• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Are Amritdharis Allowed To Dance Bhangra?

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
I am an amritdhari and absolutely love music. Whenever I hear a dhol beating it rips through me like a hot knife through butter and I become very excited and instinctively start to move. However, I read something on Google Quora in which someone said it is not allowed and if an amritdhari dances then they must apologize to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in front of Panj Piayre. Is this true? I want to do the right thing, but the music is so beautiful. If you answer me with a quote from RM or something, could you please also indicate which section you are quoting? Thank you.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
There is no prohibition. Why would there be? It's dancing!

A certain stuffy element doesn't seem to like the idea of people dancing, but it's not a written, official prohibition anywhere in mainstream Sikhi that I've ever become aware of.

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
There is no prohibition. Why would there be? It's dancing!

A certain stuffy element doesn't seem to like the idea of people dancing, but it's not a written, official prohibition anywhere in mainstream Sikhi that I've ever become aware of.
Thank you. Personally, I think dancing is an essential expression of joy and our hearts are our drums. In fact, in Jap Sahib is says something to the effect that Guru Sahib plays the tunes and beats the drum and makes everybody dance.

However, I was very concerned after I read that person's comments on Quora. He claimed he was quoting from Rehat Maryada.

In any case, I am sure we need to be careful as to the particular songs we listen and dance to, as a lot of songs have very depreciating lyrics.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thank you. Personally, I think dancing is an essential expression of joy and our hearts are our drums. In fact, in Jap Sahib is says something to the effect that Guru Sahib plays the tunes and beats the drum and makes everybody dance.

However, I was very concerned after I read that person's comments on Quora. He claimed he was quoting from Rehat Maryada.

In any case, I am sure we need to be careful as to the particular songs we listen and dance to, as a lot of songs have very depreciating lyrics.

The Rehat Maryada is freely available online in English and Punjabi so you can have a look next time someone makes a claim that doesn't seem right to you. :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
New York City
I don’t see anything wrong with it but be cautious. Don’t give wrong impressions with Bolywood dances which can be erotic. There’s nothing in Sikh Rehet Maryada to say its prohibited.
Thank you. Actually, I don't even have an interest in Bollywood dancing, as you say they can tend to be erotic, but my interest is in bhangra and gidda (though not for myself LOL!)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I am an amritdhari and absolutely love music. Whenever I hear a dhol beating it rips through me like a hot knife through butter and I become very excited and instinctively start to move. However, I read something on Google Quora in which someone said it is not allowed and if an amritdhari dances then they must apologize to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in front of Panj Piayre. Is this true? I want to do the right thing, but the music is so beautiful. If you answer me with a quote from RM or something, could you please also indicate which section you are quoting? Thank you.

Amardeep Singh 1000,

Guru Fateh.

Btw, I met 999 and he was also confused.

As Sikhi is a pragmatic way of life as per SGGS, our only Guru, it cannot become dogmatic for an Amritdhari. The interesting part is that SGGS is all poetry which has been designated to all different kinds of Raags, the Indian Classical music, then how can dancing be forbidden in Sikhi?

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
Amardeep Singh 1000,

Guru Fateh.

Btw, I met 999 and he was also confused.

As Sikhi is a pragmatic way of life as per SGGS, our only Guru, it cannot become dogmatic for an Amritdhari. The interesting part is that SGGS is all poetry which has been designated to all different kinds of Raags, the Indian Classical music, then how can dancing be forbidden in Sikhi?
Yes, that makes perfect sense!

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
I also found the following from SGGSJi:

Page 124, Line 19
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਾਵੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਚੈ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
गुरमुखि गावै गुरमुखि नाचै हरि सेती चितु लावणिआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Gurmukẖ gāvai gurmukẖ nācẖai har seṯī cẖiṯ lāvaṇi▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Gurmukhs sing, the Gurmukhs dance, and focus their consciousness on the Lord. ||1||Pause||
Guru Amar Das

Now, this has nothing to do with bhangra per se, but it does say that an elevated soul does indeed dance.

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
Thank you, sir. I have read that discussion, and I found it to be very interesting. Personally, I find it to be very touching that someone wants to move and sway to kirtan, because that is proof that they are being moved by it. I don't dance to kirtan, but I sing very loudly along with it. I read through Rehat Maryada, and there is absolutely no mention of dancing in it, one way or another. I don't know where that person whose note I had read got his information that RM forbids amrithdaris to dance. It was on Quora, and I have lost that note, so I am unable to contest him.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM