• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hinduism Can You See The End Of Superstition?

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
Up to a million Hindu devotees gathered on Tuesday in a village in Nepal to witness the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of animals in a mass sacrifice that has drawn widespread criticism.
Worshippers travelled long distances, many coming from India, to attend the two-day Gadhimai festival, which honours the Hindu goddess of power and takes place once every five years in southern Nepal.
click for detail and Photographs--->

'World's biggest animal sacrifice' begins in Nepal

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Worshippers travelled long distances, many coming from India, to attend the two-day Gadhimai festival, which honours the Hindu goddess of power and takes place once every five years in southern Nepal.
Hindu Goddess of Power cannot rob power from the powerless animals. She should rob power from the powerful.

What a stupid Goddess she must be.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
This is the first couple paragraphs from The Times of India article about this disgusting slaughter.

KATHMANDU: Thousands of Indians from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and other states bordering Nepal swarmed to the Himalayan republic’s southern plains

Tuesday to attend a notorious Hindu fair there and sacrifice animals and birds in the hope their wishes would be fulfilled.

While a debate began to grow in Nepal about the Gadhimai Fair in Bara district and the wanton cruelty it inflicted on animals, the festival drew its strength from zealous Indian attendees who have been flocking to it every five years in a bid to circumvent the ban imposed on animal sacrifices in their own states.

Satyaban

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
No problem with it as long as they are eaten. If they're wasted then yes its disgusting.

Though it has to be said, its weird that Commies in Nepal haven't banned this.

Brother:
I am surprised at your response but you certainly are entitled to it. Didn't the news story mention that many went after to drink alcohol. Those who attended did not go for the meat. They would be gone before that many animals could be butchered, furthermore most of the animals would begin to rot before they could be. I also have doubts that anyone will eat the birds and such animals.

What kind of Goddess would be pleased at this. I think the thought of personal sacrifice has gone horribly wrong.

Peace
Satyaban

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Brother:
I am surprised at your response but you certainly are entitled to it. Didn't the news story mention that many went after to drink alcohol. Those who attended did not go for the meat. They would be gone before that many animals could be butchered, furthermore most of the animals would begin to rot before they could be. I also have doubts that anyone will eat the birds and such animals.

What kind of Goddess would be pleased at this. I think the thought of personal sacrifice has gone horribly wrong.

Peace
Satyaban

In south Asian countries hardly anything is going to be wasted.The price of buffaloe meat is above 100 rupees and there is rampant mixing of it in the mutton so I am quite sure nothing is going to wasted.Also if such a large numberof carcasses are allowed to be rot then it could spread diseases.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
Brother:

Peace
Satyaban

to be honest I read about this a while back and did not read this exact article. Animal sacrifice has long existed in Hinduism. Whether the goddess wants it, I don't know. What I know is that People of any religion convince themselves that this is what their god wants whether its right or not. e.g. Aghorees who are mainly followers of Shiva use human skulls for black magic. Not only that, many times are they caught grave robbing. Do i think its right? No. Do they think its right? Yes. Do people pay them for the use of the souls of those skulls? Yes. In the end its all a business. The meat in this sacrifice is probably not wasted. Nepalis probably have a big feast at the Indians expense.

Looking throughout the world, all Islamic meat is a sacrifice to Allah no matter what they say. Infact, There was a video on this site where a goat is sacrificed at Hazoor Sahib? for the Tilak. Whether its used for Tilak or for offering, point is an animal is killed.

I don't really know why they would kill for the Goddess. Plus this is Nepal I have no idea about their traditions. What I do know is that in India atleast in the pilgrimage towns of Durga or 'Sheranwali Mata' in Punjabi, the goats etc are "donated" but not sacrificed. they are left to roam. I had the unfortunate experience of being headbutted by a young male goat who had been left to roam in Chint Purni in Himachal. No one eats them because they're an offering to the goddess.

The only hindu goddesses who I know of in terms of sacrifice is Kali. It is the belief of Kali worshippers that Kali wants blood so they give it to her.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM