• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India China Backs Pak For Non-permanent UNSC Seat, India Upset

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
China backs Pak bid for non-permanent UNSC seat, India upset

Saibal Dasgupta, TNN - Oct 19, 2011, 06.21PM IST

BEIJING: India's hopes of obtaining Chinese backing for a seat in the United Nations Security Council came up against a rock with the Chinese foreign ministry saying on Wednesday that it was seriously considering Pakistan's case for the coveted place.

China attaches great importance to Pakistan's request for a seat on the UN Security Council, Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said. She said Beijing is in favour of Pakistan playing a bigger role in maintaining international peace and security. China and Pakistan are all-weather strategic partners, Jiang noted at a news briefing.

Beijing welcomed India's election as a non-permanent member of UNSC last year but it has not revealed its mind about supporting New Delhi's case for a permanent member. China is the only one of the five permanent members of UNSC that has not announced its decision to support India.

New Delhi has been hoping to bring it around but the latest statement giving credence to Pakistan's case may prove to be a serious hurdle.

The statement comes in the midst of rising differences between the United States and Pakistan, which rose after top US military leaders said Islamabad cannot be relied upon as a partner in the fight against terrorism. Beijing is trying to assure Pakistan of its continued support at a time when western nations are losing faith in it.

Pakistan became the latest country to announce its aspirations for the UNSC seat when it raised the demand during the 66th UN General Assembly session in September. At that time, many observers suspected Beijing may have encouraged Pakistan to make the claim. The latest statement seems to support this view.

The official news agency, Xinhua, noted that Pakistan's foreign minister Hina Rabbani Khar recently said that UN Security Council reforms "must be worked in a manner that will reinforce the confidence of the peoples of the world in this body and enhance its credibility and effectiveness."

source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...NSC-seat-India-upset/articleshow/10416533.cms

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: China backs Pak bid for non-permanent UNSC seat, India upset

China has many billions sunk into economic development in Pakistan, including the development of a sea port. Follow the money.

This is also something that has a positive side to it, though I cannot believe I am writing as I do. China has no sympathy for muslim fanatics, extremists, and the like. Economic commitments by China in a way provide a completely secular counterweight against the seeds of social chaos being deliberately sewn by the fanatics in the north.

In sum, I am against Pakistan having a seat. But China's move does not surprise me at all. It is called economic self interest. And any powers that be in Pakistan who have instigated this move are also motivated by economic self interest. In my opinion we need a decoder ring to decide what foreign policy makes sense where Pakistan is involved. I do not believe 75 percent of what I read. Forgive me.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
China has many billions sunk into economic development in Pakistan, including the development of a sea port. Follow the money.

I am sure a major portion of it is dependent on the defence spending of Pakistan.

China has no sympathy for muslim fanatics, extremists, and the like. Economic commitments by China in a way provide a completely secular counterweight against the seeds of social chaos being deliberately sewn by the fanatics in the north.

China probably has no concern with other forces in the North. I think they just want to pitch in Pakistan against India anytime we ask for greater say in the affairs of the continent. And as long as Pakistan goes on in their delicately stable state, they will create problems for India.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Pakistan wins UNSC seat, joins India as non-permanent member

Chidanand Rajghatta, TNN | Oct 21, 2011, 11.07PM IST

WASHINGTON: Pakistan narrowly won a hotly-contested seat to the UN Security Council on Friday joining India as a two-year non-permanent member on the body.

India, which is already serving as a non-permanent member for the 2011-2012 term, is believed to have voted for Pakistan, the two sides having made common cause on many issues at the UN except for Kashmir. Pakistan's term is for two years beginning January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2013, overlapping with India for one year.

Pakistan just about scraped through, securing 129 out of 193 votes in the United Nations General Assembly, exactly the two-third majority required to win the seat. Its principal opponent in the Asia-Pacific region, Kyrgyzstan, won just 55. This would be the seventh time Pakistan would serve on the Security Council, and the fourth time its term would overlap with India. India won its latest two-year term by securing a landslide 187 votes.

Guatemala and Morocco were the other members who joined the 15-member council, five of whom are permanent members with veto powers. The other ten are non-permanent members on two year rotations. There will be a second round of voting for two more seats, one in Africa between Togo and Mauritania and one in Eastern Europe between Azerbaijan, Slovenia and Hungary. Pakistan avoided a second round by just about managing to get the required 2/3rd majority in the first round itself.

Pakistan's UN Ambassador Abdullah Hussain Haroon welcomed his country's election to the council and said he expected to work well with India's ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri, next year. The two are personal friends and have been known to hang out together occasionally, once going to a US Open doubles match featuring the Indo-Pak combination of Aisam Qureshi and Rohan Bopanna.

"You have seen that the usual tendencies have not erupted between us and that is a good factor," Haroon told Reuters. "Perhaps both of us have been beneficial in starting dialogue between both the countries."

The last time India and Pakistan served together on the council was in 1977. With India and Pakistan on the council next year, seven of the 15 members will be nuclear powers.

source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...non-permanent-member/articleshow/10445271.cms

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
WJKKWJKF Sat Siri Akal

China in getting into bed with Pakistan may well find a scorpion in the bed given china's treatment of it's ethnic minorities and given china's muslim minority If china starts to interfere with the rights and practices of its muslim minority pakistanies at the taliban and al-queeda end of islam will show support to their chinese muslim brothers than china-pakistan relations at the end of the day china is just looking after its own intrests rather than anyone else thought the pakistani ruling elite is clearly too stupid to see that

:happysingh:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
MONEY usually has the "power" take the STING out..or at least make the sting painless !!
American Billions have financed Pak up till now..Perhaps its time for China to pick up the TAB from now on....or at least pay the TIP !!
The Pak elite are NOT STUPID..they are also looking after THEIR interests...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM