• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Journey To Him Described By Satguru

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
A Journey to Him Described by Satguru

The following Shabad I am going to share with all SPN Sangat is very popular since it has been sung by different Ragis. It is by fifth Nanak in Rag Soohi. It is an emotional journey worded by Sahib ji. Here it is:
ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਉਮਕਿਓ ਹੀਉ ਮਿਲਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤਾਈ ਖੋਜਤ ਚਰਿਓ ਦੇਖਉ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਜਾਈ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਦੇਸਰੋ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਿ ਸੇਜ ਵਿਛਾਈ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਆਇਓ ਤਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਪਾਈ ਕਿਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਹੀਅਰੋ ਧੀਰੈ ਨਿਮਾਨੋ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਜਨ ਹਉ ਤੁਝੁ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੋ ਰਹਾਉ ਏਕਾ ਸੇਜ ਵਿਛੀ ਧਨ ਕੰਤਾ ਧਨ ਸੂਤੀ ਪਿਰੁ ਸਦ ਜਾਗੰਤਾ ਪੀਓ ਮਦਰੋ ਧਨ ਮਤਵੰਤਾ ਧਨ ਜਾਗੈ ਜੇ ਪਿਰੁ ਬੋਲੰਤਾ ਭਈ ਨਿਰਾਸੀ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਦਿਨ ਲਾਗੇ ਦੇਸ ਦਿਸੰਤਰ ਮੈ ਸਗਲੇ ਝਾਗੇ ਖਿਨੁ ਰਹਨੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਉ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਗ ਪਾਗੇ ਹੋਇ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਿਲਹ ਸਭਾਗੇ ਭਇਓ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਸਤਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ਬੂਝੀ ਤਪਤਿ ਘਰਹਿ ਪਿਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਸਗਲ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਹੁਣਿ ਮੁਝਹਿ ਸੁਹਾਇਆ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਇਆ ਜਹ ਦੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਪਿਰੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਖੋਲ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਓ ਕਪਾਟੁ ਤਾ ਮਨੁ ਠਹਰਾਈ ਰਹਾਉ ਦੂਜਾ {ਪੰਨਾ 737-738}
I am going to discuss Shabad waak by waak since it is about a spiritual journey, at every stop, different state of mind is expressed.
(Meaning in essence: I am filled with excitement since a longing to meet Lord has blossomed in my heart and it has infused my mind to search for Him. I have wandered all over but haven’t got your grace oh my Lord. However, hearing your news I have prepared my heart for the union. (1)
A committed spiritual-journey seeker starts with a longing for Him and is prepared the heart to realize Him. This Guru waak is loaded with hints. Why does heart need to be prepared (bedding for Him in heart) to realize Him? Answer is well expressed in Jap Ji” “ gaveeai, sunye mann rakhye bhaao”( singing and hearing His praise and have filled up the heart with love for Him is essential.) That is a vital step one has to take to go on the spiritual journey. Indication is also given here about all other means to realize Him and their inability to help out the seeker. When the seeker prepares the heart for Him, a lot of change occurs in behaviour. The ego is ruptured which is very important for the preparation for the union with The Almighty. Eventually it is wiped out completely. It is a fundamental principle of Sikhism.

(Meaning in essence: Oh Lord how this poor heart can be stilled without you? No It cannot. So please meet me I sacrifice on you! (1 pause)

In materialistic world there is no stable happiness regardless what one achieves except for momentarily joy; however, in spiritual world it becomes unending reality. What is the secret? To be involved with Him without any distraction what so ever. It is the mind that gets stilled by being in love with Him. If any one follows the Guru, with His grace, results will be amazing, and then the state of mind goes beyond words. Can it happen? It is very much possible. Battle against ego must be won.

(Meaning in essence: There is only one bed in the heart on which Lord and soul wife reside. Soul wife remains intoxicated by Maya while the Lord always stays awake. Soul wife can only be awakened if He bestows the grace on it. (2)

The guru waak clearly expresses how we remain lost in materialistic world in stead of getting lost in His memory. Sleeping is a reference towards our being looted by Maya and our inability to realize that situation. We can be awakened or may not be; it depends on His Will ( Hukam). Without His grace we just stay in there. When we turn towards Him, and infuse a longing for Him, with Guru’s blessings, His grace is bestowed. Indication to the followers is not to grossly involve in this materialistic world because it works as a wall against Him and us.(Japji)

(Meaning in essence: Oh my friend, I have been searching for Him, a lot of time has elapsed and I am exhausted and sad. I am sure there will be no peace unless I fall on His feet, (in His refuge). If He shows his kindness I will be fortunate ( 3.)

Here the plight of a seeker is sad but hopeful for His grace. Search is done to meet Him but in vain. If He bestows kindness, exultation is possible but not without true guidance of Guru and His grace. Here again stress is on Guru and Will of God.

( Meaning: in essence : With His kindness finally I have joined company of those who praise Him all the time without any distraction of the world. In the company of those true seekers, the burning fire of vices is put out and I have found the Lord within. The efforts I have made to be in love with Him, suit me well now. Guru has dispelled all illusions and my wandering mind is stilled. In this state of mind, whichever way I look, I see only Him ( 4, Pause 2nd )

Here importance of Guru is made clearer. All the illusions that work as a wall between the soul and the Creator are shattered with the guidance and blessings of Guru. Company of True Seekers ( Sadh Sangat) is also very important because it is environment that affects us mostly.
In what realm the soul is landed after having Guru’s guidance and His grace? There where only His presence is visible. Ego is finished and world around is changed.
Beautifully Satguru narrates about spiritual journey and the barriers we face with. Seeker’s sincere love for Him and Guru’s right guidance lead the seeker to higher realm because right guidance of Guru and sincere love of the seeker, work together for His grace. No ritual is discussed here. No need of pilgrimage is required.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

With your forgiveness, I know that you have a problem with Internet translations of SGGS. And you are providing us with your interpretation of Bani. I would ask one thing of you. For people who cannot read Gurmukhi, but who would also like to follow your interpretation line by line, would you post the transliteration. There are many Punjabi speakers who will understand this but cannot follow Gurmukhi script.

Example,

ਉਮਕਿਓ ਹੀਉ ਮਿਲਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤਾਈ ॥
oumakiou heeo milan prabh thaaee ||

If you would like, I would be glad to perform this seva for you at any time. Just so we can get the full benefit of what you are doing.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
pk70 ji

With your forgiveness, I know that you have a problem with Internet translations of SGGS. And you are providing us with your interpretation of Bani. I would ask one thing of you. For people who cannot read Gurmukhi, but who would also like to follow your interpretation line by line, would you post the transliteration. There are many Punjabi speakers who will understand this but cannot follow Gurmukhi script.

Example,

ਉਮਕਿਓ ਹੀਉ ਮਿਲਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤਾਈ ॥
oumakiou heeo milan prabh thaaee ||

If you would like, I would be glad to perform this seva for you at any time. Just so we can get the full benefit of what you are doing.

aad0002 ji

Thanks for asking and kind words

Next time, when I post my translated message, I shall make sure to put it next to the Gurmukhi-Guru Waak. I am glad you honoured me for that kind of service with full co operation.
For the above Guru waak, here is my translation as per my limited ability
My heart has got excited to see Waheguru)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
PK70 Ji and Aad Ji,

I'm really enjoying this translation from Prof. Sahib Singh. It seems almost like a connected story, I've forgotten that I was sleepy.
This is hard work on PK70's part of providing the english translation.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have this file that some of you may find interesting. It is by Sahib Singh. Maybe you have read it.

Tell me if it shows up in your browser. I have never been able to make attachments work.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
I have this file that some of you may find interesting. It is by Sahib Singh. Maybe you have read it.

Tell me if it shows up in your browser. I have never been able to make attachments work.

aad0002 ji

Thanks. Yes it does. I read it already. Try to put on the site. Dr. Sahib Singh ji tried his best to shatter all doubts as some people fabricated stories about different Shabadas. He is the first scholar, I am aware of, to challenge Communist scholars who started saying that Bhagat bani is not according to Gurmat. Logically he proved them wrong. No contradiction exists in Guru Granth sahib ji as they claimed.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM