• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Yogism 3HO Winter Solstice

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Re: 3HO Winter Solace

Kanwaljit ji, please elaborate as to how and what seems a disrespect of Baani.

sukritkaur

SPNer
Dec 19, 2011
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Respected Kanwaljit Veer,
I send a thundering Gurfateh!
Hope you're doing well.
It's best not to bother yourself too much over the practices of 3HO, as I've noticed their primary focus is to spread yoga, and Sikhism is a secondary motive. I spent a while reading about them in the writings or Dr. Trilochan Singh and every one of his points astounded me. Also, as you took note of earlier in a different thread ex-followers such as Gursant Singh and others have come forward and regularily expose them and their "interpretation" and I use that word loosely, of Sikhi. I think when they hear us object to them they take it as a personal attack, I mean imagine spending your whole life working towards being a yoga guru and then realizing it conflicts with your religion? It isn't squarely their fault, it is human nature to overlook the negatives of ones actions, especially if one has vested interests in its success (3HO is a major business venture)

I've come to the conclusion that unless we have some form of face to face discourse with them where they don't feel like they're in a poisoned environment or surrounded by individuals with bias, we won't get anywhere. They feel, according to my own deductions, that they are being marginalised by the majority (Indian Sikhs) because they practice differently and as such turn a blind eye to suggestion, whether they be objective or not. If we have a discussion with them where each side can place arguments and counter-arguments, even if they don't promptly discontinue their practices and realize the true Sikhi which lies in Baani, they will still leave educated to some degree and this may spark room for introspection and actual questioning of the reasoning behind their practices and mantras.

At the end of the day some of these people, a collective of whom are in their late thirties early forties have spent their entire lives working for 3HO, from the beginning of this organizations' business establishments. A person at that age, although I cannot speak for everyone of course, has already internalized a sort of belief system which they adhere to, is deeply rooted, and which will no doubt oppose any questioning as it threatens their legitimacy and also reflects their decision-making abilities considering this was how they decided to spend their lives.

I plan to go out there and actually record and speak to 3HO followers and set up a small discussion with them if they allow me, when I'm old enough. Although they are a tad bit misguided, I believe we have a lot to learn from them too.

Pardon any questionable statements, and as always I learn best from your input so don't hesitate to put me in my place, if need be
I admire your inquisitive nature, because if we don't question however will we understand and unearth the truth?
Thanks,
Sukrit Kaur

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

It's best not to bother yourself too much over the practices of 3HO

Hmm that is the first thing I thought after posting it here. 3HO sells itself as Sikh Dharma in the west. But it is not doing any Sikhi prachar. But I still don't understand, if they have to get people to dance or stretch, why bring Gurbani to the stage?

I think when they hear us object to them they take it as a personal attack, I mean imagine spending your whole life working towards being a yoga guru and then realizing it conflicts with your religion? It isn't squarely their fault, it is human nature to overlook the negatives of ones actions, especially if one has vested interests in its success (3HO is a major business venture)

I understand what you are saying. But that's what Sikhi is about. When you come face to face with Truth, all your chains and shackles are broken down. These people are clinging more to their beliefs.

I've come to the conclusion that unless we have some form of face to face discourse with them where they don't feel like they're in a poisoned environment or surrounded by individuals with bias, we won't get anywhere.

Truly said. I used to think like that some time ago, and I believe some part of me is lost in judging these people, sitting in the comfort of my room.

They feel, according to my own deductions, that they are being marginalised by the majority (Indian Sikhs) because they practice differently and as such turn a blind eye to siggestion, whether they be objective or not.

I feel they are being promoted in Sikh nation before they are 'foreigners' who have 'embraced' Sikhi. Everywhere you will see their photos in the FB albums of people like us. They get too much attention when they visit India. No one bothers telling them.

What is further surprising is that they continue to give camp participants Baana and Khalsa surnames, when they know it will be discarded once those people leave the camp.

I plan to go out there and actually record and speak to 3HO followers and set up a small discussion with them if they allow me, when I'm old enough. Although they are a tad bit misguided, I believe we have a lot to learn from them too.

That is indeed a novel idea. One of my friends met one such lady in Belgium. And he found that she was more of a Yoga teacher than a Sikh, it didn't matter to her enough she was doing something wrong in the latter regard.

Khalsa Panth was formed to bring about unity and have a sense of belonging. And it's our luck if we can be guided on the right way by the Panth. I am not asking to exclude them or something, but Gurbani deserves the utmost respect.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Sukritkaur ji

A very nicely worded post. I thoroughly agree with all your points.

I personally have learnt a great deal from certain members, and these specific people certainly inspired me and were a huge influence.

They do have a lot of respect for the punjabi sikhs although I do get the impression that they feel somewhat shunned and not accepted by them.
However, like you mentioned they stay very strongly tuned to their own internalised belief system.

It is very easy for punajbis to be critical as most of the original and early members were youths from hippie movements looking to find peace, family and harmony with the world. They have since come a long way from that in this direction of sikhi and do portray a positive image of sikhism to fellow white folk or goras that may not have enough knowledge.

Sat kartar
Luckysingh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

sukritkaur ji just one comment.

Pardon any questionable statements, and as always I learn best from your input so don't hesitate to put me in my place, if need be

I think you need to be put in your place. Recalling my capacities and intellect at your age you put me to shame.

I continue to be enamored with your intellect, civility and substance in your posts. The future of Sikhism belongs to the likes of you in the young generation. May you continue in the brilliance you possess. mundahug cheeringmunda wahkaurwahmunda

I believe your 3HO dialog could be extremely worthwhile if carried out with win-win zeal. We always need to build bridges that two sides can cross the divide through.
Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Code:
Veera I approve that in the land of the obese it is no bad thing to do a little yoga.

THEY do LOOK much better than the PUNJABIS i see daily in Darbar sahib on satellite telecast...and just look at the pot bellied granthis....they could learn a trick or two from these too...I havent yet come cross an obese 3HO member..female or male...whereas 90% of the Punjabis are pot bellied and females are having spare tyres everywhere...he he

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I think the problem is that they are confused about themselves. Are they 3HO Yogis, Sikhs or simply fun loving Americans?

I don't want to be a judge.

1. Are they Yogis?
May be doing Yoga practices but not Yogis that you find in India who have nothin to do with Sikhism and are a respected off-shoot of Hinduism.

2. Are they Sikhs?
I believe they are great Sikhs in persona and intellect. Again there is a bit of bias in terms of how it all fits. But I have a lot of respect for such versus some of those claiming to be Sikhs here at SPN who are greatly misguiding. 3HO people stand for whatever they are. More dangerous are the people who stand for X but pretend to be Y.

3. simply fun loving Americans?
It is very unfortunate that a line of thought is being pushed out by preachers in Sikhism fo great self-doubt, stop living and just chant/meditate on Waheguru Waheguru. Sikhism is much bigger than this.

Sikhism is joyful. It is not painful. It is not to suffocate your soul and blindly believe. It is fresh as morning dew and something full of fun and soul food. I enjoy and love to see the joie-de-vivre (the fun of living) in 3HO Sikhs versus some of the somber looking, closed eyed and dejected grave intro-specters walking Sikh zombies. This is quite common in traditional congregations in the West as well as Punjab. I believe all need to and can learn from 3HO on this aspect.
Kanwaljit Singh ji and Manni Singh 85 ji there is a saying that proof is in the pudding. If I were to go out with say a Badal or a 3HO person who you think I will rather be with? You guessed it, a 3HO person.

There are more possibilities of interaction and superior interaction with a 3HO (perhaps little mis-guided in certain areas) person than it would be with corrupt of the corrupt and morally bankrupt politicians and other such claiming to be Sikhs.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM