• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can One Convert To Sikhism?

Dec 8, 2005
Toronto
Being a Sikh is being disciplined, fearless & helping the needful. If you want to convert to Sikhism just start disciplining your life as per Sikh rehat maryada before taking Amrit, the baptism. Once you get adjusted to the lifestyle as per Sikhism it will be easier for you to get baptised. Also regarding you being underwent mockery of Gurudwara authorities, its really bad but those people get embarassed easily when they see people like you following their religion so passionately. So don,t worry just make up your mind & go ahead. Once you will be into it there won't be any looking back.
Regards,

Yvan

SPNer
Apr 2, 2006
Hello,

i searched for "Can one convert to Sikhism" on Google and i found your site that way. I am very pleased to be part of that site. I was curious since quite a long time about Sikhism but I started to read the Guru Granth Sahib lately, after listening to a song called "Aadays Tisai Aadays" from Snatam Kaur cd "Prem". I was deeply touch by that mantra even before i realise it was from the Guru Granth Sahib: "
aadays tisai aadays.
I bow to Him, I humbly bow.
aad aneel anaad anaahat jug jug ayko vays.
The Primal One, the Pure Light, without beginning, without end. Throughout all the ages, He is One and the Same".

I decided afterwards to start reading Guru Granth Sahib. I live in Montreal and they talked a lot about the kirpan controversy. One positive thing about it is that the Lachine gudwara opened his temple to medias and people interested to know more about sikh religion. I have 2 questions: are there other people from Montreal here and does someone know the difference between those 2 gudwaras: Sikh Temple Association in Lachine and Gurdwara Sahib Quebec in Verdun. I know the Lachine temple can accomodate 3,000 people and some people even come from US to visit that temple.

I thank you all for your warm reception and for your opening of spirit to the new members in search of information.

Yvan

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
wanderer, i am 18 years of age. Sometime now, i have had fear of death. An unexpected death of mny grandmother in india has led me to a shock. But then i realsied, what about the gurus? Why wasn it not a big thing for the gurus? And, why is it so easy to die in the first place in life. Maybe we dont actually belong here? This is just like a simulation, a test, a project for god. Sikhism, is about, letting go. Let go, be free, go to the truth, god, who prevails everywhere, were without god there wouldnt be anything, because god is everything. The way the Sikh Gurus died...and yet, people cry over their family members dying. Why? Do we even know where we were before we were born. What were we? Dont you think our souls were invisible, and we were actually everything? We were this world. We were simply with god? And yet we tend to forget that, we actually belong somewhere higher, the ultimate reailty. This life is only physical. Let everything out of you comeout. I truely want to be a sikh, and i want to take amrit, but even thoguh i have learnt alot about sikhism, i am still concerned about my ego, because people may not like me, but im thinkking to go where god inteded us to go in the first place.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Anoop said:
wanderer, i am 18 years of age. Sometime now, i have had fear of death. An unexpected death of mny grandmother in india has led me to a shock. But then i realsied, what about the gurus? Why wasn it not a big thing for the gurus? And, why is it so easy to die in the first place in life. Maybe we dont actually belong here? This is just like a simulation, a test, a project for god. Sikhism, is about, letting go. Let go, be free, go to the truth, god, who prevails everywhere, were without god there wouldnt be anything, because god is everything. The way the Sikh Gurus died...and yet, people cry over their family members dying. Why? Do we even know where we were before we were born. What were we? Dont you think our souls were invisible, and we were actually everything? We were this world. We were simply with god? And yet we tend to forget that, we actually belong somewhere higher, the ultimate reailty. This life is only physical. Let everything out of you comeout. I truely want to be a sikh, and i want to take amrit, but even thoguh i have learnt alot about sikhism, i am still concerned about my ego, because people may not like me, but im thinkking to go where god inteded us to go in the first place.

Thanks Anoop, very refreshing... i think we have to be fearfull of our death of the mind. We may live and die physically, but we must always meditate and beleive in our guru and never let ourselves go off the true path, no matter what it is.

Mar 22, 2006
The Path of Nanak is one of experience not beliefs. It can come by Grace, it can come by destiny. Although many Sikhs originated in the Punjab, since 1969, the 500th anniversary of Guru Nanak's birth, many more non-Punjabis have adopted the teachings of the Shabd Guru.
This path is not a philosophy. It is discipline. It requires commitment to the Soul.
Bani, Bana, Simran, Seva. These are 4 pillars of Sikhism. (Sikhi) I don't see it as converting. I see it as remembering who you are. When one arrives at that state of consciousness, one has "Free -Will" That Divine Will is the ONLY Will. Everything else is illusion. Maya. Its all God, but God is the Doer. God is the Devotion, but beyond emotion. Its is the Intelligence but beyond the intellect.
This path is one that must be lived from the moment you rise to the moment you lay your head down on the pillow and eventually leave this earhtly abode.
Spiritual path is one that prepares the life for death.
When one dies while still alive, one is liberated. This comes when the 10th gate opens and the soul merges with Akal Purkh. The undying Soul.
I humbly suggest that you learn to meditate using Wahe Guru or Sat Nam while linking it to your breath.
Its doesn't matter that anyone looks at you with disdain or they may be embarassed that they don't practice the Rehit of Guru Sahib. You have to face the Lord with the courage of a LIon. Youi must make your self so beautiful and shining that the God comes to sit with you.
This path is challenging but with Guru's Grace you will complete the journey. WE all will.
Blessings oh pilgrem. Keep Up and Keep going.........

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
some more helpful advice for new ppl entering sikhi..

*You don't have to learn punjabi nor be of the culture
*guru ji accepts you, so be who you are
*5 K's is a must for khalsa, alos recommended for keshdai's and regular sikhs
*Ask around in you local sangat for other sikhs who have converted.
*Do sewa when youcan, and meditate on god, wahegur, etc...

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
I've been studying Sikhism recently, and even am considering conversions. But I need much more time studying. I have not gone to a gurdwara yet (even just to see what it is like), I never have even seen one in South Florida.

But Wanderer, I would love to chat and see what you know and maybe we can learn from each other. I am half Brazilian, half Italian and Swiss. Only, I look very white so no one believes me!

Lionchild, I have a question on your advice. I've read of the 5 Ks, and one of them is a sort of instrument like a small dagger, correct? (I'm new at this, so please tell me if I'm being offensive). How would one carry this around at school or in an airport? That is one things that worries me, I don't want to get arrested. And with the stereotypes, people might think I'm a terrorist.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Conversion means changing one's mechanical rituals from one religion to the other. Inner quest is not guaranteed as one is bogged down and busy adopting the dogmas of the new found religion.

Sikhi doesnot convert because Sikhi is not a dogmatic religion but a pragmatic way of life.

Pragmatism needs no conversion but an extreme makeover from inside out. Like from a caterpillar to a butterfly, metamorphosis.

Sikhi is the only way of life named for the followers unlike all other major raligions. And to be a Sikh is not exclusive to anyone. Any person who is a seeker, a learner, a student, IS a Sikh, irrespective of the hue,creed or faith.

Tejwant

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
I am not a baptized Sikh and I haven't even thought about baptizing (5'Ks of Khalsa) at the moment. Certain events or say somehow I was forced to think about God and why I don't believe in it. Reading Guru Granth I have done 180 degrees on this. I have realised what Humay is, translated in english "I". Guru Granth has removed my doubt.
Guru Granth is written in a poetic form, in my opinion to fully admire it you have to read it in Gurmukhi/Punjabi. In my opinion this is your greatest challenge.

Guru Grant is written in Ragas (melodic modes used in Indian classical music). The first Rag is Shrirag, Rag for night or darkness and last one is Rag Prahbat , rag for morning - light. Rag Jaijawanti was later added by Guru Gobind to the final composition. So for fools like me the darkness is dispelled as we go through the journey.

You can get good understanding of it in english but you will appreciate it a lot more if read in punjabi - mind you further translation of the words is still required but these days it all easy. its all on the net.

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
I have a question. Is it okay to call oneself a Sikh if one has not converted yet? As long as we believe it with all our hearts and are students (which makes one a Sikh, true?) always learning more about the Gurus and Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

There is a gurdwara in Central Florida, I am in the South. That is quite a trip for a high schooler to make. And who's to say they'd accept me? Especially since I am not 18 yet.

Also, is it allowable to have any of the five K's if I am not converted officially?

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear HannahBanana ji

Yes definately you can call yourself Sikh as everybody is infact a student ( SIKH ) so no bother there .

About the 5K , you can start with Uncut Kesh( HAIR ) and KARA ( Iron Bangle).

About going to Gurdwara , it would be nice if you can make upto it but if not possible then reading at home and alos at SPN is not bad either to start with as the main purpose of gurdwara is to join congretion in Presence of Guru Granth sahib .

Jatinder Singh

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Thank you so much for clarifying that!

If I do manage to go to a gurdwara, I would have to cover my head, correct?
What about choosing a Sikh name?

Again, thank you, Jatinder Singh Ji!

Neemai108

SPNer
Sep 10, 2006
Tustin, CA
Hi HannahBanana,

Im somehwat like you, in the middle of everything, still trying to figure things out. But at one point, I used to visit the Gurudwara every sunday (which I should once again resume) and everytime I covered my head. Covering your head in the presence of Guru Granth Ji is a sign of respect. Even in other cultures this is present, that when one enters a house of worship or holy place, they cover their head out of respect for God. Most muslims cover their head when they pray or enter a dargah or mosque. Many hindus also cover their heads, but not as many today. besides the fact that it is required to cover your head at the gurudwara, I chose to cover my head, because its my way of showing respect to Guruji when I am in his presence.

Also can anyone help me on a question. Regarding the uncut kesh. Im not a born sikh, Ive grown up as a hindu so i dont know the detail details about exceptions and what not. I have a skin condition which requires me to keep short, if any hair otherwise my scalp and face and places around my ears break out into rashes and i scratch till it bleeds. Hence even the doctor has advised me to keep as short hair as possible. Now seeing that the uncut kesh is a requirement of Sikh, how can follow through when I have this condition. Does anybody know. The same with my beard, I cannot keep it long, I have to shave it off otherwise my face breaks out into rashes and it flakes. Its something out of my reach. Its kind of depressing because i have a desire to keep these things and follow the sikh faith as much i can, but i cant. What should be advised?

Thanks

Suren

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Also can anyone help me on a question. Regarding the uncut kesh. Im not a born sikh, Ive grown up as a hindu so i dont know the detail details about exceptions and what not. I have a skin condition which requires me to keep short, if any hair otherwise my scalp and face and places around my ears break out into rashes and i scratch till it bleeds. Hence even the doctor has advised me to keep as short hair as possible. Now seeing that the uncut kesh is a requirement of Sikh, how can follow through when I have this condition. Does anybody know. The same with my beard, I cannot keep it long, I have to shave it off otherwise my face breaks out into rashes and it flakes. Its something out of my reach. Its kind of depressing because i have a desire to keep these things and follow the sikh faith as much i can, but i cant. What should be advised?

Dear Suren

My personal Opinion !

If cuting your hair is part of genuine Medical problem then offcourse you can cut them as these peractices in Sikhism are meant to motivate us for Spirtual Path but till you cant do it for medical reason I think it is ok!

What about choosing a Sikh name?

many times people new into sikhism keep new name which is spirtual name , kind of signifying start of something new . But keeping your name is also Ok!

In Sikhism Officially All males uses SINGH ( roughly meaning Lion)as Surname and Females use KAUR ( meaning Princess)as surname.
So you can Just add surname to your name

Jatinder Singh

Neemai108

SPNer
Sep 10, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thank you for the answer Dr. Khalsa ji. I had a feeling that would be the answer. If i could, I would most definately have grown out a kesh, but ufortunately im unable to, but im still devoted to God, and I think as long as I have deep devotion for him, he will understand. Though i cannot have long hair, I still wear a kara which reminds me of God constantly. The circle of the Kara has no beginning nor end, just as God. It represents the number 0 which is infinite in reality, just as God is. (ive also gotten Ek Ongkar, Satnaam Sri Waheguru engraved on it :p).

This november will be my very first (and hopefully not last) trip Sri Darbaar Sahib. Im also visitng places like Sis Ganj in Delhi, Gurudwara Rajghat in Kurukshetra, and also to Anandpur Sahib, and if possible to Hazur Sahib in Nanded. I cannot wait for this trip. Its my dream to one day go to the major historical gurudwaras in india, especially to Hemkund Sahib, and also Nanakana Sahib and Panja Sahib in Pakistan. Ive been suffering from severe depression for the past two years, and this trip to India i am visiting many places of pilgrimage and i pray that the atmosphere will have an affect on me. There is no doubt God resides within every atom in this universe, but I think that visiting a spiritual place does have a positive reenforcing affect on us. Who knows maybe by the mercy of the Lord, and Guru Ji, my condition may improve and one day i might be able to grow a kesh. But for now, whatever God wills, I shall follow :). Are there any tips as to what I should do when I visit Darbaar Sahib to ensure that my trip there is complete?

Hahaha, Hannah Kaur. It sounds good haha. Hannah, how did you come into contact with the Sikh faith and the teachings of the Gurus, etc?

Thanks once again Dr. Khalsa.

Suren

(Suren is short for Surendra, in Punjabi that would be Surinder :p)

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
I feel kind of stupid saying this, but I saw Bend It Like Beckham. Everytime they mentioned Guru Nanak I felt a kind of warm feeling. It was odd. I saw the wedding which took up the last 1/4 of the movie and I loved it. So after I saw that I started researching and I loved what I read. Some may think that a movie is an immature way to find a religion, but teens these days (well, I love to read, so maybe not me) don't seem to like to read, and sometimes only movies reach out to them.

Anyway, this made me begin my life as a Sikh. I also spent some time reading quotes from the Gurus and they were very very wise men. I loved it.

Oh, do you know where I can get an English copy of GSS? I would love to learn Punjabi and read the original one, but that is quite hard to do right now, what with school and French class. But I will try to learn some things.

How did you find Sikhism, if you don't mind my asking.

Peace Neemai Ji,

Hannah (But I thought Sabooree might be a nice name, what do you think?)

Neemai108

SPNer
Sep 10, 2006
Tustin, CA
Hii Hannahh!

Haha, i dont think its stupid that you found Sikhism in that way. Afterall God leads us to him in many different ways, and who knows a movie can be one :p. Thats good you find it nice. I believe its always always good to find something that is spiritually solid, no matter what religion it may be. All religions lead to the same God, like all rivers lead to the same ocean. But some rivers curve alot, some are straight, some have more obstacles then others and requirements, but eventually they meet the great infinite ocean. And in my opinion, I find sikhism quite straightforward, and with the least number of obstacles.

Honestly, when I was a child, I was afraid of Sikhs :p. I was terrified of turbans and big beards. (But then again I was also afraid of bald people, hence Gandhi was :p for me). But eventually i outgrew that childrish fear. My first real encounter with the faith was at my cousins wedding. He married a Sikh, and after the wedding ceremony, they did some Shabad Gurbani and Kirtan, and when I listened to it, it filled my heart with joy, happiness, and bliss. and thats when I looked into it seriously. Since I grew up as Hindu, I saw God always in the form of Rama, the hero of the Ramayana. So no matter what spiritual path I follow, even if it doesnt worship the Rama of the Ramayan, I still certainly call that God by the name Rama. Once I was in doubt about God, and I got rather confused about his relation to other Gods and all that. But that sunday I had gone to the Gurudwara, and I guess they had issued a Random Hukumnama for that day, and it came from Shalok, Mahalla 9. And quoted the 9th master: "Sub Sukh Data Ram Hai, Dusar Nahi Na Koi". "There is One Blissful Lord, And no Other" And I felt as if my prayer and my doubts were directly cleared by God via Guruji. And since then my faith in Guruji has been great. I may not see my God Rama as the Hero of the Ramayan anymore, but he is still Rama as the cosmic creator, time less Lord. Afterall, Goswami Tulasidas writes in his own Ramayan, that above the formed and the formless Rama, there is the name of Rama which is supreme. Just thought I would share my experiencee of how I started to follow Guruji's words.

Regarding where to find a copy of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I found a copy of the Adi Granth (pretty much same as the Guru Granth Sahib, excepting the title) from Amazon.com, but it was about 70 some dollars. I found my copy of the Dasam granth from Amazon as well. but since your a student you might not have the money for that Id suggest reading it online:
Holy Guru Granth Sahib .
You can find the whole thing there online. And im positive there are probably other sites out there which have it as well. And if staying on the internet to read it is an issue, at the most you can print it out and read it, just keep it clean and nicely, maybe even bind it, because it should be respected just as any scripture, and especially for sikhs as the Granth Sahib (aka Adi Granth) are the words of the living Guru and embodiment of the 10 Gurus. Hopefully this will be helpful. I myself cannot read or write Punjabi, but I i can atleast understand msot of it. I suppose as you become more fimilar with the religion and while listening to the Gurbani etc you'll catch on too. Its helpful. although even when not understanding it, the way the gurbani is sung, it immediatly pierces your heart.

Hope this all helps,

Suren

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Hello, Neemai Ji!

Thank you for understanding. I love your story! I would love to go to a Sikh wedding, Think how joyous it must be!

I listened to a random Hukumnama today in Punjabi, then the man went into detail translating each line. It was about 23 minutes. I found it here: Daily Hukamnama from Harimandir Sahib, the Golden Temple just in case you want to take a look.
I love how Gurabani sounds, they sing it with such passion and devotion.

Thank you for the link!! I couldn't possibly print all that! But maybe some of it at a time, so no one will notice all the ink gone in the printer in one day! haha

How do you do Banis? Do you have a Gutka?

Thank you a million times!
Hannah

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM