• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Any Of You Had Any "experiences" With Naam Simran?

Anonymous31

SPNer
Mar 11, 2012
I just want to know. Im kinda a lost case I somehow ended up doing alot of it 2 years ago. I ended up stopping because I go to high school And got carried away by other things in my life (you know how it is)... ANyyywayzz then when I would do it I would get this amazing feeling in my heart always making me feel good I noticed I started changing Into this amazing person... Then my "friends" Didnt like that about me they wanted me to change back. I guess I kinda got influences by society and here I am on this forum on my quest once again :p

Now When I do it I sometimes get this lonely feeling deep inside me filled with anger :( I dislike it.. and really want it to go away.. my psychiatrist said I have bi polar disorder at 1 point along time ago. But my faith in god didnt go away and I kept believing and asking for strength. and I never got that mood swing anymore after all at such a young age I guess it happens to all of us (im 17) any suggestions for me?

I guess only good can turn me back

how is it like for you guys??

Also. kinda confused on this one topic

God decides and controlls us all. but at the same time we have a ego that when we make a decison karma comes back and smacks us in the head. Exactly how does that work? give me a example !?!?!?

If I murder someone I cant say god did it when infact it was me who is the killer. I am at fault because my ego decided to

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Anonymous31 ji

We can all have experiences with naam simran, just as we can all dream.
Our bodies know exactly what our inner fears and weaknesses are and we know that in our dreams we get confronted or exposed to them, whilst in everday life we may be masking them or avoiding them in our conscious.
This can be a disadvantage in ways as it could cause anger and stress like you mention. But, I think it's a way your conscious is letting you know that you can't keep avoiding the issue and you have to deal with it one way or the other. I don't for a minute think that it means you are bipolar.
On the other hand, finding and exploring your innerself can also bring out GOOD qualities in you. This goodness is something that gets diluted and becomes misty in your charachter due to ego and attachments. This is a common benefit of simran and finding yourself and the creator with you.
So, in effect it brings to the surface the part of us that is hiding underneath, even though it's hidden unintentionally, but it's still there within us.

Your question about karma and doing bad etc... is not so simple to explain, as it depends on what you actually understand by the terms.
God's will, karma and experiences encountered all blend in together, but first the understanding needs to be clarified. Most of us will have our own and personal views that are all strong, and these come with our own understanding of the terms. It will be different for each one of us.

Wahguru
Lucky Singh

Anonymous31

SPNer
Mar 11, 2012
So Someone who had a relative in the 911 attacks that had Died

If I go towards her and say it was gods will..... Its really gods will? but she doesnt understand it because she lacks the spirtual knowledge? thats how I thought of it as

Also I believe in past lifes and all.

But why should we suffer from something if we completely forgot our action. say for example you were a different character back then? (btw are we different characters?!?!) and you commited murder, But in this life your a kind hearted person. Why should you suffer? this just seems really unjust to me

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

If I go towards her and say it was gods will..... Its really gods will? but she doesnt understand it because she lacks the spirtual knowledge? thats how I thought of it as

We can't always try to find a reason to justify God's will. It's something we don't need to know why. Our gurus accepted very calmly and showed us that we must carry on. Guru Gobind Singh lost his father, then his 4 sons 2 at a time in a flash. He didn't sulk in anger to God asking why,why,why??. But, gave us encouragement to expect that the sun won't always be shining on our side, but God still sides with us and paves the way. he taught us to simply ACCEPT God's will or hukam.
In the same way, a 2 week old baby can just die. Even though the child has given or done anything bad or wrong to anyone in this world- it seems too unfair. We can never ever find the real reason for God's will, but we may be able to understand that the work of the creator does make some sort of sense, but we are not to know or be judging his actions.

[quote ] Also I believe in past lifes and all.

But why should we suffer from something if we completely forgot our action. say for example you were a different character back then? (btw are we different characters?!?!) and you commited murder, But in this life your a kind hearted person. Why should you suffer? this just seems really unjust to me[/quote]

Believing in past lives and reincarnation is a concept itself. To what degree makes all the difference. During the times of the gurus, the hindus beliefs with cast, karma and reincarnation were extreme and still are to an extent. They were such that if one were a low cast now and they did some little good, they may come back or be rewarded with a slightly higher caste in the next life. These beliefs dictated the way people dealt with each other eg. a higher caste wouldn't allow low cast into the temple as they believed the low cast birth was given as a punishment from god due to bad karma in previous life and so on....

Guru Nanak made it clear that God does not work like this- ALL of us are equal beings,...etc... ALSO, that we shouldn't be wasting our lives trying to attain a better life for our next birth, but INSTEAD, we should be focusing on achieving in this very given life and attaining salvation or mukhti with the Lord.

So, we shouldn't even be considering or wondering what our past lives were, as Guru Nanak emphasised they were irrelevent- as ONLY this present life matters now and thats ALL there is.

We have a chance now to get united with the Lord, if we try.
ONLY this, should be our goal, NOT to do good deeds so we come back as kings or higher beings, but we are ALL EQUAL AND ALL HAVE A CHANCE NOW.

I mentioned extent of belief in reincarnation and karma.
What I mean by this is that many sikhs do hold a belief in these BUT NOT to the extent above by hindus.

We must bear in mind that we should be trying to gain mukhti and unite with the Lord in this very life, not leaving it for next time.
Many sikhs believe, that until we don't achieve salvation then we will keep getting reincarnated into different life forms (84 lak) until we become in this human form again, where we have another dear chance to become ONE with the ONE. Otherwise, it's back to the ongoing cycle again.

So, in effect, there is nothing wrong or extreme with this belief that many of us hold. But, if we start doing actions or living in a way wishing we will be born again with more money or status- then WE ARE DOING THE WRONG THING. That is NOT the reason for our births or Why we are here.

I hope that gives you some explanation and thought.

Sat Kartar
Lucky Singh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

It is my understanding that God has no interest in the happenings of this world, or the many many other worlds that were Created. On a daily basis we sow seeds that will make the world a better place, or a worse place, it has nothing to do with God. We can carry out Gods will by aligning ourselves with the natural order, both in action and in thought, although as my Veer Parmaji has pointed out, who can possibly know what Hukam really is, Hitler clearly thought his actions were under Hukam, as did Gandhi, as does the current Pope, so this is a tricky area that is clearly open to abuse. However the one thing I am sure of, is that everything that happens in this world is down to our actions, whether it be lack of ecological awareness, or inability to show love to those that clearly need to be reminded of it. God is not sitting on his throne high up throwing lightning bolts because he is bored. Creator has given us all free will, what we do with that will shapes Creation.

I do not believe in Karma or reincarnation, I find these to be Vedic practices that muddy my thinking.

I will not debate the logic in asking God for strength, if this helps you, wonderful, but also try reading the wisdom contained in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, there is a lot of very helpful concepts and theories that you could spend time contemplating and internally debating, I find this helps me more than prayer, or divine requesting, I also find this helps me realise myself, and who I actually am, with a view to the correct implementation of Hukam, and knowing whether the Hukam that I align myself with is my own, or that of Creator

Best Wishes and Good Luck

Last edited:

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
I just want to know. Im kinda a lost case I somehow ended up doing alot of it 2 years ago. I ended up stopping because I go to high school And got carried away by other things in my life (you know how it is)... ANyyywayzz then when I would do it I would get this amazing feeling in my heart always making me feel good I noticed I started changing Into this amazing person... Then my "friends" Didnt like that about me they wanted me to change back. I guess I kinda got influences by society and here I am on this forum on my quest once again :p

Now When I do it I sometimes get this lonely feeling deep inside me filled with anger :( I dislike it.. and really want it to go away.. my psychiatrist said I have bi polar disorder at 1 point along time ago. But my faith in god didnt go away and I kept believing and asking for strength. and I never got that mood swing anymore after all at such a young age I guess it happens to all of us (im 17) any suggestions for me?

I guess only good can turn me back

how is it like for you guys??

Also. kinda confused on this one topic

God decides and controlls us all. but at the same time we have a ego that when we make a decison karma comes back and smacks us in the head. Exactly how does that work? give me a example !?!?!?

If I murder someone I cant say god did it when infact it was me who is the killer. I am at fault because my ego decided to

It's CONDUCT that matters most, the fruit of our labours is what we receive. Simran or no Simran, its all private business and what you put in it is what you will recieve (as according to Guru Ji's Blessing, no other human being).

So, no, no one can offer you consolation on this topic, you steer your own boat, make your own decisions, the only thing you can do to turn yourself around is to submit your will to Guru Ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM