• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Sikh Without His Flowing Hair And Turban

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
S. Chaz Singh Ji

You are really intelligent. No need for me to check with any lady. There are several delivery operation on You tube lasting not more than ten minutes. But I was not referring to delivery but conceiving the baby.

Further, I am surprised when gurbani tells us, laikha hoey ta likhiyee.. then how could you reach a fix number of reincarnation. In the sabd 'lakh chorasi' is only a saying and ego and duality is context of the sabd. Sabd is not referring to physical birth but transformation from 'Manh di matt' to 'guru ki matt' and that does not come automatically after 8.4 juenes but unless we surrender to guru ki matt. Gurabni tells us, 'satguru kai janmai gavan mittaiya - once satguru ki mat is relished your mission is accomplished and avan javan of pal pal marna ends. So start listening and contemplating to gurbani before the physical death.

Satnaam Ji,

you are correct, once this precious human birth is blessed upon us, then we need to work to become guru ki matt rather than wasting these precious breaths of ours.

But i still believe we passed through many lifecycles and lifeforms before we took human birth :) i do not wish to lose this opportunity. See you at the finishing line :)

Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni
Kuwait

God bless

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Also Mohinder Singh Ji,

Please ask the many women who are giving birth if it is easy, and also if it takes only a couple of minutes :)
It's called labour for a reason and it took me about 36 hours. Oh, well...

Do any of you here understand what SGGS ji really is?

Among other things, it's a manual for how to win the Game of Life.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
It's called labour for a reason and it took me about 36 hours. Oh, well...

Do any of you here understand what Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji really is?

Among other things, it's a manual for how to win the Game of Life.

36 hours? definately not the 10 minutes mohinder ji referred to :)

"manual for how to win the game of life" a beautiful way to see SGGS Ji like this.

there used to be a program on t.v called "this is your life", where they handed over a book to a celebrity detailing their whole lives, what they did, experiences, achievements etc.
i like to think of SGGS Ji as a "this is your life" guiding us through our spiritual development to god consciousness :)

god bless you

kanwaljs

SPNer
Nov 11, 2009
Delhi
Yes, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji helps, directs and illumine us in our spiritual development towards God Conciousness. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has having every answer relating to our good life and all has written in it is true.
Satgur bless you,
Regards,
Kanwaljit Singh

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Yes, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji helps, directs and illumine us in our spiritual development towards God Conciousness. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has having every answer relating to our good life and all has written in it is true.
Satgur bless you,
Regards,
Kanwaljit Singh

Shri Guru Granth Sahib ji not only has all the answers; it has the Answer.

We so much take Guru ji for granted and rarely see it for the priceless treasure it really is. I wish the Sikh Kaum would just wake up. We seem to get sidetracked into all sorts of issues. It is the number one most important anything of Sikhi. We matha tek and all that, but how often do we sit back and just appreciate?

kanwaljs

SPNer
Nov 11, 2009
Delhi
Yes, I agree with you that 'We matha tek and all that, but how often do we sit back and just appreciate?' Sikhs are very rare who follows that 'Udham karo karao thakur pekhat sadhu sang', that one they have do and die spirit and 'shubh karman tea kabhon naa tarohon'.
With Satguru's blessings,
Regards,
Kanwaljit Singh

Feb 1, 2010
Problem is with the loose definition of Sikh.

Now a days every one call themself to be sikh whether mona, sharbi etc.

Sikh is who is trying to live as per teachings of Sikh Gurus anf in their image. Keeping of hair is essential part of it.

Any deviation from this leads to one being other than sikh

Very good thought indeed. I want to say except those blinded by faith, and those compelled by their profession, almost all turbaned Sikhs have an inner secret desire to cut hair and save time from hours of grooming every day. Most of them are in denial and write long posts on these forums trying to hide insecurities. The smart ones have cut hair, have saved time and self torture and are happy.

The rate at which Punjab Sikh is cutting hair, turbaned Sikhs will become an endangered species in another 2-3 decades. The only place they will be seen will be isolated areas in north america. Sikh leaders have failed to dispel Guru's message and have repulsed the youth by their own egos.

Guru Nanak Dev ji gave up Janeu. Time for sikhs to give up the K's and recognize true religion of Guru Nanak Dev ji.

kanwaljs

SPNer
Nov 11, 2009
Delhi
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->Respected Sir,
The above topic 'A Sikh Without His Flowing Hair and Turban' is not written by me. I had tried to answer through my lekh 'The Importance of Kesh for a sikh', so that I copied and pasted some portion from my lekh to some of other person's topics in the SPN. Actually, I do not know how to use SPN. Sorry, for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Kanwaljit Sing:blueturban:[/FONT]

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Very good thought indeed. I want to say except those blinded by faith, and those compelled by their profession, almost all turbaned Sikhs have an inner secret desire to cut hair and save time from hours of grooming every day. Most of them are in denial and write long posts on these forums trying to hide insecurities. The smart ones have cut hair, have saved time and self torture and are happy.

The rate at which Punjab Sikh is cutting hair, turbaned Sikhs will become an endangered species in another 2-3 decades. The only place they will be seen will be isolated areas in north america. Sikh leaders have failed to dispel Guru's message and have repulsed the youth by their own egos.

Guru Nanak Dev ji gave up Janeu. Time for sikhs to give up the K's and recognize true religion of Guru Nanak Dev ji.

Satnaam Ji,

This may seem like an unrelated question, but i promise you it has a meaning. and i'll explain in the end :)

Do you wake up during Amrit vela (ambroisial hours) and do 2.5 hours of simran before your daily duties, every day of the week without fail?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Get a hold of The Sikh history written by Khushwnat Singh....He was even more DEFINITE that that statement in RED..He wrote.. Within the Next 50 Years there will be NO SIKHS by 2000 !! Quote from a Blog below explains in detail....

When in 1953 the celebrated Sikh historian, Khushwant Singh, came to writing his seminal, and now classic, The Sikhs, he lamented ruefully in the Preface that, “[t]he chief reason for my writing an account of my people is the melancholy thought that contemporary with my labours are being written the last chapters of the story of the Sikhs. By the end of the century, the Sikhs themselves will have passed into oblivion. Before that happens, it is proper that some estimate of their religion, traditions, political and cultural achievements should be made…..”. Yet, today, there are 20 million Sikhs world-wide with twelve million in India alone – though the distinctive history of the Sikhs, their religion, and their traditions, are not much better known in the world today than they were then. However, although they comprise two per cent of their country’s population, they are hardly unnoticeable. The Prime Minister of India, the world’s largest democracy, is a Sikh of immense distinction accredited with being the architect of modern India today. The Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army, was until recently a Sikh by the name of General Joginder Jaswant Singh Marwaha, who was a consistent high-achiever. And, Bollywood recently brought out a film, “Singh is Kinng” which not only opened to full houses in India, but remarkably shattered records in Pakistan too. Further afield few adherents of English cricket could have failed to notice Monty Panesar<sup> </sup>assume a cult status in the UK. Sikhs proliferate in all walks of life, including the professions. In the words of Patwant Singh, a Delhi-based writer of some considerable renown, Sikhs today, “have come to be known for their commitment to education, their business acumen, and their enterprising spirit..” Indeed, for a religion that is only 500-years old, Sikhism is now the fourth largest religion in the world. It is all the more remarkable then, that the Sikh faith is little known and little understood by most people outside India. Indeed, on 27<sup>th</sup> November 2008 the European Court of Human Rights dismissed a legal challenge by one Shingara Singh, a 53-year old Parisian Sikh, to the French law requiring ID documents photos of motorists to appear “bareheaded and facing forward” when he argued that French law thereby imposed a ban on the wearing of turbans by Sikhs. Evidently, what Sikhism may have to generally contribute to the world today is hardly a matter of any concern anywhere. Indeed, half-a-century ago, Khushwant Singh’s laments about the Sikhs were not unfounded. The Sikh faith had indeed been struggling for survival. Decades of persecution in the seventeenth century followed by a half century of glorious sovereign rule under Maharajah Ranjit Singh was followed by annexation, partition, exodus and balkanisation of their territory in the eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth centuries<sup> </sup>so that “Sikhism became virtually submerged in Hinduism.” Yet, Sikhism managed not only to survive. It even flourished. Today, as a faith it is respected the world over for its principles of pragmatism, rationalism, and service to humanity. It should be a matter of general interest to Sikhs and non-Sikhs alike, therefore, as to why the Sikh religion has flourished as much as it has in the last 50-years since Khushwant Singh wrote his melancholy book about the Sikhs in the immediate years after Indian independence.
...Lets see who has the LAST LAUGH Dr Sahib !! The HUGE TREE that Guru nanak ji planted has so much BLOOD in its ROOTS that SIKHI will OUTLAST even the coming 2102 Apocalypse...Everything on Earth may be destroyed..BUT a SIKH will be standing to WELCOME the Alien Spaceships !! Tongue in cheek..really !!! EMPERORS that RULED over Vast Empires..those that ruled the WORLD where the Sun Never set..Worlds largest democracy..etc etc have cherished deep seated INNER DESIRE to see the LAST SIKH Disappear before their EYES..alas this wish never came true..not for Jehangir, aurengzeb, Queens Victoria..Indira Gandhi...and it WONT EVER happen...some "trees" just NEVER DIE/DRY UP..:interestedsingh::interestedsingh::interestedsingh::interestedsingh::interestedsingh:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
And where did this..SAVE TIME??? idea and the statement saying... of ALL Turbanned Sikhs having inner secret desires to cut their hair and "Save time" emerge from ?? Ha Ha ha..save time ?? Vast Majority of those are the ones who get up at 2am and do several HOURS of Naam japp...imho its ALL the Ghona_Mona (LISA) types who harbor secret inherent INFERIORITY COMPLEXES because they cant face the world as PROUD SAVA LAKH KHALSA types who fought iN Anandpur, Muktsar, Saragarrhii, WW I and WW II etc...and live lives hiding among the MAJORITY around them...
anyway..SAVING TIME ?? for what ?? bhangra parties in Pubs ?? hanging around girls college gates..hang out with drug taking buddies, sherab khannas, desi sherab stores? Those SAVING Time types are mostly Ghona_Mona Lisas...that I agree with 110%. Most Dastar wearing khalsa AVOID such :time saving" places..at least the ones i know do...they rather spend time at the Gurdawra doing paath/sewa/or nitnem....

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
drpranavsingh,
You are certainly entitled to your opinion abut kakkars, but please speak only for yourself. IMNSHO, you are way out of line making generalisations about keshdhari Sikhs. In the first place, grooming doesn't really take much time, as you would know if you had ever kept kesh. And, I always enjoy combing my own and my son's. My husband, when he was alive, was very proud, even vain about his beautiful hair. In fact, he was so proud of it, he chose to die rather than cut it. I find it very offensive that you would dare to insult him and others like him who love their kesh and find keeping it meaningful.

What you believe for yourself is your business. Just please don't extrapolate your opinions to the rest of us. Some of us actually enjoy being kakkardhari (is there such a word?) Sikhs. To me it is part of the experience of being a Sikh. It is deeply meaningful to me.

And, at the risk of offending some, there is no other man as attractive and strongly masculine as a Khalsa Singh, one worthy of being called Sardarji. A strong man, confident of who and what he is, is an asset not only to the Panth, but also an asset to the world. Part of the purpose of being a visible Sikh is to build strength and courage. Ditch the 5Ks? I think not! You can, but me, never! Being a Khalsa makes me what I am and I like that.

In short, please speak for yourself only. Do not pretend to speak for the rest of us. OK?

:tablakudi::tablakudi: japposatnamwaheguru: japposatnamwaheguru: japposatnamwaheguru: :tablakudi:

:grinningkaur:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
I know when I used to live in Punjab there were very few sikhs who dare to shave their beard and hair. They were full of sikhi. I missed those golden days. Whosoever were shaving used to be called Pattit. And I know it used to take months to come out from this shame. But now as the figures are coming up around 80% who have forsaken their sikhi swroop, this terms seems derogatory to them. As such they have now started predicting end of sikhi swroop, our guru gifted us even with price of their children.

Shame on you

Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
During the Famous Aklai MORCHAS of the 1920-19235's which brought the Britihs Govt to its KNEES and racist bigots like the Mahatma Gandhi also forced to acknowledge and send telegram to Baba Kharrak Singh ref: First Battle of Indian Independence WON " _ The Sikhs DIDNT know "politics"..thats why when India won Independence..another such Gandhi chela Nehru wrote to Master Tara Singh.."Times have CHANGED"...(meaning you are now slaves of US rather than the British ). Anyway there was this ONE MORCHA Called KIRPAN MORCHA..whereby the British govt tried to LIMIT the size of the Kirpan...and FAILED against the onslaught of the Sikh kaum...and the British Govt was wise enough and instead of saying.."Times have changed"..they Conferred the Award of KIRPAN BAHADUR of the Morcha Dictator who won this battle of Sikh and INDIAN INDEPENCE.

http://www.thesikhencyclopedia.com/the-british-and-sikhs-1849-1947/kirpan-morcha

justosh

SPNer
Jun 2, 2008
London

im sorry but what did you mean by the text in red.... as in literal or sarcasm?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Very good thought indeed. I want to say except those blinded by faith, and those compelled by their profession, almost all turbaned Sikhs have an inner secret desire to cut hair
I do not cut my hair and i wear a turban, yes in the past i have had thoughts about my hair, possibly cutting it...for a sikh this is to battle of the 5 thieves, the mind makes a million excuses to 'be like everyone else' 'life will be easier' 'i wont get looked at by others' etc etc. when a sikh becomes a Pure Khalsa, then his/her outer dress lights him/her up like a lighthouse so he stands out in the crowd and he/she helps ferry the population across the terrifying world ocean.

save time from hours of grooming every day. Most of them are in denial and write long posts on these forums trying to hide insecurities. The smart ones have cut hair, have saved time and self torture and are happy.
Hours of grooming?...what is it that you think we do? My morning consists of combing my hair (a minute at the most), tie my turban (5 minutes at the most), then 45 minutes Simran/meditation before i drive into work.

99.9% of the population is plundered into darkness of maya. if only 1 in millions becomes a puran khalsa, then there is always hope for mankind :)
This is not a game of numbers.

True Religion of Guru Nanak requires daily amrit Vela simran. This in itself will take you out of your comfort zone, your mind will make millions of excuses not to do it...'no one else does, why should i', 'i've got work in the morning, i need my sleep' etc etc.
In the end, everything a true practicing 'seeker of the truth' sikh does makes him different to 99.9% of the population. The battle with the mind starts...the sikh has two options 1. get into my comfort zone and be like everyone else or 2. climb the spiritual ladder, one step at a time and understand why 99.9% of the population is in darkness...experience the light, and then help others to experience it also.

God bless all.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

OK lets say for 1 second your comment is right:

This would mean:

1) We ignore all Bani in the Guru Granth Sahib ji written by other Guru's because we ONLY listen to that Bani of Nanak

2) We ignore the fact that Nanak passed on the GUruship to Guru Angad.

3) We ignore the fact there appears to be no change in message between the 1st Nanak to the 10th.

shall I go on?:tablakudi:

buddhushah

SPNer
Nov 17, 2010
Its Disgusting To Hear. This Is A Big Discouragement To We Foreigner Who Embraced Sikhism. The Problem Of The Sikhs Are With The Sikhs Themselves
Here In Lagos Nigeria. Odenary Common Announcement One Hear The Sikhs Announcing It In Punjabi Language. There Is No Respect For Human Dignity As If God And The Masters Will Send A Curse If Simple English Is Spoken.

I Embraced Sikhism Twenty(20) Years Ago Out Of Simple Convictions, And I Keep My Hier And Turban.

a sikh was born to look ,live and die DIFFERENT.so no excuse is acceptable,what so ever.[KHALSA AKAL PURAKH KI FAUJ,soldiers alwaysare different from common.]lets be happy that chaff is getting separated from grain.sikhism is not everybodys cup of tea.[KHANEO TIKHI WALLO NIKKI ET MARAG JANA,3rd master/anand sahib]let us not dilute the standards set by the masters .my congratulations to triloruf ji,may the almighty bless us all to be worthy of his fauj.

Feb 1, 2010
OK lets say for 1 second your comment is right:

This would mean:

1) We ignore all Bani in the Guru Granth Sahib ji written by other Guru's because we ONLY listen to that Bani of Nanak

2) We ignore the fact that Nanak passed on the GUruship to Guru Angad.

3) We ignore the fact there appears to be no change in message between the 1st Nanak to the 10th.

shall I go on?:tablakudi:
You can go on till you start making any sense. Read everything again and tell me how in present context, Turban is different from Janeu?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: