• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Akhand Path List Now At 1.3 Lakh, Petition To Expedite Seva At Harmandir Sahib

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Golden Temple (Harmandar Sahib) 1.3 Lakh Akhand Path list ,NRI’s, Akali Dal, IOC, petition SGPC to Expedite Seva.

by Logan Wallace

http://tickerreport.com/press-relea...akali-dal-ioc-petition-sgpc-to-expedite-seva/

Toronto Ont. According to SGPC Golden Temple ( Harmandar Sahib) Akhand Path roster, there are 1.3 lakh Sikhs, who are awaiting their turn to hold an Akhand Path at “Dukhbhanjani Sahib and Har Ki Pauri”, the last on the list will get his turn in year 2019. The 48 hour ceremony is conducted by Sikh priests at these two places only, much to the delay of Sikh Followers, who may not be alive, when there turn comes in 2019.

S.G.P.C. has their new website www.sgpc.net, with Jathedar Awtar Singh as its President, also accepting “Bheta with credit cards”, on their Online Seva system, from NRI’s and Sikh Followers in Canada, USA, Australia, U.K., Malayasia, Kenya, Singapore, Germany, Norway and many other countries, via VISA, MasterCard, American Express.

Many NRI’s including Sikh Politicians, Bollywood actors, Industrialists, including family of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Chief Minister Prakash Singh Ji Badal, are in line for the “Akhand Path” Seva. NRI Foundation and Sikh Foundation, have approached the SGPC, with a request to delegate 100 Priests, to hold these Akhand Paths, so they can do the needed Seva, during their life time, when they are alive. This pattern is adopted in “Vatican”, where Catholic Religion Followers can offer their prayers.

Sikh Foundation America, president Dr. Ajit Singh requests SGPC president Jathedar Awtar Singh , to hold an emergency meeting to hire 100 Sikh priests and resolve the long delay, pending for over 1000 Non Resident Indians, by granting them expedited “timeframe” for Seva. Indian Overseas Congress president Vikram Bajwa, requests the S.G.P.C., to amend their By-Laws, so the entire floor at Dukhbhanjani Sahib and Har-Ki-Pauri, can be used to install “100 Guru Granth Sahib”, so Sikh Followers, around the world can share their heartfelt Seva, which will also spread the word of Sikhism around the World, among NRI’s and other religions.

Sikh Youth President Gurdan Singh, requests the S.G.P.C., to utilize the “webworld”, to spread the religion and the “Akhand Path”, ceremony can be shared around the world with modern web technology like “Skype Akhand Paths”, with family members, from the Golden temple. “We want S.G.P.C., to address this issue with immediate effect” said Dr. Rajwant Singh, “S.G.P.C. with all respect needs to revamp the process of service to Sikh Followers, NRI’s around the world”, said Jathedar Malkiat Singh of Birmingham, England. Senior Akali Dal leader, America, Harry Singh, is also on the long list, looking for S.G.P.C., to expedite the Akhand Path Seva Program, “which is the need of the hour”.

Majority of the North America Gurudwara’s request all SIkh Followers to send a request petition to S.G.P.C. of 1 Million NRI’s, through Email at president@sgpc.net, so they can make the desired changes in Harmandar Sahib. “NRI Sikh Scholars, including Vice Chancellors of Khalsa College, Punjabi University should be made part of this campaign”, said Dr. Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu, of Punjab Foundation Canada.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Would someone tell me what is a "Granthi Sahib?" When did this terminology get underway?

When did the Roman Catholic Church become a model for Sikhi?

Also, why is it important to have our Akhand Path before we die?

If a family holds Akhand Path following death, what difference does it make when it is held, beyond the tradition of doing it following the bhog?

Does this Akhand Path stand in for one said by people who knew the deceased in his/her lifetime? Or do strangers suffice?

The rest of my questions/reactions I wil let go. Today is one of some bhairag for me, Gurprasaad, it is hard to be annoyed when I am like this.

Related story
Even Punjab's CM has to wait his turn here

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...has-to-wait-his-turn-here-114012000229_1.html

At a time when the 'VIP culture' in India is under threat from the ideology of the Aam Aadmi Party in Delhi, Harmandar Sahib, Sikhsim's premier shrine here, has been showing the way of treating everyone alike, including VIPs and celebrities. Even being the chief minister of Punjab does not help here.

Five-time Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, 86, will have to wait for a few years to get his turn to get a 'Akhand Path', a Sikh rprayer service of the Guru Granth Sahib conducted at the Dukhbanjani Sahib inside the Golden Temple complex. Badal's name is among over 130.000 people who figure in the list of people who want the 48-hour long ceremony conducted.

All VIPs and celebrities have to queue up along with thousands of commoners to get a religious ceremony conducted at Harmandar Sahib - popularly known as the Golden Temple and considered the holiest of Sikh shrines.

Such is the rush of people for the religious ceremony that the shrine management has bookings full till 2019.

The ceremony is conducted by Sikh priests (Granthis) at two places - Dukhbhanjani Sahib and Har-ki-Pauri.

All applicants have to specify where they want the ceremony to be conducted.

The 'Dukhbhanjani Beri' (tree) is believed to be even older than the shrine.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Exactly! Put their time and money into something more constructive. Endless akhand paaths like this contribute nothing for the community or the individual. It's ridiculous.

Just what are these "1.3 lakh Sikhs" trying to achieve? If someone could explain to me their point of view I'd really love to hear it, please.

"Business growth"? Hey Harry ji, I think I found your problem. If you get on the list now, maybe your business will be ok in 2019...

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Exactly! Put their time and money into something more constructive. Endless akhand paaths like this contribute nothing for the community or the individual. It's ridiculous.

Just what are these "1.3 lakh Sikhs" trying to achieve? If someone could explain to me their point of view I'd really love to hear it, please.

"Business growth"? Hey Harry ji, I think I found your problem. If you get on the list now, maybe your business will be ok in 2019...

Exactly I don't see what these Aakand Paath will do for so many of these Sikhs on the waiting list.

Instead of waiting for their own turn which can be in years all these Sikhs can at least learn Gurmukhi or if they do know it already start reading the GGS themselves for their own benefit. That's what I would do. But then there are excuses a lot of Sikhs make on not being able to take time to do any paath...

Jul 18, 2007
London
“which is the need of the hour”

Hmmm, "need" means revenue potential is being hindered by lack of factory workers to process on conveyor belt "Akhand Paats" as demand is very high.

Just be glad people aren't selling their places to the highest bidder, then we would have got a secondary market to trade the "Akhand Paats", all for the commodity of nothing but wasted breath in the name of pleasing a "God" to fulfill our worldly desires which we are taught not to desire by the exact work we are paying to get read out, wow what a web of confusion! :confusedmunda:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

There are thousands of non sikhs who also book akahnd paath in golden temple

Amongst those who recently had `communion with God’ through path were Bollywood super star Amitabh Bachan and his family members including wife Jaya, son Abhishek and daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai Bachan apart from his daughter Shaweta Nanda. They got their turn after long wait, last year. Actors including Rishi Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Ambani brothers of Reliance, Bharti Mittals of Airtel, had already sought `blessings’ through path.
http://www.khalsanews.org/newspics/...Sep 11 Akhand Paath at Dukh Bhanjani Beri.htm

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
“which is the need of the hour”

Hmmm, "need" means revenue potential is being hindered by lack of factory workers to process on conveyor belt "Akhand Paats" as demand is very high.

Just be glad people aren't selling their places to the highest bidder, then we would have got a secondary market to trade the "Akhand Paats", all for the commodity of nothing but wasted breath in the name of pleasing a "God" to fulfill our worldly desires which we are taught not to desire by the exact work we are paying to get read out, wow what a web of confusion! :confusedmunda:

Dont be that sure ji....that idea may already be taking root..surely in a Place like INDIA where they sell their grandmothers for a Visa or Green card or just Tourist visa and even ILLEGAL trip OUT of India..someone would ahve already started that....and i supect MAKARR would be the first one...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM