• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Cannibis And Sikhism

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Harry ji,

Have gone through your post and have enjoyed it.

Just wondering how addiction actually operates through our physiology. Can you throw some light on this aspect.? Some spinal cord connection or from where nerve center begin and may be neuron or neuro-transmitters..etc..etc. I have only vague idea. I do not know if it is the right thread to initiate discussion. You may kindly take your own time or send me a link for small write up except for US sites on Mental Health.
You may kindly ignore this if it is redundant and out of context.

Moderators are free to delete the post if it is out of place.

I can explain the physiology that you have requested but most of it is quite complex to mention here as it involves the different chemicals released at the junctions or synapses of neurons.
This is what results in the different effects of drugs that mess with our body chemistry.

To keep it simple and brief for all to understand, we can firstly assume it is these neurons and nerve endings that all lead to the brain that gives us our sense of perception such as touch, sight, sound, taste, smell...etc..
Now all recreational drugs become recreational because of this very stimulation of senses as well as the euphoria and good feeling.
NOTE- It is not just stimulation but also the opposite dampening effects that occur elsewhere.
This is what I find interesting and fascinating, since the WHOLE UNIVERSE works in a kind of duality such as day-night, light-dark,positve-negative, up-down, cold-hot,good-bad....etc..etc... So for every positive effect there is also a corresponding negative action be it around us or inside our bodies.
In this case of mood enhancing drugs we also get the dampening numbness and loss of perception to physical pain or stimulation, while enjoying other 'upper' effects/

A well known fact that certain musicians and artists can only work under the influence. This is because cannabis, acid and mdma..etc.. all cause the user to experience enhanced perception in music.
They can hear instruments and sounds that they would not normally hear or distinguish in normal conditions.
Many musicians can't compose unless they haven't had drugs for this very reason. BUT- this also gives the negative effects that affect physical feelings of thirst, hunger, numbness over body, vision and 'downers'(when affect wears off).

So basically for all the positive effects that are normally short term there are also many negative effects with some being short and some long term.
The body does contain many many neurons that are not normally active.
These unactive neurons can be awakened with many recreational drugs. But there are always the drawbacks and negatives that come along.

Nearly all abused drugs of today have been created by researchers looking for benefits of awakening these very dormant neurons and cells. But to this day an ideal wihtout any drawbacks has not been found.

Most of the research is done for armed forces with soldiers being used as tests for these developments. The aim is usually to increase their abilities in combat, alertness, machine control..etc...etc.

The main thing to understand is Yes, the person consuming is and will be experiencing some good chemical actions and feelings, BUT these sensations and benefits can NEVER outweigh the risks and negative drawbacks that the user will encounter in the long term no matter if it is cannabis, heroin, MDMA, ketamines, acid, LSD....etc..etc..

Just as every benefical synthesised medicine has it's side effects and adverse reactions so do all recreational substances.

The 'nasha' from gurbani is the ultimate high without ever any long term negatives. From what I have encountered and experienced in my lifetime, I can in all honesty guarantee this!!!!

Aug 28, 2010
One should spread the following message from Gurbanee as
<TABLE cellSpacing=8 width="93%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੀ ਬਣਤ ਬਣਾਈ

पूरा गुरु पूरी बणत बणाई ॥

Pūrā gur pūrī baṇaṯ baṇā▫ī.

The Perfect Guru has fashioned His perfect fashion.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤ ਮਿਲੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੪॥੨੪॥

नानक भगत मिली वडिआई ॥४॥२४॥

Nānak bẖagaṯ milī vadi▫ā▫ī. ||4||24||

O Nanak, the Lord's devotees are blessed with glorious greatness. ||4||24||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ

आसा महला ५ ॥

Āsā mėhlā 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਬਨਾਵਹੁ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ

गुर कै सबदि बनावहु इहु मनु ॥

Gur kai sabaḏ banāvahu ih man.

I have shaped this mind in the mold of the Guru's Word.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਸੰਚਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ॥੧॥

गुर का दरसनु संचहु हरि धनु ॥१॥

Gur kā ḏarsan sancẖahu har ḏẖan. ||1||

Beholding the Blessed Vision of the Guru's Darshan, I have gathered the wealth of the Lord. ||1||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਊਤਮ ਮਤਿ ਮੇਰੈ ਰਿਦੈ ਤੂੰ ਆਉ

ऊतम मति मेरै रिदै तूं आउ ॥

Ūṯam maṯ merai riḏai ṯūʼn ā▫o.

O sublime understanding, come, enter into my mind,

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਧਿਆਵਉ ਗਾਵਉ ਗੁਣ ਗੋਵਿੰਦਾ ਅਤਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਮੋਹਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਨਾਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

धिआवउ गावउ गुण गोविंदा अति प्रीतम मोहि लागै नाउ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Ḏẖi▫āva▫o gāva▫o guṇ govinḏā aṯ parīṯam mohi lāgai nā▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.

that I may meditate and sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe, and love so dearly the Lord's Name. ||1||Pause||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਅਘਾਵਨੁ ਸਾਚੈ ਨਾਇ

त्रिपति अघावनु साचै नाइ ॥

Ŧaripaṯ agẖāvan sācẖai nā▫e.

I am satisfied and satiated by the True Name.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਅਠਸਠਿ ਮਜਨੁ ਸੰਤ ਧੂਰਾਇ ॥੨॥

अठसठि मजनु संत धूराइ ॥२॥

Aṯẖsaṯẖ majan sanṯ ḏẖūrā▫e. ||2||

My cleansing bath at the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage is the dust of the Saints. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਜਾਨਉ ਕਰਤਾ ਏਕ

सभ महि जानउ करता एक ॥

Sabẖ mėh jān▫o karṯā ek.

I recognize that the One Creator is contained in all.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਬੁਧਿ ਬਿਬੇਕ ॥੩॥

साधसंगति मिलि बुधि बिबेक ॥३॥

Sāḏẖsangaṯ mil buḏẖ bibek. ||3||

Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, my understanding is refined. ||3||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਦਾਸੁ ਸਗਲ ਕਾ ਛੋਡਿ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ

दासु सगल का छोडि अभिमानु ॥

Ḏās sagal kā cẖẖod abẖimān.

I have become the servant of all; I have renounced my ego and pride.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਨੋ ਦਾਨੁ ॥੪॥੨੫॥

नानक कउ गुरि दीनो दानु ॥४॥२५॥

Nānak ka▫o gur ḏīno ḏān. ||4||25||

The Guru has given this gift to Nanak. ||4||25||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ

आसा महला ५ ॥

Āsā mėhlā 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਬੁਧਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸ ਭਈ ਮਤਿ ਪੂਰੀ

बुधि प्रगास भई मति पूरी ॥

Buḏẖ pargās bẖa▫ī maṯ pūrī.

My intellect has been enlightened, and my understanding is perfect.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਤਾ ਤੇ ਬਿਨਸੀ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਦੂਰੀ ॥੧॥

ता ते बिनसी दुरमति दूरी ॥१॥

Ŧā ṯe binsī ḏurmaṯ ḏūrī. ||1||

Thus my evil-mindedness, which kept me far from Him, has been removed. ||1||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਐਸੀ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਪਾਈਅਲੇ

ऐसी गुरमति पाईअले ॥

Aisī gurmaṯ pā▫ī▫ale.

Such are the Teachings which I have received from the Guru;

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਬੂਡਤ ਘੋਰ ਅੰਧ ਕੂਪ ਮਹਿ ਨਿਕਸਿਓ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

बूडत घोर अंध कूप महि निकसिओ मेरे भाई रे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Būdaṯ gẖor anḏẖ kūp mėh niksi▫o mere bẖā▫ī re. ||1|| rahā▫o.

while I was drowning in the pitch black well, I was saved, O my Siblings of Destiny. ||1||Pause||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਮਹਾ ਅਗਾਹ ਅਗਨਿ ਕਾ ਸਾਗਰੁ

महा अगाह अगनि का सागरु ॥

Mahā agāh agan kā sāgar.

To cross over the totally unfathomable ocean of fire;

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰੁ ਬੋਹਿਥੁ ਤਾਰੇ ਰਤਨਾਗਰੁ ॥੨॥

गुरु बोहिथु तारे रतनागरु ॥२॥

Gur bohith ṯāre raṯnāgar. ||2||

The Guru is the boat; He is treasure of jewels. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਦੁਤਰ ਅੰਧ ਬਿਖਮ ਇਹ ਮਾਇਆ

दुतर अंध बिखम इह माइआ ॥

Ḏuṯar anḏẖ bikẖam ih mā▫i▫ā.

This ocean of Maya is dark and treacherous.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥੩॥

गुरि पूरै परगटु मारगु दिखाइआ ॥३॥

Gur pūrai pargat mārag ḏikẖā▫i▫ā. ||3||

The Perfect Guru has revealed the way to cross over it. ||3||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਾਪ ਤਾਪ ਕਛੁ ਉਕਤਿ ਮੋਰੀ

जाप ताप कछु उकति न मोरी ॥

Jāp ṯāp kacẖẖ ukaṯ na morī.

I do not have the ability to chant or practice intense meditation.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਣਾਗਤਿ ਤੋਰੀ ॥੪॥੨੬॥

गुर नानक सरणागति तोरी ॥४॥२६॥

Gur Nānak sarṇāgaṯ ṯorī. ||4||26||

Guru Nanak seeks Your Sanctuary. ||4||26||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ਤਿਪਦੇ

आसा महला ५ तिपदे २ ॥

Āsā mėhlā 5 ṯipḏe 2.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl, Ti-Padas:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਪੀਵਤ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਰਾਤਾ

हरि रसु पीवत सद ही राता ॥

Har ras pīvaṯ saḏ hī rāṯā.

One who drinks in the Lord's sublime essence is forever imbued with it,

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਨ ਰਸਾ ਖਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਤਾ

आन रसा खिन महि लहि जाता ॥

Ān rasā kẖin mėh lėh jāṯā.

while other essences wear off in an instant.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਹਰਿ ਰਸ ਕੇ ਮਾਤੇ ਮਨਿ ਸਦਾ ਅਨੰਦ

हरि रस के माते मनि सदा अनंद ॥

Har ras ke māṯe man saḏā anand.

Intoxicated with the Lord's sublime essence, the mind is forever in ecstasy.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਨ ਰਸਾ ਮਹਿ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਚਿੰਦ ॥੧॥

आन रसा महि विआपै चिंद ॥१॥

Ān rasā mėh vi▫āpai cẖinḏ. ||1||

Other essences bring only anxiety. ||1||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਅਲਮਸਤੁ ਮਤਵਾਰਾ

हरि रसु पीवै अलमसतु मतवारा ॥

Har ras pīvai almasaṯ maṯvārā.

One who drinks in the Lord's sublime essence, is intoxicated and enraptured;

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਨ ਰਸਾ ਸਭਿ ਹੋਛੇ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

आन रसा सभि होछे रे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Ān rasā sabẖ hocẖẖe re. ||1|| rahā▫o.

all other essences have no effect. ||1||Pause||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਹਰਿ ਰਸ ਕੀ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਜਾਇ

हरि रस की कीमति कही न जाइ ॥

Har ras kī kīmaṯ kahī na jā▫e.

The value of the Lord's sublime essence cannot be described.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਸਾਧੂ ਹਾਟਿ ਸਮਾਇ

हरि रसु साधू हाटि समाइ ॥

Har ras sāḏẖū hāt samā▫e.

The Lord's sublime essence permeates the homes of the Holy.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਲਾਖ ਕਰੋਰੀ ਮਿਲੈ ਕੇਹ

लाख करोरी मिलै न केह ॥

Lākẖ karorī milai na keh.

One may spend thousands and millions, but it cannot be purchased.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਿਸਹਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਦੇਹਿ ॥੨॥

जिसहि परापति तिस ही देहि ॥२॥

Jisahi parāpaṯ ṯis hī ḏėh. ||2||

He alone obtains it, who is so pre-ordained. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਚਾਖਿ ਭਏ ਬਿਸਮਾਦੁ

नानक चाखि भए बिसमादु ॥

Nānak cẖākẖ bẖa▫e bismāḏ.

Tasting it, Nanak is wonder-struck.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਆਇਆ ਸਾਦੁ

नानक गुर ते आइआ सादु ॥

Nānak gur ṯe ā▫i▫ā sāḏ.

Through the Guru, Nanak has obtained this taste.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਈਤ ਊਤ ਕਤ ਛੋਡਿ ਜਾਇ

ईत ऊत कत छोडि न जाइ ॥

Īṯ ūṯ kaṯ cẖẖod na jā▫e.

Here and hereafter, it does not leave him.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਗੀਧਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਸ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੩॥੨੭॥

नानक गीधा हरि रस माहि ॥३॥२७॥

Nānak gīḏẖā har ras māhi. ||3||27||

Nanak is imbued and enraptured with the Lord's subtle essence. ||3||27||
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Gur Fateh, young brother,
I appreciate your thirst for Truth. As to the bhang, my observation is that, while I, like you, do not partake at all, historically various cultures around the world have found a place for mind-altering herbs, these were used strictly in ceremonial settings. There is a vast difference between devout ceremonial use of such herbs and recreational use. In today's world, and especially in Sikhi, there is really no place for such use. It is a slippery slope too. American Indians held tobacco to be a sacred herb, so now, after the utter destruction of their world and way of life, many Indians smoke cigarettes in broken imitation of its once-sacred use. Cannabis too, was once used as a true sacrament, but I'll guess maybe 99% of its use today is recreational. So, rather than getting closer to God, people are getting stoned and confused; further away from Him.
Stay strong and rightly-guided, young brother. Waheguru bless you.

Vanguard

SPNer
Nov 8, 2012
Fateh

First let me ask you what is a true nihang? you claim these practices crept in...could you please state a year, evidence, source?

Would Baba Gurbaksh Singh ji shaheed be classed as a false nihang then? because its clearly written in various granths(example parcheen panth parkash) he took shaheedi degh when he woke up and trained.....are you citing what you say due to personal bias?

History is about facts and interpretation correct? so why with written evidence and oral history of the akali nihangs do you defame them and claim no true nihangs consume cannabis?

why do you pick and chose from history? history isnt selective as you clearly are showing it is with your personal bias.

Smoking is a taboo within the panth, whereas Nihangs singhs consume shaheedi degh since the dawn of time and they will continue to do so no matter what other jathebandi claims its a false tradition.

The original vanguards of the panth.

BlazinSikh ji

The true Nihangs were not bhang (cannabis) consumers. These practices crept in throughout the many years.
The hindu dominants were a major influence and still are.
The mahants, who had control of the Sikh religion let so many anti-gurmat practices to creep in.
The real true Nihangs are falsely represented by the bhang consumers.-This is not a true picture.

If you look at the real history from Guru Gobind Singh ji's time, with regards to their formation, dedication and their importance to sikhism, you will understand them a lot better.

We have to remember that as the Nihangs got larger in numbers from their initial formation, many warriors from hindu backrounds contributed the numbers. These many that went from hindu to sikh were users of bhang (followers of lord Shiva etc..) and they kept this use with them, falsely associating it with warrior lifestyle.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 600px; BACKGROUND: #fffff0; HEIGHT: 20px; COLOR: #ff8c0a" border=0 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #fffff0" align=middle>(Page1377) </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #fffff0" align=middle>"kabeer bhaang maachhulee suraa paan jo jo praanee khaa(n)hi. teerat barat nem kee-e te sabhe rsaatal jaa(n).

O Kabeer! If people after ‘speaking with the Holy’ and go on pilgrimages, perform fasts and practice rituals etc, and those sharaabi, intoxicated, people also consume marijuana and fish (i.e. they attend the Satsang and also consume Sharaab-Kebab and commit immoral deeds) – those persons' pilgrimages, fasts and rituals are totally useless. "

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Guru Granth Sahib does not anywhere encourage intoxicants.

Nowadays the bhang consumers will claim that it's an old tradition.
It is infact an old warrior tradition, but NOT sikh in any way, -and it shouldn't be mistaken for anything sikhi.

We will always get sikhs that use cannabis, try to justify it by claiming to be nihangs. But a true sikh will know that use of intoxicants is anti-gurmat.

This subject has been mentioned in other posts. I hope it answers your questions.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM