• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual Daily Amrit Vela Blog - Difficulties, Joys, Methods Of This Practical Journey To Self Discovery

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Pardon my ignorance. Spirituality is a private matter and requires no middle man. It is only application of what you perceive from within. Just obtaining knowledge 2x2=4 is not spirituality. It is practical living which increases your awareness, 'ਗਿਆਨ ਕਾ ਬਧਾ ਮਨੁ ਰਹੈ but without living ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੫॥
Guru Nanak has summed it up beautifully in the following sabd:
ਕੁੰਭੇ ਬਧਾ ਜਲੁ ਰਹੈ ਜਲ ਬਿਨੁ ਕੁੰਭੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
Water remains confined within the pitcher, but without water, the pitcher could not have been formed;
ਗਿਆਨ ਕਾ ਬਧਾ ਮਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੫॥
just so, the mind is restrained by spiritual wisdom, but without application, there is no spiritual wisdom. ||5||
(Please note first ਗਿਆਨ has no aunkar and second ਗਿਆਨੁ is with aunkar.) SGGS 469.16

I did not take the section you quoted by Swarn Ji as meaning a human guru. Gurbani constantly talks about the Guru, and it is this Guru I thought Swarn Ji was talking about.

Perhaps he can clarify?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Amrit Vela - Whatever moment in time you take that to be...that feeling over "oh Wow...within me is the secrets to life" is the best feeling ever.

Although actual spiritual experience is often kept personal, we should talk of the joys, the difficulties when putting dyaan on waheguru, the IK...how the mind plays us for a fool at times.

The mind is so powerful, the universal mind, our tool....used wisely is key...but being used by it under the 5 thieves is often the pitfall...as i know so very well myself

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Respected Sangat Ji

First n foremost, I'm delighted to have caught sight of the name "Ishna" back on my display unit. A Big Welcome ! Hope all is well and that you n everything is, as best as it could be ! Nice to have you back !

Over to you Chz -
Amrit Vela - Whatever moment in time you take that to be
..sorry Chz, amritvela by custom n practice is early hours of the morning. We can shift the emphasis of practice but not the actual meaning of the term, "amritvela". It has a special place and meaning within Sikh Theology n practice.
"oh Wow...within me is the secrets to life"
..what life, biological, philosophical, metaphysical or in your case ET ?
The mind is so powerful, the universal mind, our tool....used wisely is key...but being used by it under the 5 thieves is often the pitfall...as i know so very well myself
..the conscious mind brings forth perceptions, sensations, thoughts and a lot more. When put to good use look what it has given us, the car, aeroplane, ship, spaceship and a lot more; why knock it [5 thieves] on account spiritual perfection ?

Love n Live

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
..sorry Chz, amritvela by custom n practice is early hours of the morning. We can shift the emphasis of practice but not the actual meaning of the term, "amritvela". It has a special place and meaning within Sikh practice.

I've never been one to hide the fact that early morning Simran has been the most, how can i put it.... 'involving', 'wonderful', 'powerful', 'insightful'...i have done my Simran at various times of the day...early morning always....always was just something completely else...beyond words

..what life, biological, philosophical, metaphysical or in your case ET ?

all of the above, and maybe more...i just can't see any limits to what those secrets to life are...the limits to creation and beyond...and i still to this day feel i'm just skimming the surface of this ocean...
mind-boggling...

..the conscious mind brings forth perceptions, sensations, thoughts and a lot more. When put to good use look what it has given us, the car, aeroplane, ship, spaceship and a lot more; why knock it [5 thieves] on account spiritual perfection ?

Love n Live

That's just it, when put to good use...it is one powerful tool...an ocean of creativity...
but in the reverse, when being used by it...its creative power brings forth the negative aspects of creation.

both required i would say for our development, but i'm definitely a more creative, positive, beneficial person to the people around me when i feel like i have it under some sort of control...

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
niramal naam sudhhaa parapooran sabadh thara(n)g pragattith dhin aagar ||
The Immaculate, Sacred Pool of the Guru is overflowing with the waves of the Shabad, radiantly revealed in the early hours before the dawn.

gehir ga(n)bheer athhaah ath badd subhar sadhaa sabh bidhh rathanaagar ||
He is Deep and Profound, Unfathomable and utterly Great, eternally overflowing with all sorts of jewels.

sa(n)th maraal karehi ka(n)thoohal thin jam thraas mittiou dhukh kaagar ||
The Saint-swans celebrate; their fear of death is erased, along with the accounts of their pain.

kalajug dhurath dhoor karabae ko dharasan guroo sagal sukh saagar ||4||
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the sins are taken away; the Blessed Vision of the Guru's Darshan is the Ocean of all peace and comfort. ||4||

SikhiToTheMAX - Enabling Gurmat Knowledge

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
as it is mentioned in the case of balmeek balmeek was a highway rober. by the way all these so called ill minded people are generally smarter than the general public. Balmeek met a guru and he was impressed by guru's teaching and then the guru gave him a word to recite (ram). he kept on reciting. finally he got so much involved in it that he forgot ram and instead he started calling it a mara and continued. as I heard that ball is considered to be a saint who even wrote the Ramayan,

I heard the story the other way around. Valmiki ji was advised to chant 'Mara' by his Guru Narad ji. This was so that he may chant Ram naam, since "Mara" when said repeatedly sounds like Ram.

Once, the robber tried to rob the divine sage Narada for the benefit of his family. Narada asked him if his family would share the sin he was incurring due to the robbery. The robber replied positively, but Narada told him to confirm this with his family. The robber asked his family, but none agreed to bear the burden of sin. Dejected, the robber finally understood the truth of life and asked for Narada's forgiveness. Narada taught the robber the mantra for salvation. But, the mantra in question, the name of Lord Rama, was not to be given to murderers and the like. Narada thus told Valmiki to chant "Mara" the phonetic anagram of "Rama" instead to circumvent this restriction. The robber meditated for many years, so much so that ant-hills grew around his body. Finally, a divine voice declared his penance successful, bestowing him with the name "Valmiki": "one born out of ant-hills" (Valmikam in Sanskrit means Ant-hill).[6]
Valmiki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not take the section you quoted by Swarn Ji as meaning a human guru. Gurbani constantly talks about the Guru, and it is this Guru I thought Swarn Ji was talking about.

Perhaps he can clarify?
Indeed you should have read it as human guru, someone who has traveled the path and can guide you on the way.

Gurbani also speaks about such a person.

ਐਸਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਭੇਟੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟੈ ॥
ਸੇਵਾ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਉ ਤਿਸੁ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਕੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਪਗ ਚਾਟੈ ॥੫॥੧੧॥੧੩੨॥

aisa yogi wadbhagi bhetai, maya ke bhandhan katai.
seva pooj karo tis murti ki, nanak tis pag chatai.

Such a yogi, who cuts desires of material and worldly desires, is found by great fortune.
Serve and worship the murti, idol, of such a yogi, Guru Arjun Dev ji says, I lick his feet.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I heard the story the other way around. Valmiki ji was advised to chant 'Mara' by his Guru Narad ji. This was so that he may chant Ram naam, since "Mara" when said repeatedly sounds like Ram.

Once, the robber tried to rob the divine sage Narada for the benefit of his family. Narada asked him if his family would share the sin he was incurring due to the robbery. The robber replied positively, but Narada told him to confirm this with his family. The robber asked his family, but none agreed to bear the burden of sin. Dejected, the robber finally understood the truth of life and asked for Narada's forgiveness. Narada taught the robber the mantra for salvation. But, the mantra in question, the name of Lord Rama, was not to be given to murderers and the like. Narada thus told Valmiki to chant "Mara" the phonetic anagram of "Rama" instead to circumvent this restriction. The robber meditated for many years, so much so that ant-hills grew around his body. Finally, a divine voice declared his penance successful, bestowing him with the name "Valmiki": "one born out of ant-hills" (Valmikam in Sanskrit means Ant-hill).[6]
Valmiki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indeed you should have read it as human guru, someone who has traveled the path and can guide you on the way.

Gurbani also speaks about such a person.

ਐਸਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਭੇਟੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟੈ ॥
ਸੇਵਾ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਉ ਤਿਸੁ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਕੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਪਗ ਚਾਟੈ ॥੫॥੧੧॥੧੩੨॥

aisa yogi wadbhagi bhetai, maya ke bhandhan katai.
seva pooj karo tis murti ki, nanak tis pag chatai.

Such a yogi, who cuts desires of material and worldly desires, is found by great fortune.
Serve and worship the murti, idol, of such a yogi, Guru Arjun Dev ji says, I lick his feet.

Good to see you back Bhagat ji :)

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I think your all nuts, but your my kind of nuts, good luck and glad to see this open again,
...H, you couldn't have said it any better ! Look what baba Nanak Ji is saying:

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਕੋਈ ਆਖੈ ਭੂਤਨਾ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਬੇਤਾਲਾ ॥ ਕੋਈ ਆਖੈ ਆਦਮੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਵੇਚਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਭਇਆ ਦਿਵਾਨਾ ਸਾਹ ਕਾ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਬਉਰਾਨਾ ॥ ਹਉ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਤਉ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਭੈ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਏਕੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥ ਤਉ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਏਕਾ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਇ ॥ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਖਸਮ ਕਾ ਦੂਜੀ ਅਵਰ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਕਾਇ ॥੩॥ ਤਉ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥ ਮੰਦਾ ਜਾਣੈ ਆਪ ਕਉ ਅਵਰੁ ਭਲਾ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥੪॥੭ ॥- page 991 SGGSJ॥

Translation [bold]: nuts

Overview: shabd [above]:

After having the mystical/religious experience at Sultanpur Lodhi, Nanak is said to have had become deewana [romantic, lover, ਦਿਵਾਨਾ]. He himself describes the state of becoming kamla [nuts, ਬਉਰਾਨਾ], that is to say, besotted spiritually with Waheguru. Moreover, he goes on to express how much out of synch he is with joe public [secular] and how much in synch he is with Waheguru [connected to shabd].

I've got to handed to you H, you sure know how to make connections. You've picked up on the correlation [nuts] between the Nanak then and his gang today [Chz, HKR, me and more] !

Like you , baba Nanak was a khatri [Kshatriya]. The observation you made and what he expressed 500 years ago is the one and the same. What does that mean ? It means, part of baba Nanak [consciousness] is alive n kicking in you, albeit, 500 years later ! Is this the "immortality of the soul"?

Thank you for providing the opportunity for the spiritualists to share with everyone what they experience and what Sikhism spiritual is.

Love you all !

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
How does One gauge spirituality? How do you measure when you are at one instance more spiritual than a different time?

How do you judge who's more Spiritual than another person? Clearly these things matter if Progress and using our time wisely is a concern.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
How does One gauge spirituality? How do you measure when you are at one instance more spiritual than a different time?
You can't measure it. But you know you are becoming more spiritual when your mind wanders less and less. Until it stops wandering altogether.

This does not mean to suppress the mind, rather to cultivate states of mind where the mind is not wandering.

ਯੋਗਸ਼ਚਿੱਤਵ੍ਰੱਤਿਨਿਰੋਧਃ

As you practice, it will become easier and easier to accumulate such states of mind.

How do you judge who's more Spiritual than another person? Clearly these things matter if Progress and using our time wisely is a concern.
Judging whether someone else is more spiritual or not is not important for your own progress.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

i've met quite a lot of people on this forum that i would say are quite spiritual, but i've never wondered who is more spiritual than another...we just help each other a long :)

i would say if you think there is a part of you that thinks you're more than just a physical body then you're 'spirit'ual in the sense that you may want to 'know' more of this...
but really we're all spiritual :)

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
You can't measure it. But you know you are becoming more spiritual when your mind wanders less and less. Until it stops wandering altogether.

This does not mean to suppress the mind, rather to cultivate states of mind where the mind is not wandering.

ਯੋਗਸ਼ਚਿੱਤਵ੍ਰੱਤਿਨਿਰੋਧਃ

As you practice, it will become easier and easier to accumulate such states of mind.

Judging whether someone else is more spiritual or not is not important for your own progress.

OK, So who is more Useful: the person who denies 'spirituality' because they know life is non linear and that you often learn, make mistakes, relearn, and its not a Perfect process. OR the one up on his high horse of Spirituality, shouting "Me Me Me" FEIGNING progress that can't even be measured?

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
i've met quite a lot of people on this forum that i would say are quite spiritual, but i've never wondered who is more spiritual than another...we just help each other a long :)

What's your destination? I would only be inclined to Consider joining if I knew a distinct destination, and who gets to reward me for it? Is it my fellow 'spiritualists' and is that Guaranteed reward continuing into the Next world/karma etc or is there a greater entity that judges.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
What's your destination? I would only be inclined to Consider joining if I knew a distinct destination, and who gets to reward me for it? Is it my fellow 'spiritualists' and is that Guaranteed reward continuing into the Next world/karma etc or is there a greater entity that judges.

I really don;t know my destination...if i knew that i would already be there :)

Navdeep, SGGS Ji describes something quite unique...an 'IK' a creative energy, power, sound current, something infused within what was created...and therefore infused within me, and you also...

I just have this thirst within, to find out more...it started with a lot of reading of SGGS Ji, books written by others...discussion with people...the thirst just kind of grew...sometimes unbearable...

using some methods i believe are described in SGGS Ji...i tried to be pragmatic so to speak...tried things and tried to evaluate the results...

I guess that something 'within' knew i was intrigued...and in some ways made it known to me...
no idea about destinations...some things are out of my control...and out of anything i could imagine or comprehend

hope that helps

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
OK, So who is more Useful: the person who denies 'spirituality' because they know life is non linear and that you often learn, make mistakes, relearn, and its not a Perfect process. OR the one up on his high horse of Spirituality, shouting "Me Me Me" FEIGNING progress that can't even be measured?
You are still concerned with the inner state of others. Rather be concerned with only your own inner state.

Who are you?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Chazji,

its up to you, but if you feel debate should be left to the forum rather than your blog, then just open a thread with whatever the issue is, so that your blog may be left for personal experiences , just a thought

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: