• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Beadbi Of Karah Parshad On "Bani Serial"

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Re: Beadbi of Karah Parshad on "Bani Serial

It's fiction, depicting a character who does not respect his spouse or her sentiments for him. I don't think it has any impact on karah prasad in actuality.

For all we know the writers later on in the story might have the character visiting a Gurudwara in humility to beg forgiveness for mistreating his wife & acting in hankaar. I think the general gist of these types of shows is to give some broad moral lessons in the context of the family melodrama that so many viewers are attracted to.

Just my 2 cents.

Guru Fateh!

Jul 18, 2007
London

Unfortunately our resources are wasted by such fire fighting, in most cases its not even fire we are fighting like in this "beadbi" case, just a bit of drizzle and we attempt to create a storm.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

And here are the REAL FACTS..the late jathedar SANTOKH SINGH whose son GK Now runs the Delhi Gurdwara management Committee on behalf of BADAL...was leading the DGMC back in the days when Morarji dsai was PM of India. Being the Syncophant that Jathedars in Delhi are (GK is also one )..Santokh took Karah parshad from Bangla sahib to Visit MDesai...and tried to give it to him..Desai REFUSED point blank saying its too GREASY and his health doesnt allow that..BUT Santokh the super syncophant couldnt take NO for an answer...so he kept insisting..take it take it..its parshaad..its HOLY..its form the GURU..who gave his ehad..blah blah blah...until Desai got so ****** off that he replied..OK Sardar Ji..if you insist..RUB that DAMN THING on my BALD HEAD...and you know what...Santokh did just THAT...and that wanst BEADBI ?? NO Ji...not IF badal jathedar does it..then its probably "OPPOSITE of Beabi..imagine Karrah parshaad on top of Indian PM Head..how much more HIGHER can the Gurus Holy parshaad get ???

:mundakhalsaflag::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing:

Nov 23, 2010

we as human beings must not and should not be subjected to such terrible acting
It's a terrible tragedy that happens every day. You should look up some latin american "Telenovelas" .
I know the community has much bigger fish to fry . My point was more one of curiosity. Is their intent to insult ? I understand that Sikhs are the butt of jokes on TV but do they ever show statues of Ganesha or Shiva being smashed by a character in a soap opera ?
Here in Mexico they belittle Muslims who are enraged over Cartoons of Muhammad but If the same was done with an image of the Virgin De Guadelupe, look out!!!
Little insults generally pave the way for bigger ones later.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

Is their intent to insult ?

IDK. Perhaps they didn't do proper research before dishing out a Sikh-related plot. Anyways this isn't the first such case, improper portrayal of Sikhs has been continuing for long. Sikhs doing Hindu puja, cap-like turbans, cleanshaven turban-wearing Sikh characters, disrespect of turban and Sikh articles of faith etc are a common sight on Indian television. But what I feel is that it is more due to ignorance than due to a deliberate attempt at maligning the Sikh faith. The name of this particular serial was changed to 'Bani' from 'Gurbani' after a protest by the community, directors and scriptwriters had pleaded ignorance then.

do they ever show statues of Ganesha or Shiva being smashed by a character in a soap opera ?

I haven't seen one showing an idol being smashed. But if were ever telecast, there would sure be a nationwide outrage.

Nov 23, 2010

I feel is that it is more due to ignorance than due to a deliberate attempt at maligning the Sikh faith. The name of this particular serial was changed to 'Bani' from 'Gurbani' after a protest by the community, directors and scriptwriters had pleaded ignorance then.
The plea of ignorance sounds really lame for me . If you're being paid to write a script about a group of people you're not farmiliar with I would expect a minimum amount of research.
What would it take to Google "Sikh" ?
Imagine the backlash in the states if they portrayed the character of an clean shaven Hassidic Jew eating a bacon double cheeseburger.:angryyoungsingh:

Nov 23, 2010
I feel sorry for the Catholics whose religion is subject to comedy AND horror shows/movies. Yet they don't seem to be too bothered by it.
Ishna ji,
Generally speaking, the intent is different. The characters in "Sister Act" or "Nacho Libre" are shown in a good light and I have Catholic friends that regard the Exorcist and the Exocism of Emily Rose almost like documentaries. No sentiments hurt here.
A more appropriate example is when Sinead O'Connor ripped up a Photo of the Pope. Now that ruffled a few feathers.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

IDK. Perhaps they didn't do proper research before dishing out a Sikh-related plot. Anyways this isn't the first such case, improper portrayal of Sikhs has been continuing for long. Sikhs doing Hindu puja, cap-like turbans, cleanshaven turban-wearing Sikh characters, disrespect of turban and Sikh articles of faith etc are a common sight on Indian television. But what I feel is that it is more due to ignorance than due to a deliberate attempt at maligning the Sikh faith. The name of this particular serial was changed to 'Bani' from 'Gurbani' after a protest by the community, directors and scriptwriters had pleaded ignorance then.

There are sikhs who do do Hindu pooja,There plenty who wear cap like turbans.Clean shaven turbanned sikhs are not common only in Hindi channels but also in Punjabi Film industry have never seen turban being disrected in Hindi Tv serial or film , but I have seen it disrespected in punjabi film " wasda rahe punjab saada" where in the end younger brother puts his turban in the feet of his nri brother calling it jatt thing

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Bhul Chuf Maaf karni, but is this what Sikhs in the modern era have been reduced to -- debating over whether the appropriate, "respectful" image has been portrayed in popular media?

What about doing something for the thousands of people suffering as a result of the disaster in the Philippines? Or volunteering at a local charity? Or if nothing else, at least reading Gurbani to better learn and understand and act on Guru Sahib's teachings?

Sikhs throughout history have never really been bothered by what the masses thought of them. They had total faith in Guru, and they pledged all allegiance to Guru and Guru only. They were more concerned with their own actions and character. The saying goes, "Take care of your character and your reputation reputation will take care of itself." And history is witness to the bravery, valor, and immaculate behavior of the Sikhs. And thus the world lauded them and praised them, and held them in honor and great respect. Even today, in the UK, the heroes of WWII are remembered with the highest honors and respect.

This happened not because the Sikhs of old complained and worried about what the world thought about them. This happened because those Sikhs followed their Guru's teaching in their lives, backed up with action.

In these times it appears that Sikhs are falling prey to the great corporate marketing machine. Sikhi was never about image, it was always all about action.

Our ancestors are dead and gone. They played their part, and they are done. We can't keep riding the coat tails of their successes forever -- at some point we have to step up and deliver. We are in the game now, so it's up to us. We must act and live Sikhi in our daily lives, not just recount stories of old glory and have debates over meaningless issues. Like a toothless old lion.

Bhul Chuk maaf.

Guru Fateh!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM