• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can One Convert To Sikhism?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
<<You see, my interpretation of gurbani has lead me to believe that the wearing of a turban is not a necessity to harbour a love and a passion for Sikkh teachings and Sikkh history. But your interpretation is obviously somewhat different.>>

i too beleive that inner spirituality is much more important than outer appearance.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
In terms of outward appearance, wearing a turban, 5 k's and other things are pointless if the person wearing them does not know the basic meaning of sikhi or the symbols themselves. This is a radical departure for most people today, but it's the right way.

The first step in becoming a Sikh of waheguru, and any church or faith for that matter is to learn what god is and "his" qualities are, and about the basic principles and values. If you follow that and build on that, the physical outward appearance will naturally follow.

Suntink

SPNer
Nov 6, 2008
I think it is fine or even good if one converts to Sikhism. But my question is the person converting are they going to follow Sikhism or are they going to follow a new branch that has come from Sikhism. Like the teachings of 3HO, Radhasoami's, radicalism, black magic.
I have no problem at all with a person converting to Sikhism, but I want them to know that as a Sikh you can wear whatever clothes you want, do whatever yoga, speak whatever language, where whatever colour turban and eat whatever meat as long as the animal was not tortured.

Why are so many new converts to Sikhism following practices that when a Sikhs whose great grand parents where Sikh asks his/her parents about these practices they know absolutely nothing about them. Are people trying to tell us that Kundalini yoga will help you with Sikhism and it is a really good practice for Sikhism? Well let's be frank our great-great grandparents where Sikh and no one in our families for generations know anything about Kundalini Yoga. Not just that but a living human Guru, black magic, inner light and sound, Hind Gods, idol worship. We don't know anything about these things and some internet sites tells us that Sikhs are also Hindus and that they believe in Hindu Gods and that you can see light after doing Yoga. I think I saw something on this post about people not being allowed to convert.
In my opinion I hope Sikhs remember that Guru Nanak’s message is that everyone is always allowed at a Gurdwara. We are a non-denominational religion.

I really believe that what I wrote is completly appropriate, so I hope it is not taken in the wrong way. :thumbup:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I think it is fine or even good if one converts to Sikhism. But my question is the person converting are they going to follow Sikhism or are they going to follow a new branch that has come from Sikhism. Like the teachings of 3HO, Radhasoami's, radicalism, black magic.
I have no problem at all with a person converting to Sikhism, but I want them to know that as a Sikh you can wear whatever clothes you want, do whatever yoga, speak whatever language, where whatever colour turban and eat whatever meat as long as the animal was not tortured.

Why are so many new converts to Sikhism following practices that when a Sikhs whose great grand parents where Sikh asks his/her parents about these practices they know absolutely nothing about them. Are people trying to tell us that Kundalini yoga will help you with Sikhism and it is a really good practice for Sikhism? Well let's be frank our great-great grandparents where Sikh and no one in our families for generations know anything about Kundalini Yoga. Not just that but a living human Guru, black magic, inner light and sound, Hind Gods, idol worship. We don't know anything about these things and some internet sites tells us that Sikhs are also Hindus and that they believe in Hindu Gods and that you can see light after doing Yoga. I think I saw something on this post about people not being allowed to convert.
In my opinion I hope Sikhs remember that Guru Nanak’s message is that everyone is always allowed at a Gurdwara. We are a non-denominational religion.

I really believe that what I wrote is completly appropriate, so I hope it is not taken in the wrong way. :thumbup:

I think Sikhism is broad enough to encompass many diverse opinions. Follow what is in your heart and I don't think you can go wrong.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Suntink ji

Actually I think you would find many SPN members in agreement with what you have posted above. Reading some months and years back in the SPN forum threads you will see that many of the issues you have mentioned have been discussed and your point of view is well-represented. I don't think Sikhism is non-denominational as much as it is a tolerant religion. Don't let people on the Internet rattle your cage.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM