• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

You Are Going To Die Tomorrow

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Guru pyari saadh sangat ji,

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa,
Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

For quite some time, these thoughts were coming to me, and today I could share these with you.

Waheguru's attributes are described in the mool mantra. You may like to look at Amarpal ji's articles about his understanding of the Japji Sahib bani. Mool Mantra talks about nirbhau, nirvair, akaal. and mainly I am limiting my talk abt these three attributes only, in this post.

Consider a hypothetical situation. I come to know that I am going to die tomorrow, or let s say in a month or year, whatever time comfortable with you, and put yourself in that shoe of mine. In that case, when I know my departure time, what kind of mindset I will have?

I see someone being tortured in front of my eyes, or any other kind of oppression, I guess, I am going to go there without caring for my own life, as anyway I know tomorrow is going to be my last day! So why not serve the oppressed ones.

I see other person not able to meet his daily needs, due to any reason. Due to my kirt karna, vand chakkna, I am going to share my earnings with the other one, or help him in his terrible times. Anyway, money is not going to be of any use to me, when already my end is so near.

And in fact, end is so near, that I even dont know if next breath is going to be there or not.. why to wait till tomorrow even. I mean, when I know timelessness has started for me, it has stood still perhaps, I am anyway moving to the Akaal. I am Akaal then.

Sikhism teaches so wonderful principles to Khalsa, telling the importance of living a human useful life, making a single Khalsa as good as 'Akaal Purakh dee Fauj'

Amrit has made so many significant changes in my life at such a high speed, I cant even imagine, and wonder how can I keep on staying away from my beloved Father - Guru Gobind Singh. A belonging comes to mind... A desire to be with Him. A sense of protection and will to protect others, as if something is behind me Always to care of me. IMHO Khalsa is an embodiment of those attributes of Mool mantra.

Just curious, what are you going to do, when you know you are going to leave the world tomorrow, and get a birth (other people may be calling it death!)

Thanks for hearing this.

Regards, Arvind.

Aug 13, 2004
US
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru ji ki Fateh

I come to know that I am going to die tomorrow, what kind of mindset I will have?

Arvind Ji, a Gursikh must live each moment thinking that it is his last moment. Everything else is a lie, only 'death' is the truth. Ever since I have realized this I have stopped celebrating my birthday. Each birthday reminds me how little time I am left with. It panics me when I think I have nothing (No Kamai of Simran) to take along for the long journey back to Akaal Purkh.

I see someone being tortured in front of my eyes, or any other kind of oppression, I guess, I am going to go there without caring for my own life, as anyway I know tomorrow is going to be my last day! So why not serve the oppressed ones.

I see other person not able to meet his daily needs, due to any reason. Due to my kirt karna, vand chakkna, I am going to share my earnings with the other one, or help him in his terrible times. Anyway, money is not going to be of any use to me, when already my end is so near.

Good deeds that you and I do; like helping others; are not enough to find place in Sach Khand.

krm Drm pwKMf jo dIsih iqn jmu jwgwqI lUtY ] ( SGGSJ Page 747)
The religious rites, rituals and hypocrisies which are seen, are plundered by the Messenger of Death, the ultimate tax collector.

inrbwx kIrqnu gwvhu krqy kw inmK ismrq ijqu CUtY ]1]
In the state of Nirvaanaa, sing the Kirtan of the Creator`s Praises; contemplating Him in meditation, even for an instant, one is saved. ||1||

Just curious, what are you going to do, when you know you are going to leave the world tomorrow, and get a birth (other people may be calling it death!)

I know I am going to die 'one day' and I also know what I should do i.e. Naam Japna. So I pray to Waheguru ji to bless me with uddam for Naam Simran, keep me in company of GurSikhs "Jina Miliayaan Tera Naam Chit Aavei" & such GurSikhan di dhoor.

As long as we are alive and valid...we have to live fulfilling our worldly duites as brothers/sisters, sons/daughters, spouses and parents. This is also Guru's hukam that we must follow & remember Him with each breath.

Prabhjot Kaur

Last edited by a moderator:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Arvind ji

excellent fllow of thoughts you have , just as you mentioned I can also feel very strange at times thinking in same way
when some unexpected death happens in hospital or some body diagnosed a terminal condition it just hit my consciousness very hard and compell me think efffectively and make use of my life in a proper way .

Good deeds that you and I do; like helping others; are not enough to find place in Sach Khand.
Dear Prabjyot kaur ji
I agree with you but the thing is actually one cant help anybody until in true sense until he really understand the true purpose of life and that he can only get with Akal Purakhs grace and for that we do Naam Simran and as i believe if somebody just think that he do naam japna and rest like worldly duties are jsut like neccesary evil we have to perform that he is absolutely wrong
as there is no other way to relate to Akal The only way is by serving the Creation of akal
so naam japna is just a fuel and the real product is what we do for others and in this way you can serve akaal which is the only ppurpose we have in life

Aug 13, 2004
US
drkhalsa said:
one cant help anybody until in true sense until he really understand the true purpose of life and that he can only get with Akal Purakhs grace and for that we do Naam Simran and as i believe if somebody just think that he do naam japna and rest like worldly duties are jsut like neccesary evil we have to perform that he is absolutely wrong
as there is no other way to relate to Akal The only way is by serving the Creation of akal
so naam japna is just a fuel and the real product is what we do for others and in this way you can serve akaal which is the only ppurpose we have in life

Agree with you completely. Sewa and Simran go hand in hand.

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
What if you were not Amritdhari? Would you try to shak amrit before you die? Or would you decline, not out of disrespect for Amrit, but out of humbleness and not wanting to appear "fake"?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Amerikaur said:
What if you were not Amritdhari? Would you try to shak amrit before you die? Or would you decline, not out of disrespect for Amrit, but out of humbleness and not wanting to appear "fake"?
Amerikaur ji,
In your question, I see a hidden feeling that lot of people express i.e. "I will take Amrit, only when I am perfect" Guru ji has commanded Sikhs to be amritdhari, and accept Gurmat. In that situation, sikhs ask for His prasad.
Pls write back, if I misinterpreted your writing.
Regards.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Amerikaur said:
OK, is there something wrong with not taking Amrit when one knows that one will fall from it? Are non-Amritdharis non-Sikhs?
If one knows dead-sure about falling from the Rehat, I feel, it is better not to go for it. At least some rehearsal (or still better practice) is required, to ensure ourselves that we are going to take care of the rehat.

I am no judge to say anything about who is who! however, Amrtidharis can be taken as a stage of Sikhs who have given their head to Guru.

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
That makes sense to me!

In the context of dying, though...I have heard of a few people taking Amrit or accepting Christ or other sorts of "inductions" in their waning days of life. I have no issue with such stories, and actually rather like them, as I feel that such a thing often brings comfort to a grieving family.

However, if it were me...a non-amritdhari...and I was dying...would I take Amrit? I don't know! I have not taken it yet because I know I am not ready to live LIFE that way. Could I live my last week or so, that way...probably. But to take amrit for that seems disingenuous. If I was certain that Guruji would want me to take Amrit, regardless, I would. But to take it just to leave the world as an Amridhari, where I did not live life as an Amritdhari...I don't know if I can bring myself to say that I deserve that.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: