• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Cops Involved In Fake Encounters Should Be Hanged: SC

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
August 8, 2011

Cops involved in fake encounters should be hanged: SC

August 08, 2011 6:25:15 PM

PTI | New Delhi

Calling fake encounter killings as nothing but "cold blooded brutal murder", the Supreme Court said police personnel involved in such incidents should be awarded death sentence and hanged.

A bench of justices Markandeya Katju and C K Prasad said fake encounter killings should be treated as the rarest of rare offence. Coming down heavily on police personnel involved in fake encounter killings, the court said as custodians of law they are expected to protect people and not eliminate them as contract killers.

"Fake encounter killings by cops are nothing but cold- blooded brutal murder which should be treated as the rarest of rare offence and police personnel responsible for it should be awarded death sentence. They should be hanged," Justice Katju, heading the bench, said.

The court made these observations while directing the surrender of two senior Rajasthan IPS officers (Additional DGP Arvind Jain and SP Arshad) allegedly involved in the fake encounter killing of an alleged gangster (Dara Singh) by the Special Operations Group of Rajasthan Police on October 23, 2006.

The bench said if the accused police officers fail to surrender they shall be arrested by the CBI which is investigating the case.

"The same parameters will apply and the law shall take its own course," Justice Katju observed when counsel for Singh's widow Sushila Devi said that one of the accused Rajender Rathore, a former minister, was also absconding.

"If crimes are committed by ordinary people, ordinary punishment should be given but if the offence is committed by policemen much harsher punishment should be given to them because they do an act totally contrary to their duties."

The apex court had in April last year directed a CBI probe on an application moved by Sushila Devi accusing the Rajasthan Police of abducting her husband, killing him in a cold blooded manner and passing it off as an encounter.

According to the Rajasthan government, Dara Singh was a proclaimed offender carrying a reward of Rs 25,000 on his head and was involved in criminal activities.

source: http://www.dailypioneer.com/359366/Cops-involved-in-fake-encounters-should-be-hanged-SC.html

Attachments

• India-Supreme-Court.jpg
    India-Supreme-Court.jpg
    9.7 KB · Reads: 252

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
What a bunch of baloney dished out 27 years later.

There wouldn't me much of Punjab Police, Border Security Forces, CRP and senior Civil Service left if such was carried out to the letter of the law. Most were either explicit or implicit participants including Congress MLAs and MPs and their entourages.

Time to ensure it does not happen again through future vigilance.

Sat Sri Akal.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I was going to say what Ambarsaria ji said, maybe a bit more colourfully. I see all the major highways strewn with gallows of Punjab Police waltzing Matilda.

I am, in general, opposed to the death penalty, but I might make an exception for this sort of abuse of power.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Mai Harinder Kaur ji there is no name for such low life these people represented. Many got promotions, rewards and such in addition to robbing people in the name of the persecuted Sikhs.

Thank you for your contributions.mundahug:worship::worship:mundahug

(PS: I had a chance to visit your blog and I feel ashamed for all of Punjab and my Amritsar)

Sat Sri Akal.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Mai Harinder Kaur ji there is no name for such low life these people represented. Many got promotions, rewards and such in addition to robbing people in the name of the persecuted Sikhs.

Thank you for your contributions.

Sat Sri Akal.

You're welcome.

I tangled with the Punjab Police myself at the time of the Bluestar Massacre. It was only because I was Canadian that I came out relatively unscathed. The cop who was "interrogating" me was quite upset that he wasn't allowed to finish the job. See The Last Time I Saw Amritsar.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: