• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Amritvela Difficulties, Please Advise

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
Lately I have been having a lot of difficulties in waking up for amritvela. I have been having difficulty waking up, staying awake, and have been exhausted throughout the day. I am getting at least 7 hours of sleep, am not ill, am eating well. The cold shower doesn't help but only makes my skin tingle. Could you please share your experience and ways you have gotten around such difficulties? Thank you.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Lately I have been having a lot of difficulties in waking up for amritvela. I have been having difficulty waking up, staying awake, and have been exhausted throughout the day. I am getting at least 7 hours of sleep, am not ill, am eating well. The cold shower doesn't help but only makes my skin tingle. Could you please share your experience and ways you have gotten around such difficulties? Thank you.

Amritvela, as per your experience is having to have a constant battle with nature and end up on the losing end of this unwinnable battle.

So, I ask you, what is Amritvela and what Vela is the non-Amrit one?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
There is no time which is not for amrit. But we are also supposed to do it before dawn as well, and I have been having problems with it lately which is why I asked my question. Do you have any suggestions?

You have just answered your own question. What happens to people who work night shifts? What is their Amritvela?

Sikhi is never in the battle with nature rather in sync. So, do not worry about the concocted time zone about the Amritvela. And one more thing, Simran does not mean repeating a word, Vaheguru in this case, endlessly as many must have convinced you for. One can repeat any word, Lady Gaga for example, and feel the same transitory trance. This is the natural chemo-biological reaction in us.

So, let's try to understand the meaning of Amrit first, the Vela would follow. The Shabad is on Ang 318.
Relish it!

Last edited:

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
Apologies if you and Amardeep think like that. I am having an interaction for a very confused term, Amritvela. There are many threads about the subject. I would urge both of you to go through them. Thanks

No worries. I understand that it must be difficult to endure questions from newbies, especially ones that have been discussed here previously. I would ask you to please understand that being dismissive of people who are eager to learn and grow might give the wrong impression of this path. Perhaps this isn't the place for questions regarding actual practice and its more for philosophical discussion as per the name of the site.

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012

Did you ever have a job interview, or maybe an exam, or some important appointment, maybe in the city, and you had to get up really early to make sure you could make it there on time? On that day, were you late? Did you miss your appointment/interview? I'm guessing that you made it there on time, probably even with a few minutes to spare.

It's the same with waking up early for spiritual practice. If you have the right motivation, you will do it without any difficulties. If you think there is no consequence, then you will ignore it and then wonder why all your efforts are not working. You'll come to a forum like this asking people for advice on how to wake up early, you will present all your excuses (exhausted at the end of the day, not enough hours sleep, etc.) But the question you should be asking yourself is, how come you made it on time for the interview (even in NYC traffic), and yet you can't seem to wake up on time for something infinitely more important?

The answer is quite simply that you don't value it. You actually value your sleep more than your pre-dawn spiritual practice.

The solution is to 1) understand the real value of your spiritual practice, 2) make a decision about what it means to you, and 3) place a greater amount of importance upon it than that job interview/appointment.

If you genuinely do the above, you won't need any tips & tricks, or elaborate ritual or advice from anyone. It will be, as if by magic, that you will rise early and perform your spiritual practice.

On a personal note: If you ask any lover, she will not hesitate to tell you that she will do anything and everything to spend every moment she can with her beloved. She is drenched with love, ready to forsake the entire world and everything she has, for just a moment with her lover. Reflect upon that next time you have any sort of reluctance to spend time in your spiritual practice.

[AoG]

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
You have just answered your own question. What happens to people who work night shifts? What is their Amritvela?

Sikhi is never in the battle with nature rather in sync. So, do not worry about the concocted time zone about the Amritvela. And one more thing, Simran does not mean repeating a word, Vaheguru in this case, endlessly as many must have convinced you for. One can repeat any word, Lady Gaga for example, and feel the same transitory trance. This is the natural chemo-biological reaction in us.

So, let's try to understand the meaning of Amrit first, the Vela would follow. The Shabad is on Ang 318.
Relish it!

Though I am sure there should be dispensations for those who are incapable of doing simran before dawn, such as the 3rd shift workers you mentioned, I am not among those and am simply suffering from fatigue. The following lines are according to my understanding. I don't believe doing simran is meant to put us into a trance but is meant to bring our consciousness closer to truth, which is Guru Sahib. I think Lady Gaga is a great jazz singer, but I don't think she is who is meant by countless references to the word nam in SGGSJ. Sorry if I offended you by saying you were being confrontational.

Page 2, Line 5
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
Amriṯ velā sacẖ nā▫o vadi▫ā▫ī vīcẖār.
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

Page 15, Line 19
ਸਚੁ ਸਰਾ ਗੁੜ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥
Sacẖ sarā guṛ bāhrā jis vicẖ sacẖā nā▫o.
The Wine of Truth is not fermented from molasses. The True Name is contained within it.

Page 10, Line 5
ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਸਹਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਗੁਣ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੨॥
Har har nām milai ṯaripṯāsahi mil sangaṯ guṇ pargās. ||2||
Obtaining the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, they are satisfied; joining the Sangat, the Blessed Congregation, their virtues shine forth. ||2||

Clearly Guru Nanak states that amritvela is the hours before dawn, and the name to be repeated is the Satnam which is Waheguru.

Cheers!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
No worries. I understand that it must be difficult to endure questions from newbies, especially ones that have been discussed here previously. I would ask you to please understand that being dismissive of people who are eager to learn and grow might give the wrong impression of this path. Perhaps this isn't the place for questions regarding actual practice and its more for philosophical discussion as per the name of the site.

I am sorry to say you are mistaken. I am not dismissive of anyone. As you are new to Sikhi, you may not be able to grasp that the term "Amritvela" is a very touchy one. Many claim it is the "Ambrosial Hour" of the morning but that is not what Gurbani says. In Gurbani, any time we breed goodness within is Amritvela. This is the reason I was trying to show @Amardeep Singh 1000 not to worry about getting up early.
if you are not able to.

Lastly, we are all newbies as Sikhs. A Sikh learns, unlearns and relearns till his/her last breath.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
New York City
Did you ever have a job interview, or maybe an exam, or some important appointment, maybe in the city, and you had to get up really early to make sure you could make it there on time? On that day, were you late? Did you miss your appointment/interview? I'm guessing that you made it there on time, probably even with a few minutes to spare.

It's the same with waking up early for spiritual practice. If you have the right motivation, you will do it without any difficulties. If you think there is no consequence, then you will ignore it and then wonder why all your efforts are not working. You'll come to a forum like this asking people for advice on how to wake up early, you will present all your excuses (exhausted at the end of the day, not enough hours sleep, etc.) But the question you should be asking yourself is, how come you made it on time for the interview (even in NYC traffic), and yet you can't seem to wake up on time for something infinitely more important?

The answer is quite simply that you don't value it. You actually value your sleep more than your pre-dawn spiritual practice.

The solution is to 1) understand the real value of your spiritual practice, 2) make a decision about what it means to you, and 3) place a greater amount of importance upon it than that job interview/appointment.

If you genuinely do the above, you won't need any tips & tricks, or elaborate ritual or advice from anyone. It will be, as if by magic, that you will rise early and perform your spiritual practice.

On a personal note: If you ask any lover, she will not hesitate to tell you that she will do anything and everything to spend every moment she can with her beloved. She is drenched with love, ready to forsake the entire world and everything she has, for just a moment with her lover. Reflect upon that next time you have any sort of reluctance to spend time in your spiritual practice.

[AoG]
Thank you. These are a lot of good thoughts to think about.

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
I am sorry to say you are mistaken. I am not dismissive of anyone. As you are new to Sikhi, you may not grasp that the term "Amritvela" is a very touchy one. Many claim it is the "Ambrosial Hour" of the morning but that is not what Gurbani says. In Gurbani, any time we breed goodness within is Amritvela. This is the reason I was trying to show @Amardeep Singh 1000 not to worry about getting up early.
if you are not able to.

Lastly, we are all newbies as Sikhs. A Sikh learns, unlearns and relearns till his/her last breath.
Actually, I made a mistake when I quoted. The English translation says

the ambrosial hours before dawn

but the original only says

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
Amriṯ velā sacẖ nā▫o vadi▫ā▫ī vīcẖār.

When I took amrit, we were told explicitly to wake up before dawn, take our shower, and leave enough time for at least an hour of simran before beginning Nitnem. Even if Gurbani says otherwise, I received my instructions and feel beholden to them.

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
If you can suggest any sites or groups that discuss the practical matters and practices, I would appreciate hearing about them. I thought my questions would be ok here, because as I was looking through previous threads I saw discussions about people's children trimming, alcohol problems, etc., which are practical matters.

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
If you can suggest any sites or groups that discuss the practical matters and practices, I would appreciate hearing about them. I thought my questions would be ok here, because as I was looking through previous threads I saw discussions about people's children trimming, alcohol problems, etc., which are practical matters.

I suppose it depends on who decides to respond and their perspective on your question. I have yet to find a forum as active and as open to diverse viewpoints as this one so I would say hang in there.

As far as Amritvela success goes I would suggest improving your diet and starting by waking up just 30 minutes earlier a day. Do some simran, as much as that extra time allows and make that your routine. When that becomes easy, push it back another 30 minutes. Repeat until you are where you want to be.

Apr 20, 2018
New York City
I suppose it depends on who decides to respond and their perspective on your question. I have yet to find a forum as active and as open to diverse viewpoints as this one so I would say hang in there.

As far as Amritvela success goes I would suggest improving your diet and starting by waking up just 30 minutes earlier a day. Do some simran, as much as that extra time allows and make that your routine. When that becomes easy, push it back another 30 minutes. Repeat until you are where you want to be.
Thank you. I had tried a few other sites a long time ago (SikhNet being the one I can remember) and unfortunately found the same phenomenon as you do everywhere else on the web, which is people feeling more free to be abusive than they would in real life since they are not facing you and won't have to suffer a tight slap LOL. However, one one of them, unfortunately the name of which I cannot remember, I met a guy who was extremely nice, and he actually taught me via email video a better way to tie my dastar, a way which I have continued to this day; something for which I will always be grateful. I have had enough experiences to come to the conclusion that when you are dealing with people who claim to be Sikh that they are either very humble, kind, and helpful or are arrogant and egotistical. Maybe the latter is because we are so used to being abused that a lot of us puff up our feathers to compensate for it. However, when I found this site I was rather confused by its name. My understanding of "philosophy" is coming up with a premise and defending it with proof and debate. I don't understand how Sikhi is open to debate. Gurmat is Gurmat and SGGSJ and Rehat Maryada are very clear and self-explanatory. I am very new here and have asked only a handful of questions, one asking clarification of a rule in RM, the others asking for practical advice, as I believe that in Sikhi it is a question of how to do what is required, not a question if it should be done at all. I thought I could get advice from people with more Sikhi education than I--and few times I have--since this is for the time being the only place I am aware of where Sikhs can congregate online.
I did do the 30 minute earlier until you get used to it technique, and I got myself to 4am with no problems and feeling very excited to do my routine. It's just that in the past few weeks I have been having the difficulties with waking up and functioning. I suppose my diet is ok. Amritdharis are required to be vegetarian, and I eat a lot of protein in the form of beans, fresh vegetables and fruit and a bit of milk as well as take a multivitamin. Frankly, I am coming to the conclusion that I need to go to bed even earlier than I have been. I am hardwired to be a night owl, and going to bed by 8 or 9 is a real challenge for me, especially when I have to recite Rehras and Kirtan Sohila back to back LOL.
Thank you for your thoughts and words.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM