• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Are Creator And Creation The Same In Sikhism?

Ozarks

SPNer
Jun 20, 2009
Anyway this is what I think and believe. I am not trying to influence anyone or anything like that.

Satyaban Ji,

It is no problem. I enjoy hearing others views. One of the primary reasons I believe that God created us is so He/we can learn from perspectives not His/our own.
That line of thought stems from one of the questions I sought to understand when I first tried to understand the big "whys". That question is "Why was everything created". My conclusion was to answer a question God could not. That question was "What was it like not to be God". That boils down to a question of self/ego. That is the principal reason I believe that we come closer to God by attempting to relinquish ego. Oddly enough letting go of this illusion allows us to reach out to the Source of all Creation. (That's the short version anyway. ;))
Again I enjoy hearing (and reading) other thoughts/views.

May the light of the Creator illuminate your path.

May 2, 2009
Creator and created are one only in Sikhism . The creator resides in all his creation , the beings , the vegetation etc in every iota of it . he permeates every nook and corner of his creation and watches his beings , looks after them and is observant of the worldly play that he has created . The creator and his creation are the one .

Commercial spam deleted. Please do not repeat this performance.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Satnamwaheguru ji

You have said something that puzzles me. You have said "Creator and created are one only in Sikhism", I can only assume that you have not read my previous post. More probably I have misunderstood you.

Peace
Satyaban

Creator and created are one only in Sikhism "​

Aug 28, 2010
THE concept that CREATOR and CREATION are one in Sikhism is a bit confusing unless we specifically define the CREATOR and CREATION.
If we consider the UNIVERSE as CREATION then CREATOR and CREATION are certainly different although CREATOR is present within every CREATION.
This is So because all creations are under the influence of TRINITY whereas CREATOR is absolutely free from the influence of TRINITY.

A point of significance is that we generally say that the CREATOR is FORMLESS.This is actually not so. The CREATOR as envisaged in Gurbaani has its specific form too.
This is just a view which may be confirmed carefully from Gurbaani.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Re: Introducing Myself

K.Venugopal1 JI

First of all may I welcome you to SPN. I did the same as you. Googled a subject and navigated to the forum, and never left.

To your question: The notion that the Creator and Creation are one means that there is no duality. The Creator is in His Creation; all that is created is permeated with the presence and immanence of the Creator.

Here is where sometimes we can get confused. To say that Creator and Creation are one does NOT mean that they are equal or equivalent or "the same thing." Why? Because the Creator is also greater than Creation. He is beyond everything. The metaphor that is found in Gurbani to express this is "the fish is in the ocean; the ocean is in the fish." The ocean is much greater than the fish.

We have god-consciousness. We have god-centered hearts. Waheguru, is within each and everyone and searches each and every heart. But I am not the creator, Kartar Purakh Akaal. And Akaal is greater than I am.

The essence of this is the need to move toward union with divine consciousness; not to become Akaal Himself.

Narayanjot my dear sister mundahug

I am not sure if you still frequent SPN, however I just wanted to say that I loved your above post, as the metaphor of the "fish in the sea" is exactly the same one used by Catholic mystics such as Saint Augustine of Hippo, Saint Ephrem the Syrian and Saint Mechthild of Magdeburg.

For example, this beautiful poem by Saint Ephrem the Syrian:

"...There is One Being, who knows Himself and sees Himself.
He dwells in Himself,
And from Himself sets forth.
Glory to His Name.
This is a Being who by His own will is in every place,
Who is invisible and visible,
Manifest and secret.
He is above and below.

Mingling and condescending by His grace among the lower;
Loftier and more exalted, as befits His glory, than the higher.
The swift cannot exceed His swiftness,
Nor the slow outlast His patience.

He is before all and after all,
And in the midst of all.
He is like the sea,
In that all creation moves in Him.
As the waters beset the fish in all their movements,
The Creator is clad with everything which is made,
Both great and small.
And as the fish are hidden in the water,
There is hidden in God height and depth,
Far and near,
And the inhabitants thereof.
And as the water meets the fishes everywhere it goes,
So God meets everyone who walks.
And as the water touches the fish at every turn it makes,
God accompanies and sees every man in all his deeds.

Men cannot move the earth which is their chariot,
Neither does anyone go far from the Just One who is his associate.
The Good One is united to the body,
And light to the eyes.
A man is not able to flee from his soul,
For it is with him.
Nor is a man hid from the Good,
For He besets him.
As the water surrounds the fish and it feels it,
So also do all natures feel God.

He is diffused through the air,
And with thy breath enters into thy midst.
He is mingled with the light,
And enters, when thou seest, into thy eyes.
He is mingled with thy spirit,
And examines thee from within, as to what thou art.
In thy soul He dwells,
And nothing which is in thy heart is hid from Him.
As the mind precedes the body in every place,
So He examines thy soul before thou dost examine it.
And as the thought greatly precedes the deed,
So His thought knows beforehand what thou wilt plan.

Compared with His impalpability,
Thy soul is body and thy spirit flesh.
Soul of thy soul,
Spirit of thy spirit,
Is He who created thee,
Far from all,
And mingled with all,
And manifest above all,
A great wonder and a hidden marvel unfathomable.
He is the Being concerning whose essence no man is able to explain.
This is the Power whose depth is inexpressible.
Among things seen and among things hidden
There is none to be compared to Him.
This is He who created and formed from nothing
Everything which is..."

- Saint Ephrem the Syrian (ca. 306 – 373), Catholic mystic, Church Father and Doctor of the Church

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: