, use your intellect to put forward your theories, allow them to be tested, see if they stand up, that is what happens in a forum.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
the child cries at birth, he knows that he or she has come into the hell and struggles the whole life
others shed crocodile tears when one dies, they are not concerned with his death but they are scared of their own death

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM