• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Akali Dal Leader Slaps Lady Teacher

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Akali Dal leader slaps lady teacher

THE TIMES OF INDIA - Dec 5, 2011, 07.38PM IST

The lady Varinder Kaur was part of a delegation of teachers who wanted to meet Bhatinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal, the wife of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal at the function yesterday.

CHANDIGARH: A lady teacher was allegedly slapped and roughed up by a leader of Punjab's ruling Shiromani Akali Dal during a function in Muktsar district.

The lady Varinder Kaur was part of a delegation of teachers who wanted to meet Bhatinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal, the wife of deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal at the function yesterday.

A scuffle broke out between the teachers' delegation, which wanted to submit a memorandum to Harsimrat Kaur demanding regularization of their job, and Akali Dal workers who wanted the delegation to leave the place.

Balwinder Singh, Akali Dal sarpanch of Daula village, allegedly caught hold of Varinder Kaur and slapped her many times, Education Guarantee Scheme (EGS) Teachers Association President Pritpal Singh said.

"Balwinder Singh manhandled me and beat me up," Kaur alleged and added EGS Jalandhar unit chief Jarnail Singh was also slapped and picked up by police. The police also locked up the teachers in a house to ensure a smooth conduct of the function", the sources said, adding the teachers have lodged a complaint against Balwinder seeking his arrest.

Police said a case has been registered against members of both the parties.

Harsimrat Kaur Badal in a statement here condemned the incident and said assault of a woman by anybody was not acceptable, whatever may be the provocation for that.

Kaur asked the administration to take necessary action against the guilty.

Opposition Congress demanded registration of a criminal case against Balwinder Singh and said "it was a perfect example of Jungle 'Raj'.

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh
/Akali-Dal-leader-slaps-lady-teacher/articleshow/10994626.cms

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Talibanisation of Sikhi is very dangerous and it goes against the basic tenets of Sikhi.

What a shame! The culprits should not get just a slap on the wrist but must be punished severely.

In my opinion, because of the Talibansation of Sikhi, the same tactics should be used as the Talibans do.

This person should be lynched in the public square by the victims.

This is my thought. Some may have even better ideas.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Simply relieving him of the post would be easy and acceptable solution. Otherwise in a country where people die everyday in open daylight and no justice is reached, nothing can be expected.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Talibanisation of Sikhi is very dangerous and it goes against the basic tenets of Sikhi.

What a shame! The culprits should not get just a slap on the wrist but must be punished severely.

In my opinion, because of the Talibansation of Sikhi, the same tactics should be used as the Talibans do.

This person should be lynched in the public square by the victims.

This is my thought. Some may have even better ideas.

What this incident has to do with Talibanisation of Sikhi or even Sikhism.The Sarpanch who hit woman is full mona and he did not woman because she was doing something against sikhism.Hitting protesters is very common in India,just because sarpanch belonged SAD it did not make it a religious issue

Akali Dal sarpanch slaps teacher in public - YouTube

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
KDS1980 ji are you saying it is OK because if it is not related to Sikhism and generally accepted or you are saying it is wrong to associate this with Sikhism. I see the latter but not the former.

Sat Sri Akal.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
KDS1980 ji are you saying it is OK because if it is not related to Sikhism and generally accepted or you are saying it is wrong to associate this with Sikhism. I see the latter but not the former.

Sat Sri Akal.

I am saying it is wrong to associate this incident with sikhism when it has nothing to do with it ,also words like talibinasation should be used with caution.Talibans are religious fanatics who attack people when they are not following islam ,i don't know how the word Talibinasation fits into this incident.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
What this incident has to do with Talibanisation of Sikhi or even Sikhism.The Sarpanch who hit woman is full mona and he did not woman because she was doing something against sikhism.Hitting protesters is very common in India,just because sarpanch belonged SAD it did not make it a religious issue

Akali Dal sarpanch slaps teacher in public - YouTube

Kds ji,

Guru Fateh.

Have you researched that this full mona Sikh named Balwinder Singh who is the Sarpanch of Akali Dal, a clean shaven Sikh or not?

Does being full mona make him less with a taliban mentaility?

I am sorry, but I fail to understand your rationale.

There was another incident where an Amritdhari Sikh slapped the minister, whose motive can be disputed but then he took his kirpan out to atttack him. For me both actions have no Sikhi values but Taliban values.

Please let me know once you have researched about the religious background of the Akali Dal Sarpanch.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
‘Not the slap, but brazenness of sarpanch is hurting’

Victim Varinder Kaur says she is getting threatening calls, vows to fight for justice

Archit Watts/TNS
Gidderbaha, December 6

“It’s not the physical pain of the slap that hurts me. What hurts me is the brazenness of the Akali Sarpanch, Balwinder Singh Toti, who hit me and humiliated me in public without bothering about our decades of loyalty to the Shiromani Akali Dal and its leader, Parkash Singh Badal”, says Varinder Pal Kaur, the Education Guarantee Scheme (EGS) teacher, whose victimisation by the arrogant Akali leader has evoked sharp reactions with even icons like Shah Rukh Khan dubbing it as “disgusting”.

“My grandfather and uncle had gone to jail in 1971 (during Emergency) and again in 1982 for this party but all that is meaningless today”, she said while showing scores of photographs of her family members with senior Akali leaders, including Parkash Singh Badal.

Alleging that she was getting threatening calls from Toti’s associates for reaching a compromise, the brave girl said she’ll continue with her agitation and protest at Chief Minister’s Sangat Darshan at her village tomorrow. “Toti should be arrested and all the policemen who stood there as mute spectators suspended”, she demanded.

Disappointment and disgust writ large on her face, Varinder Pal Kaur recalled how five years ago Parkash Singh Badal had attended the funeral of her grandfather. “Even in my wildest of dreams, I couldn’t ever think of such a treatment being meted out to me”, she said adding that she was not scared of the threats from Toti or his associates.

“When my family and I can fight and go to jail for the Akali Dal, we very well know how to protect ourselves and deal with such people”, she said adding that she will continue her fight till the end.

Sitting in her modest three-room house, where villagers kept pouring in to express their support with her, Varinder’s father, Kulwant Singh Walia, a taxi driver, said, “We are all with her as she hasn’t done anything wrong”.

Claiming that they had been getting feelers for a compromise from Badal’s emissaries, Varinder said there was no question of arriving at any agreement with them. Using harsh words against the Badals, Varinder dubbed them as “opportunist and power hungry politicians”.

She was extremely bitter about the role of the police officials, who were present at the spot where the Sarpanch assaulted her. “Why didn’t the SHO, the DSP and the SSP do their duty and stop him”? she asked.

Stating that she will continue to participate in the protests by the EGS teachers in Gidderbaha, Varinder said the Akali Dal would have to pay dearly for patronising leaders like Toti.

Claiming that the entire village was supporting them, Kulwant Singh said they all will boycott the CM’s Sangat Darshan tomorrow and hold a peaceful protest against him.

source: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111207/main7.htm

Sarpanch held for slapping woman teacher, bailed out

Archit Watts
Tribune News Service
Daula (Gidderbaha), December 6

The Gidderbaha police arrested sarpanch Balwinder Singh ‘Toti’ for allegedly assaulting Varinder Kaur, an EGS teacher, during a Sangat Darshan programme of Bathinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal at Daula village on Sunday.

“On the orders of the Chief Minister, the sarpanch was arrested from Bharu village following a case against him under Sections 323 and 341 of the IPC,” said Inder Mohan Singh, SSP Muktsar.

‘Toti’ was bailed out by a local court, after he furnished a bond of Rs 50,000, said SHO Avtar Singh.

Victim Varinder Kaur said she was under pressure to reach a compromise with the sarpanch. “The sarpanch has complained to the SSP that the teachers who had gone to meet the MP had made remarks on the caste of a village panch. There is no truth in this complaint as 36 of the 40 teachers who had gone there were Dalits,” said Barinder Kaur. Earlier in the day, Malti Thapar, state Mahila Congress chief, met Barinder at her house in Sukhna Ablu village.

The EGS Teachers’ Union today blocked the Gidderbaha-Bathinda highway (NH-15) for two hours. They were stopped while on their way to gherao the sarpanch’s house.

The protesters refused to clear the highway despite Naib tehsildar Gurmel Singh Dhadda’s intervention.

Dhadda said: “We stopped the protesters from entering the village as they may have turned violent. So they blocked the highway. The blockade was peaceful though it brought traffic to a halt.”

Later, the protesters announced their decision to commit suicide em masse on the birthday of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal (December 8) at Chandigarh. “We went to meet the Deputy CM at his residence in Chandigarh today, but he ignored us. He did not even spare a minute to hear our demands,” said Pritpal Singh, president, EGS Teachers’ Association while talking over the phone.

source: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111207/punjab.htm

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
What is the difference between a full mona and a half mona?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Veer Ji In this context 'full mona' refers to somone who has no shame at all, 'half mona' refers to somone who has a little bit of shame.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM