• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Besam Rules! Zucchini And Chickpea Pancakes

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Zucchini and chickpea pancakes
by maki

Zucchini pancakes are one way to use up a lot at once. This version uses chickpea flour instead of wheat flour or eggs, with a little bit of spice in it. It’s great hot or cold, and is a perfect snack, side dish or complete vegan main dish, since the chickpea flour is such a terrific source of protein and carbs (nutritional info). Serve it with a salsa, curry, or just on its own. Here I just served them with some super-ripe tomato wedges. The shredded zucchini adds moisture and a rather creamy texture, which I love.

Chickpea flour is used in Mediterranean and Indian cooking. I get mine from a local Indian grocery store, where it’s sold as gram flour; it’s also known as besan, ceci flour, and so on.

Zucchini and chickpea pancakes

Makes 2 large pancakes, which make 2 main dish servings or 4 appetizer/side dish servings

3 medium zucchini, or about 4 cups shredded
2 zucchini flowers (optional; adds a bit of color)
Some coriander or basil leaves (optional: adds flavor)
1 cup chickpea flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garam masala
1/2 tsp. hot red chili powder
1/2 tsp. curry powder
Olive oil for cooking
Equipment needed: a non-stick frying pan

Finely shred the zucchini - I use a food processor for this. Julienne the zucchini flowers and the herbs. Put all into a large bowl; add the salt, spices and the chickpea flour. Mix well - the moisture that comes out of the zucchini may be enough to turn this into a batter, but if not add a tiny bit of water, just so that it turns moist but not runny.

Heat up a small (8 inch / 20cm) non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add some olive oil and spread around. Put in about half of the batter and spread around to form a circle. Cook for about 5 minutes, then turn and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until it’s cooked all the way through. (You can slice into the middle a bit to see if there’s any batter oozing still; if so, cook a bit more.) Repeat for the other half of the batter.

Cut into wedges, and serve hot or at room temperature.

Note: If you want a crispy outside, use more oil in the pan; if you want it soft (and less caloric) add less. You can use ghee or butter instead of the olive oil.

http://www.justhungry.com/zucchini-and-chickpea-pancakes

Attachments

• zucchinipancakes2.jpg
    zucchinipancakes2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Reads: 354

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani is right that almost any veg, which you can grate or shred, can be substituted. Potato, onion would also do it. You can even mix them up. Make sure that there is enough moisture to dissolve the besam. You can see in the recipe that you need some batter to ooze around the vegetables to hold them together. :)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Its Healthy, Filling and can even be a substitute for "dinner/lunch" !! Some days after this snack at tea time (afternoon 4pm) i skip dinner...
In Punjab where they use unrefined HOME MADE oils..the taste is much better...after all their besan and the other ingredients are also home grown...the only thing that i dont like the home made unrefined oil..leaves a lot of residue/bubbles on the pakorras/snacks...these bubbles refuse to subside even when the thing is cold..they just sort of burst on site !!..japposatnamwaheguru:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM